Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,674

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1701 » by Pointgod » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:24 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
Read on Twitter

Libs! The muggles are on to us!

Can you believe this moron is running for Congress? John Lewis’ Seay no less. I hope she gets **** wiped out so it’s not even close.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1702 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:36 pm

Pointgod wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
Read on Twitter

Libs! The muggles are on to us!

Can you believe this moron is running for Congress? John Lewis’ Seay no less. I hope she gets **** wiped out so it’s not even close.

She's a grifter. Just like the POS who pardoned her.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#1703 » by dobrojim » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

So I had one of those driveway moments a half hour ago listening to 44 deliver
the eulogy. And I know my mind shouldn't be in the gutter at such a moment
but I could help but wonder, who in their right mind would have 45 deliver
a eulogy? I mean the man can't be coherent or say nice things about anyone
other than himself. Sad.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#1704 » by dobrojim » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:53 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
And as is the custom now, we will need another Democratic president to dig us out of the mess another Republican left us with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bidens-election-will-end-national-nightmare-20/2020/07/28/f9c01df0-d0f7-11ea-9038-af089b63ac21_story.html

George Will occasionally reminds people of basic history, which is all the more
helpful in cases where it puts the lie to long held misbelief.

Such apologists insist that Democratic administrations jeopardize prosperity. So, these apologists are not merely projecting their one-dimensional selves onto their more well-rounded compatriots, they are ignoring 120 years of inconvenient data (as noted by Jeff Sommer in the New York Times): “Since 1900 the stock market has fared far better under Democratic presidents, with a 6.7 percent annualized return for the Dow Jones industrial average compared with just 3.5 percent under Republicans.”
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#1705 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1706 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yup, my number one issue with Obama was how gullible he was to think the GOP would work with him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1707 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:26 pm

So now Trump is tweating his off trying to postpone the election. He wants to open everything else up... but not the election.

I don't think anywhere near half of all Republicans would even be for that. And many already prefer absentee ballots. He's not going to win on this - this is even dumber than his decision to fight for confederate statues.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#1708 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 pm

dobrojim wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
And as is the custom now, we will need another Democratic president to dig us out of the mess another Republican left us with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bidens-election-will-end-national-nightmare-20/2020/07/28/f9c01df0-d0f7-11ea-9038-af089b63ac21_story.html

Such apologists insist that Democratic administrations jeopardize prosperity. So, these apologists are not merely projecting their one-dimensional selves onto their more well-rounded compatriots, they are ignoring 120 years of inconvenient data (as noted by Jeff Sommer in the New York Times): “Since 1900 the stock market has fared far better under Democratic presidents, with a 6.7 percent annualized return for the Dow Jones industrial average compared with just 3.5 percent under Republicans.”

Ah, well. The Democrats before the Civil Rights Bill are basically entirely different animals than after the Civil Rights Bill, so it's mixing up apples and oranges. I wonder if Republicans were even fiscally conservative until the sixties.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#1709 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
dobrojim wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

Ah, well. The Democrats before the Civil Rights Bill are basically entirely different animals than after the Civil Rights Bill, so it's mixing up apples and oranges. I wonder if Republicans were even fiscally conservative until the sixties.

You are right and some nuance. Fiscal conservatism really started back in the 30s around the same time as the New Deal.

And that has evolved into three primary groups in the fiscal conservative camp. The "balanced government spending" folks where outlays should match receipts; the supply-side economics folks and your favorite Zonk, the reduction in spending starve the government at all costs to reduce the size of government folks.

Nancy Pelosi is a bit on the first side - but don't call her a fiscal conservative - she will bristle. Call her fiscally responsible.

But I think that your answer is that it was weaponized long before the 60s.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1710 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 pm

I'M WATCHING BASKETBALL YAY
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1711 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:26 am

Javale STARTS for the LAKERS????
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1712 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:So now Trump is tweating his off trying to postpone the election. He wants to open everything else up... but not the election.

I don't think anywhere near half of all Republicans would even be for that. And many already prefer absentee ballots. He's not going to win on this - this is even dumber than his decision to fight for confederate statues.

Even Mitch McConnell is standing up to Trump on this one.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) was among many Republican senators who quickly and unequivocally rejected Trump’s idea. “Never in the history of the country, through wars, depressions and the Civil War, have we ever not had a federally scheduled election on time,” McConnell said in a television interview with WNKY of Bowling Green, Ky. “We’ll find a way to do that again this Nov. 3.”

Also, I think they realize the more Trump bashes absentee ballots, the fewer of his "people" will use them - and that will lead to fewer Republicans voting. They can't rely on just people voting at the polls in a crazy year like this. Really bad strategies by Trump.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#1713 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Ruzious wrote:So now Trump is tweating his off trying to postpone the election. He wants to open everything else up... but not the election.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) was among many Republican senators who quickly and unequivocally rejected Trump’s idea. “Never in the history of the country, through wars, depressions and the Civil War, have we ever not had a federally scheduled election on time,” McConnell said in a television interview with WNKY of Bowling Green, Ky. “We’ll find a way to do that again this Nov. 3.”

Also, I think they realize the more Trump bashes absentee ballots, the fewer of his "people" will use them - and that will lead to fewer Republicans voting. They can't rely on just people voting at the polls in a crazy year like this. Really bad strategies by Trump.

Smart strategy by his Russian puppet masters though, if all they want to do is sow confusion and foment civil war here. The thing that creeps me out the most is Trump's constant reference to hidden voters and silent majorities etc. Ever since the 'hanging chad' recounts we have switched to electronic voting machines, produced by companies owned by billionaires and demonstrably easily hacked by high school students. And ever since then, the exit polls never match the final results. I have no doubt where elections are even plausibly close, the numbers get tilted by electronic malfeasance. Not possible in the Obama elections since there was a cultural phenomenon occurring, but every other election, in places it matters, yes. It's tougher to 'hack' a paper ballot though, with a literal paper trail that can be tracked and challenged, so of course these come under fire. Still at this point I don't think Trump's Russian handlers would balk at outright hacking the election even if its not close, simply to foment rage and civil unrest and disorientation at the highest levels of government.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,674

Post#1714 » by Pointgod » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Well what’s Mitch going to say? Postponing the election is so **** crazy that it’s literally indefensible (even though of course Barr and Pompeo leave room for interpretation).
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1715 » by pancakes3 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:18 pm

re: election news

1) Trump is absolutely dumb but the msm/dnc response is dumb as well. The responses are so rote and lazy, basically just saying "orange man bad" and maybe a few legal arguments about how it's unconstitutional. They're whiffing on opportunities to change the narrative to "this is bad for YOU (the viewers)." Eustace and Edna sitting in their retirement village needs to be told that (a) as blue blooded americans, their vote matters, (b) that mail-in ballots during this EMERGENCY is a good thing, and (c) as older voters, they should not be forced to choose between voting and dying when we have mail-in ballots. Shining a light on Trump not caring about old people does more to change hearts and minds than citing the U.S. Code.

2) Trump may not be able to change the election but governors have more cover on how to conduct elections. His signal that he wants delay could very easy lead to Ron DeSantis changing Florida's election procedures. It just takes one state to delay returning votes to delay the entire election. The "it's unconstitutional" argument is surface-level thinking. The trick is to delay returning votes until past inauguration day.
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1716 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:57 pm

It's not journalists job to editorialize. Maddow is saying all these things, the problem is people don't want to hear what she has to say.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1717 » by pancakes3 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:10 pm

there's a way to do it without compromising one's journalistic integrity (not that it matters bc look at OANN).

you get Biden to come out with a statement and then report on his opinion.
Bullets -> Wizards
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1718 » by pancakes3 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 pm

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

@whoever needs to read this and have a reckoning with their respective souls
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1719 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:58 pm

pancakes3 wrote:https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

I just saw a report about that on tv. Absolutely disgusting. DISGUSTING.

Kushners's group actually came up with a useful plan of distribution - completely off the grid though. And Trump rejected it because it would help states that were controlled by Democrats. Instead, he chose to let states fend for supplies themselves - he wanted various states to fail, so the the Democratic governors and mayors (and Governor Hogan) would take the blame.

Poof - Kusher's plan - paid by our tax dollars and to be paid by the tax dollars of his kids' generation - was made to disappear.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1720 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/how-jared-kushners-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

I just saw a report about that on tv. Absolutely disgusting. DISGUSTING.

Kushners's group actually came up with a useful plan of distribution - completely off the grid though. And Trump rejected it because it would help states that were controlled by Democrats. Instead, he chose to let states fend for supplies themselves - he wanted various states to fail, so the the Democratic governors and mayors (and Governor Hogan) would take the blame.

Poof - Kusher's plan - paid by our tax dollars and to be paid by the tax dollars of his kids' generation - was made to disappear.

We need to defeat Trump somehow despite everything in November and then pass a law clarifying that whatever treason is, this is also it. Intentionally making policy decisions intended to kill your political enemies who are also US citizens - treason, punishable by death.

Return to Washington Wizards