OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1821 » by hege53190 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:21 pm

Stannis wrote:
But, I'm thinking about starting new positions in some financials. I'm mainly looking into CME Group, JP Morgan, Discover Financials, maybe Ally. It seems like this is the only sector that hasn't recovered yet.

I am a conservative investor and financials always seem so cheap. Right now I like STOR. They are a Warren Buffet Pick. They are a real estate investment firm. They purchase store fronts and rent them out. They have mostly long term leases so their income stream is good. At $24 they pay a 6% dividend and have OK run in them. I think they could get back to $35-$37 in the next year or two. You are not going to get rich off of it. However if you are looking for a solid stock that is a little undervalued and could make you a little money in the next year or two, they are a solid pick.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#1822 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:16 am

hege53190 wrote:
Stannis wrote:
But, I'm thinking about starting new positions in some financials. I'm mainly looking into CME Group, JP Morgan, Discover Financials, maybe Ally. It seems like this is the only sector that hasn't recovered yet.

I am a conservative investor and financials always seem so cheap. Right now I like STOR. They are a Warren Buffet Pick. They are a real estate investment firm. They purchase store fronts and rent them out. They have mostly long term leases so their income stream is good. At $24 they pay a 6% dividend and have OK run in them. I think they could get back to $35-$37 in the next year or two. You are not going to get rich off of it. However if you are looking for a solid stock that is a little undervalued and could make you a little money in the next year or two, they are a solid pick.
Financials are going to get crushed as defaults skyrocket. There isnt a prognostication out there that doesn't believe loan defaults aren't going to be an issue in coming years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Superfito
Senior
And1: 82

Post#1823 » by Superfito » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
hege53190 wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Financials are going to get crushed as defaults skyrocket. There isnt a prognostication out there that doesn't believe loan defaults aren't going to be an issue in coming years.

I'm no pro but I wouldn't touch any company that's reliant on commercial real estate over the next few years.
hege53190
Head Coach

Post#1824 » by hege53190 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

Superfito wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
hege53190 wrote:

I'm no pro but I wouldn't touch any company that's reliant on commercial real estate over the next few years.

I don't know I am more prone to buying companies that are at a deep discount. Both of these stocks have your guys opinions built into them. Discover financial and Synchrony Financial were $80 and $40 before the pandemic. I bought Discover at $30 and now it is hovering around $50. I bought into Synchrony at $15 and now it is hovering around $23.

Before the pandemic STOR was hovering around $40. They dropped to $15. I bought in at $20 a little while ago and it is now at $23.5. IT pays a 1.5% quarterly dividend which it just signed off on and distributed. The dividend has increased by 6% year over year since its inception 6 years ago. They own the store fronts in big cities which they lease to companies. The leases are long term and if a company goes under they still own the valuable real estate which they can lease to another company. It is kind of like getting rich off selling the equipment to gold miners instead of being the gold miner.

These biases that the general public have are really built into the price but if you actually look at the company it has really solid financial footing and kind of a money maker.

Also I am not saying anybody should be taking large positions (3+% of portfolio) in any of these companies. However I think you should have some of your portfolio in discounted stocks. Because if you buy at the right time you can make quite a bit of money on them. I expect STOR to get to around $35 again in the next couple of years. I think Discover and Synchrony have a little run in them yet and plan to hold them for the year.

I also like BMO Harris as a Buy and a long term hold in the financial sector.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#1825 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 pm

hege53190 wrote:
Superfito wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:Financials are going to get crushed as defaults skyrocket. There isnt a prognostication out there that doesn't believe loan defaults aren't going to be an issue in coming years.

I don't know I am more prone to buying companies that are at a deep discount. Both of these stocks have your guys opinions built into them. Discover financial and Synchrony Financial were $80 and $40 before the pandemic. I bought Discover at $30 and now it is hovering around $50. I bought into Synchrony at $15 and now it is hovering around $23.

Before the pandemic STOR was hovering around $40. They dropped to $15. I bought in at $20 a little while ago and it is now at $23.5. IT pays a 1.5% quarterly dividend which it just signed off on and distributed. The dividend has increased by 6% year over year since its inception 6 years ago. They own the store fronts in big cities which they lease to companies. The leases are long term and if a company goes under they still own the valuable real estate which they can lease to another company. It is kind of like getting rich off selling the equipment to gold miners instead of being the gold miner.

These biases that the general public have are really built into the price but if you actually look at the company it has really solid financial footing and kind of a money maker.

Also I am not saying anybody should be taking large positions (3+% of portfolio) in any of these companies. However I think you should have some of your portfolio in discounted stocks. Because if you buy at the right time you can make quite a bit of money on them. I expect STOR to get to around $35 again in the next couple of years. I think Discover and Synchrony have a little run in them yet and plan to hold them for the year.

The FIRST default is the unsecured loan/line. You pay your mtg/rent, then auto, then CCs. We are already seeing defaults spike and with UE over 11% and CARES ending today running into that market because the stock price is lower.

That they made money during the biggest economic expansion ever is immaterial.

fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
hege53190
Head Coach

Post#1826 » by hege53190 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:45 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
hege53190 wrote:
Superfito wrote:

The FIRST default is the unsecured loan/line. You pay your mtg/rent, then auto, then CCs. We are already seeing defaults spike and with UE over 11% and CARES ending today running into that market because the stock price is lower.

That they made money during the biggest economic expansion ever is immaterial.

They didn't JUST make money. They doubled in price. I didn't even buy in at the low point. They already had 50% gains before I bought in. Your concerns are noted in the stock price.

Hey we have different investing strategies. Out of favor stocks are just a small part of mine. And I am making pretty good money off of them. Good luck on yours.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,951

Post#1827 » by Stannis » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:19 am

DFS usually loans to the poorly graded. I backed off from them. I see Store dropping big time if we get corrected again. I feel more comfortable investing in data center and tower REITs. I also got HASI for my value play REIT.

I still wanted some discounted stocks, so I decided to go with Bank of America. They are making some underrated moves in the tech field, imo. But I do fully expect them to tumble if we have a crash.
Free Palestine
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Post#1828 » by MissKhriddleton » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:39 am

Can someone explain puts/options and how people on reddit go from $10,000 ---> $500,000 ---> $0 in a short amount of time?
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 682

Post#1829 » by ejn1214 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:11 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Can someone explain puts/options and how people on reddit go from $10,000 ---> $500,000 ---> $0 in a short amount of time?

I am not qualified enough to answer this for you, but please be careful with options. I was bored during the pandemic with no sports and messed around a bit. Almost gave myself a heart attack thinking I had an option with unlimited loss potential and stopped. A bunch of those guys on reddit made a ton of money on risky tesla calls or similar trades. I know you can hedge and make good money if you are well versed with options, but I think about 99% of that wallstreetbets subreddit do not do anything smart.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 682

Post#1830 » by ejn1214 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:11 am

ejn1214 wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:Can someone explain puts/options and how people on reddit go from $10,000 ---> $500,000 ---> $0 in a short amount of time?

I am not qualified enough to answer this for you, but please be careful with options. I was bored during the pandemic with no sports and messed around a bit. Almost gave myself a heart attack thinking I had an option with unlimited loss potential and stopped. A bunch of those guys on reddit made a ton of money on risky tesla calls or similar trades. I know you can hedge and make good money if you are well versed with options, but I think about 99% of that wallstreetbets subreddit do not do anything smart. And my random stock I like right now is WAITR.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#1831 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:44 pm

My guess is most people on reddit go from $100 ---> $500 ---> $0
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1832 » by vital_signs » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm not well versed enough to explain but I had watched some youtube videos previously that gave me a general sense of the idea. I then lost 75% of what I had invested, thank god I don't throw much in, and swore them off :lol:. The profits are intriguing but they are out of my league.

Edit - I just know 1 contract = 100 shares so every .01 above, or below on a put, the breakeven nets a dollar in profit. The process of selling the option/expiring I dont understand.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
Erifee
Senior
And1: 305

Post#1833 » by Erifee » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:21 pm

This is responsible for a lot of those stories.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:His Suns about 5 or 6 years ago came close to getting to the Finals who got ripped off in that one playoff series when he was thrown across a table by Robert Horry who you might also consider an excellent core piece.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,402

Post#1834 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:07 pm

Yeah well don't put much into random internet guys, reddit or here, claiming big options or stock wins. 8-)
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1835 » by vital_signs » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:12 pm

Been holding onto MPC and thought today was going to be my payoff as 7/11 is buying their Speedway gas stations for 21B. Wtf do i know? Apparently not much cause that sucker aint moving post pre-market.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 989

Post#1836 » by Ryan5UW » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:01 pm

Stannis wrote:DFS usually loans to the poorly graded. I backed off from them. I see Store dropping big time if we get corrected again. I feel more comfortable investing in data center and tower REITs. I also got HASI for my value play REIT.

I still wanted some discounted stocks, so I decided to go with Bank of America. They are making some underrated moves in the tech field, imo. But I do fully expect them to tumble if we have a crash.

That's the route I went too, with a little bit of healthcare/retirement community stuff mixed in.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,161

Post#1837 » by JEIS » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:16 pm

Pretty good chance Benzo buys out JC Penney's in the near future. He just pulled out $3 billion worth of his Amazon stock... The other bidder offered 1.75 billion. Could be a nice play.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1838 » by jschligs » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:29 pm

Options are gambling, simple as that. 99% of reddit guys lose at it and then run away from their account. Those posting big gains are the 1%ers.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#1839 » by Nowak008 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:35 pm

JEIS wrote:Pretty good chance Benzo buys out JC Penney's in the near future. He just pulled out $3 billion worth of his Amazon stock... The other bidder offered 1.75 billion. Could be a nice play.

Good suggestion - I'll roll the dice with you.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
hege53190
Head Coach

Post#1840 » by hege53190 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 2:32 am

Nowak008 wrote:
JEIS wrote:Pretty good chance Benzo buys out JC Penney's in the near future. He just pulled out $3 billion worth of his Amazon stock... The other bidder offered 1.75 billion. Could be a nice play.

Good suggestion - I'll roll the dice with you.

I am always in for a bargain. However JC Penny has $2.2 Billion in lender debt. The offers in Bankruptcy court were like $1.8 Billion. Out of the $3Billion that Benzo withdrew I would assume that a significant portion is going to taxes (like 20-25%). JC Penney has 320 million shares of common stock outstanding.

I am just not sure how you make money off of this. I am asking because I am curious.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks