Ja Morant apologizes for "F' 12" post

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Ja Morant apologizes for "F' 12" post 

Post#1 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 am

Ja Morant reposted a tweet talking about changing his jersey to "F--- 12" which is an anti-police phrase. He did so with a laughing emoji, however people rightly got upset. He posted an apology clarifying what he wanted to say which echoed things he has been saying the last few months. He's 20 and made a mistake. Hopefully he is more careful and clear moving forward when posting stuff on social media. Props to him for not letting this stumble stop him from speaking out against things he sees as wrong.

"I want to first apologize for reposting something that didn't clearly and accurately convey what I wanted to share," he wrote. "My post was intended to focus on the bad cops who get away with the murder of unarmed Black men and women, and those who continue to harass peaceful BLACK LIVES MATTER protestors.

"I know there are good cops "12" out there. I know some, and a few are family. I am thankful to the cops at Murray State who took care of me and the cops who continue to watch over me with the Grizzlies. We NEED good cops to step up and make sure other cops are not abusing their power.

"There have been too many Black lives taken by police that could have been prevented. You may see me as just a basketball player and I may lose fans for taking a stand, but I won't stay silent.

"BLACK LIVES MATTER!! Where's the justice for Breonna Taylor?? And the other countless innocent Black lives that have been taken at the hands of dirty cops with no convictions?"

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29383143/grizzlies-ja-morant-apologizes-anti-police-jersey-post-says-need-good-cops-step-up
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Re: Ja Morant apologizes for "F' 12" post 

Post#2 » by BarbaGrizz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:50 am

Can someone explain to a foreign guy what this F*** 12 means?
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#3 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:33 pm

BarbaGrizz wrote:Can someone explain to a foreign guy what this F*** 12 means?

It is slang that attacks police officers. So his post read as a "F*** the police" kind of thing.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#4 » by BarbaGrizz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:37 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

It is slang that attacks police officers. So his post read as a "F*** the police" kind of thing.

I saw someone saying something like "I prefer to be carried by 6 (funeral) than judged by 12 (court)"....is this the origin or was this person mocking me?
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 pm

BarbaGrizz wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I saw someone saying something like "I prefer to be carried by 6 (funeral) than judged by 12 (court)"....is this the origin or was this person mocking me?

I honestly have no idea. I'm really not all that familiar with it.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies