ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Re: Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#301 » by djFan71 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:05 pm

snowman wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Super exciting, but: 26, 30, Semi for 21. Denver is a good drafting team, could use a wing like Semi cheap.
We get 2 shots at a good selection of guys in the 14-21 range and shed 2 roster spots.

The roster spots we need to be shedding are:
Poirier : replaced with Tacko, end of bench big Tacko surely can be better than Poirier
Wannamaker: replace him with Waters. Much better floor leader and shooter. Perfect 3rd pg behind Kimba and Smart.
Green: any of the wings picked with the 17th (Nesmith) would be an upgrade. Houston game showed we need bench 3pt shooting bad.
Edwards. replace him with anyone that can do more than 1 thing, more than once in a while.

Sure, any of them can go as well. Wanamaker/Green you just don't pick up. Poirier you'd have to pay to unload. Carsen/Semi are probably neutral value. I figured as a contender DEN would be more likely to want Semi. Could offer the same package up the line and see how high you can get.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#302 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Semi has a team option that we can pick up for $1.8M. If we decline we can then tender him an offer as a restricted free agent, or just let him become unrestricted.

I'd be surprised if we don't pick up the option, even if it's just to trade him. He's an alright player. He can play for 10-15 minutes a night. At $1.8M his deal is for like $50K more than his minimum salary would be. Even if we decide we didn't want him I'm sure there's some team out there who would.

I have my eyes on HOU as a trade partner. He fits their style of wanting players who are "small ball" guys but can defend the front court. He seems like he'd be a good fit in the Covington-type role they use. They have a trade exception they could fit into if we just wanted to dump the salary for a future 2nd rounder. They also have Ben McLemore and Austin Rivers on similar priced deals who might fit more of a positional need for us depending on the draft. Could definitely see a deal coming together with them for Semi.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#303 » by djFan71 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:42 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Semi has a team option that we can pick up for $1.8M. If we decline we can then tender him an offer as a restricted free agent, or just let him become unrestricted.

I'd be surprised if we don't pick up the option, even if it's just to trade him. He's an alright player. He can play for 10-15 minutes a night. At $1.8M his deal is for like $50K more than his minimum salary would be. Even if we decide we didn't want him I'm sure there's some team out there who would.

I have my eyes on HOU as a trade partner. He fits their style of wanting players who are "small ball" guys but can defend the front court. He seems like he'd be a good fit in the Covington-type role they use. They have a trade exception they could fit into if we just wanted to dump the salary for a future 2nd rounder. They also have Ben McLemore and Austin Rivers on similar priced deals who might fit more of a positional need for us depending on the draft. Could definitely see a deal coming together with them for Semi.

Yeah, I think he could be attractive to a contending type team for depth. HOU into space for a 2nd is a good one.

I'm not super interested in drafting 3/4 rookies this year, they just won't get opportunities, so was just playing around with trade ups. Packaging 26 & 30 alone maybe gets you DEN pick at 21, maybe not. Maybe with Semi they throw in a future 2nd to balance it. I could see DAL at 18 as an option too. Maybe even MIL at 19. I doubt you get into the lottery with 26/30 and any of our flotsam, so focused on teens. Depending on if a non-Grizz team squeaks into 8th spot in the West, they could also be an option at 17.

But, a second shot at the cluster of tall PGs / 3&D wings in the mid first round seems better to me than 2 shots at late first round with guaranteed deals. Other teams without so many young guys may feel the opposite.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#304 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:23 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:i will say tho, that most of these frameworks for deals are already being discussed like the sean d article suggests. i just do not see the celtics making the moves some here do. all the cap gymnastics will handle themselves

Thats my best guess— basically, just see ya later Poirier, Edwards and Kanter, probably with our first attached. Clears 10M and should remove us from paying the tax.

That would have worked pre-COVID. Issue is that with the cap projected to stay flat now vs go up by $6M, those moves alone wouldn’t be enough. We’d need Hayward to opt out and re-sign for a deal that pays him about $6M less in ‘20-21 to make up the difference. Which may or may not be something he’s interested in.

That’s why I keep saying that the financial dynamics of keeping Hayward has changed. All through the deadline reports were he was “core” and we wanted to extend which made sense. And it’s be easy to just tack on extra years to his deal at a lower salary while he still gets his option year. Then get under the tax with a deal like you propose. With current projections that now has the much more complicated step of having Hayward opt out first rather than just be extended.

Still a lot to be determined with the final tax line so we’ll see how things go there. But potentially being over the tax in 20-21 vs not is a very material change and I just wonder if it changes the feasibility of keeping Hayward. So that’s why I’ve been interested in thinking what we could realistically deal him for.

Dont get me wrong— theres definitely a decent chance we deal Hayward [kinda like the Aaron Gordon/Aminu trade taking place in conjunction with the above]. Im just fairly certain we pay to dump Kanter/Poirier/Edwards and bigger moves are more unlikely by nature.

Still wouldnt rule out a Hayward/Poirier for Wiggins/GSW20 pick if it comes in the 3-5 range. Hayward gives them optionality for 2021 Free Agency— if Giannis wanted to go there, GS could then easily move Klay to sign him. If he didnt, they just hold onto Haywards rights and re-sign him. I dont want Wiggins, but maybe we could move him for someone else?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#305 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:32 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Thats my best guess— basically, just see ya later Poirier, Edwards and Kanter, probably with our first attached. Clears 10M and should remove us from paying the tax.

That would have worked pre-COVID. Issue is that with the cap projected to stay flat now vs go up by $6M, those moves alone wouldn’t be enough. We’d need Hayward to opt out and re-sign for a deal that pays him about $6M less in ‘20-21 to make up the difference. Which may or may not be something he’s interested in.

That’s why I keep saying that the financial dynamics of keeping Hayward has changed. All through the deadline reports were he was “core” and we wanted to extend which made sense. And it’s be easy to just tack on extra years to his deal at a lower salary while he still gets his option year. Then get under the tax with a deal like you propose. With current projections that now has the much more complicated step of having Hayward opt out first rather than just be extended.

Still a lot to be determined with the final tax line so we’ll see how things go there. But potentially being over the tax in 20-21 vs not is a very material change and I just wonder if it changes the feasibility of keeping Hayward. So that’s why I’ve been interested in thinking what we could realistically deal him for.

Dont get me wrong— theres definitely a decent chance we deal Hayward [kinda like the Aaron Gordon/Aminu trade taking place in conjunction with the above]. Im just fairly certain we pay to dump Kanter/Poirier/Edwards and bigger moves are more unlikely by nature.

Still wouldnt rule out a Hayward/Poirier for Wiggins/GSW20 pick if it comes in the 3-5 range. Hayward gives them optionality for 2021 Free Agency— if Giannis wanted to go there, GS could then easily move Klay to sign him. If he didnt, they just hold onto Haywards rights and re-sign him. I dont want Wiggins, but maybe we could move him for someone else?

Unless it's part of a plan to get below the tax, I don't see the point of giving up assets to dump Kanter. He's a good bench big. Poirier/Edwards are cheap enough that I wouldn't pay to dump them, just waive them and eat the dead money. Over the tax line is over the tax line. I don't see great motivation to be $15M over vs $10M over for one year. I view it as more binary.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#306 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Unless it's part of a plan to get below the tax, I don't see the point of giving up assets to dump Kanter. He's a good bench big. Poirier/Edwards are cheap enough that I wouldn't pay to dump them, just waive them and eat the dead money. Over the tax line is over the tax line. I don't see great motivation to be $15M over vs $10M over for one year. I view it as more binary.

I view Kanter as the opportunity cost of using the MLE on a more mobile big thats a better fit [of which there will be many this offseason]. I view Poirier and Edwards as just wastes of roster spots, especially if we plan on making the majority of our draft picks.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#307 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:42 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

And he's the only reliable bench big this team has unless you call Grant a big.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#308 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:47 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

And he's the only reliable bench big this team has unless you call Grant a big.

Which is why I’d dump him— guessing the tax payer MLE could be used on a better big
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#309 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I view Kanter as the opportunity cost of using the MLE on a more mobile big thats a better fit [of which there will be many this offseason]. I view Poirier and Edwards as just wastes of roster spots, especially if we plan on making the majority of our draft picks.

Excellent point on using the MLE. I think that's a good motivation to move Kanter.

How about this scenario...

The idea I like that I think is best of both worlds is to move Hayward to ORL for Gordon + Aminu as I've mentioned before. But use pick(s) to dump Aminu on a team. That way you're just taking back Gordon at $18M vs. Hayward's $34.2M. Then if you follow that up with dumping Kanter/Poirier in a deal like you suggest, you open up not just tax payers but the FULL MLE. I'm envisioning it as we end up with Gordon at PF to replace Hayward, Ibaka at center which pushes Theis to the bench to make up for Kanter being gone. And we stay under the tax in the process which frees us up to keep using MLE in future years without ever hitting tax:

Deal 1: Send Hayward to ORL for Gordon + Aminu, but Aminu is sent to CHA with #17 attached as incentive. In the process we get a trade exception for about $16M.

Deal 2: Trade Kanter + Poirier to a team with #26 attached as incentive

Deal 3: Full MLE on Ibaka

Kemba / Smart
Brown / Langford
Tatum / Semi
Gordon / Grant
Ibaka / Theis

Then on the "3rd unit" you have Edwards, Tacko, Tremont, #30 pick, Javonte Green.

We wouldn't use the $16M trade exception next year so we can stay below the tax. But it'd be an asset to use the next year when we don't have to worry about going over.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#310 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Why would we gift Semi to the Rockets? He's one of our best defenders against Giannis. As for Kanter, he's a big body to bang with Embiid. Both of these players are on the roster for a reason. If you have a way to replace them with better players in the same roles, I'm all ears.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#311 » by canman1971 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:41 pm

Pretty sure there will be no trades during "the Bubble."
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#312 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:47 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Excellent point on using the MLE. I think that's a good motivation to move Kanter.

How about this scenario...

The idea I like that I think is best of both worlds is to move Hayward to ORL for Gordon + Aminu as I've mentioned before. But use pick(s) to dump Aminu on a team. That way you're just taking back Gordon at $18M vs. Hayward's $34.2M. Then if you follow that up with dumping Kanter/Poirier in a deal like you suggest, you open up not just tax payers but the FULL MLE. I'm envisioning it as we end up with Gordon at PF to replace Hayward, Ibaka at center which pushes Theis to the bench to make up for Kanter being gone. And we stay under the tax in the process which frees us up to keep using MLE in future years without ever hitting tax:

Deal 1: Send Hayward to ORL for Gordon + Aminu, but Aminu is sent to CHA with #17 attached as incentive. In the process we get a trade exception for about $16M.

Deal 2: Trade Kanter + Poirier to a team with #26 attached as incentive

Deal 3: Full MLE on Ibaka

Kemba / Smart
Brown / Langford
Tatum / Semi
Gordon / Grant
Ibaka / Theis

Then on the "3rd unit" you have Edwards, Tacko, Tremont, #30 pick, Javonte Green.

We wouldn't use the $16M trade exception next year so we can stay below the tax. But it'd be an asset to use the next year when we don't have to worry about going over.

I mean Hayward, 17, 26 for Ibaka/trade exception/salary relief doesn't feel like a move a team who thinks they are in it makes.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,360

Post#313 » by patman66 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:00 am

BKN out -Prince, Allen, Kurucs, ,
in Hayward, Poirer

Knicks in Semi, Edwards, Poirer, 30
Knicks out Bullock, 38

Clippers in, 38, 46, Kanter
Clippers out Jymcychal Green

BKN gets a third star in Hayward, Dump Prince and use that money on Harris
Temple and Semi are Thibs type of players
With Harrel, Morris and patrick Peterson at PF, clips trade the expiring Green, Zubac will get more than Kanter's 5 mill In FA and having to sign Morris, and Harrel, I think Zubac is the one to go. They don't have a first this year.
Bston downgrades from hayward to Kurocs/bullock, but gets a modern big and a useful PF and gets under the luxury cap.
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 360

Post#314 » by RodyTur10 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:48 am

hugepatsfan wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:i will say tho, that most of these frameworks for deals are already being discussed like the sean d article suggests. i just do not see the celtics making the moves some here do. all the cap gymnastics will handle themselves

Very good post. People have to realize that salary issues are a big thing (not only for the Celtics) with the cap not going up (this year and probably not (as fast) in future years as well).
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:43 am

Say MEM gets knocked out and we get 14. Couple trade up & get a vet ideas:

With CHI: 14, 26, 30, Kanter for #7 & Thad Young
With CHA: 14, 26, 30, Kanter for #8 & Cody Zeller

Finalized after picks are signed & people opt in depending on deal. We'd be a tax payer for sure on these.

There aren't that many vets out there to trade for, but either of those 2 would help up front more consistently than Kanter, imo. And you consolidate the picks. You're relying on the other teams going for more bites at the apple in a pretty flat draft. You could include Timelord if you think it's too heavily slanted our way. Or sneak Poirier in if you think the reverse. With 17, it's probably a little harder since it's not a lotto pick, but maybe possible.

Roster:
Kemba, Jaylen, Tatum, Hayward, Theis
Smart, Romeo, #7-8, GWill, (Thad / Zeller)
Timelord?

Then: Edwards, Poirier, Semi, Wanamaker, exception(s), Tacko, Waters grab bag.

I might keep Semi/Wana to have more vets unless I can sign a better one(s) for the vet min or taxpayer exception.
Not that worried about Waters/Tacko. If you love them, adjust the deck chairs at the end as need be.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,360

Post#316 » by patman66 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 am

djFan71 wrote:Say MEM gets knocked out and we get 14. Couple trade up & get a vet ideas:

Finalized after picks are signed & people opt in depending on deal. We'd be a tax payer for sure on these.

There aren't that many vets out there to trade for, but either of those 2 would help up front more consistently than Kanter, imo. And you consolidate the picks. You're relying on the other teams going for more bites at the apple in a pretty flat draft. You could include Timelord if you think it's too heavily slanted our way. Or sneak Poirier in if you think the reverse. With 17, it's probably a little harder since it's not a lotto pick, but maybe possible.

Roster:
Timelord?

I might keep Semi/Wana to have more vets unless I can sign a better one(s) for the vet min or taxpayer exception.
Not that worried about Waters/Tacko. If you love them, adjust the deck chairs at the end as need be.

Thad young is not worth the 20mill he is owed over the next two years. A sign an trade for Justin Holiday would be a much better use for 20 mill bucks. but I don't see why Indy would have any interest in Kanter at all with Turner, Sabonis and Badzke.

(based on hayward playing back at home for 3 years 85 at 25-28-31 )Now what would make more sense IMO, would be a Hayward, Kanter, Semi & Poirer, for Turner, Holiday s&t, and Young. We eat 20 mill of Young, they eat 8 mil of fluff, The S&T does not hurt them at all, and turner while excellent does not seem to pair well with Sabonis, while they are pleased with badzke.

The celts get a modern 5, and a wing that can give them 25min. This makes more sense if they have to move on from Dipo. I will probably be willing to part with the 30 if they swap out Dougie McB for Young.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:18 am

patman66 wrote:
Spoiler:
djFan71 wrote:Say MEM gets knocked out and we get 14. Couple trade up & get a vet ideas:

Roster:
Timelord?

Thad young is not worth the 20mill he is owed over the next two years. A sign an trade for Justin Holiday would be a much better use for 20 mill bucks. but I don't see why Indy would have any interest in Kanter at all with Turner, Sabonis and Badzke.

(based on hayward playing back at home for 3 years 85 at 25-28-31 )Now what would make more sense IMO, would be a Hayward, Kanter, Semi & Poirer, for Turner, Holiday s&t, and Young. We eat 20 mill of Young, they eat 8 mil of fluff, The S&T does not hurt them at all, and turner while excellent does not seem to pair well with Sabonis, while they are pleased with badzke.

The celts get a modern 5, and a wing that can give them 25min. This makes more sense if they have to move on from Dipo. I will probably be willing to part with the 30 if they swap out Dougie McB for Young.

That's kind of the point with Thad. He's overpaid. That and 3 picks gives CHI some incentive to give up #7. We consolidate, getter a higher upside pick, and still a moderate improvement over Kanter.

I'm all for the Turner/IND deals, but they've been discussed quite a bit going back to last summer, so I was just trying something different.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#318 » by Resistance » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:29 am

patman66 wrote:

Roster:
Timelord?

There are no players named Turner or Holiday on the Chicago roster.

There are no players on the Indiana roster named Young.

EBR
Chicago

EBR
Indiana

So far, it seems that the trade is something like this.

Chicago
In:
Out: Young

Indiana
In: Hayward, Semi, Poirier
Out: Turner, Holiday (Sign & Trade)

Boston
In: Turner, Holiday (Sign & Trade), Young
Out: Hayward, Semi, Poirier

1. Why is Chicago able to dump Young's contract without including compensation?

2. Why is Boston eating Young's contract without getting compensation?

3. Even if Chicago does include some compensation to dump Young, would Boston possibly have an issue with the hard cap since Holiday is a Sign & Trade? I took a glance at the team salary with Holiday at $9 million and Boston had a team salary over $140 million before the cap holds (salaries) for any 2020 first round picks were included.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,506

Post#319 » by snowman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:32 am

I think our roster can be broken down into 2 sections. Keep in mind that Danny and Brad value ball handlers and wings more than they do bigs, their drafting and FA signings have proven that.

I think all of us on team Green can agree that the following players are a major part of the future here, and Danny would only move for a huge upgrade.
Core:
Kimba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Smart, Theis, G. Williams, Langford, R. Williams.
(Hayward is in this group, but may need to be moved as a last resort for financial reasons. I don't think he will be moved this off season, so I'll not include him in my ideas for this post.

Then there are those that there are still some questions about, if they will be with the team going forward or be used to upgrade the core:
Support:
Wannamaker, Edwards, Waters, Green, Semi, Kanter, Poirier, Fall.

Is there anyway, using only these 8 players and our 26th and 30th picks in the draft (I'm keeping the 17th for a wing bench shooter, and the 46th for a 2-way player) to upgrade a player that could be considered a core player, without killing our cap?
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,506

Post#320 » by snowman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 pm

I would like to see us trade with Detroit:
Derrick Rose
for
Poirier, Semi, Edwards, Green, the 26th pick, and 3 mil cash.(to buy out who they don't want to keep)

Poirier is worthless on the court. He has shown that all year, and we were reminded of that during the practice games.
The current version of Semi is the best it is going to get. We can do better
Green is trade fodder
Edwards is the only piece I have hope for, but the only way he helps us is in volume shooting.

If we are going to use a volume shooter off the bench, might as well get one that can actually score in bunches like Rose.
Fall will take Poirier's minutes and be better
Waters will take Edwards minutes and be better
Rose will take Wannamakers minutes and be better
the 17th pick along with G. Will will take Semi's minutes and be better.
worst case, Rose is one a one year deal.

Return to Boston Celtics