Best Player For RJ Barrett and 6th Overall

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Re: Best Player For RJ Barrett and 6th Overall 

Post#81 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 pm

Crizzle wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
If the Memphis management sees Barret as SF and Okongwu as an elite big, it can decide to offer Jaren Jackson Jr.

Jackson doesn't have enough control left to sacrifice a lotto pick and a recent lotto pick.

lol whut?

He's got only 2 years left on his deal when this season is over. Barrett still has 3 left. The guy we get at #6 would have 4 left. Why sacrifice 2 young, cheap and talented young players we'd have up to twice as much control over for one guy.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,539

Post#82 » by Alatan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:14 pm

Last time i checked Barrett was a bust. What made him have trade value?
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Post#83 » by jredsaz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:49 pm

Buzzard wrote:
NYG wrote:
Catchall wrote:It's probably too early to trade Barrett. It's not clear what kind of player he'll be. Rookies usually take strides by their 3rd season. People were questioning Tatum his first two seasons. Barrett could be pretty special if he keeps developing.

What about the 6th Overall Pick on its own?

6th Overall = Which Veteran? Keep in mind salary matching isn’t necessary

I am not sure #6 gets you any kind of really good vet still in his prime. Maybe Houston cutting cost with Covington and Gordon but neither are in their prime.
What about Zach Lavine?

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#84 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:51 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Gobert if Utah is willing to deal him

I'd feel bad for rudy.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#85 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 pm

Alatan wrote:Last time i checked Barrett was a bust. What made him have trade value?

Wow labeling Barrett a bust at 20 yrs old with only a truncated season to show for his efforts seems harsh.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#86 » by Alatan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:29 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Alatan wrote:Last time i checked Barrett was a bust. What made him have trade value?

Wow labeling Barrett a bust at 20 yrs old with only a truncated season to show for his efforts seems harsh.

Doesnt change the fact that he sucks at basketball. Average size for his position. Cant shoot. Loose handles, average to below average awareness, average athleticism, bad defense. Whats good about him?
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,227

Post#87 » by PistolPeteJR » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:56 am

Buzzard wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:This is a tough valuation if only because I strongly believe most people here aren't too familiar with Barrett and are not even sure what to expect of him.

I personally think this kid will become a quality starter at the very, very least, and on both ends. He's got the physical tools, smarts, and is very coachable, not to mention a hard worker.

I also think he needs a proper coaching and development team around him in NY in order to really thrive, which I don't believe he has at the moment.

I was bashed pretty hard after the draft for stating Hunter and Reddish could end up being better than RJ. Could is a key word, as I never said they were locks for that. My reasoning was simple. Both Hunter and Reddish shot better in college from three and the charity stripe than Barrett.

My concern about Barrett not being able to shoot has not changed during his rookie season. I like Barrett's physical tools but he needs to spend a full off season doing nothing but shooting free throws and threes.

Agreed. I really hope NY takes care of him or he gets out quick.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#88 » by E S V L » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:38 am

Alatan wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Doesnt change the fact that he sucks at basketball. Average size for his position. Cant shoot. Loose handles, average to below average awareness, average athleticism, bad defense. Whats good about him?

Average size and athleticism?
FK NFL
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:38 am

E S V L wrote:
Alatan wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Average size and athleticism?

Don't feed the trolls.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#90 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:57 pm

Alatan wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

This is what happens when you draft a guy who is 19 and only had one year in the College game. He comes in over hyped into the city of Hype and expected to be some kind of 2nd coming of Alan Houston or something! Give the guy some time to learn.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by Alatan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:29 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

This is what happens when you draft a guy who is 19 and only had one year in the College game. He comes in over hyped into the city of Hype and expected to be some kind of 2nd coming of Alan Houston or something! Give the guy some time to learn.

That is the point. He is not good enough to be one of the top picks. Sure he could eventually eventually become a rotation player but thats now what you are looking for with a top pick.
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#92 » by Crizzle » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:57 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Jackson doesn't have enough control left to sacrifice a lotto pick and a recent lotto pick.

lol whut?

He's got only 2 years left on his deal when this season is over. Barrett still has 3 left. The guy we get at #6 would have 4 left. Why sacrifice 2 young, cheap and talented young players we'd have up to twice as much control over for one guy.

Do you understand what restricted free agency is? Years don't mean much when you are the better ball player.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:45 pm

Crizzle wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:

lol whut?

Do you understand what restricted free agency is? Years don't mean much when you are the better ball player.

Who cares? That means we have less time to figure out if his rebounding numbers are lower than Barretts because he sucks as a rebounder or because he's got good rebounders around him.

I would rather have Barrett and the 3 years he has before he hits restricted free agency and the #6 pick's 4 years he has before he hits restricted free agency than Jackson's 2 years.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#94 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:09 am

Alatan wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

That is the point. He is not good enough to be one of the top picks. Sure he could eventually eventually become a rotation player but thats now what you are looking for with a top pick.

I've seen youngsters that started out slow become good, but if your expectation was overly optimistic you may be disappointed.
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#95 » by Guzman_9 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:00 am

Oladipo.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by Alatan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:28 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I've seen youngsters that started out slow become good, but if your expectation was overly optimistic you may be disappointed.

I had no expectations from Barrett. Looked bad back in the draft, looks bad now in the NBA. Thought that it was obvious by now that he is no good.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,011

Post#97 » by R-DAWG » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:44 pm

NYG wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
gswhoops wrote:I feel like the answer here is "not a good enough one to make it worth it"

Maybe this package gets you Beal? Feels a little light for him though.

This is the correct answer. Even if you trade this package for Bradley Beal, what does that do for the team? Put you in play for the 8th seed? Then, your 2 years away from being forced to max out Beal through his age 34 season, with limited paths to getting better.

The one player that I would go all-in for if he became available would be Karl Anthony Towns.

What about just 6th Overall? Who is the most Thibodeau vet you can get for that pick?

Who would be available for that pick, and does he fit the timeline of Barrett and Robinson (vs the alternative of adding a developing another young player who will hopefully be more valuable to the organization that a draft pick). You are probably talking about a Aaron Gordon or Buddy Heild level player. Not sure it moves the needle.

The type of move I would hold out for is, say, Mitchell Robinson, #6 overall, and 2021 FRP unprotected for Karl Anthony Towns.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#98 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:58 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
NYG wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
This is the correct answer. Even if you trade this package for Bradley Beal, what does that do for the team? Put you in play for the 8th seed? Then, your 2 years away from being forced to max out Beal through his age 34 season, with limited paths to getting better.

The one player that I would go all-in for if he became available would be Karl Anthony Towns.

What about just 6th Overall? Who is the most Thibodeau vet you can get for that pick?

Who would be available for that pick, and does he fit the timeline of Barrett and Robinson (vs the alternative of adding a developing another young player who will hopefully be more valuable to the organization that a draft pick). You are probably talking about a Aaron Gordon or Buddy Heild level player. Not sure it moves the needle.

The type of move I would hold out for is, say, Mitchell Robinson, #6 overall, and 2021 FRP unprotected for Karl Anthony Towns.

I don’t think that offers gets cat let alone KAT.
Chuck-Cheese
Senior
And1: 230

Post#99 » by Chuck-Cheese » Tue Aug 4, 2020 4:36 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
NYG wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

Pretty sure that offer is not greeting you KAT
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#100 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:41 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Gobert if Utah is willing to deal him

Gross. I don’t think that is even close for Jazz to consider. Barrett would be ugly with Mitchell and we all know #6 is not a premium draft slot in a premium draft.

Jazz can get better elsewhere.

If the Jazz think this team isn’t going to be a title contending team, and you are up against having to pay Gobert a super-max contract, which would be franchise killing...why would you not consider it?

You let Quin get ahold of a talented wing while he is still super young and while this may not be the best draft, it may be a draft where you land a better player at 5 than a team ahead of you takes at 2 or even 1. Such little difference between the top 6 or 7 players.

I think the Jazz have to take a good long look at it.

Return to Trades and Transactions