ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,836

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V 

Post#1761 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:21 pm

I found some other stuff that worked - Tiwa Savage, a couple from Konshens and DaVido, and then the entire Soundman Vol 1 album (minus one track) from Starboy is right in line with the vibe. That album then obviously points me towards WizKid (who melo checked right off top in his initial response), and I'm going through his stuff now...that new single with H.E.R. is smooooooth.

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,994

Post#1762 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:56 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:I need help, Knicks fan bredren - especially the yardies!

I'm trying to find more artists/albums/songs that sound and vibe like Koffee. I have her Rapture EP, the and the new Lockdown single, but nothing beyond that, and I'm looking to create a larger, chill playlist that stays in that style - pop-ish, modern dancehall/reggae. I have four elementary school kids, so I don't want it to ever get too hard, and profanity is a no, though if the patois is thick enough and the average white person can't understand it, I don't give a sh*t. :lol: I've been playing a lot of afrobeats, and love it as a similar type of upbeat vibe, but the dancehall sound that Koffee works fits perfectly for having on around the house with the family.

I'm also willing to curate albums that have some songs that would work and others that I'd take out - I don't need the whole album recommendation to be 100% perfect. I'm just looking to be introduced to more sh*t that sounds like what she brings to the table. Thanks!

Here’s some more

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,866

Post#1763 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:13 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:Going through his catalog, Burna Boy's new single Wonderful is great. A little bit more afrobeats leaning than what I hear on African Giant. Twice As Tall is going to set records when it drops, huh?

yeah. i love him. it is amazing to have a truly global african star on the popular music scene.

and you're right. there are little pockets of explicit on some otherwise clean songs on AG. sorry about that. good job doing the due diligence.

Damn man, no need to apologize! I love being able to curate the best stuff for the kids myself instead of having to find a perfect album or artist, which would leave me with substandard music in the house.

Jeff Van Gully wrote:glad burna boy was a good direction for you. a lot of good stuff offshoots from him. i think there are some jorja smith songs that might fit what you're looking for. obviously secret is an example of the dancehall influence and is more raunchy.

I just went through most of Jorja's catalogue and it's a little too melancholy for this playlist, but she is TALENTED. Wifee already been messaged though because it's up her alley, and she's happily going through her tracks at work now. Good stuff!

Jeff Van Gully wrote:wonderful is all the way in the afrobeat pocket. good song. burna's got sounds all over the place. "killin dem" is like my personal anthem. and i have NO idea what he and zlatan are saying for the most part.

:lol: Sometimes it's all about the beat, song title/chorus, and energy! God bless Wish for being slow enough for me to know his verse. :lol:

POP POP

man, i was a BTNH STAN through high school. this is their easiest stuff to follow. they went super saiyan after this.

after like 97, bizzy bone went to another planet and left us all.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1764 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:28 am

3toheadmelo wrote:

I'm trying to find more artists/albums/songs that sound and vibe like Koffee. I have her Rapture EP, the and the new Lockdown single, but nothing beyond that, and I'm looking to create a larger, chill playlist that stays in that style - pop-ish, modern dancehall/reggae. I have four elementary school kids, so I don't want it to ever get too hard, and profanity is a no, though if the patois is thick enough and the average white person can't understand it, I don't give a sh*t. :lol: I've been playing a lot of afrobeats, and love it as a similar type of upbeat vibe, but the dancehall sound that Koffee works fits perfectly for having on around the house with the family.

I'm also willing to curate albums that have some songs that would work and others that I'd take out - I don't need the whole album recommendation to be 100% perfect. I'm just looking to be introduced to more sh*t that sounds like what she brings to the table. Thanks!

Here’s some more

also, i'm assuming you've already heard "drogba" by afro b. not sure how old your kids are, but they'll probably love it.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Monk1718
RealGM
And1: 17,567

Post#1765 » by Monk1718 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:44 am

Geto boys vs Cypress Hill
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1766 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

Here’s some more

also, i'm assuming you've already heard "drogba" by afro b. not sure how old your kids are, but they'll probably love it.

Nope, but it's now added to the playlist. I've got 4 elementary school kids, and you're right about them loving it.

Also, next Thursday, Tity Boi vs Rozay:

3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1767 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:49 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Nope, but it's now added to the playlist. I've got 4 elementary school kids, and you're right about them loving it.

Rick Ross is gonna destroy him imo. He has too much hits and features
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1768 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:also, i'm assuming you've already heard "drogba" by afro b. not sure how old your kids are, but they'll probably love it.

Going through all Afro B catalogue now. This song!

Also, I had NO CLUE this happened (and it's perfect for my playlist):

SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1769 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:17 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Rick Ross is gonna destroy him imo. He has too much hits and features

Totally agree, though Chainz DOES have a pretty incredible features catalogue himself.

And I laughed outloud at this tweet when I saw it:

Read on Twitter
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1770 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:37 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:also, i'm assuming you've already heard "drogba" by afro b. not sure how old your kids are, but they'll probably love it.

Going through all Afro B catalogue now. This song!

Also, I had NO CLUE this happened (and it's perfect for my playlist):

Ashanti has another one too
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1771 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:46 pm

SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1772 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:21 pm

Why did you two not point me toward the Lion King soundtrack?! Burna Boy, Tiwa Savage, Shatta Wale, and Beyonce on a Disney soundtrack?! :lol:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1773 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:05 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:Why did you two not point me toward the Lion King soundtrack?! Burna Boy, Tiwa Savage, Shatta Wale, and Beyonce on a Disney soundtrack?! :lol:

massive oversight on my part. glad you found it naturally.

watch for those hyenas!
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1774 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:07 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Heat

damn. i thought i replied to this.

love spesh! i attest he had line of the year last year on "sunday school." (whole verse was brilliant, but the "lamb" line. damn.)
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1775 » by SelbyCobra » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:41 am

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#1776 » by Barcs » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Banger right here. Cool video too. Hopsin always bring the fire!

SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,105

Post#1777 » by Fat Kat » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:27 am

I’m late on Tobe.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1778 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:46 pm

new burna album out today. can't wait to listen this weekend.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1779 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:new burna album out today. can't wait to listen this weekend.

YOOOOOOOO, WORLDS COLLIDING AND SH*T. GOD DAMN.

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#1780 » by Mecca » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:00 pm

BOLDY JAMES
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney