ImageImageImageImage

WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,739

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#341 » by ChosenSavior » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:50 am

In case y'all haven't seen it yet, Becky Hammon and Pop stood up during the anthem as well.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,518

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#342 » by SOUL » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:53 am

ChosenSavior wrote:In case y'all haven't seen it yet, Becky Hammon and Pop stood up during the anthem as well.

That's why it shouldn't exactly be a political message for either side. We all know where Pop stands politically.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,287

Post#343 » by Knightro » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:00 am

It's very plausible that Jonathan Isaac, as devoutly religious as he and his family appear to be, was raised very conservative.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#344 » by Ducklett » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:09 am

Knightro wrote:It's very plausible that Jonathan Isaac, as devoutly religious as he and his family appear to be, was raised very conservative.

A lot of Christians are taught not to kneel to/for anyone but God/Jesus. I have a feeling this was part of his reason not to.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#345 » by Max Power » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:16 am

I’m glad to see the Magic get the win. Obviously Vuc and Evan are ready to go and I’m hoping we can hold on to the 7th spot and avoid the Bucks in round 1. Playing the Raptors again is a bummer but who else better to gauge the teams progress from last year.

As for Jonathan Issac, he played great and I hope he continues to get better. He’s the future of this team.

As for his standing during the anthem. I haven’t seen his reasonings for not doing it yet, but I’m sure they’re valid. I think we as society have to get beyond that only kneeling shows support for the African American community. Support can be shown a million different ways. Just because someone doesn’t kneel doesn’t mean they’re a racist or are against equality for all people.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#346 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:17 am

The Twitter-verse is getting pretty ugly — but I guess that just like any other day ...

But Isaac is also earning a lot of fans for this.

Very polarizing topic.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,076

Post#347 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:19 am

FFBlitzace wrote:First of all, hello to everyone again. I've always said that I would die as a RealGM poster and Magic watcher, and that never stopped being true despite my absence during pseudo offseason

Welcome back man! I agree with a lot of this as someone who lives in the middle and doesn’t have a home anymore the kneeling doesn’t bother me but I also know it doesn’t do a damn thing. This intense tribalism will eventually destroy us and it’s the same playbook on both sides. That reporter imo made a disgusting follow up question about his faith. Not to mention the NBA as a whole I think they will need to deal with the credibility issue of criticizing our society extremely while not saying a thing about China. I just hope people will respect each other and their opinions and life experience but am not hopeful. Jared Dudley was already throwing shade at Issac.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#348 » by FFBlitzace » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:21 am

It's possible he's liberal since he's young and spent a year at a university, which would have been a predominantly liberal atmosphere. It's possible he's conservative because of his religion. It's possible that he isn't politically minded at all because young people typically haven't been until recently. I'm not politically minded at 32, and the only reason I even have knowledge of the sticking points to have my own opinions on them is because it's nearly impossible to avoid it now. Point being, I don't think it matters. Isaac has been a class act and a good guy (from what we can see) since day 1. I hope he isn't affected by whatever fallout or commentary results from this. Realistically, it probably blows over very quickly. There's always something new happening every day for the social media mob to talk about.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 736

Post#349 » by CZ Eddie » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:23 am

Thank you, Jonathan Isaac.
Keep your politics out of my sports
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#350 » by fendilim » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:28 am

Really love what Isaac did. <3
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#351 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:28 am

Happy we won. Ecstatic JI stood for what he believes in. Super proud rigjt now. Hell yeah. #NEVERkneel
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#352 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:31 am

Max Power wrote:I’m glad to see the Magic get the win. Obviously Vuc and Evan are ready to go and I’m hoping we can hold on to the 7th spot and avoid the Bucks in round 1. Playing the Raptors again is a bummer but who else better to gauge the teams progress from last year.

As for Jonathan Issac, he played great and I hope he continues to get better. He’s the future of this team.

As for his standing during the anthem. I haven’t seen his reasonings for not doing it yet, but I’m sure they’re valid. I think we as society have to get beyond that only kneeling shows support for the African American community. Support can be shown a million different ways. Just because someone doesn’t kneel doesn’t mean they’re a racist or are against equality for all people.

His reason Couldve been "because" and it would be valid. Hes owes ZERO people an explanation.
#2A
#Adopt
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,371

Post#353 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:33 am

Though I fully appreciate him standing up for what he believes in, it is a bit unfortunate that this is how Isaac will be brought to the attention of many mainstream fans and media personalities for the first time. As someone in the midst of breaking out and a potential DPOY/All star-caliber player in the near future, it's too bad that his play didn't have the chance to garner him the same attention that this has.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#354 » by Max Power » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:39 am

quote="Blue_and_Whte"]
Max Power wrote:I’m glad to see the Magic get the win. Obviously Vuc and Evan are ready to go and I’m hoping we can hold on to the 7th spot and avoid the Bucks in round 1. Playing the Raptors again is a bummer but who else better to gauge the teams progress from last year.

His reason Couldve been "because" and it would be valid. Hes owes ZERO people an explanation.[/quote]

Blue and White, of course it is. I don’t disagree with that. Poor choice of phrasing on my part.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#355 » by Fo-Real » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:46 am

PrimeThyme wrote:Though I fully appreciate him standing up for what he believes in, it is a bit unfortunate that this is how Isaac will be brought to the attention of many mainstream fans and media personalities for the first time. As someone in the midst of breaking out and a potential DPOY/All star-caliber player in the near future, it's too bad that his play didn't have the chance to garner him the same attention that this has.

Outsiders opinion here (not a Magic fan), but I specifically came to your board to say I respect the hell out of what Issac did. As a black man, I hate these bully techniques that are being used to demand specific actions. I love the fact that he was raised right and is HIS OWN MAN enough not to care what social media idiots and all the WOKE folks say, they can't define the man he is or take one bit away!! I have always been against ultimatums, so when you tell me that standing for my national anthem as a proud black American means I'm a sellout, you lose something to me, I should be able to be proud of each!!
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#356 » by shadrock » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:47 am

The last two pages of posts have been the most mature and civilised posts ive seen on this forum in years. Im impressed. Keep it up guys. Go Magic. Nice win tonight. Feels good to be back.
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#357 » by jayrehme » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:01 am

Isaac proving he's the leader this team needs! :clap:
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#358 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:03 am

Max Power wrote:quote="Blue_and_Whte"]

His reason Couldve been "because" and it would be valid. Hes owes ZERO people an explanation.

Blue and White, of course it is. I don’t disagree with that. Poor choice of phrasing on my part.[/quote]
Actually my response was poorly typed. Should've included "for me"...in,the front of that.
#2A
#Adopt
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#359 » by fendilim » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:37 am

PrimeThyme wrote:Though I fully appreciate him standing up for what he believes in, it is a bit unfortunate that this is how Isaac will be brought to the attention of many mainstream fans and media personalities for the first time. As someone in the midst of breaking out and a potential DPOY/All star-caliber player in the near future, it's too bad that his play didn't have the chance to garner him the same attention that this has.

He will get the recognition when we start winning.
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,546

Post#360 » by penny_nz » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:44 am

Wow it's good to be back! Stayed away with no ball to talk about, but great to get up early today and watch a real game, nearly blew it at the end but held on. So good to see JI back on the court.

Hoping we get to see something more resembling the pre-break starting 5 soon, still don't rate DJ as a starter.

As for JI before the game, he is entitled to not kneel. He has always come across as someone of good character and his religion has always been central to his off court life. He is obviously of someone of strong conviction and self confidence, which bodes well for his role in our team!
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era

Return to Orlando Magic