ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers 2022 Season Payroll

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Re: Lakers 2022 Season Payroll 

Post#41 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:47 am

Suprasc1 wrote:Funny how nobody can actually become a "RealGM" and create a full roster with the scenario i posted.

I don't want to see anybody talking bad of any nba GM anymore if you can't even create a winning team with the lakers 2021 payroll

Quit trying to force this thread, just let it die the natural death that it deserves.
Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Post#42 » by Suprasc1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:12 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:Funny how nobody can actually become a "RealGM" and create a full roster with the scenario i posted.

I don't want to see anybody talking bad of any nba GM anymore if you can't even create a winning team with the lakers 2021 payroll

Quit trying to force this thread, just let it die the natural death that it deserves.

I love you guys
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#43 » by Karmaloop » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:07 am

Suprasc1 wrote:AD could easily leave this upcoming season or just sign a 1yr max deal.

So just assume that's the acutal roster and fill up the rest of the roster spots

Anthony Davis isn't leaving...
Suprasc1
Senior

Post#44 » by Suprasc1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:26 am

Karmaloop wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:AD could easily leave this upcoming season or just sign a 1yr max deal.

So just assume that's the acutal roster and fill up the rest of the roster spots

Anthony Davis isn't leaving...

That would be great and he fits great with LeBron
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,147

Post#45 » by Mr Puddles » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:09 am

Honestly the Lakers would be better off surrounding lebron and AD with a quality supporting cast rather than go all out and blow their wad on another super star.
Spoiler:
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,735

Post#46 » by KingDavid » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:08 pm

So I'm not going to lock this thread, but I'm moving it to the Laker's forum. OP, the is the General NBA Board. Next time, have a topic more engaging for the fans of the rest of the nba? I would leave the thread had you asked what everyone else's roster would look like and who they would ideally want from that year, or something to that effect. Could have made a pretty fun thread, I'd think. But the point is to have people want to engage with their own team instead of feeling shut out.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,252

Post#47 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Suprasc1 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:Anthony Davis will be making 37-40 million per year in 2022. That's 80 million for 2 players and we have no idea what the cap is going to be like. All accounts have it plumetting. Lebron will probably be negotiating another multiyear deal and will be 37 years old. His cap hold will still be there regardless of an opt-out. Next year we probably see McGee, Bradley, Rondo and KCP pick up their player options due to the question mark that is the season, which means they'd all be free agents in 2022. But the Lakers will need to sign guys next year and might not be able be competitive on just 1 year contracts.

I think with the uncertainties over the salary cap, there has never been a more pointless time to do this exercise. There are 10 other teams with even smaller projected 2022 payrolls and not all of them have to max out Davis in the meantime.

AD is a free agent in the 2021 season.
All those role players won't have a contract with the lakers for the 2021 season at all.

Only person is LeBron James on the actual payroll.
AD can leave if he wants or stay but that still will leave enough $ for 2 max star players for the lakers in 2021 including LeBron.

As I say in my post, the prevailing assumption is that AD will sign with the Lakers the offseason. Current speculation has the cap dropping to $109m. Without a shortage of capspace (plus low demand for some of those players) and uncertainty about next season, it's a good bet that players with player option in their contract for the 2021 season, will opt in. McGee, Rondo, Bradley and KCP all have player options. They also have a team option on Kuzma, and they'll still be paying Luol Deng under the stretch provision.

I get that the Lakers have a clean capsheet. But you have to ignore everything the Lakers have to do between now and then, and imagine the cap returning to a more robust number, to think the Lakers will have room for another max contract next to a 37 year old Lebron in 2022.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,441

Post#48 » by Slava » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:44 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:Anthony Davis will be making 37-40 million per year in 2022. That's 80 million for 2 players and we have no idea what the cap is going to be like. All accounts have it plumetting. Lebron will probably be negotiating another multiyear deal and will be 37 years old. His cap hold will still be there regardless of an opt-out. Next year we probably see McGee, Bradley, Rondo and KCP pick up their player options due to the question mark that is the season, which means they'd all be free agents in 2022. But the Lakers will need to sign guys next year and might not be able be competitive on just 1 year contracts.

I think with the uncertainties over the salary cap, there has never been a more pointless time to do this exercise. There are 10 other teams with even smaller projected 2022 payrolls and not all of them have to max out Davis in the meantime.

All those role players won't have a contract with the lakers for the 2021 season at all.

AD can leave if he wants or stay but that still will leave enough $ for 2 max star players for the lakers in 2021 including LeBron.

As I say in my post, the prevailing assumption is that AD will sign with the Lakers the offseason. Current speculation has the cap dropping to $109m. Without a shortage of capspace (plus low demand for some of those players) and uncertainty about next season, it's a good bet that players with player option in their contract for the 2021 season, will opt in. McGee, Rondo, Bradley and KCP all have player options. They also have a team option on Kuzma, and they'll still be paying Luol Deng under the stretch provision.

I get that the Lakers have a clean capsheet. But you have to ignore everything the Lakers have to do between now and then, and imagine the cap returning to a more robust number, to think the Lakers will have room for another max contract next to a 37 year old Lebron in 2022.

I think the Lakers, like Miami and every other big market team is keeping the cap clear for the Giannis free agency in 2022. Of course it could all change if he signs an extension prior to that but even with AD in tow, LeBron has an opt out which he could likely exercise and sign for less over more years if it meant adding another superstar for more titles.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Suprasc1
Senior

Post#49 » by Suprasc1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:18 pm

Slava wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:

I think the Lakers, like Miami and every other big market team is keeping the cap clear for the Giannis free agency in 2022. Of course it could all change if he signs an extension prior to that but even with AD in tow, LeBron has an opt out which he could likely exercise and sign for less over more years if it meant adding another superstar for more titles.

Very good post!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers