ImageImageImageImageImage

Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,217

Re: Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion 

Post#21 » by Hes_On_Fire » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:21 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Freckles did a few good things. Mills was cleary useless.

I doubt Rose inherits the cap space and amount of picks he has without Perry's prior actions. And Perry did get Mitch and Iggy at really high draft positions which was pretty awesome.

That said, off with his head!

Who's Iggy? Igoudala?

Or are we talking about G Leaguer Ignas Brazdeikis?

Isn't it a little weird that this is listed under a 'positive' when we have no idea if Ignas is even an NBA player or not? And this is coming from someone who likes the player.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,177

Re: Scott Perry rejected the notion on sending players to G-League, feeling it would be perceived as too big a demotion 

Post#22 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:42 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Freckles did a few good things. Mills was cleary useless.

I doubt Rose inherits the cap space and amount of picks he has without Perry's prior actions. And Perry did get Mitch and Iggy at really high draft positions which was pretty awesome.

That said, off with his head!

Who's Iggy? Igoudala?

Or are we talking about G Leaguer Ignas Brazdeikis?

Isn't it a little weird that this is listed under a 'positive' when we have no idea if Ignas is even an NBA player or not? And this is coming from someone who likes the player.

Lady, doth protest too much too often
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#23 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:48 pm

Hire a developmental coach and then don’t let him develop. #Knicksilly
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#24 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:58 pm

Just do the opposite of whatever Perry says. Maybe that's why we are keeping him
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,364

Post#25 » by Strick » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:22 pm

Perry is a joke and wish he was axed when Mills got the boot
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#26 » by knickabocker88 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:31 pm

Anybody associated with the KP trade, should not have a Job.

Perry probably the one, that had a hard-on after the Knox / Bridges workout.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#27 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:00 pm

I thought they should've just cleaned house, Perry included. Yeah, he's done some good things: not trading away 1st rounders, drafting Mitch, solid return for Morris. but too many negatives to overlook (especially when they overhauled much of the rest of the FO): KP trade, Knox pick, FA signings, lack of player development, Fizdale, am I forgetting something?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,880

Post#28 » by GONYK » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:01 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:I thought they should've just cleaned house, Perry included. Yeah, he's done some good things: not trading away 1st rounders, drafting Mitch, solid return for Morris. but too many negatives to overlook (especially when they overhauled much of the rest of the FO): KP trade, Knox pick, FA signings, lack of player development, Fizdale, am I forgetting something?

I think he's a very good pair of hands to do the day to day work of a GM.

As long as he's not setting the strategic direction of team, I don't think he's going to do any harm.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#29 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:06 pm

GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:I thought they should've just cleaned house, Perry included. Yeah, he's done some good things: not trading away 1st rounders, drafting Mitch, solid return for Morris. but too many negatives to overlook (especially when they overhauled much of the rest of the FO): KP trade, Knox pick, FA signings, lack of player development, Fizdale, am I forgetting something?

As long as he's not setting the strategic direction of team, I don't think he's going to do any harm.

if that's the thinking, why not replace him? setting the strategic direction of the team is one of the main jobs of GM. you dont just keep someone because you think they won't cause harm, you keep someone because you think they're an asset
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#30 » by GONYK » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:09 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:

if that's the thinking, why not replace him? setting the strategic direction of the team is one of the main jobs of GM. you dont just keep someone because you think they won't cause harm, you keep someone because you think they're an asset

I don't think it's the main job of the GM. It's the job of the POBO.

The job of the GM is to do the day-to-day legwork to carry out that vision.

Our entire FO braintrust was Mills and Perry before, and we saw the results of that. Under Rose, there are a lot of decision makers above Perry.
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#31 » by bleedblue3303 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:10 pm

I have to counter your point. What good things has Perry done? Only a fool would trade away first round picks on a rebuilding team. Personally, the Morris trade was a no brainer. You and I could have dealt Morris for a late first rounder of a team competing for a chip. No only did he create a log jam at PF. He brought in guys that need minutes and "get theirs" on the court to showcase for their next contract. He didn't unload any of them for picks or young assets. Where was the Portis trade? The Randle trade? the Payton trade? He didn't even get us extra second rounders for these guys.

RJ was the consensus 3rd pick in the draft, so he didn't do anything special there. He also hired Fizdale which proved to be a disaster.

I fully expect one of the new guys in the front office to be our GM after this season. I think Rose is just giving them a year to become familiar with the position.

OHHHHH. I almost forgot to mention. He traded away our best asset in KP for Dennis smith JR and 2 very late 1st rounders.

The ONLY thing he did right was draft Mitch.
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#32 » by Infinitimind » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:12 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:Anybody associated with the KP trade, should not have a Job.

100 percent agreed with you on the kp trade, it was horrific and unforgivable. But I Rj ,Mitch and iggy are all good picks . I’m all in on knoxs, he was being talked about a top 5 talent when we drafted him, I know we all have short memories. The blame should be how we handle his development and progression. If he would have gone to a team like the jazz, he would be a stud. We have been horrible developing players. Us and Orlando are the worst in this category
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#33 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:44 pm

bleedblue3303 wrote:

I have to counter your point. What good things has Perry done? Only a fool would trade away first round picks on a rebuilding team. Personally, the Morris trade was a no brainer. You and I could have dealt Morris for a late first rounder of a team competing for a chip. No only did he create a log jam at PF. He brought in guys that need minutes and "get theirs" on the court to showcase for their next contract. He didn't unload any of them for picks or young assets. Where was the Portis trade? The Randle trade? the Payton trade? He didn't even get us extra second rounders for these guys.

RJ was the consensus 3rd pick in the draft, so he didn't do anything special there. He also hired Fizdale which proved to be a disaster.

I fully expect one of the new guys in the front office to be our GM after this season. I think Rose is just giving them a year to become familiar with the position.

OHHHHH. I almost forgot to mention. He traded away our best asset in KP for Dennis smith JR and 2 very late 1st rounders.

The ONLY thing he did right was draft Mitch.

You're right, it is common sense to keep 1sts (and even acquire more) as a rebuilding team, but as a team that traded away picks like nothing prior to Phil Jackson, it's been refreshing to actually have picks, and Perry could have traded them away, going for a quick fix, like we've seen many times

Randle and Portis trades didnt happen because they fall under the negative category (Perry hasnt been good in FA); they're too hard to trade due to $

Yup, RJ was the easy pick at 3. apparently Mills wanted to look at trade down options, and Perry wanted to stay at 3, so I give him credit there (I'm very high on RJ's potential)

Like I said, the negatives do outweigh the positives, and I would have moved on from Perry if I were in Leons position
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#34 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:47 pm

Infinitimind wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:Anybody associated with the KP trade, should not have a Job.

100 percent agreed with you on the kp trade, it was horrific and unforgivable. But I Rj ,Mitch and iggy are all good picks . I’m all in on knoxs, he was being talked about a top 5 talent when we drafted him, I know we all have short memories. The blame should be how we handle his development and progression. If he would have gone to a team like the jazz, he would be a stud. We have been horrible developing players. Us and Orlando are the worst in this category

KP was a giant vag*na.

I figured we should get this going in earnest.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#35 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:50 pm

GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:I think he's a very good pair of hands to do the day to day work of a GM.

Our entire FO braintrust was Mills and Perry before, and we saw the results of that. Under Rose, there are a lot of decision makers above Perry.

wouldn't you want your POBO and GM aligned in vision? If a POBO, or owner, is hiring a GM, they usually hire someone who shares a similar vision (and this is applicable in almost all industries, not just bball)

again, I dont think it's wise to keep someone because the thinking is "I dont think they can do any harm"

I've seen a lot of people assume that Perry's role is greatly diminished under this new regime (cue photo of child playing video game w/ controller unplugged) Is it? He was 1 of the 4 execs (Leon, Wes, Aller, Perry) involved in the interview process, and he's the only 1 of the 4 w/ real basketball experience (Aller is a CBA guy). I dont think his role is as diminished as people think it is
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#36 » by knickabocker88 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:52 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Infinitimind wrote:

KP was a giant vag*na.

I figured we should get this going in earnest.

Should get top dollar for selling premium p*ssy
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#37 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:55 pm

There really isnt a need for Perry to still be here. Rose has hired capable men to carry out everything within the scope of Perrys job.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#38 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:58 pm

Infinitimind wrote:

You're all in on Knox? he's not very good at basketball. 2 years in and he doesn't have 1 skill that's even average, let alone above-average: poor court awareness, poor defender (both individually, and team defense), inconsistent shooter, not good around the rim (lacks body control), lacks lateral quickness, doesn't create for others, inconsistent effort

the issues he had in college are the same issues he's having now, albeit w/ a worse jump shot

pre-draft scouting report on Knox:

- Impressive physical profile at 6-foot-9, 213 pounds with a 9-foot standing reach. Has the size and reach to play the 4 comfortably, especially as his frame fills out. Can play above the rim in space. Fluid in transition.
- Versatile offensive attack. Greatly improved shooter with great rotation and soft touch -- 57th percentile on unguarded catch-and-shoot jumpers. 1.9 made 3s per 40 minutes. Capable of attacking a closeout or stepping into a pull-up jumper when run off his spots. Spent most of the season sprinting around screens for midrange jumpers and floaters. Added ability to shoot on the move. Tremendous touch on floaters -- 25-61.
- Tools to defend multiple positions in time.

Improvement areas
- Lacks a degree of physicality and toughness. Only 6.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. Is he tough enough to play the 4? Will disappear for long stretches. Confidence fluctuates. Shies away from contact in the paint as a finisher. Settles for perimeter jumpers. Sees himself as more of a wing than a modern forward.
- Plays with a high center of gravity. Handle is a bit loose. Not much of a shot-creator at this stage of his development. Feel for the game is average. Had 53 assists and 85 turnovers in 1,198 minutes at Kentucky. Doesn't make his teammates better.
- Struggled defensively at Kentucky. A bit tight in the hips. Can do a better job of sitting down and sliding on the perimeter. Not the defender his tools suggest. Up and down motor.

basically, his upside was tied mostly to his physical profile/age, rather than his actual on-court abilities

at least w/ Frank he's got a bankable skill: defense
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#39 » by knickstape4ever » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:02 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:There really isnt a need for Perry to still be here. Rose has hired capable men to carry out everything within the scope of Perrys job.

I've seen a lot of this thinking, that Perry has no use here. But I think he still does. He was one of the 4 execs interviewing HC candidates (the only 1 w/ basketball ops experience, besides Aller who's specialty is the CBA), he was included w/ Leon on the Thibs introduction, he's in Orlando (assumably to do some pro scouting/they may potentially hold combine there)
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#40 » by GONYK » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:12 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
GONYK wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

wouldn't you want your POBO and GM aligned in vision? If a POBO, or owner, is hiring a GM, they usually hire someone who shares a similar vision (and this is applicable in almost all industries, not just bball)

again, I dont think it's wise to keep someone because the thinking is "I dont think they can do any harm"

I've seen a lot of people assume that Perry's role is greatly diminished under this new regime (cue photo of child playing video game w/ controller unplugged) Is it? He was 1 of the 4 execs (Leon, Wes, Aller, Perry) involved in the interview process, and he's the only 1 of the 4 w/ real basketball experience (Aller is a CBA guy). I dont think his role is as diminished as people think it is

I don't see how Perry wouldn't be aligned with Rose. Perry works for Rose.

Return to New York Knicks