Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Co-founder, Bill Montgomery, of Turning Point USA died from Covid. 

Post#461 » by The Box Office » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:47 am

That's too bad. Not wearing masks and straight up rejecting Science just to own the Libs. Yeah, they sure showed us.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/29/turning-point-usa-founder-dies-coronavirus-complications-387077

Read on Twitter

There is nothing to celebrate. However, my reaction summed up:
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 350

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#462 » by moorhosj » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Red8911 wrote:I’m no Dr but there’s so much evidence that it has saved lives and should be given to more people if needed by their doctors.

As an admitted non-Dr, maybe don't suggest which drugs people should be prescribed? Doubly so when you can't provide any clinical trial that proves it's efficacy for this purpose.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Herman Cain died from Covid. 

Post#463 » by The Box Office » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm

This sucks. RIP. Most likely, Cain got it from Trump's rally.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#464 » by Dresden » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:35 pm

moorhosj wrote:
Red8911 wrote:I’m no Dr but there’s so much evidence that it has saved lives and should be given to more people if needed by their doctors.

As an admitted non-Dr, maybe don't suggest which drugs people should be prescribed? Doubly so when you can't provide any clinical trial that proves it's efficacy for this purpose.

It is perplexing that there are a fair number of personal anecdotes like the ones Red is describing of it helping people, while at the same time studies are showing no overall benefit, and some serious risks.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,528

Post#465 » by DuckIII » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Dresden wrote:
moorhosj wrote:

It is perplexing that there are a fair number of personal anecdotes like the ones Red is describing of it helping people, while at the same time studies are showing no overall benefit, and some serious risks.

It’s not perplexing. It’s either made up lies, something unsubstantiated regurgitated from social media, or coincidental because the vast majority of people with COVID 19 recover, including people who needlessly include ineffective drugs in their treatment program.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#466 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Herman Cain dies of Covid.

Georgia schools set to reopen Friday.

Cognitive dissonance at its finest.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#467 » by 2018C3 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Dresden wrote:And by the way, these new pop ad's really suck. You click on them once, and in a few seconds they come right back.

Yeah the ads are ridiculous. It breaks the "jump to last unread post" function

What Ads, and what browser are you using?
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#468 » by PaKii94 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 am

2018C3 wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Dresden wrote:And by the way, these new pop ad's really suck. You click on them once, and in a few seconds they come right back.

Chrome on Android. It doesn't have ad blocker. It's a full page ad when I click a link for a thread
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#469 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:29 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
2018C3 wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Chrome on Android. It doesn't have ad blocker. It's a full page ad when I click a link for a thread

I have chrome, I rarely see adds. Install adblock pro or adblock plus. Free, Installs in seconds, no more bs.

Downside, many "news" websites dont like that function, but its easily disabled for specific sites in seconds if you wish, or I just still have internet explorer around for viewing sites that wont let you view content without ads.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#470 » by PaKii94 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
2018C3 wrote:

I have chrome, I rarely see adds. Install adblock pro or adblock plus. Free, Installs in seconds, no more bs.

Downside, many "news" websites dont like that function, but its easily disabled for specific sites in seconds if you wish, or I just still have internet explorer around for viewing sites that wont let you view content without ads.

Yeah I have ad blocker on desktop chrome on windows. You can't install it on the phone though and that's how I usually access these forums
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 339

Post#471 » by jmajew » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:45 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:Herman Cain dies of Covid.

I know a lot of parents that are upset schools are going to be closed in my area. The feeling is best summed up as this. They feel their kids are going to be severely hurt by the lack of going to school. They feel they have to make a decision of one of them quitting their job in order to help home school their kids or both going to work and letting their kids fall behind. I'm blessed my wife was a teacher an only recently stopped teaching after our third child. She taught all the grades my kids are in, but if she didn't have that I don't know how I would feel.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#472 » by Dresden » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:18 am

jmajew wrote:

I know a lot of parents that are upset schools are going to be closed in my area. The feeling is best summed up as this. They feel their kids are going to be severely hurt by the lack of going to school. They feel they have to make a decision of one of them quitting their job in order to help home school their kids or both going to work and letting their kids fall behind. I'm blessed my wife was a teacher an only recently stopped teaching after our third child. She taught all the grades my kids are in, but if she didn't have that I don't know how I would feel.

I understand not wanting your kids to fall behind, but when we were in lockdown, people were clamoring to open things up again, too. And many places did that too soon, and we're seeing the results- we're worse off now than in March in some respects.

Parents should not have to chasing between going to work or taking care of their kids though. If a parent has to stay home to school the kids, or watch them, then govt's should absolutely make sure they are able to survive while doing so.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#473 » by transplant » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:10 pm

Quick question. Has any reputable epidemiologist recommended that kids go back to their classrooms?
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#474 » by DuckIII » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:02 am

transplant wrote:Quick question. Has any reputable epidemiologist recommended that kids go back to their classrooms?

Just this week the head of the CDC, Robert Redfield, said that children should return to in-class settings in the interests of public health.

I personally feel the CDC’s position has been heavily influenced by the White House, but regardless of my subjective view that is indeed its public position.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#475 » by transplant » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:41 pm

DuckIII wrote:
transplant wrote:Quick question. Has any reputable epidemiologist recommended that kids go back to their classrooms?

Just this week the head of the CDC, Robert Redfield, said that children should return to in-class settings in the interests of public health.

I personally feel the CDC’s position has been heavily influenced by the White House, but regardless of my subjective view that is indeed its public position.

Thanks, Duck.

I read Redfield’s statement and have been scratching my head ever since. It’s like he did a balance sheet with the ancillary benefits of mental health care, nutrition, reporting of child abuse, etc. outweighing the likely effect of spreading the virus and therefore re-opening the schools is in the best interests of public health.

IMO, the virus is the ball and Redfield’s mind is on the wind, temperature, humidity, Keep your eye on the ball, doc.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#476 » by DuckIII » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:02 am

transplant wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Thanks, Duck.

I read Redfield’s statement and have been scratching my head ever since. It’s like he did a balance sheet with the ancillary benefits of mental health care, nutrition, reporting of child abuse, etc. outweighing the likely effect of spreading the virus and therefore re-opening the schools is in the best interests of public health.

IMO, the virus is the ball and Redfield’s mind is on the wind, temperature, humidity, Keep your eye on the ball, doc.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I very much agree, which is in part why to me it felt more political than scientific. Sort of like a rationale rather than a medical conclusion.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Post#477 » by HomoSapien » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:53 am

jmajew wrote:

Totally get it, but everyone’s going to fall behind in life one way or the other whether it’s school, your career, getting married, or having kids. The quicker people rush to get back to normalcy the longer we are going to have to shut down/start over. Everyone just needs to hunker down and ride this out.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#478 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:01 am

HomoSapien wrote:
jmajew wrote:

Totally get it, but everyone’s going to fall behind in life one way or the other whether it’s school, your career, getting married, or having kids. The quicker people rush to get back to normalcy the longer we are going to have to shut down/start over. Everyone just needs to hunker down and ride this out.

Pretty much. It's kind of ass backwards to do anything other than wait for the vaccine
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 339

Post#479 » by jmajew » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:08 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
jmajew wrote:

I agree. I' just wondering if their is a better way to slow the spread than shutting schools. Me personally I would much prefer we close all bars, movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc all while keeping restaurants at take out only than closing schools. Entertainment does not increase productive value for long term, but education does. Weirdly enough I live in one of the few districts in the state of Illinois that is still planning on having in person classes, the start of the year is two weeks out so I hope they don't change because it will cause a lot of stress on parents to do it so last minute.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#480 » by Jimako10 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:45 pm

Georgia had an outbreak on DAY 1 of a summer camp. I just can't see how openings schools is a good idea until there's a vaccine available. We don't even know the full extent of what this disease does to your body long after you've recovered.

Return to Chicago Bulls