ImageImageImageImageImage

The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#21 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 pm

Baynes is old and is involved in a lot of contact.

Not sure he will hold up as a starter or much more than 20 MPG.

Warriors will know what their pick will be for about 2 months before free agency. They will have the draft just a couple of days before free agency begins

But they need to know the salary cap and luxury tax for next season as well as pre-draft combine, which are not yet determined.:

Aug. 20: NBA draft lottery

Aug. 31: Conference semifinals target date

TBD: Pre-draft combine

Sept. 15-28: Conference finals target date

Sept. 30: NBA Finals target date

Oct. 6: Last day to withdraw from the draft (international players)

Oct. 13: Last day of the NBA Finals

Oct. 16: NBA draft

TBD: Salary cap and luxury tax are set for 2020-21

Oct. 17: Last day for a team or player option to be exercised (5:00 PM ET)

Oct. 17: Last day for a player to receive a qualifying offer

Oct. 18: Free-agent negotiations can begin (6:00 p.m. ET)

Oct. 19-23: Free-agency moratorium (begins 12:01 a.m. ET)

First-round selections can sign contracts

Minimum contracts can be signed

Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet

Third- and fourth-year rookie options can be exercised

Oct. 23: Free agency begins (12:00 p.m. ET)

Teams can sign free agents

Trades can become official

Rookie-scale and veteran contracts can be extended

Clock on offer sheets begins

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29256760/2020-nba-restart-key-dates-playoffs-draft-free-agency-schedule
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Re: The biggest mistake us Warrior fans can make is expecting ownership and the FO to spend a lot of money. 

Post#22 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:16 pm

wco81 wrote:Baynes is old and is involved in a lot of contact.

Not sure he will hold up as a starter or much more than 20 MPG.

Warriors will know what their pick will be for about 2 months before free agency. They will have the draft just a couple of days before free agency begins

But they need to know the salary cap and luxury tax for next season as well as pre-draft combine, which are not yet determined.:

Aug. 20: NBA draft lottery

Aug. 31: Conference semifinals target date

TBD: Pre-draft combine

Sept. 15-28: Conference finals target date

Sept. 30: NBA Finals target date

Oct. 6: Last day to withdraw from the draft (international players)

Oct. 13: Last day of the NBA Finals

Oct. 16: NBA draft

TBD: Salary cap and luxury tax are set for 2020-21

Oct. 17: Last day for a team or player option to be exercised (5:00 PM ET)

Oct. 17: Last day for a player to receive a qualifying offer

Oct. 18: Free-agent negotiations can begin (6:00 p.m. ET)

Oct. 19-23: Free-agency moratorium (begins 12:01 a.m. ET)

First-round selections can sign contracts

Minimum contracts can be signed

Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet

Third- and fourth-year rookie options can be exercised

Oct. 23: Free agency begins (12:00 p.m. ET)

Teams can sign free agents

Trades can become official

Rookie-scale and veteran contracts can be extended

Clock on offer sheets begins

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29256760/2020-nba-restart-key-dates-playoffs-draft-free-agency-schedule

If Draymond plays 10 minutes a game at center next year, you get 20-25 minutes out of Chriss and then you can get a solid 15 or so minutes of Baynes against bigger C's.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#23 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:48 am

I’ll agree that “Expecting” is probably to strong, but I’m damn close to expecting them to spend. Spend smart, but spend. And they will because Lacob knows that playing for Chips is how you make the most money.

They have to spend money and use all of their tools because they don’t have a roster.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#24 » by B-King » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:45 pm

The Championship window for the core dictates that they will consider using all available avenues if it makes sense. They bought some flexibility when they got off the repeater bus with the trade with Minnesota. It would have been potentially better talent return to have traded Dlo during offseason, but the tax was a huge deterrent. I think that there will be some names that pop up that weren’t on the radar. The tanking of the economy will continue to impact teams through next season.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#25 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:21 pm

B-King wrote:The Championship window for the core dictates that they will consider using all available avenues if it makes sense. They bought some flexibility when they got off the repeater bus with trade the with Minnesota. It would have been potentially better talent return to have traded Dlo during offseason, but the tax was a huge deterrent. I think that there will be some names that pop up that weren’t on the radar. The tanking of the economy will continue to impact teams through next season.

That move will pay off even better now with the economic damage.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#26 » by Little Digger » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:12 pm

The Franchise is worth 5.4 billion dolllars lol..they’re not going to sacrifice winning to save a few hundred million... Come on now ..

Oh and Steph Curry is the most underpaid player in the history of sports

Warriors franchise worth before Steph was drafted = around 300 million..now it’s 18 times that
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,404

Post#27 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:44 pm

And this is based on .... recent history? Based on doing whatever it took to get to 5 chips in a row? Paying Jerry West a few million for his opinions? Building a state of the art gym in SF with their own money?

Man...if you aren't convinced in the current owners commitment to having the best team in history doing WHATEVER it takes....?

It's clear to me anyway that Lacob wants to be known as the best owner in the history of the NBA...and he would go 50 Million over if he could help make that happen.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,404

Post#28 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:51 pm

If you told the ownership they could put the following team together and it would cost them an extra 100 Million a year...I think they'd do it. Clearly that's not likely...but I do think Lacob is about legacy, not how much he's banking in (as another poster put it) he already have a 5 Billion dollar asset.

Curry, Klay, Green, Giannis, Anthony Davis.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#29 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:02 pm

Well he said he was willing to pay huge luxury taxes if KD re-signed.

Of course the stadium would have been packed, not just for the games but for other events.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#30 » by Coxy » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:02 pm

Little Digger wrote:The Franchise is worth 5.4 billion dolllars

I wonder if this valuation assessment will hold true moving forward into the new world. All franchises may take a considerable hit, purely for the sake of lending criteria.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#31 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:24 am

Coxy wrote:
Little Digger wrote:The Franchise is worth 5.4 billion dolllars

I wonder if this valuation assessment will hold true moving forward into the new world. All franchises may take a considerable hit, purely for the sake of lending criteria.

A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real money.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#32 » by CS707 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:32 am

I’d be shocked if they’re not looking at the COVID fallout as a competitive advantage. Lacob is gearing up to spend.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#33 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:18 pm

gst8 wrote:I’d be shocked if they’re not looking at the COVID fallout as a competitive advantage. Lacob is gearing up to spend.

I'm sure they're looking to see who will get dumped by teams who can't spend.

Return to Golden State Warriors