Utah - Golden State - Dallas [Golden State drops, no Gobert]

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Utah - Golden State - Dallas [Golden State drops, no Gobert] 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:45 pm

Actually 2 separate trades (per Scoot) to make it CBA compliant (one trade is Bojan + 24 for 5).

Utah trades: Bojan Bogdanovic [absorbed into GSW TPE, $17 million salary], Mike Conley Jr., 2020 UTA 1st [24], 2nds
Utah receives: Dwight Powell, Delon Wright, Kevon Looney, 2020 GSW 1st [5], 2020 DAL 1st [19]

Why Utah does it? I have in mind drafting Obi Toppin here, and I think he has a very specific set of strengths and weaknesses that compliment Rudy Gobert perfectly. We also save some salary (creating a $17 million TPE) and can perhaps use that to obtain an impact player during the year, or use the savings to make keeping the team together a bit more sustainable during COVID.

Golden State trades: 2020 GSW 1st [5], Kevon Looney
Golden State receives: Bojan Bogdanovic, Seth Curry, 2020 UTA 1st [24], 2nds

Why Golden State does it? Golden State adds another incredible shooter, putting together 3 of the top 5 or so three-point shooters on the same team. They also bring in another Curry, a move that is likely to be appreciated by Steph. If they aren't in love with anyone at this point in the draft they may not see moving down as much of a loss, even.

Dallas trades: Delon Wright, Dwight Powell, Seth Curry, 2020 DAL 1st [19]
Dallas receives: Mike Conley

Why Dallas does it? Dallas adds a solid starting point guard, but more importantly open up tons of cap space in 2021 to put a third star next to Luka and Porzingis.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Re: Utah - Golden State - Dallas [Golden State drops, no Gobert] 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:51 pm

Isnt bogdanovic contract 17.8 mil after this season ends/for next year? Ie its too big for the tpe. I also dont see dallas doing this trade. Curry is good value and they much rather keep him. They can just trade their first with powell and wright alone and still have max space.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:53 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Isnt bogdanovic contract 17.8 mil after this season ends/for next year, so its too big for the tpe. I also dont see dallas doing this trade. Curry is good value and they much rather keep him. They can just trade their first with powell and wright alone and still have max space.

He can be traded on draft day using 19-20 salaries, in which case it just fits. I think it is pretty easy/fair to take Curry out if they prefer to keep him, and maybe send Wright to GSW if they want him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:08 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:Isnt bogdanovic contract 17.8 mil after this season ends/for next year, so its too big for the tpe. I also dont see dallas doing this trade. Curry is good value and they much rather keep him. They can just trade their first with powell and wright alone and still have max space.

He can be traded on draft day using 19-20 salaries, in which case it just fits. I think it is pretty easy/fair to take Curry out if they prefer to keep him, and maybe send Wright to GSW if they want him.

I thought davis counted as his final years salary in his trade with the lakers. Im pretty sure it should be the 17.8 that counts for bogdanovic..?
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:14 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I thought davis counted as his final years salary in his trade with the lakers. Im pretty sure it should be the 17.8 that counts for bogdanovic..?

I may have misunderstood the rules. It looks like teams can make trades prior to the draft that don't use draft picks using 19-20 salaries, but they can't if it involves draft picks?

JColl
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:16 am

babyjax13 wrote:

Possibly, yes, but you'd have to have Conley fill out the paperwork on his ETO by the draft or he's ineligible to be traded, and you'd have to do the deal one on one with GS.

Godaddycurse wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

That was agreed to on draft night but wasn't actually legal until the new league turned over, as they needed other salary pieces in it to work.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:16 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I may have misunderstood the rules. It looks like teams can make trades prior to the draft that don't use draft picks using 19-20 salaries, but they can't if it involves draft picks?

Scoot covered it, but found more info on timing:

Teams can make trades between the start of the regular season up to the NBA’s trade deadline — 3pm (eastern) on the seventeenth Thursday of the season. (The trade deadline for the 2018-19 season was February 7, 2019.) For teams that do not make the playoffs, they can start making trades again on the day after their last regular season game. Playoff teams can start making trades once they’re eliminated from the playoffs. However, no trades can take place during the moratorium period.

To finalize a trade, teams have to participate in a trade call with the league where they confirm the trade’s details. Teams must disclose all relevant information they have about a player during this call. (And this is why the New York Knicks disclosed the sexual assault allegations surrounding Kristaps Porzingis to the Dallas Mavericks during their trade call; if they had not disclosed this information, the league could have rescinded the trade, fined the Knicks up to $1 million, taken away future draft picks, or a combination of these punishments.)

(Note, the league’s By-Laws prevent a team from trading or selling its first round draft picks if the result of that trade leaves the team without a first round pick in any two consecutive future drafts.)

https://cbabreakdown.com/trades

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:18 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Possibly, yes, but you'd have to have Conley fill out the paperwork on his ETO by the draft or he's ineligible to be traded, and you'd have to do the deal one on one with GS.

Godaddycurse wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

That was agreed to on draft night but wasn't actually legal until the new league turned over, as they needed other salary pieces in it to work.

Seems Utah would have to send 24 (and some other incentive), then, and take 19 for themselves to make this work with that timing.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#9 » by Catchall » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:03 am

FWIW, Utah's pick could be at #21 or even #20 by the end of this bubble. Jazz don't look really motivated without Bogdanovic and with Mike Conley leaving soon for the birth of his child.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#10 » by Coxy » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:24 am

If it was in fact the #5 pick we are trading, then GS would have to accept this deal.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#11 » by PharmD » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:33 am

Doesn't Bojan have negative value? He's 31 on a 3/56 going forward. When you sign a 30 year old to a 4 year deal the first year is the good year and the deal gets less good from there. He's also coming off wrist surgery.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#12 » by daoneandonly » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:44 pm

I think this is pretty terrible for Dallas. We don't need Broken Mike Conley. He's proven time after time he's an extremely slow starter, add the new team/system factor and this should be a non starter. Dallas doesn't need to free up space this early while compromising the depth/talent of the team.

I don't see how Utah is getting a top 5 pick here. Sure they are taking on contracts in Powell and Wright, the latter is not a bad one at all mind you. But they are giving up a massively overpaid BB and a massively overpaid expiring.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,763

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:05 pm

I'd do the deal without Curry's inclusion. But if he is the cost to get Conley I'd pass and look to deal Powell/Wright/pick for a worse giant expiring and keep the value contract. Dallas is built on shooting around Luka. Curry is an important part of that. To include him I'd want a bigger upgrade.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,744

Post#14 » by gswhoops » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:59 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'd do the deal without Curry's inclusion. But if he is the cost to get Conley I'd pass and look to deal Powell/Wright/pick for a worse giant expiring and keep the value contract. Dallas is built on shooting around Luka. Curry is an important part of that. To include him I'd want a bigger upgrade.

Without Curry, I think Dallas probably gets dropped and we just do something like Bogs + Utah 1st + some other small incentive for #5 directly
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:17 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd do the deal without Curry's inclusion. But if he is the cost to get Conley I'd pass and look to deal Powell/Wright/pick for a worse giant expiring and keep the value contract. Dallas is built on shooting around Luka. Curry is an important part of that. To include him I'd want a bigger upgrade.

Without Curry, I think Dallas probably gets dropped and we just do something like Bogs + Utah 1st + some other small incentive for #5 directly

Makes sense. I'm also pretty in on then following up w/Conley for stuff + 19 afterward.

JColl
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#16 » by Apz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:56 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

Makes sense. I'm also pretty in on then following up w/Conley for stuff + 19 afterward.

Not sure Mavs would pay for Conley
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,580

Post#17 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:47 pm

I can’t imagine golden state trading that pick and adding so much salary for Bogdanovic at 31 years old.

Getting a cost controlled potential star for 4 years is just way more valuable than Bogdanovic.

Return to Trades and Transactions