ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#361 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:26 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:I'm telling you right now that we're drafting a big man that has 3-point shooting potential. I think outside of Smith, Oturu is the best fit next to Bam.

Now, I'm thinking we draft a guard with the FRP if Smith and Pokusevski are gone. Tyrell Terry and Grant Riller are Heat picks. We can address the big men issues through 2nd round picks(if we get one), the G league or undrafted free agency.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,027

Post#362 » by twix2500 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:07 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:I'm telling you right now that we're drafting a big man that has 3-point shooting potential. I think outside of Smith, Oturu is the best fit next to Bam.

Now, I'm thinking we draft a guard with the FRP if Smith and Pokusevski are gone. Tyrell Terry and Grant Riller are Heat picks. We can address the big men issues through 2nd round picks(if we get one), the G league or undrafted free agency.

I'm on the Grant Riller train
His quickness and ability to create is big time. I can understand if his age was allowing him to out smart players, but he is physically out playing players. His agilities are off the charts. Having a scoring point tandem of Nunn and Riller would something to watch

lastb1ckman
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#363 » by lastb1ckman » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi, I'm new on here. Why Grant Riller over potential 3&D big men like Oturu or Jalen Smith? To me it looks like a lot of what Riller brings, Nunn brings already. Along with not being much younger.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,008

Post#364 » by DayofMourning » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:05 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:Hi, I'm new on here. Why Grant Riller over potential 3&D big men like Oturu or Jalen Smith? To me it looks like a lot of what Riller brings, Nunn brings already. Along with not being much younger.

Welcome to the boards!

I think you still have to take BPA every time, so whoever that may be is the right choice. Teams have killed themselves in the past by going position over BPA.

I have watched Terry, and he is an interesting player. Haven't spent much time on Riller.

I'd love to have Jalen Smith, I've been on the wagon for a while with him. I think he's a very nice fit with Bam. Some think he's gone before we pick though.

Oturu is nice as well. Would welcome him with open arms.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#365 » by twix2500 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:20 am

lastb1ckman wrote:Hi, I'm new on here. Why Grant Riller over potential 3&D big men like Oturu or Jalen Smith? To me it looks like a lot of what Riller brings, Nunn brings already. Along with not being much younger.

I believe Oturu is a top 10 or 15 pick. I do not believe he will be available. However, Riller and Smith, I believe they will be available. I believe Riller is a better prospect than Smith. IMO age is only relevant when you are measuring his development in comparison to the age. IMO it is a disadvantage to a team when the player is younger and less tape. So you are trying to predict an unknown oppose to a player that you do have tape of.
lastb1ckman
Ballboy

Post#366 » by lastb1ckman » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:29 am

Oturu is potentially a top 15 pick?! I always really liked his game, but I remember him potentially falling into the second round in a lot of mocks before sports stopped. I didn't know he rose that much since then! And yeah the tape vs age thing does make sense. Especially when picking outside the lottery.

Personally, when it comes to guards I'm leaning towards guys with purer passing skills and defensive potential like Jones or Maledon. I'm almost positive guys like them can be atleast good back ups in the league for a long time. Especially when they play next to scorers like Nunn or Herro.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#367 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:52 pm

twix2500 wrote:

I believe Oturu is a top 10 or 15 pick. I do not believe he will be available. However, Riller and Smith, I believe they will be available. I believe Riller is a better prospect than Smith. IMO age is only relevant when you are measuring his development in comparison to the age. IMO it is a disadvantage to a team when the player is younger and less tape. So you are trying to predict an unknown oppose to a player that you do have tape of.

Oturu is not a top 15 pick. Centers that get drafted that high these days usually space the floor or have elite defense or both.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#368 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:31 pm

Might be a Malachi Flynn fan now.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#369 » by DayofMourning » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:13 am

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Oturu is not a top 15 pick. Centers that get drafted that high these days usually space the floor or have elite defense or both.

Oturu is actually a solid shooter and defender. I really don't know how to rate him in this draft. I wonder about his intelligence, so I'd feel better drafting him lower than 15th.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,298

Post#370 » by Wiltside » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:16 am

Liked what I saw in that Riller video above. Van Vleet vibes.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
lastb1ckman
Ballboy

Post#371 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:34 am

I watched some footage and scouting reports for Malachi Flynn. I'm liking him too. Seems to have the entire package BBIQ, scoring, playmaking, and defense wise. His main weaknesses are probably his average athleticism, smallish size, and he's a bit old at 22. I just wonder how he'll hold up at the next level.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#372 » by twix2500 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:38 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Oturu is actually a solid shooter and defender. I really don't know how to rate him in this draft. I wonder about his intelligence, so I'd feel better drafting him lower than 15th.

Yeah I'm confused. He shown he can score at all three levels and create for him self by posting up and putting the ball on the floor. He has very good agility and body frame. As well as being productive. That is top ten attributes. There might be some weaknesses that I do not know about but strictly from highlights and numbers he got it. If he drops it would be an absolute steal like Bam was.

Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#373 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:12 pm

twix2500 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:

Yeah I'm confused. He shown he can score at all three levels and create for him self by posting up and putting the ball on the floor. He has very good agility and body frame. As well as being productive. That is top ten attributes. There might be some weaknesses that I do not know about but strictly from highlights and numbers he got it. If he drops it would be an absolute steal like Bam was.

Brandon Clarke was a more impressive prospect and still dropped to 21. At the NBA level, Oturu might not be a rim protector or good defender and as a big men if you can't do the former then you better at least be able to space the floor. We're probably not going to have a draft combine or workouts so we can't even properly analyze him.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#374 » by DayofMourning » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:00 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Brandon Clarke was a more impressive prospect and still dropped to 21. At the NBA level, Oturu might not be a rim protector or good defender and as a big men if you can't do the former then you better at least be able to space the floor. We're probably not going to have a draft combine or workouts so we can't even properly analyze him.

Oturu "might not" be able to do the things well in the NBA that he did well in college? That should apply to every prospect in the draft using that reasoning. Maybe Nesmith won't be a good shooter in the NBA. Maybe Toppin won't be athletic enough for the NBA.

Just get this team a big this year. There are "good" options available, and should be within our reach.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#375 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:26 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Oturu "might not" be able to do the things well in the NBA that he did well in college? That should apply to every prospect in the draft using that reasoning. Maybe Nesmith won't be a good shooter in the NBA. Maybe Toppin won't be athletic enough for the NBA.

Just get this team a big this year. There are "good" options available, and should be within our reach.

But Oturu isn't even an amazing rim protector in college so the odds of him being one in the NBA is lower than the odds of Nesmith being a good 3-point shooter. A guard would be less of a gamble.
lastb1ckman
Ballboy

Post#376 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:14 pm

After yesterday's game, I think I'm convinced the Heat need to draft or aquire a point guard in next year. And I mean a TRUE point guard. A guy that can run an offense and guard opposing guards competently. This would free up the others to play to their strengths and only occasionally playmake and chase around guards.

Some guys I think can do this are Tre Jones, Theo Maledon, and possibly Malachi Flynn. All are active defenders who pick up their assignments before half court, along with being high quality playmakers that can get even better learning from Dragic.

I'm really liking Tre Jones. At the minimum, he's a solid backup point guard that sticks in the league for a long time.
lastb1ckman
Ballboy

Post#377 » by lastb1ckman » Wed Aug 5, 2020 2:34 am

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9maXZlcmVhc29ucy5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbS9mZWVkLnhtbA&ep=14&episode=Rml2ZVJlYXNvbnMucG9kYmVhbi5jb20vYzIwNzU5MDItYmViMC0zZGE3LWEzMGUtMzdkZTFiYzMwOGFl

On the this episode of the Five On the Floor Podcast by Ethan Skolnick, around the 20 minute mark they talk about our issues with initiating the offense without Jimmy or Bam or Dragic on the floor and how we might need a true point guard to fix that.
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach

Post#378 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:20 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:From mediocre win percentage with a guy named Wins low, to expectations of high win percentage with a guy named Wins ton. It just makes sense. It's all in the name.

Seriously though, he is a talented player. I feel like his shooting would fit in well here. Would he play as well without the touches? Some guys can't. I watched a great video the other day on Drazen Petrovic. Portland strictly used him as a spot up shooter, and he became a bit disenchanted. He asked out, and then became a superstar with the Nets. Not saying Winston is Drazen, but would he thrive in a much reduced role?

With the amount of talent that should be available in the first round, there's no way I draft Winston.

With the amount of talent available in the first round, you wouldn't buy into the 2nd round to draft him?

I want a guard now. I'd consider drafting him with a FRP :D.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#379 » by DayofMourning » Thu Aug 6, 2020 3:00 am

Bunch of 2nd roundish tier PGs we could take a look at:

Payton Pritchard
Jahm'ius Ramsey
Devon Dotson
Malachi Flynn
Cassius Winston
Grant Riller
Tre Jones
Tyrell Terry

That's a tough call to separate those guys from eachother IMO.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=devon-dotson--malachi-flynn--tre-jones--grant-riller--cassius-winston
lastb1ckman
Ballboy

Post#380 » by lastb1ckman » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:03 pm

DayofMourning wrote:Bunch of 2nd roundish tier PGs we could take a look at:

Payton Pritchard
Jahm'ius Ramsey
Devon Dotson
Malachi Flynn
Cassius Winston
Grant Riller
Tre Jones
Tyrell Terry

That's a tough call to separate those guys from eachother IMO.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=devon-dotson--malachi-flynn--tre-jones--grant-riller--cassius-winston

How many of these guys are actually point guards? Several of them strike me as more like undersized 2s. I think if the Heat draft another guard like that, he'll have to immediately outplay Nunn or Herro. Otherwise, we probably won't see him for a long while.

Or maybe some of them are a decent enough defenders and playmakers to to cover for Herro and Nunn? You could play all of them at the same time in that case. That would be interesting. In that case, thats probably the difference makers for these guys.

Return to Miami Heat