Marcus Smart Fined $15,000 For Criticism Of Referees

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Marcus Smart Fined $15,000 For Criticism Of Referees 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:52 am

Marcus Smart has been fined $15,000 for public criticism of the officiating.

Smart made his comments to the media following the Celtics’ 119-112 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on July 31 at HP Field House on the campus of ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Florida. 

Via RealGM Staff Report

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Marcus Smart Fined $15,000 For Criticism Of Referees 

Post#2 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:59 am

Covid bubble refs aren't any better without fans watching directly. Go figure.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,413

Post#3 » by th87 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:41 am

:lol: Smart should be happy he's not suspended for his dirty play
Nites
Junior
And1: 376

Post#4 » by Nites » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:40 am

Refs have been ultra trigger happy with these fouls calls since the restart. Quit censoring the players.
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#5 » by boston_fan_ct » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:46 pm

so is it a rule if you foul 6 times you are out of the game, or is it not? if this rule results in star players being removed from the game change the rule. don't make stupid calls that impact the results of the game in crucial time just to avoid a rule you put in place.

my opinion is to keep it as is, if you allow stars to play without worrying about fouling out then it gives them a huge advantage. Giannis needs to learn to play without fouling and manage it.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#6 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:57 pm

boston_fan_ct wrote:so is it a rule if you foul 6 times you are out of the game, or is it not? if this rule results in star players being removed from the game change the rule. don't make stupid calls that impact the results of the game in crucial time just to avoid a rule you put in place.

my opinion is to keep it as is, if you allow stars to play without worrying about fouling out then it gives them a huge advantage. Giannis needs to learn to play without fouling and manage it.

It was blatantly blocking. Anyone who knows the rule and isn't a Celtics fan knew that as soon as they saw the first replay. His left foot was on the circle when Giannis jumped, and he moved his left foot to slide under Giannis when he was in the air.

There were missed calls both ways, but that's one they clearly got right (after the replay). Giannis bashed Theis in the stomach, traveled on his reverse layup, and goal-tended. Smart had a blatant lane violation on Brown's 3-point play (how do the refs miss something like that when it's literally the only thing they have to watch), elbowed DDV in the face while pretending to get the ball for an inbounds, hooked Giannis's arm in midair on a rebound attempt and dragged him to the floor, and absolutely mauled Korver on a "steal" without getting called for any of those things - not to mention dangerously sliding under Giannis in midair on the big play at the end, which the NBA should consider making a flagrant foul in the offseason.

So yeah, both guys got away with some stuff, but few players are as dirty as Smart, and that's the difference.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#7 » by meekrab » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:45 pm

Marcus Smart Mouth
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#8 » by buckboy » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:48 pm

In a related story, Smart is a flopping bitch and the dirtiest player in the league.

It's just a matter of time before he hurts someone.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#9 » by deeps6x » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:07 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
boston_fan_ct wrote:so is it a rule if you foul 6 times you are out of the game, or is it not? if this rule results in star players being removed from the game change the rule. don't make stupid calls that impact the results of the game in crucial time just to avoid a rule you put in place.

It was blatantly blocking. Anyone who knows the rule and isn't a Celtics fan knew that as soon as they saw the first replay. His left foot was on the circle when Giannis jumped, and he moved his left foot to slide under Giannis when he was in the air.

There were missed calls both ways, but that's one they clearly got right (after the replay). Giannis bashed Theis in the stomach, traveled on his reverse layup, and goal-tended. Smart had a blatant lane violation on Brown's 3-point play (how do the refs miss something like that when it's literally the only thing they have to watch), elbowed DDV in the face while pretending to get the ball for an inbounds, hooked Giannis's arm in midair on a rebound attempt and dragged him to the floor, and absolutely mauled Korver on a "steal" without getting called for any of those things - not to mention dangerously sliding under Giannis in midair on the big play at the end, which the NBA should consider making a flagrant foul in the offseason.

So yeah, both guys got away with some stuff, but few players are as dirty as Smart, and that's the difference.

Agreed, mostly. I don't know if Smart is as dirty as you seem to think he is. I call it aggressive, but get too aggressive and you are going to get the calls against you. As for Giannis, yeah, center piece for the league, so the league probably subtly lets the refs know that he is NOT to get early foul calls, and CAN'T FOUL OUT of games. But this stuff is part of this basketball entertainment league. If you want more fairness in your calls... watch the Olympics?!? The refs were pulling the same weak foul calls against the Raptors trying to give the Lakers a chance to win last night. Both teams are used to it though, and the champs prevailed. One could say they even blew out the Lakers. Still could be a possible finals match up... if it isn't the Bucks and Clippers.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#10 » by BigHustle » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:23 pm

buckboy wrote:In a related story, Smart is a flopping bitch and the dirtiest player in the league.

Winning Plays Marcus.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#11 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:03 pm

buckboy wrote:In a related story, Smart is a flopping bitch and the dirtiest player in the league.

You can say a lot of things about Smart, but this is the first time I see a comment like this. Can you link to any video showing Smart trying to hurt anybody?
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#12 » by buckboy » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:00 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:

You can say a lot of things about Smart, but this is the first time I see a comment like this. Can you link to any video showing Smart trying to hurt anybody?

Giannis twice in a half on Saturday. Pulling his arm down so he landed awkwardly. Then pulling the Battier and going under him while "trying to draw a charge".

Then elbowing DiVincenzo intentionally in the face when the game was all but over. This one doesn't fall into the hurting somebody seriously category. Just another instance of him being an insufferable twat.

Edit: I should bow out on this. I'm possibly not being objective. He's one of my 5 least liked players ever.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#13 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:02 pm

buckboy wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:

Giannis twice in a half on Saturday. Pulling his arm down so he landed awkwardly. Then pulling the Battier and going under him while "trying to draw a charge".

Then elbowing DiVincenzo intentionally in the face when the game was all but over. This one doesn't fall into the hurting somebody seriously category. Just another instance of him being an insufferable twat.

I asked for a video, not a play-by-play call.

Also, you said, "the dirtiest player in the league." Even if the plays you mentioned above did indeed happen and were indeed dirty, a couple of plays on one single game don't qualify to anoint anybody "the dirtiest player in the league."
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#14 » by anatomicbomb » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:01 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:
buckboy wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:You can say a lot of things about Smart, but this is the first time I see a comment like this. Can you link to any video showing Smart trying to hurt anybody?

Also, you said, "the dirtiest player in the league." Even if the plays you mentioned above did indeed happen and were indeed dirty, a couple of plays on one single game don't qualify to anoint anybody "the dirtiest player in the league."

there's this:
https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-scary-giannis-antetokounmpo-marcus-smart-fall-during-celtics-bucks/
which is really bad. clearly just an intent to injure.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#15 » by boston_fan_ct » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:23 pm

it certainly was not blatant that it was a block (that's a bit extreme), if it was blatant then Smart and the media would not have been complaining, my point mostly was stars get the calls. I could see them call it a block to begin with, but to reverse the call was wrong in my opinion as it gets into a judgement call. i didn't see enough to reverse it and they made the call largely on not wanting to foul out the star. again point, if you want to keep the stars in then change the rules.

[quote="deeps6x"][quote="coolhandluke121"][quote="boston_fan_ct"]so is it a rule if you foul 6 times you are out of the game, or is it not? if this rule results in star players being removed from the game change the rule. don't make stupid calls that impact the results of the game in crucial time just to avoid a rule you put in place.

Agreed, mostly. I don't know if Smart is as dirty as you seem to think he is. I call it aggressive, but get too aggressive and you are going to get the calls against you. As for Giannis, yeah, center piece for the league, so the league probably subtly lets the refs know
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#16 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:52 pm

anatomicbomb wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
buckboy wrote:

there's this:
https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-scary-giannis-antetokounmpo-marcus-smart-fall-during-celtics-bucks/
which is really bad. clearly just an intent to injure.

Yep. Very good at hiding his dirty plays from the refs in real time. Not so good at hiding them from any fans who are actually paying attention and understand what they're watching.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#17 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:58 pm

boston_fan_ct wrote:it certainly was not blatant that it was a block (that's a bit extreme), if it was blatant then Smart and the media would not have been complaining, my point mostly was stars get the calls. I could see them call it a block to begin with, but to reverse the call was wrong in my opinion as it gets into a judgement call. i didn't see enough to reverse it and they made the call largely on not wanting to foul out the star. again point, if you want to keep the stars in then change the rules.

:lol: If they didn't want Giannis to foul out, why didn't they just call it a block in the first place? You're in way over your head here.

They need indisputable video evidence to overturn a call. Do you know what indisputable means? https://www.dictionary.com/browse/indisputable

There is no way anyone with eyes who knows the rule can argue that Smart's feet were set, period. Keep crying though.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#18 » by anatomicbomb » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:41 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
boston_fan_ct wrote:it certainly was not blatant that it was a block (that's a bit extreme), if it was blatant then Smart and the media would not have been complaining, my point mostly was stars get the calls. I could see them call it a block to begin with, but to reverse the call was wrong in my opinion as it gets into a judgement call. i didn't see enough to reverse it and they made the call largely on not wanting to foul out the star. again point, if you want to keep the stars in then change the rules.

:lol: If they didn't want Giannis to foul out, why didn't they just call it a block in the first place? You're in way over your head here.

They need indisputable video evidence to overturn a call. Do you know what indisputable means? https://www.dictionary.com/browse/indisputable

There is no way anyone with eyes who knows the rule can argue that Smart's feet were set, period. Keep crying though.

Yeah, Giannis was very clearly in the air while Smart got set underneath him. It was a good effort, since no one else on the Celtics seemed to want to even try to get in Giannis' way, but still very much a blocking foul.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
boatonchampcity
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#19 » by boatonchampcity » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:25 pm

Remember when the unenlightened Milwaukee fans were calling Marcus Smart a thug? You know, defending the guy (Giannis) who punched a Celtics player in the the stomach (fouled out but not called), charged (fouled out but not called) and kicked two more during the game (one called) and now head butts another player. Guess we know who the thug is huh? I mean with out the WWNBA refs making sure he stays in games.

Return to Wiretap Discussion