GT: Magic (30-35) vs Nets (30-34) - Friday, 07/31/20, 2:30 PM EST | YES

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,580

Re: GT: Magic (30-35) vs Nets (30-34) - Friday, 07/31/20, 2:30 PM EST | YES 

Post#81 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:21 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I don't even think this team can beat the Wizards.

we played 1 and a half quarters today and the rest has been awful. I hope we fall out of the playoffs.
Wish that was an option.

it might be :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#82 » by MGrand15 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 pm

Yeah this was the obvious result after the 1st. Defense needs to be priority number 1 for JV. Especially if we're scrapping Kenny's zone and switching so often.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#83 » by ProspectPark » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:Garrett Temple has a team option for $5 million next year. I really don’t think he belongs in the NBA, at least not on a championship caliber roster.

I hope Marks is looking for trades. Maybe Avery Bradley? If we decline the option, we lose him for nothing.

Temple is absolutely an NBA player, he will be fine as a 3 and D wing on next year's roster when we have our full assortment of talent. Same with Prince.

we have been asking guys who are roleplayers to do heavy lifting all year with Kyrie and KD out.

Temple plays hard and gives good effort, but he’s not a positive defender. His shooting is below league average even on wide open looks. He doesn’t have a clean handle and can’t make plays. There’s a reason he’s bounced around so much.

For $5 million, we can do a lot better. With the cap going down, and Joe Harris free agency which will put is way over the luxury tax line, the most expected outcome will be the Nets declining the option.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#84 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:Garrett Temple has a team option for $5 million next year. I really don’t think he belongs in the NBA, at least not on a championship caliber roster.

I hope Marks is looking for trades. Maybe Avery Bradley? If we decline the option, we lose him for nothing.

Temple is absolutely an NBA player, he will be fine as a 3 and D wing on next year's roster when we have our full assortment of talent. Same with Prince.

we have been asking guys who are roleplayers to do heavy lifting all year with Kyrie and KD out.

Temple plays hard and gives good effort, but he’s not a positive defender. His shooting is below league average even on wide open looks. He doesn’t have a clean handle and can’t make plays. There’s a reason he’s bounced around so much.

For $5 million, we can do a lot better. With the cap going down, and Joe Harris free agency which will put is way over the luxury tax line, the most expected outcome will be the Nets declining the option.
Temple is a positive defender, has statistically ranked as one of the better wing defenders in the league. Definitely a below average offensive player, but you can't expect much for $5 mill/yr.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#85 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 pm

The lack of proper floor spacing was obvious in the first half. Rodi should’ve been at the four or TLC should’ve just started.

Vaughn needs more accountability for these dumb lineups as well.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,757

Post#86 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:45 pm

So would any of you be angry if the Yanks cut us off?
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#87 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:52 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I don't even think this team can beat the Wizards.

we played 1 and a half quarters today and the rest has been awful. I hope we fall out of the playoffs.
Wish that was an option.

Hollinger thinks Washington will force us to a play-in, and win it. They would have to win at least 2 games and we'd have to go 0-8, but I could see it. I would very much prefer keeping our pick, especially since 1 or 2 regular season wins isn't going to mean much, when the Bucks pound in our teeth.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#88 » by Stone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 pm

16 - 0 run, at least we’re ending this on a decent note
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#89 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 pm

Nets scrubs cut it to 12, and Orlando put the starters back in, lmfao
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#90 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:59 pm

Hope I never see Martin in a Nets uni again. He looks barely like a G league playet
Paradise

Post#91 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:02 pm

DarkXaero wrote:Nets scrubs cut it to 12, and Orlando put the starters back in, lmfao

Lmaooo I missed this. Damn.
Paradise

Post#92 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Hope I never see Martin in a Nets uni again. He looks barely like a G league playet

Caris should win a community assist award for the way he hyped this dude up as the next Patrick Beverley.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#93 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:10 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Serious question, what caliber player do you expect to get for 5 million?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#94 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Wish that was an option.

Hollinger thinks Washington will force us to a play-in, and win it. They would have to win at least 2 games and we'd have to go 0-8, but I could see it. I would very much prefer keeping our pick, especially since 1 or 2 regular season wins isn't going to mean much, when the Bucks pound in our teeth.

I can't see us winning. we have zero defensive resistance. Also, last game of the seeding round is vs the Blazers who are in striking distance of the 8th seed in the west, we will definitely get stomped by them.

Best case scenario: Caris LeVert and Jarrett Allen up their trade value, Nets walk into the 2020 draft with two first round picks.

Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#95 » by Born_Ready » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:16 pm

Kenny would have had this team ready.. I'm kidding, sort of. Sigh.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#96 » by Claud » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:17 pm

I had zero expectations for this bubble Nets to begin with, now much less.

The main thing Vaughn must fix is the rotation and defense.

It was cool to see our bubble 3rd stringers Martin/Musa/TLC/Anderson/Hall forced the Magic starters back on the floor.

The main thing was energy and defense which we lacked for most of the night.

A couple of things that I wish to see next game:

- Chiozza is a decent playmaker but the problem is he's been struggling mightly to shoot the 3 which is his main weapon on offense. I said it before but we are asking too much of him as a player. I feel as of now maybe he should come off the bench until he can gather himself and give others like TJ or Musa a shot. Musa at the very least is 6'9 and plays with energy.

- Rodi as backup C needs to end now. I don't mind it if it's vs. a favorable matchup but we got abused in the paint. The bad defense/rebouding outweights the fact he can stretch the floor as small ball 5. I think it's time for Fro/Hall center rotation going forward. Let Rodi start at PF next to the fro.

- Next game I'd like to see LeVert/Musa/Harris/Rodi/Fro, off the bench: TJ/Temple/TLC/Anderson/Hall.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#97 » by ProspectPark » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

So it’s not just that he makes $5 million. It’s after the luxury tax, his $5 million will end up costing Joe Tsai closer to $10 million. With all the guards and 3’s that we already have (Kyrie, LeVert, Dinwiddie, Harris, Prince, TLC)...how many minutes are we actually expecting Temple to play next season?

Is Joe Tsai going to pay $10 million for a bench player who might be lucky to get 12 minutes per game?
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#98 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 pm

Claud wrote:I had zero expectations for this bubble Nets to begin with, now much less.

The main thing Vaughn must fix is the rotation and defense.

It was cool to see our bubble 3rd stringers Martin/Musa/TLC/Anderson/Hall forced the Magic starters back on the floor.

The main thing was energy and defense which we lacked for most of the night.

A couple of things that I wish to see next game:

- Chiozza is a decent playmaker but the problem is he's been struggling mightly to shoot the 3 which is his main weapon on offense. I said it before but we are asking too much of him as a player. I feel as of now maybe he should come off the bench until he can gather himself and give others like TJ or Musa a shot. Musa at the very least is 6'9 and plays with energy.

- Rodi as backup C needs to end now. I don't mind it if it's vs. a favorable matchup but we got abused in the paint. The bad defense/rebouding outweights the fact he can stretch the floor as small ball 5. I think it's time for Fro/Hall center rotation going forward. Let Rodi start at PF next to the fro.

- Next game I'd like to see LeVert/Musa/Harris/Rodi/Fro, off the bench: TJ/Temple/TLC/Anderson/Hall.
Good points there. I want to see a starting lineup of Chiozza/Levert/Harris/Rodi/Allen with a bench unit of TJ/Crawford/Temple/TLC/Hall, and TJ as the designated 6th man. The options aren't great by any means but we can make that rotation work, and play some respectable ball.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#99 » by Claud » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

So it’s not just that he makes $5 million. It’s after the luxury tax, his $5 million will end up costing Joe Tsai closer to $10 million. With all the guards and 3’s that we already have (Kyrie, LeVert, Dinwiddie, Harris, Prince, TLC)...how many minutes are we actually expecting Temple to play next season?

Is Joe Tsai going to pay $10 million for a bench player who might be lucky to get 12 minutes per game?

Temple's main contribution are leadership and solid not great defense.

He's shooting 32.5% from 3 so it's not like he's lighing it up.

I think you are making a strong point here. We have other guys that can fill his role + they are younger(Temple is going to be 35).

I would not be shocked if the team declined to bring him back.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#100 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:03 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

I expect to see some turnover this offseason. Wouldn't shock me if Temple is gone or is retained once someone gets shipped out tbh.

I see your point though regarding the 10 mil but Tsai came into this knowing that this is a win now situation. He will have to cough up the cash regardless.

Return to Brooklyn Nets