Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1341 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:22 pm

So, I haven't seen this guy's fights yet, but I read that he had taken like one single punch across both? Seems smart to me to parlay a training camp into three paychecks, as long as you aren't taking damage.

For an example of how NOT to do this, see Bisping jumping in and getting KTFO by Kelvin a few days after being sent to the nether realm by GSP.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#1342 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:20 pm

REDDzone wrote:So, I haven't seen this guy's fights yet, but I read that he had taken like one single punch across both? Seems smart to me to parlay a training camp into three paychecks, as long as you aren't taking damage.

For an example of how NOT to do this, see Bisping jumping in and getting KTFO by Kelvin a few days after being sent to the nether realm by GSP.

In his 2 fights:
Landed 192 strikes
Has absorbed 2 strikes

Really curious what he can do against legit competition. So far his first two fights have been crazy to watch.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,278

Post#1343 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11 pm

REDDzone wrote:So, I haven't seen this guy's fights yet, but I read that he had taken like one single punch across both? Seems smart to me to parlay a training camp into three paychecks, as long as you aren't taking damage.

And he’s in talks to fight again on one of the next UFC cards in the coming weeks. That’s insane.

Bisping had no business fighting on such a quick turnaround vs Gastellum just 3 weeks after the GSP fight. He took a lot of damage, got choked out, and mentally it had to strip of him his confidence. I thought that was terrible idea from a physical and mental standpoint.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,278

Post#1344 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:23 pm

I’ve been rewatching some older Gustaffson fights and I was really impressed with both his takedowns and takedown defense. In the first Jones fight he landed two takedowns on Jones and stuffed like 8-9 attempts. In the Cormier fight he took Cormier down twice in one round, and then did well to get off his back to get back to his feet when DC was on top of him.

To be fair, Jones didn’t really train or take that first fight too seriously so he wasn’t as sharp as he could’ve been and DC had that big slam on him — but still, I’ll take nothing away from him; that’s two of the premier wrestling/grappling LHW’s.

I really hate to see Alex eating so many losses because at one point he was mixing it up with the greatest fighters in the world. Still want to see him get back to that level.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#1345 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:17 pm

So khabib apparently tweeted October - Justin April- gsp... I guess that’s what started all this talk. I didn’t realise he had sent out that tweet though
Dupp
RealGM

Post#1346 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#1347 » by Headliner » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:08 pm

What’s his story? Was he one of the guys involved in the brawl?
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#1348 » by aggerrard » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Headliner wrote:What’s his story? Was he one of the guys involved in the brawl?

Likely not. Living and training in Sweden.

Obvious attempt to claim some more fame.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1349 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:21 am

Wait, what's his beef? I assumed it was some nationalistic nonsense, but he's from Sweden via Chechnya?

Pleaseee don't tell me this guy has the Kadyrov thing going on? He seems like he'd be a fun guy to root for but I can't get on board with that.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#1350 » by Dupp » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:18 am

REDDzone wrote:Wait, what's his beef? I assumed it was some nationalistic nonsense, but he's from Sweden via Chechnya?

Pleaseee don't tell me this guy has the Kadyrov thing going on? He seems like he'd be a fun guy to root for but I can't get on board with that.

A few things. First of all Connor called him a rat lip and then deleted the tweet which is what his first tweet was in retaliation too.

Is he Muslim ? Connor probably said a lot of stuff about religion with the khabib beef.

Also like the other dude said he’s getting his fame up. He’s pretty hot right now and the fastest way to get hotter is through Connor.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#1351 » by Dupp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:40 am

Yeah dudes chasing that fame

Read on Twitter
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#1352 » by spykelee » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:20 am

Connor tweeting in Tagalog that "he accepts" hinting at a matchup with Manny Pac. I'm so sick of this guy. Stfu and fight somebody in your sport or stay retired and go away.

Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1353 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:11 am

spykelee wrote:Connor tweeting in Tagalog that "he accepts" hinting at a matchup with Manny Pac. I'm so sick of this guy. Stfu and fight somebody in your sport or stay retired and go away.

Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app

Lol serious question, why even follow his dumb*ss? I see no redeeming qualities.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1354 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:18 am

REDDzone wrote:Buchecha is entering MMA. Honestly surprised by this one. There were rumors back when he was 24-25, but he's on the wrong end of 30 now and post a bad knee injury. IDK how this ends up going.

WITH THAT SAID, dude will be the most explosive athlete to ever cross over from BJJ to MMA. Yes, including prime Jacare. I'm not sure it's even close tbh.

Pretty sure he has 13 Mundials gold medals and 2 ADCC golds.

In case anyone is interested, Buchecha officially signed with OneFC. Sucks he also signed with Ali. ☹️

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1355 » by Susan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:53 am

REDDzone wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Buchecha is entering MMA. Honestly surprised by this one. There were rumors back when he was 24-25, but he's on the wrong end of 30 now and post a bad knee injury. IDK how this ends up going.

WITH THAT SAID, dude will be the most explosive athlete to ever cross over from BJJ to MMA. Yes, including prime Jacare. I'm not sure it's even close tbh.

In case anyone is interested, Buchecha officially signed with OneFC. Sucks he also signed with Ali. ☹️

He's AKA no?

Jesus.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1356 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:03 am

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

He's AKA no?

Jesus.

That's a good question. Idk. I'm pretty sure AKA affiliated with Leo Vieira from Checkmat after they were done with Dave Camarillo. Buchecha is Checkmat so he was training with those guys for sure. I'm not positive if that's his primary team or if he's just AKA secondarily kind of like Jon Jones is Gracie Barra secondarily after Jackson's.

Not 100% sure but it would obvs make sense. Especially with DC and Cain out the door.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#1357 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:31 am

Whittaker’s fighting cannonier at ufc 254. Quick turnaround for rob and the winner almost certainly gonna face the winner of costa vs Izzy.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1358 » by Susan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:08 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

He's AKA no?

Jesus.

That's a good question. Idk. I'm pretty sure AKA affiliated with Leo Vieira from Checkmat after they were done with Dave Camarillo. Buchecha is Checkmat so he was training with those guys for sure. I'm not positive if that's his primary team or if he's just AKA secondarily kind of like Jon Jones is Gracie Barra secondarily after Jackson's.

Not 100% sure but it would obvs make sense. Especially with DC and Cain out the door.

Leo is one of the best minds in BJJ from what Comprido used to say about him. The level of grappling talent at AKA is absurd. Between DC/Leo/Buchecha/Khabib and his boys/Cain/Rockhold when he's there.

Buchecha is going to be a mauler. I'd pay money to see him roll with DC.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#1359 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:34 pm

Dupp wrote:Whittaker’s fighting cannonier at ufc 254. Quick turnaround for rob and the winner almost certainly gonna face the winner of costa vs Izzy.

Great start to that 254 card. I'm curious if Rob was made aware he wasn't a lock for the next shot, or he just doesn't want to sit out that long, since he has had so many long waits in between fights over the last few years.

Either way, I think it's a very winnable fight for him. I'm hoping we see more wrestling from him. His offensive wrestling needs to become a legit threat if he wants any kind of chance to beat Izzy.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#1360 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:22 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Dupp wrote:Whittaker’s fighting cannonier at ufc 254. Quick turnaround for rob and the winner almost certainly gonna face the winner of costa vs Izzy.

Great start to that 254 card. I'm curious if Rob was made aware he wasn't a lock for the next shot, or he just doesn't want to sit out that long, since he has had so many long waits in between fights over the last few years.

Either way, I think it's a very winnable fight for him. I'm hoping we see more wrestling from him. His offensive wrestling needs to become a legit threat if he wants any kind of chance to beat Izzy.

I don’t think rob really cares that much. Said eventually have to fight everyone anyway. He knows the title shot will come.

Only thing is he actually said a couple days ago his next fight should be costa, Izzy or Hermansson. Assuming he just thought Hermansson was the next in line over cannonier. Either way it’s great the way things worked out because the timeline will fit perfectly to fight the winner of costa vs Izzy. Assuming it’s not an epic fight.

On a side note Hermansson said he wants to fight rob next and has no interest in fighting till. Makes sense but looks like he’s gonna be fighting till next if till can get healthy.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts