ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Magic (30-35) vs Nets (30-34) - Friday, 07/31/20, 2:30 PM EST | YES

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,561

Re: GT: Magic (30-35) vs Nets (30-34) - Friday, 07/31/20, 2:30 PM EST | YES 

Post#101 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:06 am

Claud wrote:I had zero expectations for this bubble Nets to begin with, now much less.

The main thing Vaughn must fix is the rotation and defense.

It was cool to see our bubble 3rd stringers Martin/Musa/TLC/Anderson/Hall forced the Magic starters back on the floor.

The main thing was energy and defense which we lacked for most of the night.

A couple of things that I wish to see next game:

- Chiozza is a decent playmaker but the problem is he's been struggling mightly to shoot the 3 which is his main weapon on offense. I said it before but we are asking too much of him as a player. I feel as of now maybe he should come off the bench until he can gather himself and give others like TJ or Musa a shot. Musa at the very least is 6'9 and plays with energy.

- Rodi as backup C needs to end now. I don't mind it if it's vs. a favorable matchup but we got abused in the paint. The bad defense/rebouding outweights the fact he can stretch the floor as small ball 5. I think it's time for Fro/Hall center rotation going forward. Let Rodi start at PF next to the fro.

- Next game I'd like to see LeVert/Musa/Harris/Rodi/Fro, off the bench: TJ/Temple/TLC/Anderson/Hall.

I don't think Vaughn has much to work with here. LeVert, Harris, and Allen are decent starters, but not star players. TJ is a decent sub. Rodi seems to be rediscovering his game. Outside of those guys, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,232

Post#102 » by Papi_swav » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:11 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
it might be :lol:

Hollinger thinks Washington will force us to a play-in, and win it. They would have to win at least 2 games and we'd have to go 0-8, but I could see it. I would very much prefer keeping our pick, especially since 1 or 2 regular season wins isn't going to mean much, when the Bucks pound in our teeth.

I can't see us winning. we have zero defensive resistance. Also, last game of the seeding round is vs the Blazers who are in striking distance of the 8th seed in the west, we will definitely get stomped by them.

Best case scenario: Caris LeVert and Jarrett Allen up their trade value, Nets walk into the 2020 draft with two first round picks.

Yea honestly this might be the best possible outcome. I honestly rather just miss the playoffs because we're going to get stomped either way, at least we walk away with 2 first rounders which are good assets .

If we had DJ, Din and Prince, the guys we had for most of the season then i would definitely push for the playoffs, but we just don't have the talent right now. Too many of our main pieces are out. We're putting everything on Levert's back and guys like Temple, Chiozza, Fro, Rodi have to do so much more than they should be doing. I really wouldn't be mad if we miss the playoffs but that chance is low. 2 first picks plus either Din, Fro, Levert etc.. should get us something very nice in return.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 658

Post#103 » by NetsJets » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:29 am

When is Crawford expected to play?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#104 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:45 am

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Hollinger thinks Washington will force us to a play-in, and win it. They would have to win at least 2 games and we'd have to go 0-8, but I could see it. I would very much prefer keeping our pick, especially since 1 or 2 regular season wins isn't going to mean much, when the Bucks pound in our teeth.

I can't see us winning. we have zero defensive resistance. Also, last game of the seeding round is vs the Blazers who are in striking distance of the 8th seed in the west, we will definitely get stomped by them.

Best case scenario: Caris LeVert and Jarrett Allen up their trade value, Nets walk into the 2020 draft with two first round picks.

Yea honestly this might be the best possible outcome. I honestly rather just miss the playoffs because we're going to get stomped either way, at least we walk away with 2 first rounders which are good assets .

If we had DJ, Din and Prince, the guys we had for most of the season then i would definitely push for the playoffs, but we just don't have the talent right now. Too many of our main pieces are out. We're putting everything on Levert's back and guys like Temple, Chiozza, Fro, Rodi have to do so much more than they should be doing. I really wouldn't be mad if we miss the playoffs but that chance is low. 2 first picks plus either Din, Fro, Levert etc.. should get us something very nice in return.

I find it very hard to believe Washington will win 2 games more than us, even if we win none and one of their wins is against us.

If we beat Washington, I think they're out for sure. If we lose, you wonder if we'll shut down or rest anybody significant.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#105 » by ProspectPark » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:28 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Serious question, what caliber player do you expect to get for 5 million?

So it’s not just that he makes $5 million. It’s after the luxury tax, his $5 million will end up costing Joe Tsai closer to $10 million. With all the guards and 3’s that we already have (Kyrie, LeVert, Dinwiddie, Harris, Prince, TLC)...how many minutes are we actually expecting Temple to play next season?

Is Joe Tsai going to pay $10 million for a bench player who might be lucky to get 12 minutes per game?

I expect to see some turnover this offseason. Wouldn't shock me if Temple is gone or is retained once someone gets shipped out tbh.

I see your point though regarding the 10 mil but Tsai came into this knowing that this is a win now situation. He will have to cough up the cash regardless.

With all the success of developing D Lo, Dinwiddie. and Harris from almost out of the league to all-star caliber...I think Marks has a few prospects in mind.

We could trade Temple for someone not being used right but then develop that player into a solid rotation piece for the future or maybe even a starter.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#106 » by Prokorov » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:30 pm

was pleseantly surprised with how we played. I wasnt sure what to expect since the situation is so odd but I wasnt optomistic. I thought we came out with great effort and intensity. The first 8 minutes from the first unit was just solid basketball.

I love Rodi at Center. he stretches the floor, can get it and run off a rebound and holds his own inside on the glass and defensively.

Defense on the wings is non exsistent. Harris/Levert were already not great defenders but having to also shoulder the offense makes it even worse. Would like to see more martin at times or someone who can defend outside of temple.

Allen played well offensively, forced the magic to completel change their pick and roll defense and to get out of the zone they were in.

Were not gonna win if Chiozza. levert, and TJ dont hit their threes. we just dont have enough offense until crawford is in the lineup and we wont beat anyone because of our defense so we need to score.

Given the circumstances, this is about as good as i figured we could hope for
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#107 » by Prokorov » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:31 pm

I dont really see washington getting in over us. Like even if we go 0-10 they stll need to go 2-8 and then also beat us 2 times in a row.

I just dont see us going 0-12 while they go 4-8 with a 3-0 sweep of us.

I mean im as anti-tanking as anyone and even i welcome the lotto pick given the situation, injureies, etc. but i dont realiztically see how we miss the playoffs. especially when washington likely doesnt want to make it themselves
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#108 » by MGrand15 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:32 pm

Outside of any tactical changes, LeVert needs to be a lot better defensively if we have any hope. He was about as bad as it gets yesterday. Got killed on every screen, put JA in tough spots with unnecessary switches, lots of silly gambles. I know some people rag on his defense but this was a bad night by any standard. With Chiozza as his backcourt mate, he can't be the weak link out there. JV might have to start Temple or TJ next to LeVert if this keeps up.

I don't mind Rodi at center so much - but he needs to play a lot more at 4 next to JA.

Dante Hall has to get minutes right away. We need all the rim protection and rebounding we can get.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,561

Post#109 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:47 pm

Prokorov wrote:was pleseantly surprised with how we played. I wasnt sure what to expect since the situation is so odd but I wasnt optomistic. I thought we came out with great effort and intensity. The first 8 minutes from the first unit was just solid basketball.

I love Rodi at Center. he stretches the floor, can get it and run off a rebound and holds his own inside on the glass and defensively.

Defense on the wings is non exsistent. Harris/Levert were already not great defenders but having to also shoulder the offense makes it even worse. Would like to see more martin at times or someone who can defend outside of temple.

Allen played well offensively, forced the magic to completel change their pick and roll defense and to get out of the zone they were in.

Were not gonna win if Chiozza. levert, and TJ dont hit their threes. we just dont have enough offense until crawford is in the lineup and we wont beat anyone because of our defense so we need to score.

Allen has been solid since we started the bubble games. LeVert and Rodi as well.

It's just asking too much I'm afraid to expect this team to win anything. I don't think Crawford will move the needle in the direction that it needs to go.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#110 » by Prokorov » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:52 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:was pleseantly surprised with how we played. I wasnt sure what to expect since the situation is so odd but I wasnt optomistic. I thought we came out with great effort and intensity. The first 8 minutes from the first unit was just solid basketball.

Allen has been solid since we started the bubble games. LeVert and Rodi as well.

It's just asking too much I'm afraid to expect this team to win anything. I don't think Crawford will move the needle in the direction that it needs to go.

Crawford is a beast. there will be some rust, and some 5-18 off nights. but i believe he becomes our best offensive player the second he steps on the court. best shooter on our team, at 39 still the quickest first step on our team. and with kyrie out the best ball handler/finisher at the rim on our team.

Return to Brooklyn Nets