Victor Oladipo to San Francisco

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who would win?

Warriors by a lot
29%
Warriors by a little
12%
Tie
12%
Pacers by a little
18%
Pacers by a lot
29%

Total votes: 17

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Re: Victor Oladipo to San Francisco 

Post#41 » by DeathLineup » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 am

It's a very balanced poll thus far.

I'll count this fake trade as a success.
#thevillain
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,556

Post#42 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:31 pm

Before we even get into the two lottery picks, if the Warriors can start one of:
Curry/Klay/Wiggins
Curry/Oladipo/Klay

I'm honestly not convinced we're better with the second. It isn't a slam on Oladipo, it is more about fit. I'd be really concerned about the impact on our size and defense, in exchange for the benefit in offense going from Wiggins to Oladipo, when either of them is playing third fiddle to Curry and Klay. Add in two high lottery picks, and I'd want no part of this.

A lot of people are trying really hard to "save us money". Thanks for the favor, but our ownership didn't have to take back Russell, and didn't have to trade for Wiggins. I really don't think they're interested in moving Wiggins in a way that makes us worse to save money.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,043

Post#43 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:31 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Before we even get into the two lottery picks, if the Warriors can start one of:
Curry/Klay/Wiggins
Curry/Oladipo/Klay

I'm honestly not convinced we're better with the second. It isn't a slam on Oladipo, it is more about fit. I'd be really concerned about the impact on our size and defense, in exchange for the benefit in offense going from Wiggins to Oladipo, when either of them is playing third fiddle to Curry and Klay. Add in two high lottery picks, and I'd want no part of this.

A lot of people are trying really hard to "save us money". Thanks for the favor, but our ownership didn't have to take back Russell, and didn't have to trade for Wiggins. I really don't think they're interested in moving Wiggins in a way that makes us worse to save money.

Oladipo has been an All-Defensive team player. Wiggins has never been a passable defender, even in his limited minutes in GS. I don't think the defensive worries are really something that you should be (hypothetically) worried about.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#44 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 pm

DeathLineup wrote:It's a very balanced poll thus far.

I didn't vote because there are too many factors to consider of, "If this then that..."
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#45 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Before we even get into the two lottery picks, if the Warriors can start one of:
Curry/Klay/Wiggins
Curry/Oladipo/Klay

I don't really think GSW would trade for an SG. What they need is a mobile big man who can defend and block shots. This trade moves Klay to SF, I suppose he can play that spot but he's been an SG his whole career.

There is no question that an 80% version of Victor is better than a 120% version of Wiggins. Wiggins is just not a good player and he's paid like a superstar. Basically Wiggins is a trash player who can score and he looks like a good athlete but he's not a complete player now 6 years into his NBA career. With the 3 huge years left on his bloated contract I would want 2 #1 picks to take him even if I'm giving GSW salary of useless players back. I can't see GSW trading their pick this year and the Minn pick to off load even the worst contract in the NBA.

I call Wiggins the worst contract in the NBA for 2 reasons, first he's not a good player and he does nothing to make his team mate better, and the shear length and dollar amount.

I think the Warriors will keep him even if it means a diminished role after they get healthy unless someone comes along willing to give them an equally terrible contract of a better older player who would help make the W's a better team. I'm thinking Al Horford, but Philly is going to want something more than a straight swap.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by DeathLineup » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:21 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Curry/Klay/Wiggins
Curry/Oladipo/Klay

Oladipo has been an All-Defensive team player. Wiggins has never been a passable defender, even in his limited minutes in GS. I don't think the defensive worries are really something that you should be (hypothetically) worried about.

Totally agree.

It's very, very weird to not wanting to trade Wiggins for Oladipo because of concerns on the defensive side. Oladipo is a proven all-defense player!
#thevillain
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by DeathLineup » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:55 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:

I didn't vote because there are too many factors to consider of, "If this then that..."

It doesn't matter whether you vote or not.

The fact remains that the current poll result is very balanced.
#thevillain
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#48 » by Topofthekey » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:05 am

DeathLineup wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

It doesn't matter whether you vote or not.

The fact remains that the current poll result is very balanced.

If you mean balanced in the sense that it is equally disliked by both teams, then sure
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,556

Post#49 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:05 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Curry/Klay/Wiggins
Curry/Oladipo/Klay

Yup, some homework definitely shows that I'm underestimating Oladipo as a defender. That's on me.

That being said, I'd still make two observations:
- I disagree with your assessment of Wiggins during his time on Golden State. He was no Ron Artest, but I thought his defense was nowhere near as bad as advertised. I'd read it as slightly below average in his time here so far.
- There is still an issue of size. Curry is an adequate defender of point guards, but asking/expecting him to defend bigger guys at shooting guard is asking for trouble. So now we're talking about Oladipo defending 2's, where I'd expect he'd be a very good, but undersized, defender. He'd look worse. Similarly, you'd now be sliding Klay up to where he had to defend 3's, where he'd go from being oversized to average/undersized. And again, you'd have a very good but undersized defender. He'd look worse.

If we didn't have Klay, this might really have legs. But even if I revisit my (inaccurate) views on Oladipo's defense, I would worry adding him to Klay and Steph is still not a great fit, and not the best way to maximize what any of them can do. And I might still be wrong; when Oladipo has really shined on defense, has he spent most of that time guarding 1's or 2's?

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:40 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Curry/Klay/Wiggins
Curry/Oladipo/Klay

Yup, some homework definitely shows that I'm underestimating Oladipo as a defender. That's on me.

That being said, I'd still make two observations:
- I disagree with your assessment of Wiggins during his time on Golden State. He was no Ron Artest, but I thought his defense was nowhere near as bad as advertised. I'd read it as slightly below average in his time here so far.
- There is still an issue of size. Curry is an adequate defender of point guards, but asking/expecting him to defend bigger guys at shooting guard is asking for trouble. So now we're talking about Oladipo defending 2's, where I'd expect he'd be a very good, but undersized, defender. He'd look worse. Similarly, you'd now be sliding Klay up to where he had to defend 3's, where he'd go from being oversized to average/undersized. And again, you'd have a very good but undersized defender. He'd look worse.

If we didn't have Klay, this might really have legs. But even if I revisit my (inaccurate) views on Oladipo's defense, I would worry adding him to Klay and Steph is still not a great fit, and not the best way to maximize what any of them can do. And I might still be wrong; when Oladipo has really shined on defense, has he spent most of that time guarding 1's or 2's?

Oladipo is an all defensive SG. He was paired with Collison that season, where Collison was undersized for guarding even most PG’s. So, it’s his prime defensive position. Huge wings aren’t his thing. We had Bojan, Thad, and now Warren guard them, but most anyone 1-3 isn’t a problem. And yeah, size affects who people can guard, but good defenders can guard one position either way, no problem. Better than having a bad defender instead just because he’s a couple inches taller.

As for Wiggins, it’s hard to say. His amount of play is so small that statistics don’t tell a whole lot, but he’s still rating out as bad as he always had. And in the few games I got to see him in GS, he did not look either interested, or improved, defensively.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,720

Post#51 » by gswhoops » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:00 pm

I would also prefer to keep Klay at SG, but he and Wiggins are approximately the same size/build and Klay is a much, much better defender. I don't see how Dipo/Klay wouldn't be better on D than Klay/Wiggins.

Klay guarding SG > Klay guarding SF > Dipo guarding SG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wiggins guarding anyone.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,220

Post#52 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:09 pm

I think the value is more than enough for Oladipo. Wiggins and 1 is neutral value, and the Minnesota pick makes it a good package.

But I don’t love the fit on the Warriors, so I think they say no. Indiana should want this. They’ve proven they can be a good team without Oladipo. Adding Edwards and a chance at elite talent in 2021 is pretty great, even when taking on that horrid contract of Wiggins.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:21 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:I think the value is more than enough for Oladipo. Wiggins and 1 is neutral value, and the Minnesota pick makes it a good package.

But I don’t love the fit on the Warriors, so I think they say no. Indiana should want this. They’ve proven they can be a good team without Oladipo. Adding Edwards and a chance at elite talent in 2021 is pretty great, even when taking on that horrid contract of Wiggins.

Think of it this way.

We are a good team right now. Right around 4/5 in the East. Topped out there. BUT. Add in a player WE VIEW as elite in Oladipo as a substitute in for Lamb? And we think that we're a team that can continue to grow into a top tier East team. Oladipo's the only one not signed for at least 2 more years after this one (Warren). Turner and Brogdon are signed for 3 more years. Sabonis for 4 more years. Add in that Turner and Sabonis have JUST started playing together this year, and everyone is still really young, yet in their prime, and we're pretty comfortable with Oladipo instead of taking a lottery ticket on a weird draft year where there's not really any premiere talent, and we won't get to work any of them out. And then you're adding on Wiggins contract, too.

As for value, Wiggins and the Minnesota pick was equal to Russell. I think healthy Oladipo is more than the 1 in this draft better than Russell, in terms of value. And again, the fact that Oladipo is already an Indiana basketball legend from his college days here and is a centerpiece for the city cannot be disregarded. By the time that lotto pick is really ready to contribute, will Warren, Brogdon, and Turner have already hit free agency?

Return to Trades and Transactions