ImageImageImage

Scrimmage Thread – Celtics vs Rockets – 8PM, Tues., July 28, 2020

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Re: Scrimmage Thread – Celtics vs Rockets – 8PM, Tues., July 28, 2020 

Post#1061 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:39 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is he somehow related to Kyrie?

and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#1062 » by captain green » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:41 am

Can I get a boxscore vs rockets please?
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#1063 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:43 am

captain green wrote:Can I get a boxscore vs rockets please?

https://stats.nba.com/game/0011900132/

Tacko Fall is the lone Celtic that wasn't a negative in +/-. Everyone else was double-digit negative. Tacko for MVP!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#1064 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:47 am

Wanamaker with 4 turnovers is pretty brutal. His limitations are exemplified when he has to handle the ball. I’m really hoping he doesn’t get many mins in playoffs but I think Brad can’t help himself and will give him 10+
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#1065 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:50 am

Not much to takeaway from this BUT I think Semi looks very improved offensively and as a catch and shoot player. Grant looked amazing tonight on both ends. Romeo on defense with his length and his slashing ability is helpful.

Top 7 is solidified but Semi and Grant are 100% in the rotation. Romeo and Wanamaker I think are the 9th and 10th guys depending on matchups if Kanter can’t go due to his matchup.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#1066 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:55 am

It looks like Wanamaker is in the top 8 rotation based on the first 2 scrimmages where he was playing with the starters in the first half.

I think that’s pretty concerning for their playoff chances to make a deep run if he’s getting minutes
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,354

Post#1067 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:37 am

Wanamaker is a fourth string guard in reality but we often rely on him to be a back up one. I was watching the Orlando Denver game the other night and I saw how solid a guy like DJ Agustin is and I wonder why we can’t get a solid vet like that at the position. I know the Jameer Nelson thing blew up in our faces but guys like Tyus Jones, Ish Smith, Agustin would all be helpful to running our second unit. Ainge clearly has no interest in that archetype.

If we rely on Wanamaker for 15 minutes a night we might be in trouble
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#1068 » by return2glory » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:46 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:Wanamaker is a fourth string guard in reality but we often rely on him to be a back up one. I was watching the Orlando Denver game the other night and I saw how solid a guy like DJ Agustin is and I wonder why we can’t get a solid vet like that at the position. I know the Jameer Nelson thing blew up in our faces but guys like Tyus Jones, Ish Smith, Agustin would all be helpful to running our second unit. Ainge clearly has no interest in that archetype.

Marcus Smart says hi.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#1069 » by reload141 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:47 am

return2glory wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:Wanamaker is a fourth string guard in reality but we often rely on him to be a back up one. I was watching the Orlando Denver game the other night and I saw how solid a guy like DJ Agustin is and I wonder why we can’t get a solid vet like that at the position. I know the Jameer Nelson thing blew up in our faces but guys like Tyus Jones, Ish Smith, Agustin would all be helpful to running our second unit. Ainge clearly has no interest in that archetype.

Marcus Smart says hi.

I've always wanted Ish Smith seeing as every time we play him he cooks us.

But so much this, Marcus and Hayward should handle a lot of the playmaking seeing as those two are the best playmakers on the team.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#1070 » by djFan71 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:59 am

Romeo and Grant looked good. Those 2 and Wanamaker hopefully round out the 10 man rotation going forward. Spot/matchup minutes for Timelord & Semi.
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#1071 » by GWVan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:33 am

I tried to watch but didn't make it to halftime. I usually like Scal but his James Harden fan club act got old fast.
At least that is what I'm telling myself. I'm surprised in general at my lack of interest in this bizarro world version of the NBA. I would have thought I was so starved for basketball or any entertainment of any king that I would have been all in.
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#1072 » by Dave_From_NB » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:51 am

GWVan wrote:I tried to watch but didn't make it to halftime. I usually like Scal but his James Harden fan club act got old fast.
At least that is what I'm telling myself. I'm surprised in general at my lack of interest in this bizarro world version of the NBA. I would have thought I was so starved for basketball or any entertainment of any king that I would have been all in.

Being a meaningless scrimmage I'm sure had a lot to do with it, but I found it a pretty uninspiring product. I hate sports in the summer, as I'd rather be outside doing something than sitting inside, so day games I often don't watch. But last night I gave up the game to read an ebook. No doubt I'll watch the C's games, at least the ones in the evening, but I can't imagine bothering to watch any other games.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,435

Post#1073 » by Triple7 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:05 pm

I would have taken Crawford in a heartbeat than wanamaker. He would have been great next to smart, and would carry the 2nd unit offense.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#1074 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Idk why people are dumping so much on Wanamaker. He handled the ball more than usual because the top 7 guys on the team were out. He's taking more shots than usual because the top 7 guys on the team aren't there to take them.

I don't mind him taking a lot of shots. He actually plays, unlike most of the people who were on the court for Boston last night. So he needs to be ready to go. And when the real games start, he won't be taking a lot of shots.
Krkrich
Senior
And1: 419

Post#1075 » by Krkrich » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 pm

GWVan wrote:I tried to watch but didn't make it to halftime. I usually like Scal but his James Harden fan club act got old fast.

I feel this. I might check the scores here and there when the real games start, but I kind of really don't care anymore. I'm not interested in watching this.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,354

Post#1076 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 pm

return2glory wrote:

Marcus Smart says hi.

I know but if Kemba is playing less, those minutes will be allocated elsewhere. Smart is a backup but for all intents and purposes, he is the sixth starter. Wanamaker was getting minutes even when Smart and Kemba were healthy in the regular season.

I’m just saying it would be nice to have a more proven vet take any and all minutes that Wanamaker would get. Guys like Wanamaker, Allen Ray, Orien Greene...I just don’t see what Ainge sees in these guys. They are all reaches who get too many minutes when there are always better FA options
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#1077 » by SMTBSI » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:38 pm

$8,408,000 Tyus Jones
$7,250,000 DJ Augustin
$5,853,659 Ish Smith
$1,445,697 Brad Wanamaker

It's not a matter of not being interested, it's a matter of what we could afford. Of course Ainge would take a better player if he could. But you don't get those kind of guys for the minimum. And you don't typically spend 8mil on your 3rd PG.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#1078 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Not that Stevens would and should listen to RealGM posters, but tightening the playoff rotation would be the stone that would hit the "Hayward isn't getting enough usage" and "stop playing Wanamaker" birds.

Kemba (34), Smart (14)
Brown (36), Smart (12)
Tatum (38), Smart (6), Ojeleye (4)
Hayward (36), Grant (8), Ojeleye (4)
Theis (28), Kanter (16), Grant (4)

...or something like that. Both Hayward and Smart can be ballhandlers (and better decision-makers) in the second unit. Whenever Kemba's off the floor or even when he's on, Gordon and/or Smart (or even Tatum) could initiate the offense. Play your best players as much as they can handle. That's what all the load management in the regular season is for.

If you want to reduce Kanter's minutes, sneak in a bit of Timelord. If you want more penetrators, insert Romeo in place of Semi.

FYI: Wanamaker only played a total of 17 minutes in 4 games last postseason and I'm guessing some of it came in garbage time.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#1079 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:57 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Not that Stevens would and should listen to RealGM posters, but tightening the playoff rotation would be the stone that would hit the "Hayward isn't getting enough usage" and "stop playing Wanamaker" birds.

Kemba (34), Smart (14)
Brown (36), Smart (12)
Tatum (38), Smart (6), Ojeleye (4)
Hayward (36), Grant (8), Ojeleye (4)
Theis (28), Kanter (16), Grant (4)

...or something like that. Both Hayward and Smart can be ballhandlers (and better decision-makers) in the second unit. Whenever Kemba's off the floor or even when he's on, Gordon and/or Smart (or even Tatum) could initiate the offense. Play your best players as much as they can handle. That's what all the load management in the regular season is for.

If you want to reduce Kanter's minutes, sneak in a bit of Timelord. If you want more penetrators, insert Romeo in place of Semi.

FYI: Wanamaker only played a total of 17 minutes in 4 games last postseason and I'm guessing some of it came in garbage time.

Wanamaker in any of the 8 seeding games I'm completely comfortable with. Kemba needs his rest. I don't want to see Brad in the playoffs at all. Maybe for a minute or 2 at the end of a quarter to give Kemba a quick blow or make sure that a guy doesn't pick up a cheap foul or something but beyond that, no.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
D3ko
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#1080 » by D3ko » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:10 pm

SMTBSI wrote:

$8,408,000 Tyus Jones
$7,250,000 DJ Augustin
$5,853,659 Ish Smith
$1,445,697 Brad Wanamaker

It's not a matter of not being interested, it's a matter of what we could afford. Of course Ainge would take a better player if he could. But you don't get those kind of guys for the minimum. And you don't typically spend 8mil on your 3rd PG.

Is Wannamaker the cheapest player getting actual minutes at the playoff teams?

Without doing any research i could say Justin Jackson, Caruso, Mclemore, Korver are some other cheap players?

Return to Boston Celtics