Aleksej Pokusevski

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Re: Aleksej Pokusevski 

Post#261 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:Not trying to be political, but this is like when Ron DeSantis was saying "We hardly have any coronavirus here." Just wait.

I mean yeah he's "raw". Because he's 18. Not only is he 18, but if he was literally born 6 days later, he wouldn't even be eligible for this Draft. Sometimes you have to see the writing on the wall.

It's true there is only one Giannis, but the fact is there is a Giannis. There is precedent for picking out a guy at a lower level. Poku developed kind of late, so it's not really that suprising where he is. If he is left in Europe for a year or two, you don't think he'll be at a higher level? Of course he will be.

This guy is extremely skilled and talented for a player at his size, and he is also very mobile. He has amazing potential. But........

He's probably like 4-5 years away from being able to properly handle the physicality in EuroLeague. He's a long-term project for Olympiacos, if he stays there. If he's playing regular minutes at any high level league next year, it is if he's on a tanking NBA team - a team that is trying to lose on purpose.

Poku in a year =

playing on an NBA team that is losing games on purpose

or

in the G-League

or

with Olympiacos' development team in Greek 2nd division / on the main team's practice squad. He would get thrown around like a rag doll in the EuroLeague. Of course, a player of his age, talent and potential can improve a lot in a year or two, but he's like at least 35 pounds underweight for the EuroLeague level.

Even the NBA "special diet" (let's just say it would get a player banned in Europe), is going to take a long time to fix that.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#262 » by No-Man » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:49 pm

I'd agree that he would not play with Oly's main team in EL if he stays put next year, you are right about that
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#263 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm

eminence wrote:He moves very well for a large man that's for sure, guess we'll find out. I'm looking at him next to Ellis in various videos with the main squad and he doesn't look half a foot taller.

Ellis is listed at 6-8 1/2 barefoot. Poku is listed at 7-0 barefoot. So it's like a 3 1/2 inch difference, not 6.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,712

Post#264 » by eminence » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:38 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
eminence wrote:He moves very well for a large man that's for sure, guess we'll find out. I'm looking at him next to Ellis in various videos with the main squad and he doesn't look half a foot taller.

Ellis is listed at 6-8 1/2 barefoot. Poku is listed at 7-0 barefoot. So it's like a 3 1/2 inch difference, not 6.

I was going off his 2016 PIT measurement, where Ellis measured 6-8 barefoot, and the 7-2 claimed by Aleksej.
I bought a boat.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#265 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:12 pm

eminence wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

I was going off his 2016 PIT measurement, where Ellis measured 6-8 barefoot, and the 7-2 claimed by Aleksej.

Olympiacos is a very serious club. They have quite strict rules for measuring players. So what they are listing should be trusted. They do it just like the NBA combine does it.

I saw Ellis at 2.04 m barefoot and Poku at 2.13 m barefoot.

In NBA terms that is 6-8 1/2 barefoot and 7-0 barefoot. So that's 3 1/2 inches. So on game video it should be 3 1/2 inches. I have no idea if Poku actually grew, or if he is just joking. Either way, last season he was 7-0 barefoot. And again, these are barefoot listings. But bottom line, he would be 3 1/2 inches taller than Ellis last season, even if he grew since then.

Also, Poku never said he was 7-2 barefoot. US agents are still using the in shoes height for players. So he might have just meant 7-2 in shoes. Considering he was already 7-0 barefoot last season, then that really means nothing. You can be 7-0 barefoot and some of the athletic shoes add 1 3/4 or even 2 inches, which would make him 7-2 "in shoes".
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#266 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:54 pm

He's probably 7'1.5" in shoes right now.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#267 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#268 » by King Ken » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm

Poku fans really want to make him the next Giannis but what if he's just a taller Van Horn
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#269 » by Goldbum » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 pm

A taller (healthy) Van Horn should be a top 3 pick in this draft if not #1 overall.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#270 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 pm

King Ken wrote:Poku fans really want to make him the next Giannis but what if he's just a taller Van Horn

Uh then he should be a #1 pick in this draft.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#271 » by King Ken » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:Poku fans really want to make him the next Giannis but what if he's just a taller Van Horn

You really think a taller Van Horn potentially is a top overall pick?
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#272 » by Catchall » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 pm

Van Horn was a #2 pick who went behind Tim Duncan. Also, I think Pokusevski is a more natural ball handler and passer than Van Horn. Being a bit taller gives him more potential as a rim protector as well.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#273 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 pm

King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

In this draft? In this version of the NBA? Of course he is.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#274 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:57 pm

A taller Van Horn with more 3PT volume is a 3rd option on a championship caliber team IMO. And thats clearly worth a 3rd pick or higher in this draft. That player has a more defined role in todays NBA than a traditional big like Wiseman, a low efficiency high volume scorer like Edwards or a giant White Chocolate clone like LaMelo. There are no #1, or I would argue #2, option players in this draft. Everyone has their own evaluations though.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#275 » by King Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:43 am

EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I disagree but we shall see.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#276 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:17 am

King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:You really think a taller Van Horn potentially is a top overall pick?

I disagree but we shall see.

I mean the thing is he's probably a better passer than KVH and for sure a better rim protector. KVH shot 36% on 3s and 83.5% from the line scoring 16 ppg for his career. You give me that and a guy who could average 4ast and 1.5-2 blk (KVH averaged 1.6 and 0.6), and that's a multiple All-Star/All-NBA player.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

Post#277 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:06 am

You know, I've had strong reservations about Poku, wondering who he'd guard with his frame and how his body could withstand the rigors of a NBA season. But even I tend to see him through that soft romantic filter when he makes great passes and plays and shots at his height that linger even with his taking some plays off on D. He's 18, but with an intriguing talent package. A long-term project, but we're great at that. I know nothing about his character, work ethic or drive, but if these check out, in the back of my mind I wonder whether PATFO secret-key have him as a consideration, too. If we think he has the highest ceiling depending on who has already been drafted ahead of us, he does fit a positional need where we have to shore up talent.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#278 » by clyde21 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:51 am

GREY 1769 wrote:You know, I've had strong reservations about Poku, wondering who he'd guard with his frame and how his body could withstand the rigors of a NBA season. But even I tend to see him through that soft romantic filter when he makes great passes and plays and shots at his height that linger even with his taking some plays off on D. He's 18, but with an intriguing talent package. A long-term project, but we're great at that. I know nothing about his character, work ethic or drive, but if these check out, in the back of my mind I wonder whether PATFO secret-key have him as a consideration, too. If we think he has the highest ceiling depending on who has already been drafted ahead of us, he does fit a positional need where we have to shore up talent.

he'd be a good fit for the Spurs i agree
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#279 » by BlueSan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm

His jumper is not ok.

Goes to /\ shape with legs, his body is also not developed in the right way, so he would be a project in the making.

For me not a top 5 prospect definitely
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#280 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 pm

AS A PRE-DRAFT PROSPECT, I just see a lot of similarities between Aleksej and Giannis. I kinda think someone will fall in love in the middle of the first round, especially with it being a weaker draft kinda like 2013.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to NBA Draft