Post#1 » by Draft2020 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Re: "Timberwolves are currently the strongest team on Campazzo" 

Post#2 » by jpatrick » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 pm

Hmmm...I know nothing about his game. But, not sure a 5’10” PG with a 6m Euro buyout is the best use of our space. Is he that much of an improvement over J-Mac?

I’m certainly okay with bringing in a PG and moving Russell to the 2 for some minutes, but I thought it’d be more of a difference maker, maybe Ball, Hayes, even Halliburton. All of whom have size.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#3 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:04 pm

Campazzo is 29 years old and listed at 195 pounds and 5-11. He averaged 9.9 points and 7.1 rebounds in the Euroleague games this season. In the ACB league, he averaged 10.0 points and 5.0 assists.

Campazzo went undrafted in the 2013 NBA Draft but is highly-decorated overseas. He is a 2-time Euroleague champion, EuroCup Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and a 3-time Spanish League champion.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/facundo-campazzos-agent-clears-up-rumors-of-nba-interest-in-client
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#5 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Klomp wrote:Campazzo is 29 years old and listed at 195 pounds and 5-11. He averaged 9.9 points and 7.1 rebounds in the Euroleague games this season. In the ACB league, he averaged 10.0 points and 5.0 assists.

Campazzo went undrafted in the 2013 NBA Draft but is highly-decorated overseas. He is a 2-time Euroleague champion, EuroCup Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and a 3-time Spanish League champion.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/facundo-campazzos-agent-clears-up-rumors-of-nba-interest-in-client

Why would such a player even want to play in the NBA if he's been banking just fine for years elsewhere.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Jedzz wrote:Why would such a player even want to play in the NBA if he's been banking just fine for years elsewhere.

Best league in the world

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#7 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Why would such a player even want to play in the NBA if he's been banking just fine for years elsewhere.

Best league in the world

Well, so it is claimed. If the talent is a lot higher in the NBA and he's averaging 10 pts and 5-7 assists in lessor leagues, then wouldn't we assume he's going to produce a little lower at this level? Shouldn't he assume that? Even if he matched those numbers here, would that be enough to get paid in this league? Would he do it and play a bench role in the NBA just to tell his grandkids he once was an NBA player? I don't know if I would if I was him if he's making a million a year or more elsewhere already and winning championships. Maybe if he was still 25 or something. He's been playing pro since 2008, then the 2013 draft occured. It's 2020 now. That's 12 years of proball already. He's signed through 2024 with Real Madrid, is that all correct?

Maybe he wants get on par with or get paid like Rubio something. Same age? I've got nothing against him he probably has tons experience to lead by point, but JMac is probably more of a scorer and maybe better at this point and doesn't need a buyout.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Best league in the world

Well, so it is claimed. If the talent is a lot higher in the NBA and he's averaging 10 pts and 5-7 assists in lessor leagues, then wouldn't we assume he's going to produce a little lower at this level? Shouldn't he assume that? Even if he matched those numbers here, would that be enough to get paid in this league? Would he do it and play a bench role in the NBA just to tell his grandkids he once was an NBA player? I don't know if I would if I was him if he's making a million a year or more elsewhere already and winning championships. Maybe if he was still 25 or something. He's been playing pro since 2008, then the 2013 draft occured. It's 2020 now. That's 12 years of proball already. He's signed through 2024 with Real Madrid, is that all correct?

Maybe he wants get on par with or get paid like Rubio something. Same age? I've got nothing against it, but JMac is probably better at this point and doesn't need a buyout.

Keep in mind that international ball plays 40-minute games. And they don't usually play their starters major minutes like here. Rubio averaged 6/3 before coming over.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#9 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Klomp wrote:Keep in mind that international ball plays 40-minute games. And they don't usually play their starters major minutes like here. Rubio averaged 6/3 before coming over.

I didn't really think about how much they typically play or don't. Maybe his 12 years of pro euroball makes him prime ready or maybe that makes him already on the downhill run. Don't know enough I guess. Would like to hear from someone that has watched him play for a while whether he is like Rubio now or more? Because I think he would need to be. Rubio was still young when he came over. They are the same age now.

My only questions would be whether he could score 10-20 pts from the PG role, 5-10 assists, hit 2 of 4 threes if they needed it, drive the basket, create for others and hang in this league. I think I already know JMac can. If they have any interest in this guy for depth fine, buy him out and let's find out. Not sure how they are doing that without an owner locked in though. It's starting to make sense why we aren't hearing about much movement going on anymore.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:07 pm

Pablo Prigioni was putting up similar numbers in Europe as Campazzo is now when he came over to the NBA at age 35. Never a star or even a regular starter, but solid veteran backup for 5 years.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#12 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:58 pm

Klomp wrote:Pablo Prigioni was putting up similar numbers in Europe as Campazzo is now when he came over to the NBA at age 35. Never a star or even a regular starter, but solid veteran backup for 5 years.
There's a bit of history.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#13 » by urinesane » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:47 pm

So he's JJ Barea with an extra inch height and 10lbs?

Meh.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Post#14 » by Domejandro » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:08 am

urinesane wrote:So he's JJ Barea with an extra inch height and 10lbs?

Meh.

Campazzo was the EuroCup Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and is regarded as a very strong facilitator. Very different players, for sure.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Post#15 » by Domejandro » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:13 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Best league in the world

Maybe he wants get on par with or get paid like Rubio something. Same age? I've got nothing against him he probably has tons experience to lead by point, but JMac is probably more of a scorer and maybe better at this point and doesn't need a buyout.

An important thing to keep in mind is that basketball in Europe is pretty different than in the NBA, so statistics naturally do not directly translate.

I will say, as somebody who used to watch a lot of European basketball, he will almost certainly translate as a high-level back-up Point-Guard. If I was him, I would lean towards Dallas, given the familiarity with Luka and the bigger opportunities, but I am glad that Minnesota is making an aggressive effort to get him. Even if we lose out to Dallas on this player, it is a positive sign to me that Rosas is doing the right thing.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#16 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:11 am

Domejandro wrote:An important thing to keep in mind is that basketball in Europe is pretty different than in the NBA, so statistics naturally do not directly translate.

I will say, as somebody who used to watch a lot of European basketball, he will almost certainly translate as a high-level back-up Point-Guard. If I was him, I would lean towards Dallas, given the familiarity with Luka and the bigger opportunities, but I am glad that Minnesota is making an aggressive effort to get him. Even if we lose out to Dallas on this player, it is a positive sign to me that Rosas is doing the right thing.

Good to hear from someone that says they watched him play more than highlight clips. Klomp mentioned the difference in stats and time playing. So more of that is helpful to know. A question I still have is why is he now considered available to NBA teams? Has anyone heard if this was a decision he has made to now want to play NBA?

Found an answer to my question so edited:
Campazzo is expected to leave Real Madrid this summer for the NBA. The Argentinian player has to be released first from the Spanish powerhouse so that he can go to the NBA. According to the Spanish journalist Carlos Sanchez Blas, the player will of course have to pay an amount of money to Real so that he can be released. This amount will be around 6 million euros, according to Sanchez, with the team signing Campazzo paying 750k as the law says.

Having this in mind, Campazzo should find a great contract in the NBA so that he can pay the rest of his NBA buyout. According to Sanchez, the Minnesota Timberwolves have expressed their interest in signing the Argentinian guard, with Dallas Mavericks also eyeing his case.

So they need to pay him over 6, closer to what then - 10 million? The MLE?

In 2019 he was quoted saying he had two years left on deal with Real Madrid and then he could play in NBA, but that there was an NBA out clause. But now he's signed to 2024 so that blustering must have garnered him an extension. Now he wants to make the leap anyway. What a game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:17 am

Domejandro wrote:I will say, as somebody who used to watch a lot of European basketball, he will almost certainly translate as a high-level back-up Point-Guard. If I was him, I would lean towards Dallas, given the familiarity with Luka and the bigger opportunities, but I am glad that Minnesota is making an aggressive effort to get him. Even if we lose out to Dallas on this player, it is a positive sign to me that Rosas is doing the right thing.

The fact that Dallas and San Antonio are the two teams we're reportedly competing with tells me he's a good player and it's good to be in the running. Both have a history of unearthing gems from Europe.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#18 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 am

Klomp wrote:

Good vision, good handles, good Defense and good shot. A lot to like.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#19 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 am

Let's not hide from it: How do you pay him? The MLE? It needs to include 6 million that will be nothing more then a buyout fee. If the team can only buyout pay directly 750k, then it has to be in his deal plus what he wants to earn here.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#20 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:31 am

Jedzz wrote:Let's not hide from it: How do you pay him? The MLE? It needs to include 6 million that will be nothing more then a buyout fee. If the team can only buyout pay directly 750k, then it has to be in his deal plus what he wants to earn here.

Wouldn't it be a multi year deal? He can't expect the NBA team to pay his buyout. Let's say it's a 4 year deal at 6 million per and the wolves pay the limit if that's 750 K. Campazzo can pay the balance out of his 24 million.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves