ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter officially retires

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#141 » by Scott Hall » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:17 am

Drygon wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:Only 3 likes for the OP on this thread

Says alot about his lost connection to our fans. Great initial memories but such an unfortunate aftermath

Yeah I hate the fact that I lost interest and didn't really care about his retirement at all. I WAS a huge VC fan
but to see the way he went out the last 10 years or so becoming a journeymen and a sad parody of himself with
literally no desire to win or be great was sad to watch.

And the GREAT Vince Carter as a Raptor seems like another life time ago. It's depressing he spent more years
being a journeyman then the electric player he was as a Raptor and Net.

I've no idea what you're talking about. Vince has been a quality role player throughout most of 2010s decade & had the longest career in NBA history. Very few previous superstars could make such adjustments for extend their careers. Someone like Allen Iverson retired because he couldn't accept taking a reduced role. Also, Vince has been signing for teams who offered him most playing time & mentoring young players. That's more valuable than a free ring without doing anything (like Jeremy Lin with Raps).

What's sad however are people who are hating on Vince for 15 years & believes false narratives about him during 04/05.

dacrusha wrote:
Drygon wrote:
:lol:

Yeah, Vince is definitely losing sleep about not getting enough likes by random people on an anonymous forum... /s

And why would he care when he’s busy booking tee times in yet another year where he’s missed the playoffs?

You seriously expecting a 43-year-old role player to carry a lottery team to playoffs?

refshateRaps wrote:
Drygon wrote:
:lol:

Yeah, Vince is definitely losing sleep about not getting enough likes by random people on an anonymous forum... /s

It was just a general observation of how few fans really care, much these days, absolutely nothing to do with VInces sleep or feelings

I doubt RealGM is representing an entire fanbase. Vince got tons of reactions for his retirement outside lol.

Really? I seriously doubt you are that delusional and not understanding where we're coming from...

Vince came into the league being compared to Jordan he was arguably more talented then Kobe. All that stuff
you mention we know about but the standards should be way higher then that considering who he was and how
talented he was even in later years.

I mean are you genuinely happy that he spent the last few years of his career on complete dog $hit franchises
like Atlanta and Sacramento with next to nobody watching. His last ever game was against the Knicks that nobody
watched because they didn't even know it was his last game.

He had a chance to play for the Raptors and he chose not to. He told Gasol and Lin some suspicious things about
us before they came here. Yeah it's all nice and dandy that he "just wanted to play" so he decided to play for
the worst teams in the league but who does that?

Who as a REAL fan of Vince Carter wouldn't want him to at least go to a contender to try and win a championship
either with us or somebody else. Is playing 10-15 minutes for tanking teams even worth it? Who 20 years ago would've
said man I hope Vince Carter spends his last few years of his career playing on lottery teams that nobody watches or
the fact that Lebron and Drake make a movie about him that's shown at TIFF to a bunch of NBA players and Raptors
and he no shows it.

As a Vince Carter Stan his last chapter should've/could've been way better
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#142 » by SaveTheHens » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:26 am

Man what a culture change to the Raptors board. I hope for the next two seasons people still make ' Vince can still contribute, convince him to come back ' threads, otherwise I don't know what I'll do with myself
-AirCanada-
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Post#143 » by -AirCanada- » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:50 am

Ranger One wrote:About time. Was sick and tired of hearing about this guy.

then u gonna be real upset about seeing that jersey hanging from the rafters forever
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,466

Post#144 » by Jcity08 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:05 am

-AirCanada- wrote:

then u gonna be real upset about seeing that jersey hanging from the rafters forever

I'll take the jersey retirement because it'll be a physical reminder that all those annoying "bring him home" threads amounted to nothing because he never returned to play on this team in the nearly two decades since he left. A testament to how an unhealthy obsession on a player can create a meme in and of itself.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#145 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:16 pm

Scott Hall wrote:

Says alot about his lost connection to our fans. Great initial memories but such an unfortunate aftermath

Yeah I hate the fact that I lost interest and didn't really care about his retirement at all. I WAS a huge VC fan
but to see the way he went out the last 10 years or so becoming a journeymen and a sad parody of himself with

And the GREAT Vince Carter as a Raptor seems like another life time ago. It's depressing he spent more years

It's like a grandfather who dies after having dementia for the past 8 years. He didn't even recognize you for the last 5. You are long past grieving for the man.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#146 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:19 pm

-AirCanada- wrote:

No, I will recognize it for what it is. I would be a signal that the franchise is still in its infancy and thinks it needs to have a jersey up there because other teams have them. I would lose respect for management if it were to go up. I would have thought they were better than that.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#147 » by Scott Hall » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:49 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

It's like a grandfather who dies after having dementia for the past 8 years. He didn't even recognize you for the last 5. You are long past grieving for the man.

Great analogy
-AirCanada-
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Post#148 » by -AirCanada- » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:55 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
-AirCanada- wrote:

No, I will recognize it for what it is. I would be a signal that the franchise is still in its infancy and thinks it needs to have a jersey up there because other teams have them. I would lose respect for management if it were to go up. I would have thought they were better than that.

lmao ok bud

not a if a when
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#149 » by jaymeister15 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:04 am

Say what you want about the way he left, but to say having VC was a net negative for the franchise is ridiculous.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,886

Post#150 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:34 pm

Mad Balla 15 wrote:https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/vince-carter-announces-his-retirement-looks-back-at/id1442260442?i=1000479569686

Good listen for Vince fans.

I started watching basketball as a kid because of Jordan but Vince made me fall in love with basketball. Going to miss seeing him on the court. I hope one day his jersey is retired in Toronto. Regardless for all the good and bad things that happened he was the main reason why many people like me in the Toronto area and Canada started watching and playing basketball.

Most exciting player to ever play for raptors.... too bad he had g league players surrounding him at the time and micky mouse coach and gm...

Return to Toronto Raptors