F-Ron Artest(‘04)
F-Kevin Garnett(‘04)
C-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar(‘77)
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: Team Lebron vs Team Kareem 

Post#2 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:41 am

I think West would get completely torched in this game.

Kareem would wreck Robinson
KG would wreck 'Sheed
LeBron would wreck Ron, but Ron can match up as well as anyone
Klay would get his
CP3 was WAY better than Billups

Imo this is a lopsided contest, unless you think Jerry West would be just as good today as he was against 1966 level competition or your such a LeBron Stan you thought LAL was going to the finals before last season started
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,498

Post#3 » by 70sFan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:37 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I think West would get completely torched in this game.

How? West was way better than Klay and he was elite defender. What is your reasoning for that?
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#4 » by JN61 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:57 am

Kareem. Double headed rim protection of Garnett and Kareem with artest guarding Lebron makes the difference.
Kareem's team has 3 best players on their position and 2 very good defenders to guard ones where they don't have the best player. Team Kareem also has the best player do I have to go with them.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#5 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:00 am

70sFan wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:I think West would get completely torched in this game.

How? West was way better than Klay and he was elite defender. What is your reasoning for that?

West relative to 1966 compition >> Klay relative to 2020 compition

West relative to 2020 compition << Klay relative to 2020 compition

You think Ron would have a problem swallowing up West? You think West is flying past CP3? You think he's getting big scoring numbers going at Klay all game? And on the other end, you think he swiping CP3's passes over and over again? You think CP3 ISN'T flying past him? Klay is running off ball and getting his 40% three point shooting on high volume.

Unless you think West is stealing CP3 passes to Klay or he's locking Chris Paul up on a switch, idk what you think he's doing on defense. Maybe he picks of an Artest pass or he sneaks up on KG, but he's not staying in front of CP3.

Compare West on defense to a guy like Jrue and it's painfully obvious Jrue is far better at staying in front of elite athletes. West faced weaker compition, so he looked like Jrue.
7/1/2019
70sFan
RealGM

Post#6 » by 70sFan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:49 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:West relative to 1966 compition >> Klay relative to 2020 compition

True.

Not true.

You think Ron would have a problem swallowing up West?

I do, West was too fast for Ron and he had very quick pull up jumper. Artest was quick, but not quick enough.

You think West is flying past CP3?

Paul is tremendous defender, but he'd give up significant size advantage and West knew how to use that, he was a very smart player.

You think he's getting big scoring numbers going at Klay all game?

Of course he would, West faces far better defensive players than Klay. He had no problem scoring on Walt Frazier for example.

And on the other end, you think he swiping CP3's passes over and over again?

Not over and over again, but he was excellent at playing passing lanes.

You think CP3 ISN'T flying past him?

Yes I think so. West was quick enough to stay in front of Paul.

Klay is running off ball and getting his 40% three point shooting on high volume.

West is one of the best defensive guards of all-time, his reads off the ball are always spot on.

Unless you think West is stealing CP3 passes to Klay or he's locking Chris Paul up on a switch, idk what you think he's doing on defense. Maybe he picks of an Artest pass or he sneaks up on KG, but he's not staying in front of CP3.

You base it on what exactly? I recently examined West defense on games I've seen and he's absolutely among the smartest and most gifted defenders ever at his position.

Compare West on defense to a guy like Jrue and it's painfully obvious Jrue is far better at staying in front of elite athletes. West faced weaker compition, so he looked like Jrue.

You are wrong, if you want to see examples ot West playing stellar defense I could give you many of them.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#7 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:30 pm

70sFan wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:West relative to 1966 compition >> Klay relative to 2020 compition

True.

Not true.

I do, West was too fast for Ron and he had very quick pull up jumper. Artest was quick, but not quick enough.

Paul is tremendous defender, but he'd give up significant size advantage and West knew how to use that, he was a very smart player.

Of course he would, West faces far better defensive players than Klay. He had no problem scoring on Walt Frazier for example.

Klay is running off ball and getting his 40% three point shooting on high volume.

West is one of the best defensive guards of all-time, his reads off the ball are always spot on.

You base it on what exactly? I recently examined West defense on games I've seen and he's absolutely among the smartest and most gifted defenders ever at his position.

You are wrong, if you want to see examples ot West playing stellar defense I could give you many of them.

Whatever dude the game is 1000% harder at the NBA level now than 50 years ago. Jerry West would see CP3 do a cross over and then stare at the ref waiting for the travel call us Paul blew right by him.

AND LOL at West is quick enough to stay in front of Paul. 2008 CP3 cannot be stayed in front of. 2008 CP3 is the peak of a top 5 PG of all time. Literally nobody could, ever can stay in front of him.

That's evidence enough right there your a homer for the old guys.

Go watch some Ron Artest defensive highlights. He'd block Jerry's slow self ever time.

It'd basically be like putting an AAU player against a DPOY.

The rules even called for stricter dribbling. If someone dribbled in 2020 by 1966 rules Ron Artest would pick their pocket every time.
7/1/2019
70sFan
RealGM

Post#8 » by 70sFan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:28 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
70sFan wrote:

True.

Not true.

Whatever dude the game is 1000% harder at the NBA level now than 50 years ago. Jerry West would see CP3 do a cross over and then stare at the ref waiting for the travel call us Paul blew right by him.

AND LOL at West is quick enough to stay in front of Paul. 2008 CP3 cannot be stayed in front of. 2008 CP3 is the peak of a top 5 PG of all time. Literally nobody could, ever can stay in front of him.

Go watch some Ron Artest defensive highlights. He'd block Jerry's slow self ever time.

The rules even called for stricter dribbling. If someone dribbled in 2020 by 1966 rules Ron Artest would pick their pocket every time.

So this is another "1960s NBA sucked" post? Sorry, but I'm not going into this again. If you can't see how good West was, then I can't help you. People who can't see West's talent and abilities don't know what they look at. I don't understand how anybody can watch West, then watch Thompson and come to conclusion that Klay is much better basketball player.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#9 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:56 pm

70sFan wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
70sFan wrote:True.

Not true.

So this is another "1960s NBA sucked" post? Sorry, but I'm not going into this again. If you can't see how good West was, then I can't help you. People who can't see West's talent and abilities don't know what they look at. I don't understand how anybody can watch West, then watch Thompson and come to conclusion that Klay is much better basketball player.

Since you think your such a good talent evaluator you should try your hand at draft evaluations. The Draft board can use more posters.
7/1/2019
jdzimme3
Pro Prospect
And1: 305

Post#10 » by jdzimme3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:05 pm

To me the Lebron team fits better with multiple great shooters and great defenders. Prefer the front court of bron, sheed and the admiral.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#11 » by 70sFan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:35 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:

Since you think your such a good talent evaluator you should try your hand at draft evaluations. The Draft board can use more posters.

It should be obvious for anyone who watches basketball long enough and I'm not even that old. West is much better passer, much better scorer, much better penetrator, much craftier offensive player, he's better at making off-dribble shots, better isolation player, better bal handler and better help defender. What is the case for Klay, outside of playing in the 2020s?
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#12 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:42 pm

70sFan wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
70sFan wrote:So this is another "1960s NBA sucked" post? Sorry, but I'm not going into this again. If you can't see how good West was, then I can't help you. People who can't see West's talent and abilities don't know what they look at. I don't understand how anybody can watch West, then watch Thompson and come to conclusion that Klay is much better basketball player.

It should be obvious for anyone who watches basketball long enough and I'm not even that old. West is much better passer, much better scorer, much better penetrator, much craftier offensive player, he's better at making off-dribble shots, better isolation player, better bal handler and better help defender. What is the case for Klay, outside of playing in the 2020s?

If your such a good talent evaluator you should hit up the NBA draft board and prove it
7/1/2019
70sFan
RealGM

Post#13 » by 70sFan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:47 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:

If your such a good talent evaluator you should hit up the NBA draft board and prove it

You don't need to be a great talent evaluator to see the difference between Klay and Jerry.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#14 » by mademan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:58 pm

Ive seen Klay thompson shut down by JR Smith. Lol at saying West would get smoked
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#15 » by Odinn21 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:31 pm

70sFan wrote:You don't need to be a great talent evaluator to see the difference between Klay and Jerry.

It's truly fascinating to see your patience with that approach over and over again. I'd probably quit arguing or treat it as some juvenile Reddit knee jerk.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#16 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:36 pm

mademan wrote:Ive seen Klay thompson shut down by JR Smith. Lol at saying West would get smoked

West guarding Paul would get smoked. I said "Klay will get his". And later said "high volume of three point attempts at about 40%".

People don't even read.
7/1/2019
70sFan
RealGM

Post#17 » by 70sFan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:40 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
mademan wrote:Ive seen Klay thompson shut down by JR Smith. Lol at saying West would get smoked

West guarding Paul would get smoked. I said "Klay will get his". And later said "high volume of three point attempts at about 40%".

People don't even read.

You won't find many better defenders on them than West.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#18 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:43 pm

70sFan wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:

People don't even read.

You won't find many better defenders on them than West.

Obviously I disagree.

You haven't even answers the OP btw.
7/1/2019
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#19 » by mademan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:44 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:

People don't even read.

"I think West would get completely torched in this game.

Kareem would wreck Robinson
KG would wreck 'Sheed
LeBron would wreck Ron, but Ron can match up as well as anyone
Klay would get his
CP3 was WAY better than Billups"

This was your quote. Notice how you mentioned "Klay would get his" and said West would get torched while tying CP3 to Billups. Every indication here is you meant that West would get torched by Klay. West is also listed as the SG besides Billups, so i dont even know why he would be guarding Paul to begin with.
TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Post#20 » by TheBomb81 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:25 pm

Team Kareem.

Return to Player Comparisons