ESPN Report Details Human Rights Concerns At NBA Academies In China

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

ESPN Report Details Human Rights Concerns At NBA Academies In China 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:56 pm

The NBA received complains from its own employees over human rights concerns inside an NBA youth-development program in China.

American coaches at three NBA training academies in China told league officials their Chinese partners were physically abusing young players and failing to provide schooling, according to multiple sources.

American coaches were frequently harassed and surveilled in Xinjiang, according to sources.

Via Steve Fainaru, Mark Fainaru-Wada/ESPN

popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Re: ESPN Report Details Human Rights Concerns At NBA Academies In China 

Post#2 » by popfan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 am

Meanwhile news outlets in China and Europe report human rights violations in the US. Have we forgotten that the family of George Floyd petitioned the UN to investigate human rights violations against African Americans by Nordic Americans? Of course we have. That's because Trump forced the UN to reject the appeal.

There is no greater violator of human rights than Nordica. Let's stop pretending that the US and the NBA are the cities on the hill.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,581

Post#3 » by Slacktard » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:03 am

"My job, our job is not to take a position on every single human rights violation, and I'm not an expert in every human rights situation or violation," Tatum said. "I'll tell you what the NBA stands for: The values of the NBA are about respect, are about inclusion, are about diversity. That is what we stand for."

Yea... but you're not being asked about human right violations by some some random foreign country. You are being asked about human right violations in god damn NBA SPONSORED TRAINING ACADEMIES WITH YOUNG KIDS/TEENS.

So yea. you *DO* need to take a **** position on that you cowardly piece of crap.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 am

All you need to take from this article is “NBA China is a $5 billion dollar enterprise.” I guess to Stern & Co. that’s worth some abuse.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#5 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:45 am

It doesn't take an expert to call out human rights violation.. What a piece of ****...
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#6 » by BigHustle » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:03 pm

LBJ: your employer is committing human rights violations? Where are u on this?
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#7 » by alphatron10 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:56 pm

popfan wrote:Meanwhile news outlets in China and Europe report human rights violations in the US. Have we forgotten that the family of George Floyd petitioned the UN to investigate human rights violations against African Americans by Nordic Americans? Of course we have. That's because Trump forced the UN to reject the appeal.

There is no greater violator of human rights than Nordica. Let's stop pretending that the US and the NBA are the cities on the hill.

Ah yes the blame white people trope. You do realize that more Africans are still enslaved by other Africans right? Also what authority does China, a communist country, have to talk about human rights?
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#8 » by Batsy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:02 pm

[/quote]Ah yes the blame white people trope. You do realize that more Africans are still enslaved by other Africans right? Also what authority does China, a communist country, have to talk about human rights?[/quote]
I love random facts, I'll need to see some proof of those claims. People like you are always thrying to combat the truth with random **** all the time. Here's a fact for you, EVERY major country has and continues to commit atrocities against the less fortunate and oppress minorities. They get away with it because those with the "well, thet country does it too" attitude just turn a bline eye to it. FOH
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#9 » by mccluskey » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Batsy wrote:
Ah yes the blame white people trope. You do realize that more Africans are still enslaved by other Africans right? Also what authority does China, a communist country, have to talk about human rights?

I love random facts, I'll need to see some proof of those claims. People like you are always thrying to combat the truth with random **** all the time. Here's a fact for you, EVERY major country has and continues to commit atrocities against the less fortunate and oppress minorities. They get away with it because those with the "well, thet country does it too" attitude just turn a bline eye to it.FOH

look man, I'll be the first one to agree with you that this country isn't perfect and there's still plenty of work to be done in reforming our police and criminal justice systems to eliminate racial bias and stop killing citizens. And we gotta stop them putting poor people in jail over stupid stuff like possession of small amounts of weed or bullcrap traffic stops where an officer claims to smell something in your car. The cops in this country are way too militarized and have far too much power over the individual citizen in any interaction for my tastes.

however, as far from perfect as it is, this country is still one of the best in the world for a human of any color to live in, and nothing in America that we might call a human rights violation comes anything close to the kind of stuff that happens to people under a real authoritarian dictatorship like China. Stuff like people who speak out against the government there - and not the kind of wild in the streets, tearing down statues, heavy ass protests like happen here, but just making comments on your social media for instance or talking out of pocket to people at your job - getting kidnapped, beaten, murdered and their families having no idea what ever happened to them. Minorities getting thrown in labor camps and having their organs harvested while they're still living (because the fresher the organ, the better the chance it works out for the recipient) and sold on the black market. Sick people with COVID-19 getting straight up barricaded inside their houses and denied medical care. The government controlling everything on the internet, TV, magazines, books and censoring everything a person reads or knows about the world.

people in America like to act like this is the worst place on the planet, but we all need to get a grip and understand that there's real evil stuff out there that blows away anything happening here - this country at least allows citizens to show their displeasure, organize and protest and work for change, and there are plenty of people (white, black, brown, whatever) actively working and trying to make things better. You go over to Shandong or Shanxi and try walking down the street with a sign saying something against the government, see how that works out for you.

the NBA being in bed with these dudes - while acting like they're all about human freedom and equality - is disgusting, and I don't have any respect for any of these NBA coaches, employees or players that call themselves activists or voices for change trying to act like America is the worst place on earth and completely ignoring the actual racist totalitarian dictatorship that's busy stuffing money in their pocket with one hand while the other hand is torturing and killing innocent human beings for absolutely no reason at all on a scale that makes anything in the USA look like child's play. Far as I'm concerned, trotting out that moral equivalency BS and trying to compare the USA and China in terms of human rights issues is the real "turning a bline(sic) eye" to it and only hypocrites play that game.
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#10 » by Batsy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 pm

mccluskey wrote:
Batsy wrote:

I love random facts, I'll need to see some proof of those claims. People like you are always thrying to combat the truth with random **** all the time. Here's a fact for you, EVERY major country has and continues to commit atrocities against the less fortunate and oppress minorities. They get away with it because those with the "well, thet country does it too" attitude just turn a bline eye to it.FOH

look man, I'll be the first one to agree with you that this country isn't perfect and there's still plenty of work to be done in reforming our police and criminal justice systems to eliminate racial bias and stop killing citizens. And we gotta stop them putting poor people in jail over stupid stuff like possession of small amounts of weed or bullcrap traffic stops where an officer claims to smell something in your car. The cops in this country are way too militarized and have far too much power over the individual citizen in any interaction for my tastes.

however, as far from perfect as it is, this country is still one of the best in the world for a human of any color to live in, and nothing in America that we might call a human rights violation comes anything close to the kind of stuff that happens to people under a real authoritarian dictatorship like China. Stuff like people who speak out against the government there - and not the kind of wild in the streets, tearing down statues, heavy ass protests like happen here, but just making comments on your social media for instance or talking out of pocket to people at your job - getting kidnapped, beaten, murdered and their families having no idea what ever happened to them. Minorities getting thrown in labor camps and having their organs harvested while they're still living (because the fresher the organ, the better the chance it works out for the recipient) and sold on the black market. Sick people with COVID-19 getting straight up barricaded inside their houses and denied medical care. The government controlling everything on the internet, TV, magazines, books and censoring everything a person reads or knows about the world.

people in America like to act like this is the worst place on the planet, but we all need to get a grip and understand that there's real evil stuff out there that blows away anything happening here - this country at least allows citizens to show their displeasure, organize and protest and work for change, and there are plenty of people (white, black, brown, whatever) actively working and trying to make things better. You go over to Shandong or Shanxi and try walking down the street with a sign saying something against the government, see how that works out for you.

the NBA being in bed with these dudes - while acting like they're all about human freedom and equality - is disgusting, and I don't have any respect for any of these NBA coaches, employees or players that call themselves activists or voices for change trying to act like America is the worst place on earth and completely ignoring the actual racist totalitarian dictatorship that's busy stuffing money in their pocket with one hand while the other hand is torturing and killing innocent human beings for absolutely no reason at all on a scale that makes anything in the USA look like child's play. Far as I'm concerned, trotting out that moral equivalency BS and trying to compare the USA and China in terms of human rights issues is the real "turning a bline(sic) eye" to it and only hypocrites play that game.

I read every word you typed and I get what you are saying, but I didn't attack America per se. I'm letting it be known that no matter what "freedoms" or "liberties" the powers that be gives us as US citizens it doesn't matter to the big picture. All of this protesting and rioting (all be it, it's not something that should be attached to fighting for the cause.) none of it is going to make a difference. Idk if it's because of the lack of leadership, lack of a proper longtime plan, or just lack of continuity in the community. I applaud any and everyone that's out there fighting for the system for "true" equal rights, more opportunities for minorities, more freedoms, trying to get rid of racism and bias at the core of the country, but what we are fighting against is a system that was built for "them" and by "them". "They" are not going to give it up without a fight.

Return to Wiretap Discussion