"Timberwolves are currently the strongest team on Campazzo"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: "Timberwolves are currently the strongest team on Campazzo" 

Post#61 » by Jedzz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:46 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:ok VanKlomp. That's about enough. it's like needles in my side.

he's going to whip pass the Wolves into contention!

I didn't even say anything to you, I just posted a link to provide more info for anyone who would like more context of why Minnesota might be interested or how they heard about him. Sorry, I must've struck a nerve.....

I was speaking to Vanklomp obviously.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#62 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:50 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
ok VanKlomp. That's about enough. it's like needles in my side.

he's going to whip pass the Wolves into contention!

I like the idea of getting Campazzo for a reasonable contract and NOT drafting a PG. He by no means needs to be a replacement for J Mac. The two of them can Duke it out for minutes.

I would honestly rather they had a third true PG sitting in the G developing and not playing with the team. They can use one of the many guards they already have if they somehow have in injury issue or want three point guards on the floor for some reason. They have Culver still, Nowell maybe. Neither seems like true point guards to me but can pitch in if needed.

I think we can find minutes for both. Culver and Nowell IMO shouldn't be playing the point. I get your going all in on J Mac, but we should have a 3rd PG on the big team.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#63 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:52 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I like the idea of getting Campazzo for a reasonable contract and NOT drafting a PG. He by no means needs to be a replacement for J Mac. The two of them can Duke it out for minutes.

I would honestly rather they had a third true PG sitting in the G developing and not playing with the team. They can use one of the many guards they already have if they somehow have in injury issue or want three point guards on the floor for some reason. They have Culver still, Nowell maybe. Neither seems like true point guards to me but can pitch in if needed.

I think we can find minutes for both. Culver and Nowell IMO shouldn't be playing the point. I get your going all in on J Mac, but we should have a 3rd PG on the big team.

go for it. We'll revisit this later.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#64 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:06 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Odds are it will be a moot point. There are 30 NBA teams and a lot of things need to fall in place for him to sign with us. I've been hearing that we are all in on Edwards and Ball. If we do draft ball that pretty much will as you have pointed out relegate J Mac to obscurity right or wrong. I think J Mac, DLo and Campazzo could coexist.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#65 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:38 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think we can find minutes for both. Culver and Nowell IMO shouldn't be playing the point. I get your going all in on J Mac, but we should have a 3rd PG on the big team.

Odds are it will be a moot point. There are 30 NBA teams and a lot of things need to fall in place for him to sign with us. I've been hearing that we are all in on Edwards and Ball. If we do draft ball that pretty much will as you have pointed out relegate J Mac to obscurity right or wrong. I think J Mac, DLo and Campazzo could coexist.
Probably true. I just don't see a reason to pay for Compazzo's cost. It would be different if they weren't already dumpnig a max into the position and didn't have access to signing Jmac. The team does not need three PGs imo. Plenty of young PGs around to snatch up if injuries were ruining things. That's how JMac got his shot. I agree a top point draft pick will ruin JMacs minutes. But even bringing Compazzo over will have a similar impact. I don't think they would pay for Compazzo just to sit him. You can say they can coexist, but JMac needs more minutes if playing as a reserve, not less. His numbers climb impressively as his minutes climb. The third role isn't likely to be part of the gameplan. Just minor filler.
teksablabb
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#66 » by teksablabb » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:28 pm

Breakdown of Campazzo's game and how it may translate to the NBA...

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#67 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 3, 2020 8:22 pm

teksablabb wrote:Breakdown of Campazzo's game and how it may translate to the NBA...

That seems to me like an excellent explanatory video.

Few points.

A. He's got a really unique passing style that has been effective at least in the euro leagues. Court vision is also obviously there.
Even if that unique passing ends up effective in the NBA, the Timberwolves have already had a special passer with special court vision before. They found out a few things. That skill alone isn't enough from a PG in the NBA, they also need to be their own threat to score, which brings me to the next point B. But first they also found out they need other players on the floor cutting more, and ready for such no look passes. This style takes time to gel with teamates.

B. The video points out that he's not afraid to shoot from the 3 and that is paramount in Rosas system. However, the video aptly points out the distance is different and the NBA defenders will be different. I'll let others argue on whether NBA players defend as much as Euro players. But the size and abilities of those defending him may be different. So while his percentages seem good at 38% and 35% against taller/better opponents as the video points out, it also points out there should be some expectation those numbers could drop a little.

C. Other unknowns.
He's never played an 82 game schedule. Is 40 to 50 an average number of games he is used to and will that have any bearing on anything?

How much would he really cost the cap in the new season.?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#68 » by shangrila » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:28 am

teksablabb wrote:Breakdown of Campazzo's game and how it may translate to the NBA...

After watching that I've lost all interest.

His weaknesses seem far too glaring. He's been a below average finisher in the Euroleagues and there's no way that improves in the NBA (and probably gets worse). His shooting is average to good over there, but statistically he's streaky and his numbers are likely to dip in the NBA. And that poor offence will likely have an impact on his passing, which is his calling card right now.

But even that leaves questions. His full court, across the body passes are nice but I can see them getting disrupted by longer defenders. His other passes, which the video talks about being through tight windows? That sort of thing is only going to get harder in the NBA. And his defence, what I thought was his calling card, seems to be entirely effort based. Which is nice, but if you're getting blown past by Alexey Shved and Shane Larkin you have no hope of defending in the NBA.

So what's the point? Yeah, he might be a better passer than McLaughlin but if he's just as bad (or worse) defensively and significantly worse offensively...just stick with Jordan. Or sign someone else, I don't know, but sure as hell don't drop a huge part of the MLE on this guy because he seems like a flop.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#69 » by KGdaBom » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:35 am

shangrila wrote:

After watching that I've lost all interest.

His weaknesses seem far too glaring. He's been a below average finisher in the Euroleagues and there's no way that improves in the NBA (and probably gets worse). His shooting is average to good over there, but statistically he's streaky and his numbers are likely to dip in the NBA. And that poor offence will likely have an impact on his passing, which is his calling card right now.

But even that leaves questions. His full court, across the body passes are nice but I can see them getting disrupted by longer defenders. His other passes, which the video talks about being through tight windows? That sort of thing is only going to get harder in the NBA. And his defence, what I thought was his calling card, seems to be entirely effort based. Which is nice, but if you're getting blown past by Alexey Shved and Shane Larkin you have no hope of defending in the NBA.

So what's the point? Yeah, he might be a better passer than McLaughlin but if he's just as bad (or worse) defensively and significantly worse offensively...just stick with Jordan. Or sign someone else, I don't know, but sure as hell don't drop a huge part of the MLE on this guy because he seems like a flop.

Ouch that hurts. I have faith in your judgment so I guess I hope Campazzo is out. :o
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#70 » by packforfreedom » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:01 am

yeah his passing style lookes nice but, the rest meh. and if it's true that he has big problems on defense against bigger guards, which is basically everyone in the nba, i don't see him getting minutes here.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#71 » by minimus » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:08 am

packforfreedom wrote:yeah his passing style lookes nice but, the rest meh. and if it's true that he has big problems on defense against bigger guards, which is basically everyone in the nba, i don't see him getting minutes here.

I think current problem is his buyout and possible contract in NBA. His vision and passing skills are elite, but don't underestimate his competitiveness, also Campazzo is one of the best PG in Europe in defense. I think as backup PG he will be a good fit in NBA.
packforfreedom
Analyst

Post#72 » by packforfreedom » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:16 am

minimus wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:yeah his passing style lookes nice but, the rest meh. and if it's true that he has big problems on defense against bigger guards, which is basically everyone in the nba, i don't see him getting minutes here.

I think current problem is his buyout and possible contract in NBA. His vision and passing skills are elite, but don't underestimate his competitiveness, also Campazzo is one of the best PG in Europe in defense. I think as backup PG he will be a good fit in NBA.

The more I watch and read, the more I am against this signing. I appreciate his passing skills and vision, they are giving me Ricky vibes, I like that he can shoot some threes of the dribble and he might be a very competetive player. But the rest are red flags for me.
If he's struggling scoring at the rim in europe, he gonna fail big time trying this is in the nba. And on defense, if he can't defend Larkin and Shved, he cannot defend anybody consistently in the nba. Opposing teams will attack him on every possession and will take advantage of his lacking size and strenght. I'd be okay if we try him for the minimum, but everything more would be a huge risk and probably a big overpay.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#73 » by shangrila » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:47 am

minimus wrote:

I don't care how competitive he is, if he's physically incapable of guarding non-NBA guards he won't have a shot at the actual NBA guys.
minimus
RealGM

Post#74 » by minimus » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:51 am

shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:

I don't care how competitive he is, if he's physically incapable of guarding non-NBA guards he won't have a shot at the actual NBA guys.

Yeah, that is why you draft Wiggins over Jokić.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#75 » by shangrila » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:58 am

minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:

WTF are you talking about?
packforfreedom
Analyst

Post#76 » by packforfreedom » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:10 pm

minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:

No, that why you pick Wiggins and 1.93cm/85kg Wings aren't even in the draft :wink:
minimus
RealGM

Post#77 » by minimus » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:12 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:I don't care how competitive he is, if he's physically incapable of guarding non-NBA guards he won't have a shot at the actual NBA guys.

No, that why you pick Wiggins and 1.93cm/85kg Wings aren't even in the draft :wink:

:o
packforfreedom
Analyst

Post#78 » by packforfreedom » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:17 pm

come on you know what I mean. Physis matters in the NBA and it matters more than in Europe or other leagues. You can be a very skilled player but if you're too small and too weak, you're gonna have problems even making the nba. It's rare to see undersized players at their respective positions succeed in this league.
minimus
RealGM

Post#79 » by minimus » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:24 pm

packforfreedom wrote:come on you know what I mean. Physis matters in the NBA and it matters more than in Europe or other leagues. You can be a very skilled player but if you're too small and too weak, you're gonna have problems even making the nba. It's rare to see undersized players at their respective positions succeed in this league.

He is not a wing, he is strictly PG, lead ballhandler. I also don't know how you are referring to with 1.93cm/85kg, because he is 1.80cm/88kg.
packforfreedom
Analyst

Post#80 » by packforfreedom » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:30 pm

minimus wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:come on you know what I mean. Physis matters in the NBA and it matters more than in Europe or other leagues. You can be a very skilled player but if you're too small and too weak, you're gonna have problems even making the nba. It's rare to see undersized players at their respective positions succeed in this league.

He is not a wing, he is strictly PG, lead ballhandler. I also don't know how you are referring to with 1.93cm/85kg, because he is 1.80cm/88kg.

It was an example for an undersized player at a position. Undersized PGs have a hard time in the NBA so do undersized players at other positions. Most undersized PGs who have made it in the league are strong and I think Campazzo regardless of his skill will be physically overwhelmed in this league which will make him barely unplayable in my opinion.

But I might as well be wrong and Campazzo is some kind of a argentinian Chris Paul. In that case, i'd glady make him back up PG.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves