Nuggets - Potential Playoff Matchups

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Nuggets - Potential Playoff Matchups 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am

Nuggets are in third place - unlikely to catch the Clippers (but possible). Utah has a chance to catch Denver. Do we want to end up in 3rd or 4th? Is there an advantage to either one?

In the first round, it doesn't make a lot of difference since OKC and Houston are tied for 5th-6th. Typically we do well against OKC and not so well against Houston - but at this point, that seems to be out of our control.

Assuming top seeds win the first round; we could face either LA team in the second round. Lakers seem likely to be in first place with the Clippers in second. Does it make much difference which one we play? Hmmm ...

It seems like perhaps Murray's earlier statement that when the Nuggets play their best, they can beat anyone in a seven game series might just be the best way to look at the potential playoff matchups.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Re: Nuggets - Potential Playoff Matchups 

Post#2 » by TunaFish » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:16 pm

There is a possibility that the Nuggets treat these next few games as more of a tuneup with some experimental lineups. I am factoring in that first round of the playoffs is such a crap shoot that one slot is nearly as good as the next with no home-court advantage. I think we are going to see some Bol and MPJ in the immediate future.

If Murray and Jokic start out slow that wouldn't be a surprise to me nor would the loses in the next games. Playoffs will be a different story. If they start out hot, lets hope they can sustain it.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:48 pm

The way we're playing right now, 4th of 5th seed is possible, but so could the 2nd spot, especially with what's going on in the LAC locker room. Seeding is very important IF your team is engaged, which the Nuggets team doesn't seem to be. 7-8 players missing while they were fully aware of the expected deadline for the bubble (is our roster intact yet ?). Do see some potential with MPJ and Bol but still wondering if Malone can coach this team to the next level. I think Malone has done a great job developing young players, even going back to D-Cousins but is that ALL he is ?? Most say we're 2-3 years away from truly contending (is that because LBJ may be done by then ?) and I can possibly see that but this is a great opportunity that could easily pass us by.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 am

Only 1 game out of the 2nd seed in the West, moves to 1/2 a game if we can beat MIA. LAC has just two player (although All-Stars) to worry about, we have a much deeper team. By the same token, UTH just moved within a game of our 3rd seed spot so we need to keep that distance as well. So here's the question: can this Nuggets team rise up to the challenge with 8 games before the playoffs ??

skywalker33

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:09 pm

With today's surprising upset of LAC by PHX, Nuggets again just one game back of Clippers with 6 games to go, (5 for LAC). Our last game is against, you guessed it, the LA Clippers !! We're not at full strength yet, HOPEFULLY we will be before the playoffs get here, nice to build our chemistry and bench back up. SAS up next they'll be coming off a loss but we should be able to ride the Porter wave to another victory.

Would be nice to see POR beat HOU tonight too....

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Wed Aug 5, 2020 12:23 am

Our bubble priority should be to establish MPJ into teams "The 3rd Star" and starter and to escape in 1st round LAL, LAC, and Houston.

That means we will face Utah, Oklahoma or Dallas in the PO 1st round, which is OK in all 3 cases (especially Oklahoma which we beat in 8 out of our last 9 games). Someone would say that Utah is not worse than Houston, but that is only current standings delusion. In reality, late Covington trade improved Rockets, and Bojan Bogdanovic is out for the season for Utah which will significantly damage Jazz offense.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#7 » by psimanic1 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 9:31 am

THE J0KER wrote:Our bubble priority should be to establish MPJ into teams "The 3rd Star" and starter and to escape in 1st round LAL, LAC, and Houston.

That means we will face Utah, Oklahoma or Dallas in the PO 1st round, which is OK in all 3 cases (especially Oklahoma which we beat in 8 out of our last 9 games). Someone would say that Utah is not worse than Houston, but that is only current standings delusion. In reality, late Covington trade improved Rockets, and Bojan Bogdanovic is out for the season for Utah which will significantly damage Jazz offense.

And we only need 7 players to beat Utah
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:10 am

psimanic1 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Our bubble priority should be to establish MPJ into teams "The 3rd Star" and starter and to escape in 1st round LAL, LAC, and Houston.

:lol: Lightning can strike the same place twice --- but in the last game, we only had four players and a few statues :cheesygrin:
skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 5:32 pm

psimanic1 wrote:

A rarity for sure but I do like the UTH matchup as out best opportunity to win in the 1st round of the playoffs, followed by OKC. DAL seems dangerous to me and we all know how well we don't match up well with HOU.

Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#10 » by Manolito » Thu Aug 6, 2020 12:10 pm

Key game is Utah on Saturday. If we beat them, it is impossible they have a better record.

I think Houston is going to win minimum 4 more games and same for OKC, therefore we need 3 more wins to avoid them and play versus Utah (weakest team IMO).

Portland L
Utah W
Lakers W
Clippers L
Raptors W

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using RealGM mobile app
skywalker33

Post#11 » by skywalker33 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:05 pm

Manolito wrote:Key game is Utah on Saturday. If we beat them, it is impossible they have a better record.

I think Houston is going to win minimum 4 more games and same for OKC, therefore we need 3 more wins to avoid them and play versus Utah (weakest team IMO).

Portland L
Utah W
Lakers W
Clippers L
Raptors W

Feels like the Rockets are trying for the 4th or 5th seed IMO, their best match ups

skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 11:24 pm

Looking at potential playoff match-ups, thinking we may want that 4th spot for ourselves. As it stands the 5/6th seeds are OKC and UTH, both who I feel we stand a good shot at beating. I'm feeling the Lakers seem the most vulnerable right now, even as the top seed. Should the LAL survive the 1st round (seems I'm not the only one who can conceive an upset) and HOU and the Clips advance, we'd play the dreaded Laker while the Rockets and Clips would be pitted against each other, that'll be a much more vicious series than DEN-LAL in my opinion. LeBron is still focused but the Lakers aren't the same w/o him and he's getting older and need more rest. Also, missing Avery and Rondo are big losses to the teams defense. Granted, we aren't in great health either but I feel we'd still have a good shot at beating them. That's take us out of the frying pan and into the fire, meeting either HOU or LAC in the WCF.

Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#13 » by Manolito » Sat Aug 8, 2020 8:23 am

After yesterday losses from OKC and UTH ,we need two wins to secure top4.

I do not know if I prefer being 3th or 4th, I do not see a big difference.

HOU draft pick is going to be 24 or 25

skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:25 pm

After seeing some potential emanating from MPJ, Grant establishing his skill set (great for contract negotiations) and the resurrection of Murray from injury it’s giving me some different perspective on this statement: We should be concerned about who we match up against in the playoffs...perhaps it should read Who we match up against in the playoffs should be concerned with US !

We now have THREE potential 20+ppg scorers, strong defenders in Grant, Milsap, TC and perhaps even Harris with a bench of Barton, Morris, Plumlee, Dozier perhaps even Bol and Daniels.

Since the restart Jokic is averaging 23/8/9, Porter is avg 25/10, Grant going at 17/5 while Murray returned with an eye-opening 23/12/8 performance. Three games until Mission 16

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,167

Post#15 » by Mickey8 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:26 pm

I dont think Denver should pick and chose their opponents , if they are real contenders they will beat whoever they face in the play offs.
skywalker33

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:37 pm

Mickey8 wrote:I dont think Denver should pick and chose their opponents , if they are real contenders they will beat whoever they face in the play offs.

It really seems like the RESTART is not a primer for the playoffs as much as it losing for playoff seeding, which IMO, help you lose any momentum going entering into the tournament. Seems OKC and UTH are jockeying to play us rather than the Rockets, BAADDD CHOICE !! Of course, either OKC or UTH are my first choice as I think DAL is more dangerous than either. In fact, if all high seeds win, it would be the best path to the Finals IMO.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:04 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:I dont think Denver should pick and chose their opponents , if they are real contenders they will beat whoever they face in the play offs.

It really seems like the RESTART is not a primer for the playoffs as much as it losing for playoff seeding, which IMO, help you lose any momentum going entering into the tournament. Seems OKC and UTH are jockeying to play us rather than the Rockets, BAADDD CHOICE !! Of course, either OKC or UTH are my first choice as I think DAL is more dangerous than either. In fact, if all high seeds win, it would be the best path to the Finals IMO.

It may be killing Malone to not play his best every minute but he's got to consider conditioning too. With that said, I have no doubt Malone is doing his best to win every game and since I'm a whole lot older than he is, that's the way I was raised too - give everything you got, no matter what the score. As Skywalker said, momentum can be very important and if you want to beat the best from the East, playing the best from the West is the best way to prepare. :wink:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#18 » by THE J0KER » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:23 am

Watching yesterday's DEN-LAL game I have some feeling Lakers want Nuggets in WC-SF more than Rockets, and Nuggets want Lakers in WC-SF more than Clippers.

But probably both teams are wrong, Lakers underrated arrival of MPJ, and Nuggets overrated weak bubble performance where Lakers after beating Clippers first day not fighting for anything with WC#1 is secured.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#19 » by TunaFish » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:01 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Watching yesterday's DEN-LAL game I have some feeling Lakers want Nuggets in WC-SF more than Rockets, and Nuggets want Lakers in WC-SF more than Clippers.

But probably both teams are wrong, Lakers underrated arrival of MPJ, and Nuggets overrated weak bubble performance where Lakers after beating Clippers first day not fighting for anything with WC#1 is secured.

Except for the eight seed and with no home court advantage, there is little to play for. All the teams 3 through 7 are strong enough to be a threat so you have to take what comes.

Better to be careful over the last few games to not over extend and risk injury.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#20 » by The Rebel » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:14 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

I understand the Jazz wanting to avoid the Rockets, Gobert is ineffective against them and so that kills their defense. The Thunder have been pretty good against the Rockets for the last few years while we have beat them 2 out of 3 this year and seemingly have their number for years.

If we are to make it to the finals we will have to beat 2 out of the Lakers, Clippers, and Rockets baring some major upset in the 1st round, I really do not care what order we play them in.

Return to Denver Nuggets