ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#2061 » by OGLife » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:03 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
OGLife wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can’t tell me he wouldn’t be a great fit here.

He reminds me of a lot of McCaw.

I also don't see how you can put him, Davis and Powell on the court all together. He will need to spend a year on the 905 and work on his shot ability and his tunnel vision.

I think he’s a better passer than he gets credit (for example he led the EYBL in AST/TO before Kentucky and was considered one of the best shooters in the class). He didn’t get to run much as an on-ball gaurd, due to Kentucky deciding to play through Hagans there (why idk Hagans is hot garbage). Could be another classic case of Kentucky hiding there players true talent (feels like it happens every year)

His handle and shot do need refinement but he’s got a pretty decent offensive celing if he hits. He’s a much better shooter/finisher than McCaw was. Would compare him to Jrue Holiday.

Throw in being arguably the best POA defender in the class and an effective defender off-ball too (if a little risk averse). Maxey has a lot of value in this class imo.

I guess if he works on his jumpshot I could see him maxing out as a Dion Waiters like ceiling. It could work as a 6th man.

I just believe we're maxed out at the 2 guard spot with Powell and Davis.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#2062 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:48 am

OGLife wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
OGLife wrote:He reminds me of a lot of McCaw.

I also don't see how you can put him, Davis and Powell on the court all together. He will need to spend a year on the 905 and work on his shot ability and his tunnel vision.

I think he’s a better passer than he gets credit (for example he led the EYBL in AST/TO before Kentucky and was considered one of the best shooters in the class). He didn’t get to run much as an on-ball gaurd, due to Kentucky deciding to play through Hagans there (why idk Hagans is hot garbage). Could be another classic case of Kentucky hiding there players true talent (feels like it happens every year)

His handle and shot do need refinement but he’s got a pretty decent offensive celing if he hits. He’s a much better shooter/finisher than McCaw was. Would compare him to Jrue Holiday.

Throw in being arguably the best POA defender in the class and an effective defender off-ball too (if a little risk averse). Maxey has a lot of value in this class imo.

I guess if he works on his jumpshot I could see him maxing out as a Dion Waiters like ceiling. It could work as a 6th man.

He’s a point imo not a 2, although it’s pretty arbitrary these days. Regardless, id want him initiating offense with the ball in his hands, and if your position is who you gaurd than Maxey should be fine 1-3 given his elite strength for a gaurd.

I don’t think Powell is a long term piece either or plays the exact role as Maxey (Powell isn’t a ballhandler)

And I’m evidently much higher on him than you guys. I see his ceiling as a Jrue or Mitchell type player and have him as #5 prospect in this class.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#2063 » by Psubs » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:51 am

OGLife wrote:I guess if he works on his jumpshot I could see him maxing out as a Dion Waiters like ceiling. It could work as a 6th man.

2 guard is possibly the easiest position to fill. You can use a PG that has good defense to play it these days.

The Raptors got FVV and Terence Davis undrafted, so I have confidence in them selecting another at #58 or undrafted again if they find one. They haven't really hit on big men in the 2nd round or undrafted FA, except for Boucher even though he played for GS.

Miller and RHJ are likely gone and have Paul Watson likely in the mix for a roster spot, so best big is what I'd take at #28 unless a dropper like OG makes it even farther to #28.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#2064 » by Dalek » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:47 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
OGLife wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

He’s a point imo not a 2, although it’s pretty arbitrary these days. Regardless, id want him initiating offense with the ball in his hands, and if your position is who you gaurd than Maxey should be fine 1-3 given his elite strength for a gaurd.

I don’t think Powell is a long term piece either or plays the exact role as Maxey (Powell isn’t a ballhandler)

And I’m evidently much higher on him than you guys. I see his ceiling as a Jrue or Mitchell type player and have him as #5 prospect in this class.

I don't know how close he would be to Mitchell and Jrue as far as shot creation, but I think Maxey's calling card will be his defense. Getting a guards who can be a point of attack defender is extremely difficult to find in the NBA. Maxey like Mitchell or Jrue does play well as a primary defender and can also work within a scheme well. He is a dog with a very good competitive streak and great wingspan that should show in games that he can be a disruptor.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2065 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 pm

Dalek wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
OGLife wrote:I guess if he works on his jumpshot I could see him maxing out as a Dion Waiters like ceiling. It could work as a 6th man.

I don't know how close he would be to Mitchell and Jrue as far as shot creation, but I think Maxey's calling card will be his defense. Getting a guards who can be a point of attack defender is extremely difficult to find in the NBA. Maxey like Mitchell or Jrue does play well as a primary defender and can also work within a scheme well. He is a dog with a very good competitive streak and great wingspan that should show in games that he can be a disruptor.

he's probably the best guard defending prospect since Mitchell tbh

Just so good there, especially if the NBA trend of drop coverage continues, it makes it so much easier for the big when your guard can get through screens consistently (see Bledsoe in MKE)
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2066 » by Psubs » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:04 am

Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#2067 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:59 am

Was really a no brainer decision for Terry he'll get picked 1st round

Sucks about Ayo though. He was one of the guys on my list for our 2nd
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2068 » by Psubs » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:25 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:

Was really a no brainer decision for Terry he'll get picked 1st round

Sucks about Ayo though. He was one of the guys on my list for our 2nd

Ya, I guess he wants to solidify himself in the 1st round.

Well, he'll go back with Kofi Cockburn, who just announced he'll be dropping out of the draft too.

Isaiah Joe and Joel Ayayi are going back to school.
GM89
Sophomore
And1: 203

Post#2069 » by GM89 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:08 pm

This guy must be a realgm raptor lurker lol.

Basically mentions all the popular prospects talked about in this thread like Bane, Riller, Reed, and Bay.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#2070 » by JShuttlesworth » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:47 pm

Damn, I like Dosunmu.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2071 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:10 am

No Isaiah Joe either

Read on Twitter
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#2072 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:45 am

Damn Joe too. Smh hopefully no one else
GM89
Sophomore
And1: 203

Post#2073 » by GM89 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:22 pm

Malik Fitts seems like an interesting prospect, is 6-8, 230lb with a 7'2' wing span. His game and physical profile remind me of Tobias Harris.

He tries to do a bit too much on offense but still managed to average 40% as a 3pt shooter on 4.6 tries a game. I feel he is being severely underrated because he is already 23, had to switch schools due to issues with the coach and being red-shirted later on. I think he would shine playing in a stable system.

"He started his career at South Florida and watched the coach who recruited him, Orlando Antigua, be fired mid-season amid an academic fraud investigation. The interim coach, Murry Bartow, then guided the team to a disastrous 1-16 finish. At the end of the season, Fitts made the decision to transfer closer to his home of Rancho Cucamonga in California and join the St. Mary’s Gaels."
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/7/23/21329290/malik-fitts-2020-nba-draft-scouting-report-saint-marys-atlanta-hawks-offense-defense-profile

Some videos showcasing his strengths and weaknesses:

Psubs
RealGM

Post#2074 » by Psubs » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:14 pm

GM89 wrote:Malik Fitts seems like an interesting prospect, is 6-8, 230lb with a 7'2' wing span. His game and physical profile remind me of Tobias Harris.

He tries to do a bit too much on offense but still managed to average 40% as a 3pt shooter on 4.6 tries a game. I feel he is being severely underrated because he is already 23, had to switch schools due to issues with the coach and being red-shirted later on. I think he would shine playing in a stable system.

"He started his career at South Florida and watched the coach who recruited him, Orlando Antigua, be fired mid-season amid an academic fraud investigation. The interim coach, Murry Bartow, then guided the team to a disastrous 1-16 finish. At the end of the season, Fitts made the decision to transfer closer to his home of Rancho Cucamonga in California and join the St. Mary’s Gaels."
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/7/23/21329290/malik-fitts-2020-nba-draft-scouting-report-saint-marys-atlanta-hawks-offense-defense-profile

Some videos showcasing his strengths and weaknesses:

If he's still there at #58, he's one of my top picks at that spot.

I think he's like Patrick Patterson with handles. He's be a great bench forward who could spot start.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2075 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2076 » by Psubs » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:14 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice! Tillman, Jalen Smith and Reed can't all be taken before #28 can they? If can get one of them and Malik Fitts at #58, we good.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2077 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:47 am

Garza going back to school too
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2078 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:53 pm

Jared Butler going back as well
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2079 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Nnaji Marshall’s Shot looks much improved here really his only major weakness
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2080 » by Psubs » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:18 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Nnaji Marshall’s Shot looks much improved here really his only major weakness

Nothing really jumps out. He looks decent at most things. As a senior, he could still improve FT shooting, but down on turnovers, shoot better from 3 (working on it on the clip) He may have to prove himself in the G-League first. He'd be a nice undrafted pickup. He might be better than Oshae Brissett. Would he beat out Paul Watson for a roster spot, not sure?

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/01/24/case-naji-marshall/

Maybe at #58, but would you take him over Malik Fitts? I guess if the scouts see his defense as being his calling card, then might be worth it. Also imagine drafting at #28 Zeke Nnaji and at #58 Naji Marshall. :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=89&v=gDVd3d_oayo&feature=emb_logo[/youtube]

Return to Toronto Raptors