Post#1 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:25 pm

We have a real game today!
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Seeding Game 1: MEM vs POR 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:13 pm

-We missed Tyus. Ja off the floor was rough, and Ja didn't have a great first half.
-If we could have just made our FTs it wouldn't have mattered
-Those refs were horrible both ways though Memphis probably had fewer terrible calls
-JJJ had a game! Wish he'd have not fouled at the end there but oh well
-We couldn't protect the paint for anything that first half (and honestly our defense in general was bad during the stretch)
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,551

Post#3 » by BarbaGrizz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:05 am

I blame Brooks for this loss. He was abismal at the end of the 4th quarter. We need a reliable SG asap.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:17 am

BarbaGrizz wrote:I blame Brooks for this loss. He was abismal at the end of the 4th quarter. We need a reliable SG asap.

Everyone had things that if they had been better in one play we'd have won. If Melton would have hit one of the 4 FTs he missed we'd have won.

But yeah that's just Brooks. He has stretches where he carries us and other stretches where he kills us. He had both tonight. We definitely need to upgrade him, but that is easier said than done. Maybe we can make something happen in the 2021 draft. Until then strap in because the man is a rollercoaster.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,551

Post#5 » by BarbaGrizz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:50 am

VCfor3 wrote:
BarbaGrizz wrote:I blame Brooks for this loss. He was abismal at the end of the 4th quarter. We need a reliable SG asap.

Everyone had things that if they had been better in one play we'd have won. If Melton would have hit one of the 4 FTs he missed we'd have won.

But yeah that's just Brooks. He has stretches where he carries us and other stretches where he kills us. He had both tonight. We definitely need to upgrade him, but that is easier said than done. Maybe we can make something happen in the 2021 draft. Until then strap in because the man is a rollercoaster.

My feeling is that we just need someone who understand who are the stars in our team. Grayson Allen knows his limitations, I would have closed the game with him instead Brooks
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#6 » by bobobolas10 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:30 am

not sure it is Brooks the one to blame. Id look more to the bench and the rotations. We were up by 10 in the 3rd Q, Tolliver, Josh jackson and Allen shared some time on the floor. That killed our advantage.

Brooks took a few bad decitions but we are used to em, if he scores through that poor shoot selection= he is great, he is out x factor and we love him. If he fails as it happens mostly, we lose. Still, id rather see him on the floor than Grayson Allen.

Besides the 7/22 for Morant, he needs to be our conductor, the floor manage. Everything should be run by him. When Melton, Anderson or brooks have the ball, the plays look sloopy and improvised. A derailed trian. Those guys should only touch the rock to shoot it.
"Take that for Data!"
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#7 » by Hans1984 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:29 pm

Why did Valanciunas get no more playing time after his 5th foul ?I think he was pretty good in the first half.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:02 pm

- Portlands bench was a plus for them due to Memphis not having Tyus. Understandable weak point.
- Brooks hero mode, travelling on a 3 on 1 fast break among other failed attempts down the stretch, shot Memphis out of a win.
- Ja & 3J didn't show up for this game till the 3rd quarter.
- Jonas being Memphis strongest performer early, picked up 3, cheap fouls to foul him out of both halves.
- Refs started handing out techs to cover for knowingly screwing Clarke out of an and 1 attempt & Memphis of 2 points, which would have opened a 8 point lead. Instead, the teach + bucket made it a 1 possession game on one momentum call.

Lot of contributing factors for this loss.

My questions after this loss.

Why does Jenkins never challenge?. there were several missed opportunities in a game that went to OT.

Why no timeout after nabbing the rebound with 3 seconds left in regulation?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:00 pm

Hans1984 wrote:Why did Valanciunas get no more playing time after his 5th foul ?I think he was pretty good in the first half.

I was kinda wondering the same
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:45 am

Also Ja, JJJ, and Clarke combined for 76 points. Good to see our young core putting up solid numbers together.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies