How big is the talent gap between Kawhi and Paul George? Which player is more important to Clippers?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

How big is the talent gap between Kawhi Leonard and Paul George?

Kawhi is significantly better
62%
Kawhi is slightly better
28%
Both players are pretty much equal in talent
6%
Paul George is slightly better
3%
Paul George is significantly better
2%

Total votes: 289

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,027

Re: How big is the talent gap between Kawhi and Paul George? Which player is more important to Clippers? 

Post#21 » by og15 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:48 pm

Kawhi is obviously better. I wouldn't say slightly, and I wouldn't say significantly, but he's better by enough for it to be noticeable. Significant sounds like they are on totally different levels.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Re: How big is the talent gap between Kawhi and Paul George? Which player is more important to Clippers? 

Post#22 » by Optms » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:55 pm

Kawhi is the second best player in the game behind Lebron so there you go. Paul George is barely top 10.

1. Lebron
2. Kawhi
3. Giannis
4. Harden
5. Curry (Top 3 when healthy)
6. Jokic
7. Embiid
8. AD
9. Westbrook
10. Paul George/Gobert/Luka
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#23 » by Alatan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:59 pm

Some time ago id say Kawhi hands down but he looks like he lost a step or two. Still he is the better and more consistent player.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#24 » by thamadkant » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:19 pm

Talent and skill wise... George actually might have the edge.

But Kawhi is stronger, better physical traits and higher poise... So he could take on more bumps and higher ability to withstand or overcome physical resistance.

Both are in my top 3 players with Kawhi ahead of George so I'm not hating... Just noting what I've seen and continue to witness from both.
Rodwilliams
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#25 » by Rodwilliams » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:51 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Rodwilliams wrote:How big is the talent gap between them? Is it significant or slightly? Which player is more important to the team

Kawhi is elevnty billion imess better. Better on D helps the team more on D. better on O make sthe team better on O.

George is a career losers who consistenly makes everyone worse

People seem to forget that Paul George had a MVP year last year averaging 28 and finished 3rd in MVP voting. He also took the Pacers to the Conference Finals a few times but lost to Lebron’s super team heat. Kawhi is better but I don’t think it’s significant though
Harry Garris wrote: Curry can turn non playoff teams into title contenders.

Not if the team doesn’t have elite defenders[/quote]
What a pointless statement.Every Finals team had elite role players[/quote]
Rodwilliams wrote:Duh!Thats what I just said. Eat your own words
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#26 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:55 pm

George is always more banged up than a lot of people realize. In okc he had several nagging injuries and unexpected surgeries such as his elbow and knee. When he was healthy, he was an mvp candidate.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
OfficialRef
Sixth Man
And1: 2,398

Post#27 » by OfficialRef » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:20 am

The biggest problem with George is that when the going gets tough Phantom P makes his appearance.

Constantly in clutch moments George will completely go MIA or underperform horribly. Hes been in the midst of some of the biggest underachievers/ blowback teams like the '14 Pacers, '18 Thunder, '19 Thunder.

In the regular season Kawhi is slightly better. In fact if George was fully healthy and got the amount of rest Kawhi was afforded it would be a coin flip.

Playoffs? kawhi significantly.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,470

Post#28 » by durden_tyler » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:30 am

Has Paul George ever won in the playoffs? So i guess that's Kawhi's edge, with the latter a known killer come playoff time (which can be said to a number of stars only).
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#29 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:55 am

I'm torn between the first 2 options because Kawhi's advantage is clear (and therefore significant?) but not colossal. Similar to the gap between peak TMac and peak Vince if I had to put a name to it.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Post#30 » by Roco14 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:22 am

thamadkant wrote:Talent and skill wise... George actually might have the edge.

But Kawhi is stronger, better physical traits and higher poise... So he could take on more bumps and higher ability to withstand or overcome physical resistance.

Both are in my top 3 players with Kawhi ahead of George so I'm not hating... Just noting what I've seen and continue to witness from both.

I agree with this. If we're talking strictly about skillset and talent, they are close to equal. The difference is that Kawhi is seemingly stronger both physically, and mentally (which is arguably the most important skillset of all for players of their calibre).
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#31 » by Kalela » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:23 am

If Kawhi wasn't a robot they would be about the same.
Fire Mazzulla
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,615

Post#32 » by oldshoolballer » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:01 am

Paul George is a nice player but he disappears in big games to much for me.
dcstanley
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#33 » by dcstanley » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:57 am

Replace Kawhi with PG and the Raps still would have won last season.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,384

Post#34 » by SOUL » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:06 am

Kawhi obviously, but for some reason I like watching PG13 play way more for the same reason I liked watching T-Mac play aesthetically. Kawhi seems a bit too clunky/robotic to me and when he doesn't feel like passing, it looks forced.. but more often than not he's still scoring anyway.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,497

Post#35 » by ropjhk » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:45 pm

What Kawhi did in the 2019 playoffs is significantly better than any performance in George's career.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,691

Post#36 » by Warriorfan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:49 pm

Talent IMO may favor George who did not have Spurs coaching or players around him

Production especially since its been at the championship level weighs heavily in Leonard's favor.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,060

Post#37 » by Lockdown504090 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:55 pm

no matter how good PG is, Kawhi is one of the strongest players under 6'9 ever. He can simply move people out of his way and get shots off. He was gassed the whole Laker game, but it didnt matter because if you dont foul him, he is going to discard you like a piece of lint and get an easy look
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#38 » by Forte IV » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:33 pm

Kawhi is more consistent. I remember there was a time when he was on the Spurs where his career high was only like 33 points but he was averaging 21ppg. He just consistently got that 21.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#39 » by VDT » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:21 pm

George is overrated.

He chucks a lot, he cant really create hi own shot.
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,094

Post#40 » by Johnny Tomala » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:58 pm

Big gap, Kawhi is a superstar, George isn't. Paul George is one of the most overrated players in the league who consistently performs poorly in playoffs. I don't have George in my Top 10.

Return to The General Board