Cleveland Cavaliers dream offseason

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,808

Cleveland Cavaliers dream offseason 

Post#1 » by JJ_PR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:25 pm

Cleveland Cavaliers dream offseason:

- Draft James Wiseman.

- Trade Darius Garland on draft night for the rights to Precious Achiuwa.

- Trade the '21 Bucks first on draft night for the rights to Saddiq Bey.

- Buy a second round pick and draft Ty-Shon Alexander.

TRADE DEADLINE

- Trade Andre Drummond and Dante Exum for bad contracts and first round picks.

PG: Collin Sexton | Dante Exum
SG: Kevin Porter Jr. | Ty-Shon Alexander
SF: Saddiq Bey | Cedi Osman | Dylan Windler
PF: Precious Achiuwa | Kevin Love | Larry Nance Jr. | Alfonso McKinnie
C: James Wiseman | Andre Drummond | Ante Zizic | Jordan Bell
Coach: J. B. Bickerstaff.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Re: Cleveland Cavaliers dream offseason 

Post#2 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:36 pm

To me, that team is just too young. Your not starting 3 rookies, especially Precious over Love. In fact, you want Love out there to space the court with Wiseman.

I dont think Garland has more than late 20's value right now. You may be able to flip him for Jalen Smith, but Precious is going to be drafted at least late teens based on his physical profile. I also dont think the MIL FRP gets you high enough for Bey. That pick is guaranteed to be near 30, so its going to have minimal value as a trade chip for a 2020 FRP.

Drummond doesnt have a market IMO, and if you draft Wiseman you are starting Drummond. There is no way that man doesnt make a ruckus if he is benched for a rookie.

Having Love and Andre off the bench will tank their already low value. You need them to start in hopes you can flip them. Also, why not deal Nance rather than keep him 3rd on the depth chart? He has more value than Love or Andre IMO. You could probably flip him to MIN for James Johnson and #33.

Finally, I would be hesitant to take a potentially motivationally challenged guy like Wiseman for a franchise that is floundering like Cleveland. I think that could be an issue. That kid needs structure and vets of some sort to keep his head on straight. IMO that makes CLE a very risky environment.

I would do this:

Trade #2 to NYK for #6, #27 and 2023 Dallas FRP. (This assumes NYK really wants Edwards)

6 - Killian Hayes G - A PNR savant with the size to play next to the more scoring oriented Sexton. He can play PG alot on offense but defend SG's.

27 - Jaden McDaniels F - High upside kid who is a few years away but has very intriguing tools.

32 - Daniel Daniel Oturu C - Another high upside guy who has potential NBA 3PT range while possessing a true center body and great rebounding

Trade Andre Drummond to CHA for Nicolas Batum + 32
Trade Darius Garland to OKC for LAC 2022 FRP + OKC 2021 SRP + 2024 MEM SRP

G - Colin Sexton / Killian Hayes / Dante Exum
G - Killian Hayes / Kevin Porter Jr / Nicolas Batum
F - Cedi Osman / Dylan Windler / Nicolas Batum
F - Larry Nance Jr / Jaden McDaniels / Alfonzo McKinnie
C - Kevin Love / Daniel Oturu / Dean Wade

New Future Picks - 2022 LAC FRP / 2023 DAL FRP / OKC 2021 SRP / 2024 MEM SRP
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Isn't Saddiq Bey slated to go around the middle of the round? That 2021 Bucks pick projects to be somewhere around, let's be honest, 29th or 30th. I don't think that draft is *that* much better that someone will take a pick that late straight up for Bey.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#4 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:23 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:To me, that team is just too young. Your not starting 3 rookies, especially Precious over Love. In fact, you want Love out there to space the court with Wiseman.

I dont think Garland has more than late 20's value right now. You may be able to flip him for Jalen Smith, but Precious is going to be drafted at least late teens based on his physical profile. I also dont think the MIL FRP gets you high enough for Bey. That pick is guaranteed to be near 30, so its going to have minimal value as a trade chip for a 2020 FRP.

Drummond doesnt have a market IMO, and if you draft Wiseman you are starting Drummond. There is no way that man doesnt make a ruckus if he is benched for a rookie.

Having Love and Andre off the bench will tank their already low value. You need them to start in hopes you can flip them. Also, why not deal Nance rather than keep him 3rd on the depth chart? He has more value than Love or Andre IMO. You could probably flip him to MIN for James Johnson and #33.

Finally, I would be hesitant to take a potentially motivationally challenged guy like Wiseman for a franchise that is floundering like Cleveland. I think that could be an issue. That kid needs structure and vets of some sort to keep his head on straight. IMO that makes CLE a very risky environment.

I would do this:

Trade #2 to NYK for #6, #27 and 2023 Dallas FRP. (This assumes NYK really wants Edwards)

6 - Killian Hayes G - A PNR savant with the size to play next to the more scoring oriented Sexton. He can play PG alot on offense but defend SG's.

27 - Jaden McDaniels F - High upside kid who is a few years away but has very intriguing tools.

32 - Daniel Daniel Oturu C - Another high upside guy who has potential NBA 3PT range while possessing a true center body and great rebounding

Drummond will most likely have a market this trade deadline due to several factors. First is that he's going to be an actual expiring and not a potential expiring depending on the player option. Teams wanting to keep him could've been worried about him opting out and leaving and teams wanting to get under the luxury for the '20-'21 season could've been screwed if he opted in. Now that he's going to 100% be an expiring, once he opts in, it'll mean teams needing to clear space will be sure he will be coming off the books. Second is that there will be actual FA targets to try and sign in the '21 offseason. Prior to the upcoming offseason most of the top targets had gotten extended so there was no one worth clearing cap space for. Finally is the fact that COVID will likely be having an affect on the salary cap for the next few seasons so teams needing to drop under the luxury tax or open up a max slot for an elite FA will be more willing to make a move.

Now in regards to your first trade proposal, the value is way off. Just this past offseason the #4 pick fetched the #8, #17, and #33 picks. Trading the #2 for #6, #27, and a '23 late FRP isn't even close. Would need to be a lightish protected '21 pick to make the value closer, especially since this draft is lacking in players that most consider elite in just Edwards/Ball/Wiseman. So assuming improved value on the future FRP I would also change the picks but I'll get to that later.

In regards to the Drummond trade, this does nothing for the Cavs at all and the Cavs would be better off just letting him walk or resigning him to be a long term option. I also don't think Oturu will be there at #32.

The Garland trade I dislike that all the picks are in the future, I would prefer to try and get one this year, but I could live with that value.

Now back to the picks having the #6 and #27 I would look to go like this, then also buy an early 2nd round pick or late 1st for cash:

#6-Deni Avdija F/Devin Vassell G/F (One will be there and either would be looking to replace Osman longterm)
#27-Jalen Smith F
#28-33-Filip Petrusev, C

G-Sexton/Exum
G-KPJ/Windler
F-(Avdija/Vassell)/Osman
F-Love/Smith/McKinnie
C-Drummond/Nance/Petrusev
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,808

Post#5 » by JJ_PR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:17 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:To me, that team is just too young. Your not starting 3 rookies, especially Precious over Love. In fact, you want Love out there to space the court with Wiseman.

I would do this:

The last thing the Cavs should do is trade down. If Wiseman is available when we pick, we must secure him & look for other ways to get back into the first round. I think Garland could fetch a pick in the teens, depending on who is selecting. Bey is all over the place in mocks. If he falls to the late 20's, a team could be interested in that Bucks pick, which is in what is considered a stronger draft.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#6 » by tidho » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:41 pm

Drafting Wiseman is a reasonable option.

Im not a huge fan of PA, but moving Garland to recoup a mid 1st this year is something i'd be all over. PA would not start over KLove.

I wouldn't trade the Bucks pick, fine with SBey instead of PA.

Buy a 2nd if you can.

Drummond and Exum deals are more likely to come at the deadline.

Note: Zizic is already gone.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#7 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:28 pm

To Celtics: Drummond + Osman + 2020 GSW FRP

To Warriors: Hayward + 2020 Memphis FRP

To Cavs: Wiggins + R. Williams + 2020 Celtics FRP + 2021 Wolves FRP

Draft Wiseman. If a guard is BPA, shop a consolidation trade of Sexton + 2020 Celtics FRP + FRPs owed (not Wolves FRP) to move up in draft.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#8 » by tidho » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:To Celtics: Drummond + Osman + 2020 GSW FRP

Draft Wiseman. If a guard is BPA, shop a consolidation trade of Sexton + 2020 Celtics FRP + FRPs owed (not Wolves FRP) to move up in draft.

*gasp* I think I like this for everybody
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#9 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:49 pm

tidho wrote:

And who doesn’t want to see the made for tv story line of Love and Wiggins on Cavs?
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#10 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:50 pm

tidho wrote:

I don't like it for the Cavs only because they are taking Wiggins and getting are getting meh. If we are tossing out a max contract for a SF I'd rather offer it to Ingram and hope the NOP don't match than to take on Wiggins. I'd want the GSW FRP in this trade.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#11 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:53 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
tidho wrote:

I don't like it for the Cavs only because they are taking Wiggins and getting are getting meh. If we are tossing out a max contract for a SF I'd rather offer it to Ingram and hope the NOP don't match than to take on Wiggins. I'd want the GSW FRP in this trade.

Ingram as a RFP is a pipe dream.

Wiggins is dead weight. I bet he tears it up being traded to East and the storyline of to Cavs — next to Love. Not saying he would justify his contract, but leading a bad team he can do.

His contract is same time period as Love. Who is also negative contract. Gives Cavs a 3 year window, with chance at 2 year if either is moveable as expiring contract.

If you prefer the 2020 FRP that is fair personal assessment. Some will argue the 2021 Wolves FRP is better. But taster’s choice. Ainge may prefer the Wolves owed anyway.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 pm

Overall I don't think it's unreasonable.

Get lucky in the lottery
Trade Garland for another pick (mid first)
Trade a future 1st (+ a future 2nd?) for another mid first

Team looks a bit better clarifying their gaurd rotation and adding a big, too. Still a long way from being done with their rebuild. Cross their fingers to move up in 2021, I think Sexton and Cunningham could be a fun backcourt.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#13 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
tidho wrote:*gasp* I think I like this for everybody

Ingram as a RFP is a pipe dream.

Wiggins is dead weight. I bet he tears it up being traded to East and the storyline of to Cavs — next to Love. Not saying he would justify his contract, but leading a bad team he can do.

His contract is same time period as Love. Who is also negative contract. Gives Cavs a 3 year window, with chance at 2 year if either is moveable as expiring contract.

If you prefer the 2020 FRP that is fair personal assessment. Some will argue the 2021 Wolves FRP is better. But taster’s choice. Ainge may prefer the Wolves owed anyway.

Unless Minnesota wins a top 4 spot in '21 I'd rather the GSW '20 top 4 pick, especially if it means the Cavs end up with 2 of the top 3 picks. The ideal choices would be to take Edwards + Wiseman with those 2 picks and even if Wiseman or Edwards gets drafted by another team, Ball is a player that can be traded to other teams like Chicago, New York, and several others for more assets.

So for example if the Cavs got the #2 and #3 picks and Edwards goes #1. Cavs draft Ball and Wiseman at #2 and #3, then trade Ball to say New York for #6, #27, and '21 FRP and those picks can turn into someone that would fit more with the Cavs like Avdija, Vassell, Okungwu, Jalen Smith, Jaden McDaniels, etc.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#14 » by drosereturn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:27 pm

Trade Love for Wiggins. Trade Garland and pick for Edwards/Ball. Trade unprotected 2021 for Wiseman

Lineup
G - Colin Sexton
G - Edwards
F - Wiggins
F - Wiseman
C - Drummond
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#15 » by Jack Dempsey » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:34 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
tidho wrote:

I don't think it's that bad at all. No major FA is going to sign with Cleveland anyway and Wiggins' contract won't hurt the Cavs all too much since it's going to expire before Wiseman or whoever will be up for an extension.
The Wolves pick could be huge next season since I don't really trust Towns and Russell. One of the Williams' from Boston could be really good. Not sure if it's Robert or Grant, I think it's Robert. And the Boston 1st is nice as well. You can find some nice roleplayers at the end of this years draft.
Cleveland should consider this at least if offered.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:43 pm

This is not the Cavs dream off season...
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#17 » by Revenged25 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:15 pm

Jack Dempsey wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
tidho wrote:*gasp* I think I like this for everybody

I don't think it's that bad at all. No major FA is going to sign with Cleveland anyway and Wiggins' contract won't hurt the Cavs all too much since it's going to expire before Wiseman or whoever will be up for an extension.
The Wolves pick could be huge next season since I don't really trust Towns and Russell. One of the Williams' from Boston could be really good. Not sure if it's Robert or Grant, I think it's Robert. And the Boston 1st is nice as well. You can find some nice roleplayers at the end of this years draft.
Cleveland should consider this at least if offered.

Which if Minnesota doesn't finish top 4 in the lottery in '21 then the pick is still worse than the GSW '20 pick. So if they swapped the '21 Wolves for '20 GSW then I'd be more ok with the trade.

From there like I said look to take Edwards + Wiseman if possible, or trade Ball a team like NYK or Chicago for more assets.

So taking that trade the Cavs would have, currently, #1, #2, and #17.

#1-Edwards
#2-Wiseman
#17-Jaden McDaniels

G-Sexton/Garland/Exum
G-Edwards/KPJ/Windler
F-Wiggins/McDaniels
F-Love/Nance
C-Wiseman/Williams

If the Cavs found a way to move Garland for a late 1st as well to draft someone like Jalen Smith also:

G-Sexton/Exum
G-Edwards/KPJ/Windler
F-Wiggins/McDaniels
F-Love/Smith
C-Wiseman/Nance/Williams
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#18 » by Jack Dempsey » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:34 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Which if Minnesota doesn't finish top 4 in the lottery in '21 then the pick is still worse than the GSW '20 pick. So if they swapped the '21 Wolves for '20 GSW then I'd be more ok with the trade.

Honestly, I don't know. It all depends on how good the 2021 Draft is going to be and I am not familiar with the prospects at all.
I'm not that familiar with the 2020 prospects either but I did watch a couple of NCAA games (mostly of teams with top prospects) this season and I didn't really see a future Superstar. I could be wrong though and obviously, I have never seen Wiseman nor the international guys play. There are a couple of guys I like but they all are projected to be good roleplayers and could be found outside of the lottery. I could easily see a top 10, maybe even a top 15 pick in 2018 being worth more than a top 3 pick in 2020.

Return to Trades and Transactions