The Grizzlies draft well

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: The Grizzlies draft well 

Post#41 » by The_Hater » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:22 pm

vxmike wrote:It’s kind of a crapshoot over time. The key is drafting well over a short period of time to build a team. Very few teams consistently draft well above average.

OKC did well with Harden/KD/WB/Ibaka but that was ten years ago. What have they done since?.

OKC followed those 4 great picks with RJackson, Roberson, Adams, Ferguson and now Bazley who looks pretty good. They whiffed on Payne, McGary, Jones and traded away most of their remaining picks. Considering their draft slots since building a contender they’ve still drafted pretty well overall, it’s just always going to pale in comparison to hitting 4 home runs in a row.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#42 » by Crizzle » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:51 pm

Chris Wallace had a horrible draft record. But for the past 3 years we have hit on our picks. New front office? Luck? I don't care because we got a squad for the future.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#43 » by Soulyss » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:03 pm

Crizzle wrote:
Soulyss wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:
Pointing to JJJ at #4 as a bust seems... premature, at best. There's an obvious case for Trey instead, but not really anyone else. And even that's not a slam dunk. Let's see JJJ with another couple of years under his belt, and Trey on a team with something to play for first...

JJJ is not a bust, dude can shoot, plays solid defense, but I will say he rebounds like Trey Burke...

... I don't know if he will live up to his #4 pick but at worst he's a solid NBA starter for 12 years.

That said, Memphis's draft history... isn't fabulous. edit: Recent history isn't too bad tho.... trending in the right direction anyhow.

If jaren gets fouling under control he will be a top 10 player

Unless Jaren learns how to box out, rebound, and play more physically, he's a better shot blocking Gallinari. Good player, long time starter... but probably never an all-star.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#44 » by Galloisdaman » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:48 pm

dc wrote:
islanders11040 wrote:Knicks

That Knicks record of not giving a contract extension to a 1st round pick since 1998 (Charlie Ward!) is utterly mind blowing.

What is considered an extension? Could it be 1 year? David Lee?
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,563

Post#45 » by dc » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:07 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
dc wrote:
islanders11040 wrote:Knicks

That Knicks record of not giving a contract extension to a 1st round pick since 1998 (Charlie Ward!) is utterly mind blowing.

What is considered an extension? Could it be 1 year? David Lee?

Lee took the 1 year qualifying offer. He took it so he could become an unrestricted FA the following year. The qualifying offer typically happens when the team and the player can't agree on an extension (3-5 years), so they basically kick the can down the road for another year.

So I wouldn't count that as a real extension, no.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#46 » by Lost Angel » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:12 am

If anyone drafts well I’d say the Lakers have done a pretty good job

DLo (all star)
Ingram (all star)
Lonzo (this is now a miss to me. I supported him for a long time. He plays winning ball but he isn’t 2nd overall material. They missed on Tatum)
Kuzma (steal)
Hart (solid)
Thomas Bryant (getting better each year)
Zubac (easily should have got a 1st round pick for him. Terrible trade)
Randle (bpa at the time)

Of course they’ve missed out on guys like Rondo, etc and have picked people like Brian Cook
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#47 » by Joao Saraiva » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:50 am

TheHartBreakKid wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:The Gasol, Conley and Zebo trio carried them for years, since then they've hit homeruns in the draft all over the place. JJJ, Morant, Clarke late 1st rounder(he's a stud on both ends) Dillon Brooks in the 2nd round was gold

What other teams draft really well?

If we extend the sample to to include thabeet and Mayo, they certainly don't draft well. If we focus only on the post-Gasol/ZBO era, you are talking about literally those three picks; a very small sample size. Factor in that Ja was the clearly obvious choice there, and you are talking about JJJ and Clarke, at 4 and 21 respectively.

Clark looks to be a steal for a 21 pick, but time will tell. Very solid pick there. JJJ is a very solid high potential player who has shown a lot...I like him a lot. Solid pick at 4. but if we factor in Trae and Luka (by making the deal dallas made) being available there, it gets less exciting.

So essentially we are talking about one obvious pick at 2, one steal seemingly at 21, and a solid pick but not the BPA at 4. They are on a nice little drafting run though...

Mayo looked like a freaking good prospect tough.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#48 » by Crizzle » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:17 am

Soulyss wrote:
Crizzle wrote:
Soulyss wrote:
JJJ is not a bust, dude can shoot, plays solid defense, but I will say he rebounds like Trey Burke...

... I don't know if he will live up to his #4 pick but at worst he's a solid NBA starter for 12 years.

That said, Memphis's draft history... isn't fabulous. edit: Recent history isn't too bad tho.... trending in the right direction anyhow.

If jaren gets fouling under control he will be a top 10 player

Unless Jaren learns how to box out, rebound, and play more physically, he's a better shot blocking Gallinari. Good player, long time starter... but probably never an all-star.

Jaren Jackson has legit super star potential. Hes already one of the best shooting bigs at 20 years old. The kid hasnt even grown into his body yet. He was the youngest kid in the 2018 draft. Ja is older than him. I swear people dont relaize that players need time to develope. Theres no way you watched that game yesterday and didnt tell yourself " Damn that kids good". He has to get his fouls under control, but anyone with a brain can see he has elite defensive potential and already shows flashes. He handles the ball great for a big, is great in the pick and roll, and is a legit sniper. Its not like he is just hitting wide open 3s. he hits coming around screens, on the break, off the dribble, step backs.... Not saying its completely valid but he was rated as the 4th best ISO scorer this year by some metrics. His rebounds def need to get better. But he also plays behind JV who averages 11 boards a game. He also plays more like an ultra big wing than a big, Which is gonna make it harder for him to grab them. Despite those very bad numbers, he has so much more positives. JJJ has one of the highest ceilings in the league

Return to The General Board