ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#681 » by Bucksfan28 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Miss Americana, the Netflix Taylor Swift doc, is really well done.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#682 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:49 pm

Whiteman wrote:A few years late, I know, but season 1 of American Gods was way more fun than I expected.
And S2 was terrible.

Currently watching Banshee. Enjoyable volumes of testosterone to be had.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
ClassicJack
Lead Assistant
And1: 965

Post#683 » by ClassicJack » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:10 am

Just watched Palm Springs off the strength of this thread and really enjoyed it. Made me realize how much I am here for any time loop movie regardless of subject.

Also made me realize it's the first Hulu original I've ever liked. Think I'm about to quit their ass.
F*** Marc Davis, f*** Tim Donaghy and f*** David Stern as a staff, record label and as a mothaf**kin crew......and if you wanna be down with Stern then F*** YOU TOO!!! Stu Jackson f*** you too.....all you mothaf**kas F*** YOU TOO!!!!
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Post#684 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Just finished "Dark" on Netflix. This was some of the finest storytelling and vision that I've seen from a television show. There is so much that can be unwrapped. For me, it was more than just TV, but art.

Spoiler:
A few caveats, I'm not going to pretend I know how everyone and everything on the show is related, connected, all the versions of themselves, and in which worlds. As the story unfolded, I watched it through the lens of the human condition.
The final season initially had me skeptical. It was too complicated and messy and lost me with the trees instead of the forest. However, as they played with themes for each episode, it became clearer what was happening, until the ultimate end.
Overall, I haven't watched a show that demonstrated the struggle that people have with the life choices they made in such a creative and sophisticated way. "Everything is connected" seems like such a cliche and easy thing to say. To demonstrate its weight and the consequences is another.
Also, the light vs. dark, male vs. female, beginning, and end. In psychology, it's called splitting, and they put on a clinic in how it works in our psyche. Continuing to show how each character makes the same choices repeatedly was similar to how an addict's brain works. An addict just keeps making the same choices, trapped in a continuous loop of discomfort, pain relief, shame, and guilt, repeat. The universality of that pattern lives in all of us. We are all human, and we are all going to make mistakes, and how we respond to them can keep us in a type of negative feedback loop. In this case, the guy who invented time travel was trying to relieve his pain (attachment), created the time machine (his drug/pain reliever), and created two split worlds filled with the same people as his making choices based on shame and guilt (maladaptive traits).
Finally, I appreciated how they demonstrated how attachment is an obstacle in our lives. I know I struggle with it in so many ways. Whether through materialism or my feelings. There are subtle or strong feelings of abandonment that are rooted in my ego attachment. When Adam/Jonas/Eva /Martha let go of their fear of death and their shame for feeling love and connection, they evaporate into the ether. Each other is all we have. Cliche, yes. Still valid and more important now than ever.
These are just my musings and I could go on and on with other themes I felt they developed but I want to know what others think. I enjoyed this show and the emotion and thoughts it evoked in me.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#685 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:18 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever come on here for the sole purpose of crapping all over a show or movie, but this one was so absurd I couldn’t help myself.

I was excited to watch Hannibal but this show is just kind of ridiculous and disappointing. Trotting out the whole “tortured genius” trope for the millionth time feels super lazy along with the tag line #thisismydesign which makes me roll my eyes every time. I’m guessing they had a million t-shirts with this phrase on it ready for sale in the NBC gift shop before they released the show.

Also, I enjoy ridiculous and gratuitous violence in a show or movie when it’s tongue-in-cheek but every episode of this show sets gets more ridiculous with the crime scenes and they expect you to take it seriously. The “angel wings” episode is almost a parody of a network TV crime thriller and I kept waiting for them to turn and wink at the camera to let me know they were in on the joke.

I’m only 6 episodes in but this feels like a huge waste of Mads Mikkelson too. He just occasionally steps forward to say something vague and ominous before stepping back again into the background to brood. I’m out on this one.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,977

Post#686 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:35 pm

Hannibal is amazing and awesome and I can't wait for it to come back on, like, Netflix or something. Also the killer of the week trope and the This is My Design stuff goes away for good sometime late in the first season I think.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#687 » by Ill-yasova » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Hannibal is amazing and awesome and I can't wait for it to come back on, like, Netflix or something. Also the killer of the week trope and the This is My Design stuff goes away for good sometime late in the first season I think.

The killer of the week part was another issue that I forgot to include. I don’t know man, with the super gratuitous death scene shots it just feels like NBC was trying to do they’re best impression of what they thought HBO would do. The one with all of the tools sticking out of the guy could have been an SNL skit. I literally threw up my hands and said “come on now” and started laughing when I saw it. Shows are completely subjective so it probably just doesn’t work for me. Just not my thing I guess.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,722

Post#688 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:34 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Just finished "Dark" on Netflix. This was some of the finest storytelling and vision that I've seen from a television show. There is so much that can be unwrapped. For me, it was more than just TV, but art.

Spoiler:
A few caveats, I'm not going to pretend I know how everyone and everything on the show is related, connected, all the versions of themselves, and in which worlds. As the story unfolded, I watched it through the lens of the human condition.
The final season initially had me skeptical. It was too complicated and messy and lost me with the trees instead of the forest. However, as they played with themes for each episode, it became clearer what was happening, until the ultimate end.
Overall, I haven't watched a show that demonstrated the struggle that people have with the life choices they made in such a creative and sophisticated way. "Everything is connected" seems like such a cliche and easy thing to say. To demonstrate its weight and the consequences is another.
Also, the light vs. dark, male vs. female, beginning, and end. In psychology, it's called splitting, and they put on a clinic in how it works in our psyche. Continuing to show how each character makes the same choices repeatedly was similar to how an addict's brain works. An addict just keeps making the same choices, trapped in a continuous loop of discomfort, pain relief, shame, and guilt, repeat. The universality of that pattern lives in all of us. We are all human, and we are all going to make mistakes, and how we respond to them can keep us in a type of negative feedback loop. In this case, the guy who invented time travel was trying to relieve his pain (attachment), created the time machine (his drug/pain reliever), and created two split worlds filled with the same people as his making choices based on shame and guilt (maladaptive traits).
Finally, I appreciated how they demonstrated how attachment is an obstacle in our lives. I know I struggle with it in so many ways. Whether through materialism or my feelings. There are subtle or strong feelings of abandonment that are rooted in my ego attachment. When Adam/Jonas/Eva /Martha let go of their fear of death and their shame for feeling love and connection, they evaporate into the ether. Each other is all we have. Cliche, yes. Still valid and more important now than ever.
These are just my musings and I could go on and on with other themes I felt they developed but I want to know what others think. I enjoyed this show and the emotion and thoughts it evoked in me.

I just started season 2 yesterday. I had to read a season 1 recap three times - twice before I started season two, and then once more after watching episode 1. In addition, I have to read the recaps of each episode online...but it's worth it. Such a weird, wonderful, complex show.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,977

Post#689 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:00 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Hannibal is amazing and awesome and I can't wait for it to come back on, like, Netflix or something. Also the killer of the week trope and the This is My Design stuff goes away for good sometime late in the first season I think.

The killer of the week part was another issue that I forgot to include. I don’t know man, with the super gratuitous death scene shots it just feels like NBC was trying to do they’re best impression of what they thought HBO would do. The one with all of the tools sticking out of the guy could have been an SNL skit. I literally threw up my hands and said “come on now” and started laughing when I saw it. Shows are completely subjective so it probably just doesn’t work for me. Just not my thing I guess.

The show was just on the wrong network. At the time no one could believe it was on network TV. Maybe the violence/gore is why it didn't hit with a large audience. Those that love it, though, really love it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,722

Post#690 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:10 pm

Watched Athlete A on Netflix last night. Good god was Nassar an absolute monster. And they tried to cover it up! My wife was in tears when they gave the victim statements in court.

As an aside, Nassar could have gone on abusing girls for years had it not been for the Indy Star. (could probably say the same about priests in the Boston area if not for the Boston Globe). Read local newspapers.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#691 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:50 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:Just finished "Dark" on Netflix. This was some of the finest storytelling and vision that I've seen from a television show. There is so much that can be unwrapped. For me, it was more than just TV, but art.

Spoiler:

I just started season 2 yesterday. I had to read a season 1 recap three times - twice before I started season two, and then once more after watching episode 1. In addition, I have to read the recaps of each episode online...but it's worth it. Such a weird, wonderful, complex show.

Glad to hear you’re sticking with it. Again, not all of it made sense to me but that just means I could actually go back and rewatch it, unpeeling the onion. Definitely not a show for everyone; and that’s okay.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#692 » by Licensed to Il » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:26 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

Spoiler:

Glad to hear you’re sticking with it. Again, not all of it made sense to me but that just means I could actually go back and rewatch it, unpeeling the onion. Definitely not a show for everyone; and that’s okay.

Thanks for the reminder, Ive wanted to start this for a while now and kept forgetting.

Is it German with subtitles? I actually prefer subtitles on mystery shows so I don’t misunderstand key dialogue.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#693 » by Licensed to Il » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:26 pm

Anyone watch “Knives Out?”

Pretty fun.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#694 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:29 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

Thanks for the reminder, Ive wanted to start this for a while now and kept forgetting.

Is it German with subtitles? I actually prefer subtitles on mystery shows so I don’t misunderstand key dialogue.

Yes, German with English subtitles.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#695 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:54 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:Anyone watch “Knives Out?”

Pretty fun.

I enjoyed it quite a bit
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#696 » by Bucksfan28 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:04 am

Midway through S3 of Ozark. It operates at like 90% of the show its hyped to be, if that makes sense. But the end of S2 through where Im at currently has its stock trending upward.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#697 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:31 am

Bucksfan28 wrote:Midway through S3 of Ozark. It operates at like 90% of the show its hyped to be, if that makes sense. But the end of S2 through where Im at currently has its stock trending upward.

Kind of surprised they are only doing one more season. 14 episodes split 7/7 so I guess 2 shortened seasons.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#698 » by Lippo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:24 pm

Anyone else watching Yellowstone?

Its alright - Cole Hauser and Kelly Riley are good .. kinda has a Wind River feel w/o Renner carrying it......Not much on these days

Miss the days of weekly Breaking Bad, GOT, Spartacus, Banshee, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Black Sails, Hell on Wheels, Penny Dreadful and Boardwalk Empire episodes
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#699 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:51 pm

Lippo wrote:Anyone else watching Yellowstone?

Its alright - Cole Hauser and Kelly Riley are good .. kinda has a Wind River feel w/o Renner carrying it......Not much on these days

Miss the days of weekly Breaking Bad, GOT, Spartacus, Banshee, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Black Sails, Hell on Wheels, Penny Dreadful and Boardwalk Empire episodes

I like Yellowstone. Costner is always good and so is a lot of the other cast.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#700 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Lippo wrote:Anyone else watching Yellowstone?

I like Yellowstone. Costner is always good and so is a lot of the other cast.
I've heard good things but I don't think I've ever had a service that had access to Paramount network.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks