Is this realistic or no? Jimmy Butler to NY

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Is this realistic or no? Jimmy Butler to NY 

Post#1 » by NYG » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:35 am

RJ Barrett and 6th Overall Draft Pick for Jimmy Butler

-Miami ownership saves a ton of money

-The Heat would have both cap space and assets if they had the chance to sell Giannis on coming there and building a team from scratch.

-Optically, Miami gives up Butler to a team that was on his original trade list under a coach he loves.

-Spoelstra could probably develop Barrett and the 6th pick well.

-The Knicks need a culture setting alpha.

-He could be the scorer the Knicks need.

-Butler could be a sell to 2021 free agents if he plays well and enjoys NY.

-New York has enough 2020 cap space to build a team.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Re: Is this realistic or no? Jimmy Butler to NY 

Post#2 » by drosereturn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 am

I think Miami should do this since they can get 2 max + Bam as opposed to giving up Bam if Giannis decides to join south beach.
The chance they get a better FA than Butler is way higher so its worth the gamble. Bam will be better than Butler anyway worst case.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
NYG
RealGM

Post#3 » by NYG » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:45 am

Showtime23 wrote:I think Miami should do this since they can get 2 max + Bam as opposed to giving up Bam if Giannis decides to join south beach.
The chance they get a better FA than Butler is way higher so its worth the gamble. Bam will be better than Butler anyway worst case.

What if NY included Randle?
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#4 » by drosereturn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:48 am

NYG wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:I think Miami should do this since they can get 2 max + Bam as opposed to giving up Bam if Giannis decides to join south beach.

Miami is all in on 2021 which is why they will not sign Bam until then. No chance they do Randle unless it came with 3 unprotected picks.
It has to be exactly RJ+6 if I am Riley.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
NYG
RealGM

Post#5 » by NYG » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 am

Showtime23 wrote:
NYG wrote:

Miami is all in on 2021 which is why they will not sign Bam until then. No chance they do Randle unless it came with 3 unprotected picks.
It has to be exactly RJ+6 if I am Riley.

Randle is only $4 Million guaranteed in 2021 though
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#6 » by rugbyrugger23 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:58 am

For all these Knicks threads, Knicks need to get lucky in lotto. Maybe not #1 — or they should just take Edwards — but 2 or 3 will help their cause.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,193

Post#7 » by Neeva » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:39 am

Too much for butler.
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#8 » by puppa bear » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:37 am

Value is fine, but I see no way Heat trade Butler, short of him asking Riley to be traded to Knicks.

Given that the Heat were on his list as well, and his ties with Wade is part of why he forced a S&T here, I don’t see us trading him. For better or worse, Jimmy is our 1st max with Bam and he’ll be our salesman behind the scenes.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#9 » by PharmD » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:59 am

The last time Butler was on Thibs' team Jimmy sat on the bench and cheered with the opposing fans for the opposing team (Golden State). He sat out home games for rest then did not attend the game (Utah). He skipped pregame shoot around and was totally unreachable leading the the team not knowing if he was gonna show up, then strolled in minutes before tipoff (Milwaukee). I'm guessing that relationship is pretty damaged.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Post#10 » by BBallFreak » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:11 am

Miami easily passes. We're just not trading Jimmy...
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,201

Post#11 » by BBallFreak » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:11 am

Miami easily passes. We're just not trading Jimmy...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:38 am

Seems very unrealistic. It's both a huge downgrade from Butler to Barrett/6 on the court, but then you're losing the vet that guys would sign to play with, AND you're doing it in a way that would dissuade any top free agent from coming to sign in Miami, by showing that you shipped out the last max guy that signed to be there. When it appeared the previous big 3 might fall apart, they didn't trade away Wade, Lebron, Bosh, or even a Haslam. And I think that's one reason a lot of players feel they can trust someone like Riley.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#13 » by Karmaloop » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:52 am

There's really no reason for the Heat to even consider this. They're not guaranteed to get a star with just Bam. Butler plus a max FA before maxing out Bam makes exponentially more sense.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#14 » by DetroitDon15 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:16 pm

Karmaloop wrote:

There's really no reason for the Heat to even consider this. They're not guaranteed to get a star with just Bam. Butler plus a max FA before maxing out Bam makes exponentially more sense.

Miami is a free agent destination. The big key is that if there are any impact star max caliber players in FA. I don’t think this offseason has them. I think RJ, Bam, the sixth pick and cheap talent (Herro, Robinson, Nunn, etc) could be good for two Max fans. Wait to sign Bam before you get those two signed. If you have a player team up, it makes great sense.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#15 » by Karmaloop » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:51 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:Miami is a free agent destination. The big key is that if there are any impact star max caliber players in FA. I don’t think this offseason has them. I think RJ, Bam, the sixth pick and cheap talent (Herro, Robinson, Nunn, etc) could be good for two Max fans. Wait to sign Bam before you get those two signed. If you have a player team up, it makes great sense.

Are they without an established star? I really don't think so. LeBron and Bosh don't go there without Wade. Miami needs their star in place if they want to sign another star
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#16 » by minimus » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:27 pm

No. No chance.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#17 » by gswhoops » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:35 pm

I feel like this sends a bad message to potential 21 FAs as well. Jimmy comes to Miami, is everything they wanted, so...they trade him to try and get the next big thing instead?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:52 pm

gswhoops wrote:I feel like this sends a bad message to potential 21 FAs as well. Jimmy comes to Miami, is everything they wanted, so...they trade him to try and get the next big thing instead?

Yup. Why sign in Miami if they dealt the last max guy they "loved" a year or two later?!?
Couch Potato
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#19 » by Couch Potato » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:47 pm

Why would Pat do this? No way Giannis is leaving. Doubt any other super stars are either. Teams would be about the same. Capspace would be nothing then but lowered. I think Giannis isn't going anywhere. Even if it's only a 1+1. That's to get the bigger deal later from the Bucks on a bigger super max when the virus clears over. Pat has to do with what he has. Go as is or trade a few kids for another star to pair with Butler and BAM. But I don't see any unhappy stars as of yet with virus and all. Bubble locks rumors in as well so far.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#20 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:50 pm

Def not in this draft. It would be fair value if the trade was made before Barrett’s rookie season started though.

Return to Trades and Transactions