ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Ku-Bar
Pro Prospect
And1: 475

OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#1 » by Ku-Bar » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:37 pm

It has been a while since I started a new thread...

Jonathan Isaac was recently asked "do you think black lives matter?"

Why is this even necessary to ask a man of colour? Just to make sure? ...or...

:banghead: :crazy: :nonono: :noway: :roll:
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#2 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:51 pm

Because he went completely opposite of everyone else, stood, wore no statement, no BLM shirt prior that everyone else wears pre-game, and gave some weird answer about god and sin.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#3 » by Wo1verine » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:55 pm

Very cringe that reporter is a moron asking a black man if black lives matter :banghead:

Probably a white liberal ...
BrunoSkull
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#4 » by gp2015 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:58 pm

I don't know why they need to question his beliefs? It's personal and he doesn't need to reveal his reasons. First, people were upset that players were kneeling for the anthem, then people said that people have the right to not stand for the anthem and now people are getting upset because people choose not to kneel for the anthem.

Isn't that the whole point of the original protest? People have the freedom to do what they believe?

Now people get upset about those who do something outside of the norm again. Seems like we're back where we started.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
rage2021
Senior
And1: 521

Post#5 » by rage2021 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:04 am

Last I checked it's a free country where you can practice whatever beliefs you may have.

This is such a non story. Good on Isaac anyways on doing what he believes and not being a sheep. I gauruntee you there's alot more like him who dont want to do it and are just "falling in line" not to look bad. This is what the media does (liberal specifically)
jrask
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,158

Post#7 » by jrask » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:08 am

Classic Case of "Ribbon Bullying"

No rebounds No rings
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#8 » by Metallikid » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:10 am

A perfect example of the need of media to be divisive because of the 24-hour news cycle.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Post#9 » by Jcity08 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:19 am

Jonathan Isaac is not actively doing anything to suggest he is opposed to black men and women lives mattering. This is unnecessary IMO and comes off as tone policing.

I'm not going to pretend their arent black people (and this can include any group really) that work to undermine the human rights of their own racial, ethnic...ect... groups.

I just dont believe there is a case to be made here. Isaac is just really religious and his reasoning/expression of solidarity doesn't extend to kneeling or wearing a shirt with a particular message on it.

Do I agree with it, not necessarily. Do I understand that there doesn't need to be malicious intent here. Sure.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#10 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:22 am

Everyone must believe the exact same things that everyone else believes.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,059

Post#11 » by xAIRNESSx » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:27 am

Is taking a knee during the anthems going to be the new custom now?

How long is this going to go on for?
blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,793

Post#12 » by blastttOFF » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:30 am

whatever the motive is, i know as hell pascal doesn't like it

ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,755

Post#13 » by ItsDanger » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:35 am

Johnny Bball wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/jonathan-isaacs-protest-couldve-been-applauded-if-his-explanation-wasnt-nonsense-043917236.html

Isaac is an ordained minister. Perhaps his explanation wasn't very clear but most Christians understood it.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#14 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:49 am

ItsDanger wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/jonathan-isaacs-protest-couldve-been-applauded-if-his-explanation-wasnt-nonsense-043917236.html

Isaac is an ordained minister. Perhaps his explanation wasn't very clear but most Christians understood it.

You make assumptions that I've never been a screaming born again christian and that I wrote the article. You would be wrong on both counts.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,813

Post#15 » by junot111 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:49 am

It's a dumb question and he could have worded it better, but what you have to realize is a lot of these seemingly dumb questions are just soft balls from the reporter to set up the player to give a detailed answer on some subject.
Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Post#16 » by Roco14 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:50 am

Read on Twitter
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,375

Post#17 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:22 am

gp2015 wrote:Everyone must believe the exact same things that everyone else believes.

We're talking about believing in systemic racism, not your favourite pack of bubble gum.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#18 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:28 am

beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:Everyone must believe the exact same things that everyone else believes.

We're talking about believing in systemic racism, not your favourite pack of bubble gum.

Are we just going to make stupid assumptions now?

Pop who has spoken against racism and social justice many times, didn't kneel for the national anthem either. Does that mean he doesn't believe in ending racism? :roll:
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,375

Post#19 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:36 am

gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Pop who has spoken against racism and social justice many times, didn't kneel for the national anthem either. Does that mean he doesn't believe in ending racism? :roll:

No, but there is a difference between what Pop has said and done and what Jonathan Isaac has said (ie: nothing other than referring to the Bible for some inane reason).

One of those two has come out with a strong statement and the other is listening to his magical space daddy.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#20 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:42 am

beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

No, but there is a difference between what Pop has said and done and what Jonathan Isaac has said (ie: nothing other than referring to the Bible for some inane reason).

One of those two has come out with a strong statement and the other is listening to his magical space daddy.

"I believe that Black Lives Matter. A lot went into my decision, and part of it is, I thought that kneeling or wearing the Black Lives Matter t-shirt doesn't go hand-in-hand with supporting Black lives. So I felt like, just me personally, what is that I believe is taking on a stance that, I do believe that Black lives matter, but I just felt like it was a decision that I had to make, and I didn't feel like putting that shirt on and kneeling went hand in hand with supporting Black lives.

Can you tell me where he says that he doesn't believe that Black Lives matter? Just because he doesn't want to kneel or wear a shirt, doesn't mean he doesn't support it.

Don't make assumptions about people.

Return to Toronto Raptors