ImageImage

2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#281 » by Village Idiot » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:42 pm

Jason Quick has redeemed himself in my opinion with a series of fantastic article on the Athletic. Most recent is a quality piece on Dame and his new-found desire to win a championship
“I want to win it all. I think it’s that simple,” Lillard said. “You know, I just turned 30 and I still feel young, and I am young, you know? But I’m just to that point where, you know, I’ve done just about everything. Off the court I’ve done a lot … and I’ve done a lot on the court: five-time All-Star, this year most likely be five-times All-NBA, I’m having my best year statistically … I’m doing all these things — I haven’t been MVP, which I want to be — but I’m just like, what do I want to walk away with? What really means the most when I’m done playing, where I can look back and I can say I did that, I experienced that? And that’s winning it all.”
“So I’m to the point where I really want to win it all, and then look back and say ‘I want to come on everybody’s TV show, and let’s talk about what you all said all those years, all those times.’ And we won it all. That’s what it is. That’s just my focus right now. Anything can happen right now. We haven’t played in four months, and our focus is to get into the playoffs and anything is possible, literally, because of the circumstances we are playing under. So going forward, that’s where my mind is, and where I want our team’s mind to be. I want to get it done and win it all.”
That's fantastic for us fans to hear. Unfortunately I don't think we'll quite get there this year.

What are we lacking?

- A wing defender who can defend LeBron, Giannis, George or Kawhi
- A better back-up PG who can run the offense

otherwise I would say we are in pretty good shape

This offseason we have a lot of assets to spend in a buyers market. If Jody Allen wants to win now is the time.

Draft picks are exciting and always fun to speculate on but we need win now guys not a player who might contribute in 2-3 years, if ever.

So here is my plan.

Orlando - Portland- This deal is two parts, one this salary year and the other in the new salary year

Portland trades:

Anfernee Simons
#14 pick
2021 pick - top 10 protected
Trevor Ariza

Orlando trades:

Aaron Gordon
Mo Bamba

Forbes had an interesting article about trade chatter going on in Orlando. My target Aaron Gordon was mentioned prominently

Gordon was on the block at the trade deadline last February and there was interest from teams like Golden State and Phoenix, but nothing that got close to becoming a workable deal. Gordon bounced back after a rough start but still, the Magic want to give the team over to Jonathan Isaac and Gordon just doesn’t fit with that plan. He has a contract that lines up well for a trade, declining to $18.1 million next year and $16.4 million in the final year of the deal.

Eastern Conference exec: “They were really trying to deal him before the deadline but they weren’t getting the assets back they wanted. It will be easier to move that contract when it’s only got two years left. He’s probably the most likely big name to be traded. He’s a good gamble—he is only 24.”

Aaron Gordon

I've been watching a lot of the Smart Highlights videos on him. They show the godly, the good, the bad and the ugly.

The bad:

- Decision making- One thing that strikes me about AG is that he brings the ball up a lot for the Magic and subsequently makes a lot of stupid decisions with the ball. He tries to do too much with the ball and struggles in complex situations.

- Shooting percentages and shot selection- He takes far too many fadeaways. He thinks too much when he's open. His footwork on his shooting is inconsistent. He has NEVER played with a quality point guard. Jameer Nelson, DJ Augustin, Elfrid Payton and now Markelle Fultz are the guys he's played with in Orlando. Yuck!

But there is hope:
NotACat wrote:I finally got around to writing up a season recap of the Orlando Magic, you can check it out here: https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2020/7/15/21325517/orlando-magic-season-recap-so-far
When receiving a pass from Fultz, all the starters (excluding Jonathan Isaac due to sample size), have shot much better from deep:

3pt % when receiving a pass from Fultz

Aaron Gordon
30.1 -> 42.3
+12.2

These numbers are a great sign for the team and the change in Aaron Gordon’s shooting is remarkable. Its clear that Fultz has been able to break down defenses and set up his teammates for great shots. Evan Fournier and Aaron Gordon have been taking some ball handling duties away from Fultz, it will be interesting to see how Coach Clifford balances facilitator duties in the restart.

The good:

- He can defend LeBron, Ben Simmons and Giannis about as well as anybody.

- He has a really good eurostep and is great in the open court.

- Fantastic P+R ball-handler. Great first step and just blows past big men

- He abuses SFs in the post.

- He is a pretty good 3 pt shooter from the corner.

- Good high post player where he is a triple threat.

- Good passing skills but makes a lot of simple mistakes.

- Fantastic 2nd and 3rd chance rebounder. Create instant fast breaks since he can board and go

I would love to see what Gordon could do for us at SF and back-up PF. In a more narrowly defined role, getting easy corner looks and scoring off cuts and post up off of switches he could be the SF we're looking for, especially since Collins and Nurkic have improved their long-range shooting.

Mo Bamba

Mo Bamba is very much in Steve Clifford's doghouse. He came into Orlando out of shape after having gained a self reported 28 pounds (of fat). It seems like both the Magic fans and their coaching staff are ready to move on.

In theory he's the ideal third big for Portland. He's long and agile and can hit the 3. He's smart and well spoken but for some reason just can't put it together for more than a game at a time. Here's his detailed scouting report

If we look at this sub-deal at #14 and absorbing Bamba into the TPE then it's basically taking a shot on Bamba over whomever we could draft there. Given the great job the Blazers have done with both Nurkic and Collins I think he is worth taking a flyer on.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#282 » by Village Idiot » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:54 pm

part 2

Free-agency:

Let Whiteside and Hoard walk
retain Gabriel

resign Carmelo Anthony using BAE

MLE - sign Goran Dragic to 3 year/$19.5 million deal - 7.5/6.5/5.5 with a team option for year 3

Dragic would be the perfect back-up PG since he can still lead a team well and score at all three levels. He's getting up there in years and Miami will clearly let him go

Draft

#44 Payton Pritchard - I can see him contributing a lot like FVV and Dellavedova have

Line-up

PG- Lillard, Dragic, Pritchard
SG - McCollum, Trent
SF- Gordon, Hood, Little, Hezonja
PF- Collins, Melo, Gabriel
C - Nurkic, Bamba, Brown

Team salary would be about $130 about at the expected luxury tax threshold
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,407

Post#283 » by JRoy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Jason Quick has redeemed himself in my opinion with a series of fantastic article on the Athletic. Most recent is a quality piece on Dame and his new-found desire to win a championship
“I want to win it all. I think it’s that simple,” Lillard said. “You know, I just turned 30 and I still feel young, and I am young, you know? But I’m just to that point where, you know, I’ve done just about everything. Off the court I’ve done a lot … and I’ve done a lot on the court: five-time All-Star, this year most likely be five-times All-NBA, I’m having my best year statistically … I’m doing all these things — I haven’t been MVP, which I want to be — but I’m just like, what do I want to walk away with? What really means the most when I’m done playing, where I can look back and I can say I did that, I experienced that? And that’s winning it all.”
“So I’m to the point where I really want to win it all, and then look back and say ‘I want to come on everybody’s TV show, and let’s talk about what you all said all those years, all those times.’ And we won it all. That’s what it is. That’s just my focus right now. Anything can happen right now. We haven’t played in four months, and our focus is to get into the playoffs and anything is possible, literally, because of the circumstances we are playing under. So going forward, that’s where my mind is, and where I want our team’s mind to be. I want to get it done and win it all.”
That's fantastic for us fans to hear. Unfortunately I don't think we'll quite get there this year.

What are we lacking?

- A wing defender who can defend LeBron, Giannis, George or Kawhi
- A better back-up PG who can run the offense

otherwise I would say we are in pretty good shape

This offseason we have a lot of assets to spend in a buyers market. If Jody Allen wants to win now is the time.

Draft picks are exciting and always fun to speculate on but we need win now guys not a player who might contribute in 2-3 years, if ever.

So here is my plan.

Orlando - Portland- This deal is two parts, one this salary year and the other in the new salary year

Portland trades:

Anfernee Simons
#14 pick
2021 pick - top 10 protected
Trevor Ariza

Orlando trades:

Aaron Gordon
Mo Bamba

Forbes had an interesting article about trade chatter going on in Orlando. My target Aaron Gordon was mentioned prominently

Gordon was on the block at the trade deadline last February and there was interest from teams like Golden State and Phoenix, but nothing that got close to becoming a workable deal. Gordon bounced back after a rough start but still, the Magic want to give the team over to Jonathan Isaac and Gordon just doesn’t fit with that plan. He has a contract that lines up well for a trade, declining to $18.1 million next year and $16.4 million in the final year of the deal.

Eastern Conference exec: “They were really trying to deal him before the deadline but they weren’t getting the assets back they wanted. It will be easier to move that contract when it’s only got two years left. He’s probably the most likely big name to be traded. He’s a good gamble—he is only 24.”

Aaron Gordon

I've been watching a lot of the Smart Highlights videos on him. They show the godly, the good, the bad and the ugly.

The bad:

- Decision making- One thing that strikes me about AG is that he brings the ball up a lot for the Magic and subsequently makes a lot of stupid decisions with the ball. He tries to do too much with the ball and struggles in complex situations.

- Shooting percentages and shot selection- He takes far too many fadeaways. He thinks too much when he's open. His footwork on his shooting is inconsistent. He has NEVER played with a quality point guard. Jameer Nelson, DJ Augustin, Elfrid Payton and now Markelle Fultz are the guys he's played with in Orlando. Yuck!

But there is hope:
NotACat wrote:I finally got around to writing up a season recap of the Orlando Magic, you can check it out here: https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2020/7/15/21325517/orlando-magic-season-recap-so-far
When receiving a pass from Fultz, all the starters (excluding Jonathan Isaac due to sample size), have shot much better from deep:

3pt % when receiving a pass from Fultz

Aaron Gordon
30.1 -> 42.3
+12.2

These numbers are a great sign for the team and the change in Aaron Gordon’s shooting is remarkable. Its clear that Fultz has been able to break down defenses and set up his teammates for great shots. Evan Fournier and Aaron Gordon have been taking some ball handling duties away from Fultz, it will be interesting to see how Coach Clifford balances facilitator duties in the restart.

The good:

- He can defend LeBron, Ben Simmons and Giannis about as well as anybody.

- He has a really good eurostep and is great in the open court.

- Fantastic P+R ball-handler. Great first step and just blows past big men

- He abuses SFs in the post.

- He is a pretty good 3 pt shooter from the corner.

- Good high post player where he is a triple threat.

- Good passing skills but makes a lot of simple mistakes.

- Fantastic 2nd and 3rd chance rebounder. Create instant fast breaks since he can board and go

I would love to see what Gordon could do for us at SF and back-up PF. In a more narrowly defined role, getting easy corner looks and scoring off cuts and post up off of switches he could be the SF we're looking for, especially since Collins and Nurkic have improved their long-range shooting.

Mo Bamba

Mo Bamba is very much in Steve Clifford's doghouse. He came into Orlando out of shape after having gained a self reported 28 pounds (of fat). It seems like both the Magic fans and their coaching staff are ready to move on.

In theory he's the ideal third big for Portland. He's long and agile and can hit the 3. He's smart and well spoken but for some reason just can't put it together for more than a game at a time. Here's his detailed scouting report

If we look at this sub-deal at #14 and absorbing Bamba into the TPE then it's basically taking a shot on Bamba over whomever we could draft there. Given the great job the Blazers have done with both Nurkic and Collins I think he is worth taking a flyer on.

I’m not normally a fan of AG trades but I do like Mo Bamba.

This one works for me.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#284 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:56 pm

I dont think Orlando will walk from Bamba that easily, including him is getting greedy. I am wary on Gordon since he cant shoot, but his defensive profile is enticing and he has never played on a team with leadership, structure and playoff experience. Thats always something I look for in a guy, could the move to a better franchise unlock something? I think it could in Gordon's case. And shooting can be alleviated with Hood IMO. I think you have to keep Bamba if your Orlando, so the deal would have to be Ariza, Simons, 14, Filler (Mario works) for Gordon and maybe a future 2nd.

I think Dragic would be great, but still hold out that we can finally get a defender at PG. Dragic can run a team and score, and I actually like his age as a veteran fit, but I still really like Kris Dunn as a defender that can guard both spots. Then again, if we are going for it signing Dragic for 2 years could be a sneaky good move. Just doesnt help the defense. I will lean your way and say go with the veteran who can provide the playoff experience.

Finally, I love the idea of using the TPE to bring Kanter back and try to improve on our 2nd round draft spot. Alot of Boston fans have been receptive to TPE + 44 for Kanter + 30. Thats the value type deal Neil loves. Take Otoru at 30.

So, end of the day, similar results but a few differences. This would be my hope:

G - Damian Lillard / Goran Dragic
G - CJ McCollum / Gary Trent Jr
F - Aaron Gordon / Rodney Hood / Nassir Little
F - Zach Collins / Carmelo Athony / Wenyen Gabriel
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Enes Kanter / Daniel Otoru
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#285 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Bamba looked really slow in the Orlando game I caught. With Nurkic and Collins I cant see much need for him here.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#286 » by Goldbum » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:54 pm

I do thay deal in a heartbeat. I hate to give up ANT and 2 picks but Bamba is a great get. No more trying to figure out how to keep Ant off ball give all those minutes to GTJ. Dragic would be an expensive declining backup PG but honestly that's not a terrible option.
I might save a ton of cash and go with Dante Exum or Elfrid Payton. Just as a way of minimizing salary going into Dame's super max. Both are bigger, longer, younger and could likely be had on a prove it deal.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#287 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:54 pm

Dragic would be an expensive declining backup PG but honestly that's not a terrible option.

Honestly, Dragic is still so good he would likely eat all the backup SG minutes to go along with PG. He is putting up 6MOTY numbers as a 28mpg backup this season. He gets to the line (4.1 times in 28mpg is excellent, much better than any Blazer outside Dame), can hit mid ranged and is a respectable 38% from 3. His defense is poor but he would be a big, we are going all in Dame, type move for this franchise.

Bamba looked really slow in the Orlando game I caught. With Nurkic and Collins I cant see much need for him here.

He has always reacted slow, but now he looks slow on the court as well. I question his drive much more than someone like Bol Bol who has been maligned for a year in terms of his effort. Bamba just doesnt seem to want it. I dont think Orlando trust him as their backup center, why should we, a team with higher asperations, trust him? I would draft a player of similar profile as my 3rd string developmental guy but no way do I think Bamba is someone you can trust to play 15-20mpg in a playoff environment. No way.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#288 » by Goldbum » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:36 am

I think Bamba is one of those uber talented guys who maybe Dame could get motivated. If he could be a perfect complement to Collins/Nurkic/Gabriel
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#289 » by d-train » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Team salary would be about $130 about at the expected luxury tax threshold

Blazers salary next year will be between $120-124M, probably closer to $120M.

Unless, the NBA does some sort of smoothing adjustment. In which case, the Blazers would be screwed badly. The Blazers are positioned to capitalize on the cap crunch. We are hurt if the NBA steps in and takes away the benefits the cap crunch would bring to Blazers.

BTW, there is a good reason Gordon is available, Bamba too.
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#290 » by Village Idiot » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:50 pm

d-train wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:Team salary would be about $130 about at the expected luxury tax threshold

Unless, the NBA does some sort of smoothing adjustment. In which case, the Blazers would be screwed badly. The Blazers are positioned to capitalize on the cap crunch. We are hurt if the NBA steps in and takes away the benefits the cap crunch would bring to Blazers.

What I meant was that the resulting team salary from my proposal would be about $130 million.

Duh. :banghead: Unfortunately we need to limit ourselves to trying to acquire players who are available. I'd love to get Giannis or Anthony Davis but they clearly they are not available.

We need to find guys like Nurkic who have the capability of developing into better, more valuable players than they are when they are available. I feel Aaron Gordon and Mo Bamba squarely fit that description.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#291 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:08 pm

We need to find guys like Nurkic who have the capability of developing into better, more valuable players than they are when they are available. I feel Aaron Gordon and Mo Bamba squarely fit that description.

On top of being tepid in regards to trusting Bamba in meaningful games, its also worth noting he is destined to be a perennial backup here and has only 2 years remaining on his deal. With our money crunch, we cant afford to sign a backup center to a big deal summer 2022 and with Mo already grumbling about minutes in Orlando, why would he even want to resign.

I would rather keep our future 1st rounder in that trade, get a veteran for this year and potentially 21/22, and draft someone in 2021 or 2022 to have for 4 years on the cheap rather than two.

I have come around to the idea of Ariza + Simons + FRP for Gordon. As long as Zach can hit the 3, and with Nurkic developing one, my largest qualm for Gordon (Shooting) is somewhat mitigated. I am very interested in how he would fit on a good team.
d-train
RealGM

Post#292 » by d-train » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
d-train wrote:

What I meant was that the resulting team salary from my proposal would be about $130 million.

Duh. :banghead: Unfortunately we need to limit ourselves to trying to acquire players who are available. I'd love to get Giannis or Anthony Davis but they clearly they are not available.

Olshey made a great trade when he got Nurkic, but Nurkic wasn't available to anyone that would take him and could make a deal work under the rules. And, Plumlee wasn't available to anyone that would take him either. Magic would trade Gordon and/or Bamba just to improve their financial situation. Warriors could have Gordon for a bag of Doritos and their TPE. Warriors would rather keep a bag of Doritos.
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#293 » by Village Idiot » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:09 pm

d-train wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
d-train wrote:Blazers salary next year will be between $120-124M, probably closer to $120M.

Olshey made a great trade when he got Nurkic, but Nurkic wasn't available to anyone that would take him and could make a deal work under the rules. And, Plumlee wasn't available to anyone that would take him either. Magic would trade Gordon and/or Bamba just to improve their financial situation. Warriors could have Gordon for a bag of Doritos and their TPE. Warriors would rather keep a bag of Doritos.
If the tax lands at 135 million and the Warriors payroll stays where it is projected to be at around 163.5 million they're already looking at a tax bill of 76.5 million. And that is before using the TPE of 17 million. If they use that they are looking at a luxury tax of 163 million due to the highly punitive nature of the tax increments. No way they are going to use that TPE. BTW Gordon makes more than the Warriors TPE so if they want to acquire him they'd have to trade somebody.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#294 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:57 pm

Magic would trade Gordon and/or Bamba just to improve their financial situation. Warriors could have Gordon for a bag of Doritos and their TPE. Warriors would rather keep a bag of Doritos.

This is just absolute BS, and I am not particularly high on either.

If Aaron Gordon was on this team you would look at him as a core piece. But he isnt, so he sucks.
d-train
RealGM

Post#295 » by d-train » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm

Village Idiot wrote:If the tax lands at 135 million and the Warriors payroll stays where it is projected to be at around 163.5 million they're already looking at a tax bill of 76.5 million. And that is before using the TPE of 17 million. If they use that they are looking at a luxury tax of 163 million due to the highly punitive nature of the tax increments. No way they are going to use that TPE. BTW Gordon makes more than the Warriors TPE so if they want to acquire him they'd have to trade somebody.

I believe the old tax projection was between $140-142M. I haven't seen a really credible official new tax projection, but considering how much the NBA is doing to mitigate losses, and projections of the losses, I am guessing the new tax threshold will be between $120-124M. No way it will be anything close to $135M, unless the NBA does some major meddling with the CBA.

Yes, the Warriors would have to pay taxes on any player they acquire using their TPE. This is going to be the situation for most teams. Even the Blazers, if we used all our other available exceptions, we would owe luxury taxes on the salary of any player acquired with our $7M TPE. I agree the Warriors probably won't use their TPE, but they are on record saying they will for the right deal. The point I was trying to make about Gordon is Magic would void their contract with Gordon and show him the door if they had that option. I can't say this about any contract the Blazers have next year, other than Ariza who will be waived by Oct 18.
d-train
RealGM

Post#296 » by d-train » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Magic would trade Gordon and/or Bamba just to improve their financial situation. Warriors could have Gordon for a bag of Doritos and their TPE. Warriors would rather keep a bag of Doritos.

This is just absolute BS, and I am not particularly high on either.

If Aaron Gordon was on this team you would look at him as a core piece. But he isnt, so he sucks.

I definitely wouldn't view Gordon as a core piece. If we were obligated to pay his salary, it would change our options for the worse IMO. However, it would also make some options worth considering that I currently wouldn't consider. For example, I don't want Gordon, but I do like his teammate Fournier. I wouldn't consider Fournier because his contract is too expensive for this off-season, but if we had an overpaid player like Gordon, I would trade him for Fournier.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#297 » by GEE » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 am

The ultimate goal is to be able to beat both LA teams. Am I right?

Briefly, I would say the key to beating the Lakers, as with any team, is to pick your poison and try to take away something they like, and need to be doing to win. You can't stop Lebron and Davis, but it would be my strategy to try and keep those two out of the painted area as much as possible. Make them shoot the ball from as far away as possible.

For the Clips, You have to be able to match up to their wings. PG and KL are arguably the two best 3&Ds in the league, so with that, we need a few good one's as well, while being solid in all other positions, both offensively and defensively. If your team isn't, those two are masters of finding those weaknesses, and abusing them.

On a different note, WAR SIMONS! You guys are ready to turn the page on this kid? I'm not. He's special, and is getting most of the attention from coaches these last three scrimmages. A crash-course for the upcoming play-in. These games have been mostly for his development. He's been givin' the keys and the spot light, and with that has made some mistakes on the court, but I have no doubt he's learning from everything he's doing out there, and will far eclipse GTJ in the very near future. Go ahead and trade him, and you'll be singing that same sad song we all sang when Jermaine O'neil was dealt.

As far as trades, I stand firm on my belief that we are in the window NOW, we are close to fully built, and I feel a big trade is both unnecessary and risky. Like a boat in the water, it's currently smooth sailing, but if you add a big personality like AG or Bamba, it could rock the boat. If you do this trade we would be saying bye to Whiteside and likely Hood as well, and I love both going forward.

Lastly, I did punch up the proposed trade in the trade checker, and stumbled onto my newest, most favorite and boring trade of the year... the finishing touch: GTJ / TPE / #14 for Terrence Ross. I absolutely love this second unit with:

Dame / Simons / Pritchard
CJ / Ross
Hood / Melo / Little
Collins / Gabriel
Nurkic / Whiteside

Two more spots available for whatever weakness needs filled, maybe a 3rd C and vet PG. Saw Michael Carter-Wiliiams would be available. I really like his fit for our team as a 6'6 pure PG, who is long and plays good D. Could serve as a Livingston type. Center... BPA. I'm aware there is a 15th spot and would rather leave it open, or just fill it with Moses (non-guaranteed).
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#298 » by Goldbum » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 am

I like a lot of your trade ideas GEE but that feels like an awful deal for Ross. Like a serious serious overpay. He could be a nice mid level talent to look at but thats 3 positive assets for an non star player.

EDIT: I could see a TPE/Little/#44 for Ross. We then cut Ariza and Ross becomes our starting SF. I hate to give up little so early but you're right we are in a win now mode and Ross would really open up the floor as a catch and shoot weapon. So that's 2 lesser assets plus the TPE for a player in Ross who fits the Dame/CJ time-line. GTJ stays on as a 6th man and we can get another piece for the bench in round 1.
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#299 » by Village Idiot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:18 pm

GEE wrote:As far as trades, I stand firm on my belief that we are in the window NOW, we are close to fully built, and I feel a big trade is both unnecessary and risky. Like a boat in the water, it's currently smooth sailing, but if you add a big personality like AG or Bamba, it could rock the boat. If you do this trade we would be saying bye to Whiteside and likely Hood as well, and I love both going forward.

Lastly, I did punch up the proposed trade in the trade checker, and stumbled onto my newest, most favorite and boring trade of the year... the finishing touch: GTJ / TPE / #14 for Terrence Ross. I absolutely love this second unit with:
We added two big personalities in Melo and Whiteside and that seemed to go well enough from the cultural fit perspective. I'm not worried about Gordon. He seems like a guy who would be happy in a complimentary and more efficient role. Bamba has the exact same mental and "attitude" problems Nurkic did when we acquired him except his physical profile is more impressive. I am perfectly happy letting Whiteside go if we get Bamba. I would like to keep Hood though and doubt there is a market for him as anything other than an ending contract given the nature of his injury. He has no value until he steps on a court again and proves his worth.

I love Ross and his game fits us perfectly. Your trade isn't legal though since you can't combine a TPE with a player to reach the matching salary threshold.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#300 » by zzaj » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:57 pm

IMHO, if the Blazers were able to add Gordon and Dragic in exchange for what has been tossed around on this thread, it would make them a better team in the win column.

Lillard
CJ
Gordon
Dragic
Collins

is a solid 6 players to build a team around. Certainly better than what Simons/Melo is going to bring to the team during Lillard's prime. The Blazers still wouldn't have a SF though. Gordon's best years (incl. shooting %s) have been at PF, taking advantage of his athletic ability. My fear is that Stotts would slot him in at the SF and put Collins in at PF...I don't think that utilizes Gordon's best attributes.

Lillard/Dragic
CJ/Dragic
Ariza/Little
Gordon/Collins
Nurkic/Collins

makes more sense to me.

As for Bamba, I don't think Orlando is getting rid of him yet. Not for what the Blazers have to offer, anyway.

Lastly, some have been putting hopes in Hood's return...I have hope that Hood can return as basically a standstill shooter, but it's likely even the mediocre aspects of his offensive and defensive game will be a casualty of his achilles injury, long-term.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers