Bigger freak athlete Lebron or Tysons

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

?

Mike Tyson
35%
Tyson Fury
6%
Lebron James
59%

Total votes: 106

Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Re: Bigger freak athlete Lebron or Tysons 

Post#21 » by Jazztop » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:18 am

I thought the poll was LeBron vs prime Mike Tyson athletic talent and then TS pulls out that big gypsy lumberjack Tyson Fury lol. He’s got a bit of skill I guess but athletically he’s not close to LeBron or any of the great heavyweight boxers for that matter.
PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,529

Post#22 » by PaKwAn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:20 am

EasternHeretic wrote:
Kingdibs19 wrote:As others have mentioned, Lebron is most likely better in every team sport there is (football, baseball, soccer etc)

And if you look at the Olympics, Lebron is likely better in at least 90% of the options (Running, Decathlon, Gymnastics, etc)

I can’t see how Tyson is the better athlete.

Gymnastics?

That's when he sways his arms when he flops
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#23 » by FreeThrowLine » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:22 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Athleticism is literally just ability to do physical activities, or perform well at different sports and feats?

I would bet LeBron James can win way more sports and feats of athleticism than vice versa with the other two.

If they start with Boxing Lebron is only winning the fastest trip to the hospital :P

For the people stating that Lebron would win all the events involving running, I don't think you realise

1. Just how fit you have to be to be able to box professionally
2. How much running a guy like Tyson did
3. Part of his training required he wake up at 4am to go for a run

Lebron through basketball is conditioned for more up and down, short bursts followed by stoppage etc, whilst he's obviously extremely fit, I don't know if he has an advantage in a long distance run vs a prime Tyson. That type of run takes away a lot of the advantages Lebron would have in general and puts them on a more equal footing and I'd argue Tyson probably incorporated more of those style runs into his training that Lebron would have

From personal experience, I've played basketball all my life, but never felt fitter/stronger than the 5-6 years I was boxing
rapsdontlie
Pro Prospect
And1: 985

Post#24 » by rapsdontlie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:27 am

Gotta go with Iron Mike.

LeBron is a freak athlete, no doubt. But although it's still rare, the league has seen freakish athletes like him. Charles Barkley before. And now we have Zion.... It's LeBron's BBIQ and innate feel for the game, on top of his athleticism, that makes him one of the all-time greats.

Iron Mike, on the other hand, I've never seen a physical specimen like him in boxing before, or since. Granted, I don't watch that much boxing... But have we ever seen another boxer with the sheer strength and punching speed that Mike had in his prime?

The "Wtf was that!?! I'm f*cked!" look on opponents when he suprises them with a clean power punch.... I've only seen Mike do something like that.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#25 » by red96 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:32 am

azuresou1 wrote:LeBron is a phenomenal and well-rounded athlete. He is elite on basically every dimension of athleticism that we've seen.

Mike Tyson on the other hand is pretty much the zenith of quick-twitch, explosive athleticism combined with razor sharp reaction time. This is a 53 year old Mike Tyson last month. He is simply on another level when it comes to explosiveness.

He also had phenomenal endurance when you consider the work rate and ferocity of his attack.

In summary I think it's only fair to judge them once we've established the framework of judgment. If it comes within the framework of sporting events, then LeBron is the superior athlete. If it comes within the framework of a survival/life or death situation though, give me Tyson every day.

GD. Even in his 50's, Tyson is a scary mofo.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#26 » by dautjazz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:56 am

red96 wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:LeBron is a phenomenal and well-rounded athlete. He is elite on basically every dimension of athleticism that we've seen.

Mike Tyson on the other hand is pretty much the zenith of quick-twitch, explosive athleticism combined with razor sharp reaction time. This is a 53 year old Mike Tyson last month. He is simply on another level when it comes to explosiveness.

He also had phenomenal endurance when you consider the work rate and ferocity of his attack.

In summary I think it's only fair to judge them once we've established the framework of judgment. If it comes within the framework of sporting events, then LeBron is the superior athlete. If it comes within the framework of a survival/life or death situation though, give me Tyson every day.

GD. Even in his 50's, Tyson is a scary mofo.

Yup safe to say he'd destroy 99.9% of the human population still lol
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
J___Av
Junior
And1: 454

Post#27 » by J___Av » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 am

infinite11285 wrote:

I REALLY hope Roy Jones Jr thinks this through and drops out of his scheduled fight with Mike.

RJJ will honestly probably pick him apart pretty easy. They are both shot, but RJJ has fought more recently and Tyson has zero heart
J___Av
Junior

Post#28 » by J___Av » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:38 am

rapsdontlie wrote:Gotta go with Iron Mike.

LeBron is a freak athlete, no doubt. But although it's still rare, the league has seen freakish athletes like him. Charles Barkley before. And now we have Zion.... It's LeBron's BBIQ and innate feel for the game, on top of his athleticism, that makes him one of the all-time greats.

Iron Mike, on the other hand, I've never seen a physical specimen like him in boxing before, or since. Granted, I don't watch that much boxing... But have we ever seen another boxer with the sheer strength and punching speed that Mike had in his prime?

The "Wtf was that!?! I'm f*cked!" look on opponents when he suprises them with a clean power punch.... I've only seen Mike do something like that.

The other old man Tyson is Boxing (RJJ) was by far the physically most gifted fighter ever. Ask on a Boxing form the best athlete ever and most will say Roy Jones Jr
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#29 » by michaelm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:44 am

J___Av wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

I REALLY hope Roy Jones Jr thinks this through and drops out of his scheduled fight with Mike.

RJJ will honestly probably pick him apart pretty easy. They are both shot, but RJJ has fought more recently and Tyson has zero heart

The last thing that goes is the punch though, as George Foreman demonstrated when he became world champion again at age 45 or whatever. RJJ will need to have enough left not to stand in front of Tyson and hence not repeat the mistake made against Foreman.
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,988

Post#30 » by Coco Costanza » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:49 am

I went with Mike. When I hear "freak" athlete, I think of someone who is unusually physically different from their pears, someone who is just naturally gifted. i think, at least early on, Mike fit that description.

Here he is at 16(!).

Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#31 » by jlokine » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 am

professional trainers always recommends boxing as a way to train athletes of different sports because the best athletes come out of boxing.

trains endurance, strength, quickness, footwork, reaction time, power, focus, etc.

lebron is more skilled because he can handle a basketball and shoot it proficiently, but if we are strictly talking about athleticism, then mike tyson.
J___Av
Junior

Post#32 » by J___Av » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:55 am

michaelm wrote:
J___Av wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

The last thing that goes is the punch though, as George Foreman demonstrated when he became world champion again at age 45 or whatever. RJJ will need to have enough left not to stand in front of Tyson and hence not repeat the mistake made against Foreman.

Tyson doesn't hit like Foreman. Not even close. RJJ fought as recently as 2 years ago and Tyson hasn't fought in 15 years. I don't like Tyson's chances. Thats too much ring rust
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#33 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:Tyson Gay could replace Fury in this poll

But give me LeBron James.

If you're going for a runner, then Bolt's your man for the poll.
J___Av
Junior

Post#34 » by J___Av » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:08 am

Coco Costanza wrote:I went with Mike. When I hear "freak" athlete, I think of someone who is unusually physically different from their pears, someone who is just naturally gifted. i think, at least early on, Mike fit that description.

Here he is at 16(!).

If you ask NBA fans who is the greatest physical athlete ever, Lebron will be a lot of peoples picks if not most peoples. If you ask boxing fans (although casuals will all pick Tyson or Ali) pretty much everyone will pick RJJ and almost no one will pick Tyson. Tyson was a freak, but Lebron is definitely more athletic
Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Post#35 » by Zerostatic » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:11 am

I’m a Lebron stan and even with that I have to go with Mike Tyson. Time and time again, I saw him go in the ring with chiseled professional boxers and in seconds it was made clear that these guys were not even in the same universe.
rapsdontlie
Pro Prospect
And1: 985

Post#36 » by rapsdontlie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 am

J___Av wrote:

The other old man Tyson is Boxing (RJJ) was by far the physically most gifted fighter ever. Ask on a Boxing form the best athlete ever and most will say Roy Jones Jr

I've watched a lot of RJJ; he's a freak athlete too... But IMO, the sheer power and speed of Tyson's punches were something else.

BTW I'm not saying that, in their primes, Tyson would beat RJJ. Just saying that if we're judging on just punching power and speed, I gotta give it to Iron Mike.
J___Av
Junior

Post#37 » by J___Av » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:23 am

rapsdontlie wrote:
J___Av wrote:

I've watched a lot of RJJ; he's a freak athlete too... But IMO, the sheer power and speed of Tyson's punches were something else.

BTW I'm not saying that, in their primes, Tyson would beat RJJ. Just saying that if we're judging on just punching power and speed, I gotta give it to Iron Mike.

Speed is not even a little bit close. Casuals always fall for the Manny and Tyson training vids where they throw a bunch of short punches to look faster (not saying either is not freakishly fast). RJJ was a much faster boxer. Go ask on any boxing forum and its a blowout. Tyson was really fast, but he wasn't even the fastest HW ever. Ali or Floyd Patterson was
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,988

Post#38 » by Coco Costanza » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:31 am

J___Av wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:I went with Mike. When I hear "freak" athlete, I think of someone who is unusually physically different from their pears, someone who is just naturally gifted. i think, at least early on, Mike fit that description.

Here he is at 16(!).

If you ask NBA fans who is the greatest physical athlete ever, Lebron will be a lot of peoples picks if not most peoples. If you ask boxing fans (although casuals will all pick Tyson or Ali) pretty much everyone will pick RJJ and almost no one will pick Tyson. Tyson was a freak, but Lebron is definitely more athletic

Cool. That wasn't the question though, it was who is the bigger "freak athlete", not greatest physical athlete.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
J___Av
Junior

Post#39 » by J___Av » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 am

Coco Costanza wrote:
J___Av wrote:

Here he is at 16(!).

Cool. That wasn't the question though, it was who is the bigger "freak athlete", not greatest physical athlete.

What the **** is the difference between a freak athlete and a great physical athlete? Either way its clearly Lebron. RJJ or Ali fits your definition better than Tyson.

"someone who is unusually physically different from their pears, someone who is just naturally gifted" is pretty much Lebron to a tee
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#40 » by _Game7_ » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:28 am

Wth is Tyson Furry doing here, dude is built like a soccer mom.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest

Return to The General Board