ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#21 » by SDM » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:45 am

Roco14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yup.

Or conversely, the middle has no home and is done couchsurfing with the left for a bit.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,138

Post#22 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:46 am

Remember when Colin Kaepernick first started kneeling for the anthem and people made assumptions that he didn't respect the military?
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#23 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:49 am

gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
Are we just going to make stupid assumptions now?

Pop who has spoken against racism and social justice many times, didn't kneel for the national anthem either. Does that mean he doesn't believe in ending racism? :roll:

No, but there is a difference between what Pop has said and done and what Jonathan Isaac has said (ie: nothing other than referring to the Bible for some inane reason).

One of those two has come out with a strong statement and the other is listening to his magical space daddy.

"I believe that Black Lives Matter. A lot went into my decision, and part of it is, I thought that kneeling or wearing the Black Lives Matter t-shirt doesn't go hand-in-hand with supporting Black lives. So I felt like, just me personally, what is that I believe is taking on a stance that, I do believe that Black lives matter, but I just felt like it was a decision that I had to make, and I didn't feel like putting that shirt on and kneeling went hand in hand with supporting Black lives.

Can you tell me where he says that he doesn't believe that Black Lives matter? Just because he doesn't want to kneel or wear a shirt, doesn't mean he doesn't support it.

Don't make assumptions about people.

I think it's just as fair to question if he believes it by simply saying it and then going out of his way to make it seem like he doesn't.
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,063

Post#24 » by M3tro » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:02 am

refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Post#25 » by refshateRaps » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:07 am

Follow the corporate mob mind control or get your ass slapped

Feel bad for the guy, no one should be bullied like this.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#26 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:09 am

beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
No, but there is a difference between what Pop has said and done and what Jonathan Isaac has said (ie: nothing other than referring to the Bible for some inane reason).

One of those two has come out with a strong statement and the other is listening to his magical space daddy.

"I believe that Black Lives Matter. A lot went into my decision, and part of it is, I thought that kneeling or wearing the Black Lives Matter t-shirt doesn't go hand-in-hand with supporting Black lives. So I felt like, just me personally, what is that I believe is taking on a stance that, I do believe that Black lives matter, but I just felt like it was a decision that I had to make, and I didn't feel like putting that shirt on and kneeling went hand in hand with supporting Black lives.

Can you tell me where he says that he doesn't believe that Black Lives matter? Just because he doesn't want to kneel or wear a shirt, doesn't mean he doesn't support it.

I think it's just as fair to question if he believes it by simply saying it and then going out of his way to make it seem like he doesn't.

Wearing a t-shirt or kneeling is meaningless. Look at their words and their actions.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
beanbag
Analyst

Post#27 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:14 am

gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Wearing a t-shirt or kneeling is meaningless. Look at their words and their actions.

Completely agree.
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#28 » by kj_ » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:16 am

gp2015 wrote:I don't know why they need to question his beliefs? It's personal and he doesn't need to reveal his reasons. First, people were upset that players were kneeling for the anthem, then people said that people have the right to not stand for the anthem and now people are getting upset because people choose not to kneel for the anthem.

Isn't that the whole point of the original protest? People have the freedom to do what they believe?

Now people get upset about those who do something outside of the norm again. Seems like we're back where we started.

People. It’s so weird that a lot of people have different opinions but you use the word people like they should all think the same or are the same people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gp2015
RealGM

Post#29 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:43 am

beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Completely agree.

I don't think there is anything yet to indicate that he doesn't believe in social justice or equality so I don't think it's fair to judge him based on not kneeling or wearing a shirt. If he says or does something else that confirms it, then that's another story.

At the same time, he is free to believe what he believes. No one should feel forced to do or say something that they don't believe just because they have to follow the norm.
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,878

Post#30 » by Boardbreaker » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:46 am

I can attempt to understand not kneeling but what's his issue with wearing a shirt that says black lives matter?
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,016

Post#31 » by ItsDanger » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:00 am

Boardbreaker wrote:I can attempt to understand not kneeling but what's his issue with wearing a shirt that says black lives matter?

You could assume it has to do with some of the statements on BLM website. He has no issue with the 3 words but some of the organization's beliefs which could conflict with his religious beliefs.

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
beanbag
Analyst

Post#32 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:03 am

gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Completely agree.

I don't think there is anything yet to indicate that he doesn't believe in social justice or equality so I don't think it's fair to judge him based on not kneeling or wearing a shirt. If he says or does something else that confirms it, then that's another story.

At the same time, he is free to believe what he believes. No one should feel forced to do or say something that they don't believe just because they have to follow the norm.

That's right. And we're all subject to be criticized for our beliefs, especially if they are objectively stupid.

I look forward to hearing what he has to say. If anything.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#33 » by Rapsalot » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:06 am

Diversity means not everyone should think and believe the same. I wish someone would ask we all know black lives matter but, are you guys supporting the organization because they are against the nuclear family?
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#34 » by SaveTheHens » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:16 am

I think it's good, I would want the players to show they can do what they want and not that it's just an image scheme where the players don't even approve of the names but the league makes them do it. Especially a black player, they're already dealing with racism anyway, they've dealt with racism their lives, they know the experience, to them maybe the shirt or whatever is an insult or this kind of charade compared to what they've actually experienced. I don't know what it's like but definitely wouldn't want to pressure any player to have to do things one way or be villified, things need to be done with purpose and meaning and not just because the lead told them to
gp2015
RealGM

Post#35 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:17 am

beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Completely agree.

That's right. And we're all subject to be criticized for our beliefs, especially if they are objectively stupid.

Sure, that's a possible consequence of expressing your own opinion. You can say whatever you want (good or bad, right or wrong) but you have to deal with whatever comes next. If you express that you're against racial equality, then you have to be prepared for the consequences.

People just need to be careful before bringing out the pitchforks.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,738

Post#36 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:20 am

Roco14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Considering everything the president has done this year, that is one really stupid and naive tweet.
beanbag
Analyst

Post#37 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:23 am

gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Sure, that's a possible consequence of expressing your own opinion. You can say whatever you want (good or bad, right or wrong) but you have to deal with whatever comes next. If you express that you're against racial equality, then you have to be prepared for the consequences.

No pitchforks have come out for him. Questioning what his deal is isn't a pitchfork.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#38 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:28 am

beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

No pitchforks have come out for him. Questioning what his deal is isn't a pitchfork.

To my knowledge, he never said he was against racial equality and he hasn't done anything to lead you to believe that he doesn't believe in BLM. Other than him not kneeling or wearing the shirt, what makes you believe that he should be questioned?

He hasn't done or said anything wrong yet so why do people need to question his personal beliefs?
beanbag
Analyst

Post#39 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:33 am

gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

To my knowledge, he never said he was against racial equality and he hasn't done anything to lead you to believe that he doesn't believe in BLM. Other than him not kneeling or wearing the shirt, what makes you believe that he should be questioned?

He hasn't done or said anything wrong yet so why do people need to question his personal beliefs?

Because I'm curious to know why he is against those gestures. As we've just discussed, I (and others) are allowed to be curious and to ask questions. What's the problem?
gp2015
RealGM

Post#40 » by gp2015 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:37 am

beanbag wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Because I'm curious to know why he is against those gestures. As we've just discussed, I (and others) are allowed to be curious and to ask questions. What's the problem?

Well, the problem is that you made the assumption that just because he didn't kneel or wear the shirt that he doesn't believe "in systemic racism".

Return to Toronto Raptors