ImageImageImage

Celtics General Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start"

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Re: Celtics General Regular Season Thread 2019-20, "Re-Start" 

Post#1501 » by Disinformation » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:23 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:Man, Hayward picking ‘Education Reform’ to go on the back of his jersey was so predictable :lol:

Well, he's about to have 4 Kids. :lol:

Interested to see if he kneels with the rest of the team during the anthem on Friday...

Excuse my ignorance but what specifically does "Education Reform" refer to? Is this a BLM issue? Does it refer to things like institutional racial bias?
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#1502 » by Slax » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:37 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:Man, Hayward picking ‘Education Reform’ to go on the back of his jersey was so predictable :lol:

Well, he's about to have 4 Kids. :lol:

Interested to see if he kneels with the rest of the team during the anthem on Friday...

I'm going to predict yes but with a gesture that indicates some sort of patriotic affinity, like putting a hand over his heart instead of resting it on his knee or something. I think he did something similar at the all star game a few years back. "Education reform" is giving me some lingering doubts though :lol:
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#1503 » by canman1971 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:37 pm

Disinformation wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Well, he's about to have 4 Kids. :lol:

Excuse my ignorance but what specifically does "Education Reform" refer to? Is this a BLM issue? Does it refer to things like institutional racial bias?

The inequality of education across the country. And teaching at a affluent school district with unlimited resources and living in one that isn't far behind, I understand the struggles schools across the country are real, with their budget.
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1504 » by Slax » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:53 pm

Disinformation wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Well, he's about to have 4 Kids. :lol:

It's one of a list of a few dozen social justice slogans the NBA approved for players to wear. Historically "education reform" has referred to a lot of different and contradictory ideas (eg both redrawing districts to desegregate public schools and shifting funding from public schools to private schools have been referred to as education reform), so it's an almost aggressively ambiguous slogan. I could easily come up with a set of education reform proposals with racial justice components, but "education reform" isn't inherently linked to anti-racism or anything. So it's kind of mystifying to me.
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1505 » by Slax » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 pm

canman1971 wrote:
Disinformation wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

The inequality of education across the country. And teaching at a affluent school district with unlimited resources and living in one that isn't far behind, I understand the struggles schools across the country are real, with their budget.

Gordon really should have gone with the "Bring Back General Revenue Sharing To Increase Education Funding Available To Impoverished Communities" slogan to avoid any ambiguities. :wink:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,209

Post#1506 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Slax wrote:
Disinformation wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

It's one of a list of a few dozen social justice slogans the NBA approved for players to wear. Historically "education reform" has referred to a lot of different and contradictory ideas (eg both redrawing districts to desegregate public schools and shifting funding from public schools to private schools have been referred to as education reform), so it's an almost aggressively ambiguous slogan. I could easily come up with a set of education reform proposals with racial justice components, but "education reform" isn't inherently linked to anti-racism or anything. So it's kind of mystifying to me.

There's a book called "Savage Inequalities" by Jonathan Kozol, that explains it very succinctly.
He was a teacher who worked in several large cities, and also gathered data from a number of places.

Public Schools get their money from the property value in the area of the school.
So, if you live by 3 inner-city Projects, then you're screwed.

Whereas, if you live in an affluent city, then it's vastly different.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1507 » by Slax » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:07 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Slax wrote:
Disinformation wrote:

There's a book called "Savage Inequalities" by Jonathan Kozol, that explains it very succinctly.
He was a teacher who worked in several large cities, and also gathered data from a number of places.

Public Schools get their money from the property value in the area of the school.

This is a subject I'm pretty passionate about, hence my reference to general revenue sharing (which was an attempt to address inequalities between different communities by raising and distributing revenue at a federal level during the 70's and 80's) one post prior. :) I'll try to check out the book!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,209

Post#1508 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Slax wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Slax wrote:It's one of a list of a few dozen social justice slogans the NBA approved for players to wear. Historically "education reform" has referred to a lot of different and contradictory ideas (eg both redrawing districts to desegregate public schools and shifting funding from public schools to private schools have been referred to as education reform), so it's an almost aggressively ambiguous slogan. I could easily come up with a set of education reform proposals with racial justice components, but "education reform" isn't inherently linked to anti-racism or anything. So it's kind of mystifying to me.

This is a subject I'm pretty passionate about, hence my reference to general revenue sharing (which was an attempt to address inequalities between different communities by raising and distributing revenue at a federal level during the 70's and 80's) one post prior. :) I'll try to check out the book!

Yeah, I hear ya. Quality Education should be free. As should Health Care, and Daycare.
The rest can be Capitalist. But, let me not throw this thread, too much off-subject.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Setshot33
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,535

Post#1509 » by Setshot33 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Thought this was a basketball board? Y'all have to drag damn politics into everything?

It's ruining every pro sport now......
" But the best thing to do is just win"- Red Auerbach
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 9,931

Post#1510 » by fallguy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Slax wrote:
Disinformation wrote:

This is the worst policy idea I've ever heard of...
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#1511 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:12 pm

fallguy wrote:The bench is too young for us to go deep - even if our top guys overperform.

Assuming we'll jettison some of the kids this offseason (if we don't hit 2020-21 with expanded rosters due to COVID). But we need a couple more vets in the back end of the rotation to support the starters.

Well, if we do make the Finals, it would be quite a feat and would only be comparable to the 2012 Thunder making the Finals with so much youth on the roster. The only vets on that roster were D-Fish, Perk, and Nick Collison.

Combined playoff experience (minutes) of potential contenders' top 9 rotation guys:
• Lakers: 21,889 minutes
• Rockets: 13,256 minutes
• Raptors: 12,849 minutes
• Clippers: 11,838 minutes
• Bucks: 10,872 minutes
• Celtics: 5,761 minutes

Our top 3 guys in playoff minutes are Smart, Brown, and Tatum lol. If by "overperform", you mean Smart turns into Harden, Brown into Westbrook, and Tatum into KD, then I think we can go deep into the playoffs haha.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#1512 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:21 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Slax wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:There's a book called "Savage Inequalities" by Jonathan Kozol, that explains it very succinctly.

Yeah, I hear ya. Quality Education should be free. As should Health Care, and Daycare.
The rest can be Capitalist. But, let me not throw this thread, too much off-subject.

I taught in an underfunded high school in West Philly this last year so it's personal for me too. Obviously the lack of quality resources is the big thing, but the lack of trauma-informed and culturally relevant or responsive pedagogy is just as problematic in addressing the educational outcomes of racially and economically disadvantaged students. Educational reform should also include that aspect as well. Given that context, I think it's an excellent choice and Gordon is not the only player in the league who chose it.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#1513 » by RB34 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:49 am

People having a go at Hayward regarding the Education Reform thing are kidding themselves.

He’s being ridiculed for bringing attention to one of the worlds most important issues, one that directly affects Black Lives not just in the US.

Low hanging fruit, easy target jump on the white guy kind of stuff.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#1514 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:13 pm

RB34 wrote:People having a go at Hayward regarding the Education Reform thing are kidding themselves.

He’s being ridiculed for bringing attention to one of the worlds most important issues, one that directly affects Black Lives not just in the US.

Low hanging fruit, easy target jump on the white guy kind of stuff.

This back of the jersey messaging thing should've been an "all or nothing" affair. Either let people choose what they want on their back or keep their names. Or maybe do what the MLS Philadelphia Union did. But this whole thing is starting to smell like a fart in the wind. A symbolic gesture with no real teeth because the league is dictating what the players messaging should be.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#1515 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#1516 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:49 pm

STAT OF THE DAY: Boooooo. Basketball Reference search features are now behind a paywall, but I'm pretty sure Tatum is one of only a handful of guys in NBA history who scored 23+ ppg and had 2+ steals % and 2+ blocks % in a season before turning 23.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#1517 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Read on Twitter

WHY NOT US?!
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#1518 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Agreed. Starting to get worried about Kemba
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#1519 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:21 pm

Perk and Pierce are fair-weather fans, pff. GTFO with that ****. CHAMPIONSHIPS!! lol
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,317

Post#1520 » by Triple7 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:04 am

Wow JT 2/18 for 5pts? It’s a good thing the votes are in for all nba. You better get out of this slump early.

Return to Boston Celtics