Bubble game 1: They're back Portland vs Memphis

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Re: Bubble game 1: They're back Portland vs Memphis 

Post#81 » by Sinobas » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 pm

monopoman wrote:
blazersfan52 wrote:Why techs for yelling now? Let them show some emotion like that. Even though it helps the Blazers

I think the refs are in uncharted ground here, normally a player yelling gets drowned out by a crowd but with no actual fans it's an entirely new ballgame in that realm.

I have seen some blatant profanity uttered by players loudly but the fans are yelling and it goes unnoticed by the ref before Covid.

It's like they called one, then felt like they had to call everything after that to stay consistent. CJ and Trent weren't even looking at a Grizzly when they did it.
blazersfan52
Senior
And1: 224

Post#82 » by blazersfan52 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 pm

monopoman wrote:
blazersfan52 wrote:Why techs for yelling now? Let them show some emotion like that. Even though it helps the Blazers

I think the refs are in uncharted ground here, normally a player yelling gets drowned out by a crowd but with no actual fans it's an entirely new ballgame in that realm.

I have seen some blatant profanity uttered by players loudly but the fans are yelling and it goes unnoticed by the ref before Covid.

That is true, and you need to keep it family friendly I suppose. Just annoying both ways to see techs called for what used to be okay like that. I'm sure they'll find a balance, just puts a weird flow into the game
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#83 » by Sinobas » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 pm

Matt800 wrote:Just off the stats sheet, that took a lot to beat Memphis. 53.8% shooting, 43.3% from 3, better ft%, more rebounds, more assists, more steals, more blocks. But Memphis had 16 more free throw attempts.

That's why it took a lot.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#84 » by dunlop212 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:24 pm

A couple of quick notes from the box score.
Tight rotation, lots of DNPs.
45 Minutes for Lillard; if he's got foot problems that won't help.
Three blazers with positive +/-; Herzonja (+5), Collins (+11), Trent (+20!).

Coming into the season I was all in on Simons and had Trent as a selfish bricklayer. Shows what I know.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#85 » by Matt800 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:30 pm

Sinobas wrote:
Matt800 wrote:I wonder how Whiteside will feel about having played 18 minutes.

I was wondering why he wasn't used more with the foul trouble. It's not like Zach Collins was playing that well.

I'm wondering if he's in Portland's long term plans. The contracts of CJ and Dame are going to really hamper their ability to get depth, and Gary Trent JR is playing himself into a decent contract.

I'm not sure, I didn't see all of the game, but I thought Collins looked pretty good when I was watching. Gary Trent is definitely looking good. Portland really needed him in this game.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#86 » by monopoman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 pm

dunlop212 wrote:A couple of quick notes from the box score.

Coming into the season I was all in on Simons and had Trent as a selfish bricklayer. Shows what I know.

Not surprised to see this Stotts talked about this being a must win game and "playoff level" basketball. I imagine most players on the team will barely see the court or get DNP's since this team is in nearly must win mode for the rest of the 7 games. Maybe if they have a lot of trouble in the next 2-3 games it might change it if we can't make the playoffs anymore but as long as we have a statistical chance Lillard will want to go for it.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#87 » by Sinobas » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:33 pm

Matt800 wrote:
Sinobas wrote:

I was wondering why he wasn't used more with the foul trouble. It's not like Zach Collins was playing that well.

I'm wondering if he's in Portland's long term plans. The contracts of CJ and Dame are going to really hamper their ability to get depth, and Gary Trent JR is playing himself into a decent contract.

I'm not sure, I didn't see all of the game, but I thought Collins looked pretty good when I was watching. Gary Trent is definitely looking good. Portland really needed him in this game.

He's fine defensively, but he missed a few close shots. He's always had this issue, but I had hoped he'd have gotten stronger. In one case he had a clear path to the hoop and "Meyers Leonarded it".
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#88 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 pm

Nurk's grandma has the Covid and is in a coma. Pray for her.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Matt800
Rookie

Post#89 » by Matt800 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:37 pm

Sinobas wrote:
Matt800 wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I was wondering why he wasn't used more with the foul trouble. It's not like Zach Collins was playing that well.

He's fine defensively, but he missed a few close shots. He's always had this issue, but I had hoped he'd have gotten stronger. In one case he had a clear path to the hoop and "Meyers Leonarded it".

Oh I didn't see that. I saw one where he did some impressive post footwork for a make past a few defenders. I guess we'll see which result is more common over the next few games.
Matt800
Rookie

Post#90 » by Matt800 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 pm

monopoman wrote:
dunlop212 wrote:A couple of quick notes from the box score.

Not surprised to see this Stotts talked about this being a must win game and "playoff level" basketball. I imagine most players on the team will barely see the court or get DNP's since this team is in nearly must win mode for the rest of the 7 games. Maybe if they have a lot of trouble in the next 2-3 games it might change it if we can't make the playoffs anymore but as long as we have a statistical chance Lillard will want to go for it.

Hopefully Portland can get some blowout wins where their guys getting a lot of minutes can rest. It's hard to imagine 45+ mpg being sustainable for CJ and Lillard, and then having any hope of competing in the playoffs. Unless there is a decent amount of rest time before the playoffs. (I don't know the scheduling).
monopoman
RealGM

Post#91 » by monopoman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:47 pm

I think if we had access to Hood we would see a bit less minutes for CJ and Lillard he would be another guard Stotts could rely on.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#92 » by zzaj » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:47 pm

Forgot to mention in my earlier post...
I actually listened to the Blazer broadcast today...

I can say unequivocally, that I like Jordan Kent about 1000x more than I liked Colabro as a play by play guy. I think the chemistry with Hurd is much less awkward as well...
monopoman
RealGM

Post#93 » by monopoman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:56 pm

zzaj wrote:Forgot to mention in my earlier post...
I actually listened to the Blazer broadcast today...

I can say unequivocally, that I like Jordan Kent about 1000x more than I liked Colabro as a play by play guy. I think the chemistry with Hurd is much less awkward as well...

I think it's probably helped by the fact that they are both closer in age, it felt like Hurd and Colabro had too much of an age gap.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#94 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:01 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Nurk's grandma has the Covid and is in a coma. Pray for her.

hes beyond strong when it comes to his mental strength

its all in the head, people react differently
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#95 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:18 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Nurk's grandma has the Covid and is in a coma. Pray for her.

Is he still dating the Bosnian hottie? I haven't seen the t-shirt in quite a while.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#96 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:23 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Dzon Dilindzer wrote:

Is he still dating the Bosnian hottie? I haven't seen the t-shirt in quite a while.

yup
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#97 » by d-train » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:40 am

He didn't play well. I'm more worried that if he doesn't play better, we will lose.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#98 » by Shem » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:50 am

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#99 » by Pattycakes » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:45 am

Very redeeming moment for a lot of reasons, Whiteside and the refs were taking Ls all over the place today, but a win is a win, and holy moly did Melo and Nurk come to play in this bubble. Let’s go!!
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#100 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:05 am

Victory GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan

Return to Portland Trail Blazers