Image ImageImage Image

OT Bears 2019/20 season and beyond

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: OT Bears 2019/20 season and beyond 

Post#1801 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:If you had told me would could have had Cam freakin Newton on a ONE YEAR PROVE IT deal like he signed for the Pats......
Or Philip Rivers for one year at 25 million.

Both these guys need a SB to make their case for Canton.

Everyone who said Rivers would not relocate - guy moved his 9 kids to INDY in the middle of a pandemic and loves it there apparently.

Everyone who said Cam Newton was done. Belicheck has got to still be laughing.
Kicks Tom Brady to the curb and ends up with Cam Newton. The Patriot Way.

Rivers family is living in Florida.

The couple of pieces I've seen on Rivers both said he moved the whole brood there-

https://www.colts.com/news/philip-rivers-1-on-1-quarterback-family-life-old-battles-new-chapter

Having just moved to Indianapolis within the last week, what's your first impression of Central Indiana?

Rivers: "Shoot, it's been great. I tell you what: the people have been great. Very welcoming in our neighborhood. And it's been awesome. You know, the weather's been great, too, so that certainly helps. We'll brace for the winter ahead. But, no, it's been really good. We've been here a week and (are) getting settled in, and the family is excited. And obviously it's all still real new for us, so riding around, it's fun seeing new places and new stores and finding out where Target is where the grocery (store) is and all that stuff. But it's been a smooth transition so far."

not a big deal but a lot of folks said he would retire before moving.

I felt like if the right team called him and said come here, bring the family and win a SB he would move.

Players want to be wanted.

Indy wanted him.

I would have loved having him. The guy is a gamer.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Post#1802 » by Jcool0 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:00 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:If you had told me would could have had Cam freakin Newton on a ONE YEAR PROVE IT deal like he signed for the Pats......
Or Philip Rivers for one year at 25 million.

Both these guys need a SB to make their case for Canton.

Everyone who said Rivers would not relocate - guy moved his 9 kids to INDY in the middle of a pandemic and loves it there apparently.

Everyone who said Cam Newton was done. Belicheck has got to still be laughing.
Kicks Tom Brady to the curb and ends up with Cam Newton. The Patriot Way.

Rivers family is living in Florida.

The couple of pieces I've seen on Rivers both said he moved the whole brood there-

https://www.colts.com/news/philip-rivers-1-on-1-quarterback-family-life-old-battles-new-chapter

Having just moved to Indianapolis within the last week, what's your first impression of Central Indiana?

Rivers: "Shoot, it's been great. I tell you what: the people have been great. Very welcoming in our neighborhood. And it's been awesome. You know, the weather's been great, too, so that certainly helps. We'll brace for the winter ahead. But, no, it's been really good. We've been here a week and (are) getting settled in, and the family is excited. And obviously it's all still real new for us, so riding around, it's fun seeing new places and new stores and finding out where Target is where the grocery (store) is and all that stuff. But it's been a smooth transition so far."

not a big deal but a lot of folks said he would retire before moving.

I felt like if the right team called him and said come here, bring the family and win a SB he would move.

Players want to be wanted.

Indy wanted him.

I would have loved having him. The guy is a gamer.

Rivers told ESPN that he and his wife and kids have left San Diego and moved to Florida. Rivers and his wife grew up in Decatur, Alabama, and he says they wanted to live nearer where they grew up.

“What this means football wise is to be determined but it was time for us to move back closer to home,” Rivers said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/19/philip-rivers-and-family-leave-san-diego-move-to-florida/
85Bears
Pro Prospect
And1: 135

Post#1803 » by 85Bears » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Bears have a Super Bowl defense and acted like it in the offseason. Adding to it, drafting a top CB and signing a vet safety Gibson.

When I looked at the craziest QB free agent period ever, as hard as it is to admit, Foles was the right guy for us. Bears still have hope for Mitch (me too).
Was bringing in Rivers or Brady an option, I wouldn’t have.
Is Teddy Bridgewater better than Mitch? Maybe, not for that money.

Should we have brought in Cam? It would have been exciting but if he can’t run, is a 6’6 immobile Inaccurate passer an upgrade? Does Cam know the offense? Is Cam a great film room guy who would help Mitch? Would he come to compete for job or want to be given the job?

Foles fits the Bears. Knows offense, proven winner in big games, proven locker room guy, proven to be OK coming off bench, knows the coaches.
Super Bowl MVP.

When Bears took Mitch he was a most evaluators top guy but also inexperienced. He some experience now: good 2018 and bad 2019.
If it clicks this year, with Mitch, best case scenario.
If it doesn’t, Foles is right guy for that job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,693

Post#1804 » by nitetrain8603 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:10 pm

I don't get this notion that all Cam could do was run. "Cam may not be able to run, so he's done." Even if he couldn't run, he's still a better passer than Foles and Trubisky. It's amazing people would think differently.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#1805 » by transplant » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:31 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:I don't get this notion that all Cam could do was run. "Cam may not be able to run, so he's done." Even if he couldn't run, he's still a better passer than Foles and Trubisky. It's amazing people would think differently.

Maybe Newton can be an effective NFL QB without having elite mobility, but he really hasn't shown it. In his MVP season (2015), he ranked 7th in passer rating, the only season he was in the top-10 in this statistic. His career completion % is 59.6%...pretty pedestrian and slightly lower than Foles (61.9%) and Trubisky (63.4%). His career yards per attempt is 7.3, which is a little better than Foles (7.0) and Trubisky (6.7), but he hasn't been as high as Trubisky's 7.4 (2018) since his MVP season.

Newton was once an elite QB, but he hasn't been one for 5 years...a damn long time in a NFL QB's life expectancy. Frankly, I see all 3 of these QBs as risky propositions in 2020.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,732

Post#1806 » by dougthonus » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:40 pm

Bears trade Sheehan:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29538496/bears-trade-te-adam-shaheen-dolphins-pick-source-says

Looks like a good move by the Bears. While a conditional 7th round pick doesn't have any notable value, they do save over 1M in salary cap space by moving him off the roster. That could come in handy to fill some other need, especially since they may have cut him anyway.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,946
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1807 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Eddie Goldman opts out, blow to the D.

Read on Twitter
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#1808 » by patryk7754 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:43 am

MalagaBulls wrote:Eddie Goldman opts out, blow to the D.

Read on Twitter

We lose one of the best NTs for the season but this could be turned into a positive. From my understanding his contract doesn’t count against the cap for this season and instead his contact will just shift one year into the future. This would leave us with slightly above 14m in cap. There’s a lot of quality players available including Marcell Dareus. I think we can flip goldmans contract into two or three players for this season. I’d sign them to two year contracts and trade them for picks next season. We sign

Marcell Dareus Or Damon Harrison
Larry Warford
Cordy Glenn
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,000

Post#1809 » by Chi town » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:48 am

I think we are going to see lots of guys under good contracts sit. Lots of guys playing for contracts will get prove it opportunities.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,755

Post#1810 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:17 am

patryk7754 wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:Eddie Goldman opts out, blow to the D.

Read on Twitter

We lose one of the best NTs for the season but this could be turned into a positive. From my understanding his contract doesn’t count against the cap for this season and instead his contact will just shift one year into the future. This would leave us with slightly above 14m in cap. There’s a lot of quality players available including Marcell Dareus. I think we can flip goldmans contract into two or three players for this season. I’d sign them to two year contracts and trade them for picks next season. We sign

Marcell Dareus Or Damon Harrison
Larry Warford
Cordy Glenn

I believe Warford is sitting out. But it won't matter, I don't see the season playing to it's conclusion anyways.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1811 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:44 pm

Chi town wrote:I think we are going to see lots of guys under good contracts sit. Lots of guys playing for contracts will get prove it opportunities.

NFL contract structure makes this interesting. A lot of times, players have relatively low salaries, but they got tons of money at signing bonus time. As best as I can tell, opting out doesn't mean you have to give back any pro-rated portion of your signing bonus, so players that are in this situation have a relatively low penalty to opt out compared to the cap hit that is on the team for the player.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1812 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 pm

85Bears wrote:Bears have a Super Bowl defense and acted like it in the offseason. Adding to it, drafting a top CB and signing a vet safety Gibson.

When I looked at the craziest QB free agent period ever, as hard as it is to admit, Foles was the right guy for us. Bears still have hope for Mitch (me too).

Should we have brought in Cam? It would have been exciting but if he can’t run, is a 6’6 immobile Inaccurate passer an upgrade? Does Cam know the offense? Is Cam a great film room guy who would help Mitch? Would he come to compete for job or want to be given the job?

Foles fits the Bears. Knows offense, proven winner in big games, proven locker room guy, proven to be OK coming off bench, knows the coaches.
Super Bowl MVP.

When Bears took Mitch he was a most evaluators top guy but also inexperienced. He some experience now: good 2018 and bad 2019.

Foles cost, in terms of salary and picks, is considerably higher than Newton's cost. Granted, Newton may have needed more money to come here compared to the Patriots than what the Patriots paid him, but the overall cost was still likely much higher with Foles. That extra money and extra draft choice would have gone a long way towards making the team better too.
@doug_thonus on twitter
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#1813 » by nitetrain8603 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:39 pm

dougthonus wrote:
85Bears wrote:Bears have a Super Bowl defense and acted like it in the offseason. Adding to it, drafting a top CB and signing a vet safety Gibson.

Super Bowl MVP.

Foles cost, in terms of salary and picks, is considerably higher than Newton's cost. Granted, Newton may have needed more money to come here compared to the Patriots than what the Patriots paid him, but the overall cost was still likely much higher with Foles. That extra money and extra draft choice would have gone a long way towards making the team better too.

Correct - if the costs were the same, then I could see an argument that Foles was the better option (I wouldn't be the one making it), but with Cam so much cheaper in terms of assets and money - it's a no brainer.
transplant
RealGM

Post#1814 » by transplant » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:54 pm

Hmm. QB is the most important position in team sports. Newton, a former MVP QB was a FA and got little interest from NFL teams who needed a starting QB. Either all those QB-needy teams went brain dead or (more likely) Newton is not viewed as a sure thing by most of the people whose job security is based on them making smart personnel decisions. The fact that genius Belichick ended up taking a chance on Newton will cause many to believe the brain dead theory. Personally, I think Belichick was smart enough to pay what Newton is worth right now and not what Newton fanboys think he's worth. Newton hasn't been MVP Newton for a while. We'll see.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,755

Post#1815 » by Jeffster81 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:52 am

transplant wrote:Hmm. QB is the most important position in team sports. Newton, a former MVP QB was a FA and got little interest from NFL teams who needed a starting QB. Either all those QB-needy teams went brain dead or (more likely) Newton is not viewed as a sure thing by most of the people whose job security is based on them making smart personnel decisions. The fact that genius Belichick ended up taking a chance on Newton will cause many to believe the brain dead theory. Personally, I think Belichick was smart enough to pay what Newton is worth right now and not what Newton fanboys think he's worth. Newton hasn't been MVP Newton for a while. We'll see.

I agree. Newton's style has taken a toll on his body. I said it before and I will say it again, I don't think Newton will last the full season in NE. I think his personality will eventually get him booted from NE.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#1816 » by Dresden » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:50 am

Ok, this is OT, but hey, the Cubs are 5-2. The bullpen is a disaster, but the starting pitching has been outstanding, and they're getting timely hitting so far. I don't expect them to compete with the elite teams like the Dodgers, but they might actually be pretty good this year.
transplant
RealGM

Post#1817 » by transplant » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:33 pm

Dresden wrote:Ok, this is OT, but hey, the Cubs are 5-2. The bullpen is a disaster, but the starting pitching has been outstanding, and they're getting timely hitting so far. I don't expect them to compete with the elite teams like the Dodgers, but they might actually be pretty good this year.

Hardly anyone posts on this board, so it made me LOL to see an OT Cubs comment. Dresden, you're a madman.

Yeah, if the Cubs can somehow find 3-4 reliable bullpen arms, they can compete with anyone. Big if.

transplant
RealGM

Post#1818 » by transplant » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:56 pm

It pains me to say it, but I don't think there will be a 2020 NFL season. MLB is teetering on the brink after one week. The NFL has more than twice as many players, requires significant time in indoor meetings, has larger traveling staffs and the game itself doesn't lend itself to social distancing. Add to this that many NFL players carry more weight than is healthy, putting them at greater risk if they contract Covid.

I love NFL football and I understand that they thought that the virus would be under control by September, but that assumption has been blown all to hell. The hand they've been dealt sucks out loud. You got to know when to fold 'em, but the NFL doesn't.

nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#1819 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:42 pm

transplant wrote:It pains me to say it, but I don't think there will be a 2020 NFL season. MLB is teetering on the brink after one week. The NFL has more than twice as many players, requires significant time in indoor meetings, has larger traveling staffs and the game itself doesn't lend itself to social distancing. Add to this that many NFL players carry more weight than is healthy, putting them at greater risk if they contract Covid.

I love NFL football and I understand that they thought that the virus would be under control by September, but that assumption has been blown all to hell. The hand they've been dealt sucks out loud. You got to know when to fold 'em, but the NFL doesn't.

Well isn't Covid supposed to whirl back around in the cold months? And there's supposed to be another strain of swine. 2012 may have been far off.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,000

Post#1820 » by Chi town » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:40 pm

transplant wrote:It pains me to say it, but I don't think there will be a 2020 NFL season. MLB is teetering on the brink after one week. The NFL has more than twice as many players, requires significant time in indoor meetings, has larger traveling staffs and the game itself doesn't lend itself to social distancing. Add to this that many NFL players carry more weight than is healthy, putting them at greater risk if they contract Covid.

No bubble. No season. Goodell needs to figure it out quick.

Return to Chicago Bulls