MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
61%
James
25%
Harden
3%
Leonard
0%
Doncic
4%
Jokic
1%
Tatum
1%
Davis
1%
Butler
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
2%

Total votes: 430

Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 799

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1441 » by Packbuckman » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:57 pm

Kubbas wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:
He almost snapped his leg

Giannis was on the sidelines jumping around the next game ha was fine dude. That’s me thing about Giannis he’s taken some bad falls and landed on ankles before and you think he got really hurt but he gets up and stays in the game. They held him out for only for precautionary reasons he wanted to play. Giannis is easily the MVP!

just stop it dude

Bud said that he would miss weeks for sure if the nba would continue

look it up, youre just plain wrong

You literally took him seriously lmfao
I Watched the next games and Giannis was there jumping up and down cheering for his teammates he was fine dude lol
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,027

Post#1442 » by Magic Giannison » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:07 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
Kubbas wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
Giannis was on the sidelines jumping around the next game ha was fine dude. That’s me thing about Giannis he’s taken some bad falls and landed on ankles before and you think he got really hurt but he gets up and stays in the game. They held him out for only for precautionary reasons he wanted to play. Giannis is easily the MVP!

just stop it dude

Bud said that he would miss weeks for sure if the nba would continue

look it up, youre just plain wrong

You literally took him seriously lmfao
I Watched the next games and Giannis was there jumping up and down cheering for his teammates he was fine dude lol

There we literally reports of Giannis practicing and getting ready for the next game....
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,666

Post#1443 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:07 am

Giannis currently has a 31.82 PER for the season, with 7 games left to play. That matches Wilt for the best PER season in NBA history.

Hoping Giannis can get the record. Perhaps the first 32 PER season in league history?
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,709

Post#1444 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:26 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:Giannis currently has a 31.82 PER for the season, with 7 games left to play. That matches Wilt for the best PER season in NBA history.

Hoping Giannis can get the record. Perhaps the first 32 PER season in league history?

Imagine the Bucks having nothing left to play for after tonight will prevent him from setting a new mark. Incredible season regardless.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Suprasc1
Senior
And1: 271

Post#1445 » by Suprasc1 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:25 am

Giannis can't win you a game without a layup.

LeBron is the MVP
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,180

Post#1446 » by Statlanta » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:54 am

Suprasc1 wrote:Giannis can't win you a game without a layup.

LeBron is the MVP

LeBron couldn't do the same until 2017.

James Harden is the actual MVP.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
smythep
Sophomore
And1: 159

Post#1447 » by smythep » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:42 pm

Statlanta wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:Giannis can't win you a game without a layup.

LeBron is the MVP

LeBron couldn't do the same until 2017.

James Harden is the actual MVP.

It's Giannis: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/edit#gid=337003795

First place votes:
Giannis - 29
Lebron - 3
Harden - 0
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#1448 » by SeniorWalker » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:18 pm

Giannis is clearly the MVP and any other talk is very foolish. Nobody else is close.

However, it has become clearer than ever to me that he is not the best player in the NBA. I really have very high hopes for him and as a 25 year old not yet in his prime, he should develop his game to becoming the undisputed best player of his time. But right now he is unreliable at the end of games. His midrange game is quite weak and the Bucks as a result have to try to play through Middleton and company to generate offense against tight half court defenses. That is not going to fly deep in the playoffs. Unfortunately it puts a ceiling on what we can expect from this team. The bucks will probably not win the title this year and it possible they may not come out of the east (I do think they will but its not a given like it should be from a team playing at a historically great level). It will be no one else's fault but Giannis because his weakness is what allows the team offense to be shut down late game when they just need someone to get an easy basket. Most of the other elite teams have this in LeBron, Embiid, Kawhi, etc.

I really hope after they go down that he doesn't blame his teammates and leave Milwaukee because it is clear to me that his weakness is what is holding back that team from winning a title, depsite being a massively impactful two way player. Hate to say it but its true. If he had even a decent midrange game even last year the Bucks probably win the title. Until he gets one, he won't win as "the guy".

Bucks are making the same mistake the Rockets did a few years ago, not being able to adapt when teams counter their gameplay, or just refusing to and Giannis limitations are a big part of it.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#1449 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:31 pm

Lebron still doesn't have a reliable mid-range game or FT efficiency. Where were the people suggesting he wasn't the undisputed best player for a 3-4 year stretch before he won his first title?
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#1450 » by scrabbarista » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:41 pm

Here's what my formula has before the games start today. I didn't do the fancy fonts and stuff, because I want to turn on the Raptors game.

1. Antetokounmpo - 24.5
2. Harden - 17.9
3. James - 17.1
4. Leonard - 15.9
5. Tatum - 15.0

6. Gobert - 14.5
7. Davis - 14.3
8. Jokic - 14.3
9. Lillard - 14.3
10. Paul - 13.6

11. Butler - 12.9
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,666

Post#1451 » by HotRocks34 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:27 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:Giannis currently has a 31.82 PER for the season, with 7 games left to play. That matches Wilt for the best PER season in NBA history.

Giannis has a 32.0 PER as of today (6 games left) according to BBREF, following his performance against the Rockets:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_season.html

6 more games to see if he can become the first person in NBA history to have a 32+ PER season.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#1452 » by vagelis » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:12 pm

Sometimes I wonder what is offensive and what is defensive foul watching Antetokounmpo playing in NBA. He does so many offensive fouls and goes to the line. The defender has no chance to guard him if he gets pushed with arms and elbows and gets a defensive foul.
Traveling that are not called is also an issue. But this happens a lot in NBA for specific players.
Referees treat him good for sure.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,027

Post#1453 » by Magic Giannison » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:36 am

According to like 1/3rd of the votes we got in Giannis is by far the MVP and DPOY
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,394

Post#1454 » by RB34 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:50 am

AD for Lakers MVP?
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#1455 » by LesGrossman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:15 pm

LeBron "the Choker" James "deserved" more than four MVPs? For what?

WHat about Kobe, did he maybe deserve more than one MVP? That is the greatest joke in recent Basketball history. Man has five titles as the key guy. What about Dirk? Timmy? LeBron with his showboating but choking when it matters should be more than happy with four MVP's imho.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#1456 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Aug 4, 2020 3:07 pm

vagelis wrote:Sometimes I wonder what is offensive and what is defensive foul watching Antetokounmpo playing in NBA. He does so many offensive fouls and goes to the line. The defender has no chance to guard him if he gets pushed with arms and elbows and gets a defensive foul.
Traveling that are not called is also an issue. But this happens a lot in NBA for specific players.

The real question is do you apply the same rule you apply to Giannis as other players? Other players are allowed that extra step but the difference with Giannis is he is so long that that extra step is like 8 feet if he is jumping off. Same question for him attacking the rim? Does he get punished because when a defender slaps his arm, it does nothing or he is so strong that the force knocks over a little player whereas if the roles were reversed Giannis wouldn't fall back and it wouldn't be a charge?

It's a serious question. Do you think rules should be applied differently to Giannis because it is almost an unfair advantage?

Shaq/Lebron have the same problem where yeah they get away with stuff, but they also get hacked more than most players.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#1457 » by vagelis » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:47 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
vagelis wrote:Sometimes I wonder what is offensive and what is defensive foul watching Antetokounmpo playing in NBA. He does so many offensive fouls and goes to the line. The defender has no chance to guard him if he gets pushed with arms and elbows and gets a defensive foul.

The real question is do you apply the same rule you apply to Giannis as other players? Other players are allowed that extra step but the difference with Giannis is he is so long that that extra step is like 8 feet if he is jumping off. Same question for him attacking the rim? Does he get punished because when a defender slaps his arm, it does nothing or he is so strong that the force knocks over a little player whereas if the roles were reversed Giannis wouldn't fall back and it wouldn't be a charge?

It's a serious question. Do you think rules should be applied differently to Giannis because it is almost an unfair advantage?

Shaq/Lebron have the same problem where yeah they get away with stuff, but they also get hacked more than most players.

I think the rules must be the same for all players. When a player travels it has to be called. The extra step is traveling and it is not allowed to most of the players except some league favorites.
As for the offensive fouls I think in most of the cases Antetokounmpo is the one who uses his arms to attack the rim not the defenders. I think it is illegal to push defenders with arms and elbows and for sure you cannot go to the line after pushing a defender.
Shaqeel used his body not his arms. And if I remember well, the defenders were allowed to push back Shaq without a defensive foul to be called.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#1458 » by SeniorWalker » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:05 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Lebron still doesn't have a reliable mid-range game or FT efficiency. Where were the people suggesting he wasn't the undisputed best player for a 3-4 year stretch before he won his first title?

LeBron doesnt have a great jumper but he does have a serviceable one. Gianni on the other hand not only has neither, he doesnt yet have the confidence to take the shot at the end of games. I watch him consistently and he shies away from the ball because of this.

Please know, i very much like the kid and think he has an insane ceiling, possibly even the goat ceiling above LeBron (and MJ) so no hate here whatsoever. Just calling it as i see it.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,074

Post#1459 » by Sgt Major » Wed Aug 5, 2020 10:26 am

Does anyone have this type of charts covering other teams?
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#1460 » by AussieBuck » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:29 am

Sgt Major wrote:Image

Does anyone have this type of charts covering other teams?

That's what the Giannis one looked like last season, maybe Middleton is a separated from the pack this season.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter

Return to The General Board