Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#581 » by agiaco » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:09 am

Who was he speaking with? Tony Snell?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,964

Post#582 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:17 am

agiaco wrote:Who was he speaking with? Tony Snell?
Yeah

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,139

Post#583 » by M2J » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:22 am

I don't believe he's going to take them. Especially not in the playoffs. Before the season, he says over and over that if he's open hell he'd knock them down. To my recollection, he really hit all of the 3s he legitimately took... The other 4 misses were like heaves or buzzer beaters. Still hid from the shot. His form and shot actually even looks good, and not clunky like Giannis.

But, I put more emphasis on his fts and fta, meaning his willingness to get there. Before he went down, he was pretty much there after that stretch without Joel. He attacked the basket and got to the line and knocked them down. Hopefully him rolling off of screens more, and having more spacing for drives and post ups wakes up that guy. He was also a beast in transition. Hopefully, the added ball handler, passed and shooter on the court with Shake, helps them push the pace
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Post#584 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#585 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Did Ben just straight up not shoot another three after the first scrimmage, lol?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,691

Post#586 » by Mik317 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:53 pm

same ole song and dance lol.

TBF he did call for the ball in the corner a few times and his teammates missed him. Also I imagine it comes more into play with Embiid on the court than Horford
#NeverGonnaBeGood
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#587 » by kio80 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:56 pm

I will start to really worry if he’s left wide open with the ball and not shoot it.
We don’t want a Ben that forces up 3s contested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#588 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:52 pm

I want Ben forcing up threes. It unlocks the driving lanes, regardless of make or miss. Besides, I highly doubt Ben Simmons will be facing shot contests from defenders anytime soon.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,139

Post#589 » by M2J » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:04 pm

kio80 wrote:I will start to really worry if he’s left wide open with the ball and not shoot it.
We don’t want a Ben that forces up 3s contested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I'd be worried, if the ball swings around the horn and he doesn't take the shot. Or someone drove and kicked it out.

Now let it be known, that I am prepared to be worried. But, I'm not surprised. When teams zone up the 76ers, he's going to need to take the shot. When the Mavs did it, I must say I was looking for him to get that opportunity... He really want placed in that spot though.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#590 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:50 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Did Ben just straight up not shoot another three after the first scrimmage, lol?

Because shooting and scoring is just natural at him. Like he can’t do it in the flow or consciously. It’s as if he has to turn into another person to be a volume shooter or scorer.

Btw issue with the Mavs game was more of his poor finishing ability against the elite defense of Luka Doncic :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#591 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:01 am

Regarding Ben and his performance this bubble and against the Mavs.

Why was Doncic on Ben a smart move?

DFS is a better defender. So he placed him on Tobi. Tobi is a natural scorer. Tobi has a higher chance to burn Doncic than DFS on offense.

Doncic may not be athletic but he has the body to not get backed down. Ben’s lack of natural scoring ability and not allowing him get close to the paint, puts him in a tough position. Plus, there won’t be any cross match issues in transition since Ben defends Doncic on defense.

Ben may be quick, but a defender who is mobile and has the body strength (2018 Al Horford) can neutralize him on offense.

Sixers have been countering this with sort of a elbow DHO with a shooter (frequently Milton) or the signature Kork screen and pop (JJ used to play this before).

Ben is most effective on offense as a 3pt assists guy or against someone who he can backdown near the basket.

One thing I’d like to see is Jrich or Milton running more two man game with Tobi or Ben then have either one of them attack the smaller defender if the defense don’t give up the open jumper and opts to switch
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,525

Post#592 » by SixthStreet » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:07 am

I think it's pretty obvious Ben isn't going to be doing the corner 3 spacing in games that mean anything. He wasn't out there one time tonight. I'll be shocked if he attempts a non-heave 3 the rest of the season.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#593 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:00 am

Sorry but he reverted back to 2019 Ben since day 1 of the bubble.

I want to see more aggressiveness in him on both ends.
I want him to be better like most of us here do.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,964

Post#594 » by eyeatoma » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:10 am

76ciology wrote:Sorry but he reverted back to 2019 Ben since day 1 of the bubble.

Yup

76ciology
RealGM

Post#595 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:57 am

eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:Sorry but he reverted back to 2019 Ben since day 1 of the bubble.

Yup

I think the role we want for him is to create 3s for others than him creating for himself. This allows him to co-exist with a paint oriented Biid.

So you see him doing a lot of his role back when we had Roco and Saric.

I’d give it a shot. As long as Tobi steps up with his scoring and our shooters knock down their shots.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#596 » by VDT » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:14 am

Biggest Red flag for Simmons is that he cant create good looks for himself. He tried to iso a few times but even when he scored it looked more luck than anything else. Without the ability to create good shots for himself his offensive value is limited as, other than the lack of scoring, it doesnt allow him to fully use his passing abilities.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,695

Post#597 » by phillynative » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:44 pm

Ben got cooked by Tj warren. I was shocked to see he guarded him for most of the game. When he saw how hot TJ was he still neglected to stay up on him and gave him space. Its not like Tj is known for his first step or driving ability. It was puzzling to see. This brings me to the belief that Ben was afraid of him getting past him and his conditioning is not exactly where it was earlier in the season before the injury.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,525

Post#598 » by SixthStreet » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:16 pm

Simmons has a much better chance of becoming a passable 3 point shooter than creating his own ISO offense off the dribble in the halfcourt. It's also not mutually exclusive. Becoming a willing shooter also help his ability to score off the dribble.

His path is clear and straight forward. He needs to shoot the ball. Corner 3s and mid range jumpers. It unlocks his set of skills in the halfcourt. Enough is enough. It's time.

Next season, whoever the coach is, there needs to be a mandate. Shoot an agreed upon number of jumpers or sit. He's too stubborn to change without it.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#599 » by eagereyez » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:52 am

I hope people (media, trainers, coaches) will demand more of Simmons when he enters his big extension next year. He does not have the impact of a star player. Advanced metrics paint him in the same light as guys like Kris Dunn, Davis Bertans, and Terrence Davis. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-player-ratings/

He needs to start having the impact of a star once he is being paid like a star. And if that can't happen while playing next to Embiid then he has to go.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,961

Post#600 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:07 pm

This was expected though, he always has a month of high production before all star game, that motivates him like there is no tomorrow, but after that he goes passive mode again. He needs to be motivated all year.
Horrible takes since 2016

Return to Philadelphia 76ers