MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
61%
James
25%
Harden
3%
Leonard
0%
Doncic
4%
Jokic
1%
Tatum
1%
Davis
1%
Butler
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
2%

Total votes: 430

kazyv
Junior
And1: 451

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1421 » by kazyv » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:48 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Not a Lebron stan, but anyone who thinks Lebron was only the most valuable player in the league 4x is fooling themselves. And look no further that starting a defense of the indefensible by citing Derrick Rose....

if he was so valuable, how'd he manage to win 4 less game even though the bulls had so many injuries? it's called mvp, not who do you think is the best player in theory. if lebron wanted those mvps, maybe he should have showed up in the regular season
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#1422 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:24 am

kazyv wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Not a Lebron stan, but anyone who thinks Lebron was only the most valuable player in the league 4x is fooling themselves. And look no further that starting a defense of the indefensible by citing Derrick Rose....

if he was so valuable, how'd he manage to win 4 less game even though the bulls had so many injuries? it's called mvp, not who do you think is the best player in theory. if lebron wanted those mvps, maybe he should have showed up in the regular season

Huh? Lebron was the most valuable player in the league without question that year. Would the Heat have traded him for literally any other player including the younger, cheaper Rose? Nope. More valuable. Who played better that season? Lebron. More valuable. A little reminder that those Bulls won based on elite defense. Was Rose a big part of that? Nope. Lebron, more valuable.

And finally if you were going to pick another player in place of Lebron in 10-11, Dwight Howard has a stronger case than Rose. Dirk has a stronger case than Rose. DWade has a stronger case than Rose.

But mainly Lebron was the best, most valuable, whatever semantic you want to choose, player in the league way more than 4 times.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Je K
Rookie
And1: 1,647

Post#1423 » by Je K » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:16 am

Suprasc1 wrote:Giannis almost broke his leg vs the Lakers and LeBron before the season got canceled. He would've been out the rest of the season until the playoffs... Lakers would have had the best record and LeBron dominated Giannis and Kawhi those two games before all this shutdown.

LeBron is the MVP

Lol what? Giannis got a negative MRI the next day and then was a full participant in practice a couple days later. They held him out for two games to be cautious. Maybe he would've missed one or two more. You think he would've been out for six weeks?

Regardless, none of that has any effect on the MVP race now.
"We’re not dysfunctional."
-Alex Lasry
Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Post#1424 » by Suprasc1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:49 am

Je K wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:Giannis almost broke his leg vs the Lakers and LeBron before the season got canceled. He would've been out the rest of the season until the playoffs... Lakers would have had the best record and LeBron dominated Giannis and Kawhi those two games before all this shutdown.

LeBron is the MVP

Lol what? Giannis got a negative MRI the next day and then was a full participant in practice a couple days later. They held him out for two games to be cautious. Maybe he would've missed one or two more. You think he would've been out for six weeks?

He almost snapped his leg
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#1425 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Dirk and Dwight had pretty solid cases over both Rose AND Lebron in 2011 though. I don't think anyone would argue against the notion that Lebron was the best player in basketball over a near decade long stretch (2009-2018), but like previous posters have said, I'd love to hear a rationale that he "deserved" the MVP in any season other than the 4 times he won it. He has next to zero statistical + wins case for being the best regular season player since 2013 or '14. Guys like Jordan and Kareem won so many MVP's because they were legitimately the best regular season players leading Top SRS teams, on top of being the best in the playoffs. It's why I don't ever buy the "voter fatigue" argument with anyone other than those two guys.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Post#1426 » by Packbuckman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Suprasc1 wrote:
Je K wrote:

LeBron is the MVP

Giannis was on the sidelines jumping around the next game ha was fine dude. That’s me thing about Giannis he’s taken some bad falls and landed on ankles before and you think he got really hurt but he gets up and stays in the game. They held him out for only for precautionary reasons he wanted to play. Giannis is easily the MVP!
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,171

Post#1427 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Dirk and Dwight had pretty solid cases over both Rose AND Lebron in 2011 though. I don't think anyone would argue against the notion that Lebron was the best player in basketball over a near decade long stretch (2009-2018), but like previous posters have said, I'd love to hear a rationale that he "deserved" the MVP in any season other than the 4 times he won it. He has next to zero statistical + wins case for being the best regular season player since 2013 or '14. Guys like Jordan and Kareem won so many MVP's because they were legitimately the best regular season players leading Top SRS teams, on top of being the best in the playoffs. It's why I don't ever buy the "voter fatigue" argument with anyone other than those two guys.

I can buy the Dwight argument, but not Dirk. Dirk's '11 RS gets overrated at times due to his legendary PS performance.
Kubbas
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#1428 » by Kubbas » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:13 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:
Je K wrote:Lol what? Giannis got a negative MRI the next day and then was a full participant in practice a couple days later. They held him out for two games to be cautious. Maybe he would've missed one or two more. You think he would've been out for six weeks?

Giannis was on the sidelines jumping around the next game ha was fine dude. That’s me thing about Giannis he’s taken some bad falls and landed on ankles before and you think he got really hurt but he gets up and stays in the game. They held him out for only for precautionary reasons he wanted to play. Giannis is easily the MVP!

just stop it dude

Bud said that he would miss weeks for sure if the nba would continue

look it up, youre just plain wrong
Suprasc1
Senior

Post#1429 » by Suprasc1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:49 pm

Kubbas wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:

just stop it dude

Thank You! He was def going to miss atleast 10 games
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#1430 » by skones » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:28 pm

Kubbas wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:

just stop it dude

Nah, he's not.

When the Bucks announced Sunday that the MRI on the left knee of reigning NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo revealed a minor joint capsule sprain and that he would spend only a short time on the sideline, the basketball world breathed a sigh of relief.

So did Antetokounmpo, who admitted Wednesday afternoon that he was very nervous about what the results of the imaging would show.

"Yeah. I s--- my pants," Antetokounmpo said with a smile after practicing fully with his teammates Wednesday ahead of Milwaukee's game against the Boston Celtics on Thursday night. "When I was on the floor [during Friday's game against the Lakers], I was thinking about, 'This is my knee.'

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28885367/giannis-antetokounmpo-relieved-knee-injury-diagnosed-minor

I'm sure the franchise would let him practice in full and then just hold him out for "weeks." No. Take a seat.
Suprasc1
Senior

Post#1431 » by Suprasc1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 pm

skones wrote:
Kubbas wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:

just stop it dude

Nah, he's not.

When the Bucks announced Sunday that the MRI on the left knee of reigning NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo revealed a minor joint capsule sprain and that he would spend only a short time on the sideline, the basketball world breathed a sigh of relief.

So did Antetokounmpo, who admitted Wednesday afternoon that he was very nervous about what the results of the imaging would show.

"Yeah. I s--- my pants," Antetokounmpo said with a smile after practicing fully with his teammates Wednesday ahead of Milwaukee's game against the Boston Celtics on Thursday night. "When I was on the floor [during Friday's game against the Lakers], I was thinking about, 'This is my knee.'

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28885367/giannis-antetokounmpo-relieved-knee-injury-diagnosed-minor

I'm sure the franchise would let him practice in full and then just hold him out for "weeks." No. Take a seat.

You're wrong sorry, they were talking "short" meaning not out of the playoffs.

Practicing and playing 100% the last 1/4 of the season is a huge difference, especially when the bucks already guaranteed a playoff spot.

Giannis even though he destroyed his knee, that just shows how scary and how much they would've played it safe to have him healthy for the playoffs.

Go to sleep, it's past your bedtime
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#1432 » by skones » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 pm

Suprasc1 wrote:

Practicing and playing 100% the last 1/4 of the season is a huge difference, especially when the bucks already guaranteed a playoff spot.

Giannis even though he destroyed his knee, that just shows how scary and how much they would've played it safe to have him healthy for the playoffs.

Lol, even when shown ACTUAL evidence, you'll sit there and deny it. It's called ignorance. "Destroyed his knee." LOL, you just make things up time and time again in these threads, it's comical. That's not what happened. They weren't playing for "a playoff spot." They were playing for HCA.

I'm sure you know more than me here. After all, you live in Milwaukee. You know people in the organization. You were told things by people you trust while all of this was happening in real time.

Suprasc1
Senior

Post#1433 » by Suprasc1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:19 pm

skones wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:

Lol, even when shown ACTUAL evidence, you'll sit there and deny it. It's called ignorance. "Destroyed his knee." LOL, you just make things up time and time again in these threads, it's comical. That's not what happened. They weren't playing for "a playoff spot." They were playing for HCA.

I'm sure you know more than me here. After all, you live in Milwaukee. You know people in the organization. You were told things by people you trust while all of this was happening in real time.

LeBron is the MVP :)

Giannis can't even beat Kawhi
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,020

Post#1434 » by Magic Giannison » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:26 am

Lebron being MVP over Giannis is the biggest joke in basketball history.
All The Bucks
Junior
And1: 1,265

Post#1435 » by All The Bucks » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:39 am

Read on Twitter
"Your values is in disarray, prioritizin' horribly. Unhappy with the riches 'cause you're piss poor morally" - Abraham Lincoln
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Post#1436 » by Profound23 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:46 am

Suprasc1 wrote:
Je K wrote:

LeBron is the MVP

As wrong as your statements are, even if they were correct it proves Giannis is the MVP. Your main argument is Giannis would have been hurt and missed the rest of the season? LMAO!
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,482

Post#1437 » by Jazz9 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:46 am

Magic Giannison wrote:Lebron being MVP over Giannis is the biggest joke in basketball history.

That's not gonna happen so no worries there.
Suprasc1
Senior

Post#1438 » by Suprasc1 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:20 am

Profound23 wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:
Je K wrote:Lol what? Giannis got a negative MRI the next day and then was a full participant in practice a couple days later. They held him out for two games to be cautious. Maybe he would've missed one or two more. You think he would've been out for six weeks?

As wrong as your statements are, even if they were correct it proves Giannis is the MVP. Your main argument is Giannis would have been hurt and missed the rest of the season? LMAO!

My opinion is that LeBron is having a equally good season and if Giannis got injured. The lakers would've got the best record in the league and LeBron would've been on a roll stat wise and win wise. He still is the mvp in my opinion.

Current bucks remind me of a really good 2007 cavs with the twin bros and enough role players to keep winning. It also makes Giannis stats slightly better since he's not sharing the ball with a real superstar or star
VegasKuehl
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#1439 » by VegasKuehl » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:42 am

Suprasc1 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:

My opinion is that LeBron is having a equally good season and if Giannis got injured. The lakers would've got the best record in the league and LeBron would've been on a roll stat wise and win wise. He still is the mvp in my opinion.

Current bucks remind me of a really good 2007 cavs with the twin bros and enough role players to keep winning. It also makes Giannis stats slightly better since he's not sharing the ball with a real superstar or star

Don't you mean Giannis stats take a slight dip since he's on a stud team top to bottom and LeBrons stats are inflated because he has AD and a couple of corpses?
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,956

Post#1440 » by mediocrityrules » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:30 am

Suprasc1 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:

So you're saying that if Giannis wasn't playing, Lakers would have the best record, and because of this LBJ should get the MVP?? I hate to break it to you but Giannis is playing, has the team with the best record, and is having one of the best all time seasons, better than last year when he was MVP.

Not sure the point you're trying to go with here?
Circling calendars since 2021

Return to The General Board