ImageImageImage

Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start"

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Re: Celtics General Regular Season Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1481 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:44 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wonder if he’ll make the roster next year

I'm rootin for the kid.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#1482 » by nasbahceltic » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:33 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Hoping the long-time fans/RealGM posters are reading this and have an answer...

Post-Bird but Pre-KG, which Celtics team iteration had the best chance of reaching the Finals? I know the 2002 Celtics got to the Conference Finals, but in terms of overall talent and fan expectation, which group did you think should've gone deepest in the playoffs? And how does this year's group compare to any of the post-Bird/pre-KG teams?

The 2004 team should've at least made the second round. They had Pierce at peak athleticism (although peak immaturity) and a bunch of solid vets surrounding him in Walker, Gary Payton, Raef Lafrentz, Ricky Davis as well as that promising rookie class of Tony Allen, Al Jefferson and Delonte and were facing a broken down Pacers team that was coming off the Malice at the Palace. In my opinion this team was better than the 2002 team talent wise, but they totally **** the bed in the playoffs. The fire Doc community really got going after this year.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#1483 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:55 pm

nasbahceltic wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Hoping the long-time fans/RealGM posters are reading this and have an answer...

Post-Bird but Pre-KG, which Celtics team iteration had the best chance of reaching the Finals? I know the 2002 Celtics got to the Conference Finals, but in terms of overall talent and fan expectation, which group did you think should've gone deepest in the playoffs? And how does this year's group compare to any of the post-Bird/pre-KG teams?

The 2004 team should've at least made the second round. They had Pierce at peak athleticism (although peak immaturity) and a bunch of solid vets surrounding him in Walker, Gary Payton, Raef Lafrentz, Ricky Davis as well as that promising rookie class of Tony Allen, Al Jefferson and Delonte and were facing a broken down Pacers team that was coming off the Malice at the Palace. In my opinion this team was better than the 2002 team talent wise, but they totally **** the bed in the playoffs. The fire Doc community really got going after this year.

Yes, the blowout loss in game 7 was particularly painful.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,435

Post#1484 » by Triple7 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:41 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He must. Some team will snatch him definitely.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#1485 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:48 pm

Triple7 wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep. There is -75% chance Tacko's agent accepts another 2-way deal for his client. Considering his unique size, length, his mobility for his size and just how far his skill level has come, it would take Tacko less than 5 minutes for another team to come snatch him up. So unless Boston wants to take all of the work they did with this kid and throw it in the trash, they'll sign him and clear room for him to be on the full-time roster.

bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#1486 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:53 pm

Not ready to die on this hill yet but did Javonte earn a few extra minutes this postseason with his play? I thought he was terrific last night. He was hitting his shots. And he made some terrific passes as well. Longterm, Romeo should be better but over these 3 games Green has been more effective I think.

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#1487 » by djFan71 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:21 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:Not ready to die on this hill yet but did Javonte earn a few extra minutes this postseason with his play? I thought he was terrific last night. He was hitting his shots. And he made some terrific passes as well. Longterm, Romeo should be better but over these 3 games Green has been more effective I think.

He did look good. But not meaningful postseason minutes good to me. More "at least get invited back to camp before we drop him and have a tiny chance at hanging around next year depending on other moves" kind of good.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#1488 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:47 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep. There is -75% chance Tacko's agent accepts another 2-way deal for his client. Considering his unique size, length, his mobility for his size and just how far his skill level has come, it would take Tacko less than 5 minutes for another team to come snatch him up. So unless Boston wants to take all of the work they did with this kid and throw it in the trash, they'll sign him and clear room for him to be on the full-time roster.

Idk about that. For as "far his skill level has come" he still never got any meaningful run with the NBA team. In these scrimmages he doesn't seem to be vying for any sort of regular role. And this is on a team that could use some help in the front court.

Maybe he does get an NBA deal from us or someone but I think that's far from a lock. Especially on a team like ours where the roster is so crowded.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#1489 » by Slax » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:50 pm

nasbahceltic wrote:

I remember Ricky Davis and Raef both had a solid regular season and then played like trash in the playoffs. I don't think we had nearly enough firepower to beat the Pistons that year to get to the finals though. They were a much better team than the Nets team we were competitive against in 2002.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#1490 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:22 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#1491 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Great news if true
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#1492 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:47 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Idk about that. For as "far his skill level has come" he still never got any meaningful run with the NBA team. In these scrimmages he doesn't seem to be vying for any sort of regular role. And this is on a team that could use some help in the front court.

Maybe he does get an NBA deal from us or someone but I think that's far from a lock. Especially on a team like ours where the roster is so crowded.

I know where you stand and that's fine. Hard to throw the "he never got meaningful run" argument up there during a season that got off just as it was winding down as Fall had plenty of the "45 days with the big league club" still to be used. I suspect he would've gotten run in games had the stoppage not happened. He wouldn't have been vying for any kind of role this season. That was always the deal. Hell he shouldn't even be on a playoff roster but that's how this season unfolded. His deal was ALWAYS about foundational development this year. I'm betting he gets a 3-year deal this offseason and maybe Poirier goes. Or possibly Rob which I wouldn't have expected to say before but I am souring on him by the minute.

fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,083

Post#1493 » by fallguy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:51 pm

The bench is too young for us to go deep - even if our top guys overperform.

Assuming we'll jettison some of the kids this offseason (if we don't hit 2020-21 with expanded rosters due to COVID). But we need a couple more vets in the back end of the rotation to support the starters.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#1494 » by Elrod is Back » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:53 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

I know where you stand and that's fine. Hard to throw the "he never got meaningful run" argument up there during a season that got off just as it was winding down as Fall had plenty of the "45 days with the big league club" still to be used. I suspect he would've gotten run in games had the stoppage not happened. He wouldn't have been vying for any kind of role this season. That was always the deal. Hell he shouldn't even be on a playoff roster but that's how this season unfolded. His deal was ALWAYS about foundational development this year. I'm betting he gets a 3-year deal this offseason and maybe Poirier goes. Or possibly Rob which I wouldn't have expected to say before but I am souring on him by the minute.

I would be surprised if the Cs did not sign him to a standard contract for next season, with unguaranteed or partially guaranteed years thereafter.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1495 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Man, Hayward picking ‘Education Reform’ to go on the back of his jersey was so predictable :lol:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Post#1496 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:24 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Man, Hayward picking ‘Education Reform’ to go on the back of his jersey was so predictable :lol:

Well, he's about to have 4 Kids. :lol:
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1497 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:Man, Hayward picking ‘Education Reform’ to go on the back of his jersey was so predictable :lol:

Well, he's about to have 4 Kids. :lol:

Interested to see if he kneels with the rest of the team during the anthem on Friday...
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,460

Post#1498 » by Saint Lazarus » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:34 pm

Are these jerseys going to be for sale?
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,289

Post#1499 » by watsonthedragon » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940