2020 Draft Thread

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#1661 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 am

Yeah, I've seen Jeremy Tyler and Onjgen Kuzmic do that too
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#1662 » by Onus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:18 am

TB wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:It’s so great to be in love....I found him and now I’ve fallen hard.

Abdoulaye N’doye 6’7” French guard. Great shooting numbers, steals the ball, great handles and vision, pinpoint looks, has major calm and swagger. He’s mostly a point guard. But size of a wing.

I love this dude and if he somehow slips to us, damn! Oh and he’s 6’7” Oh and a 7’2” wingspan!!!

After watching the highlights, I see similarities in play style to Paul George, Jimmy Buckets, Batum type players. He's not as big or athletic as PG3, probably not the IQ and effort of a Jimmy.

I'm officially intrigued.

International picks most likely get overdrafted this year as teams will think they can draft and stash them saving money.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#1663 » by cdubbz » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:25 pm

if Cassius Stanley slips to the 2nd round I'd love for Warriors to grab him. Big guard who can shoot, drive and is a solid scorer.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1664 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:53 pm

cdubbz wrote:if Cassius Stanley slips to the 2nd round I'd love for Warriors to grab him. Big guard who can shoot, drive and is a solid scorer.

That guy has a ridiculous vertical.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1665 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

After watching the highlights, I see similarities in play style to Paul George, Jimmy Buckets, Batum type players. He's not as big or athletic as PG3, probably not the IQ and effort of a Jimmy.

I'm officially intrigued.

International picks most likely get overdrafted this year as teams will think they can draft and stash them saving money.

I wouldn’t want to stash N’doye. I’d want him over right away and see if he can’t break into the 10-12 man rotation.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#1666 » by ShayDee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:00 pm

I was browsing the hawks discord and came across some interesting information. You can take it with a little grain of salt but there seems to be this guy on an Atlanta team forum board that knows someone that knows someone in the hawks FO and they were able to get some gist from him. I'm not sure how accurate the info is but if there is a whole thread with 134 pages dedicated to the dude then maybe there is substance?

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/431653-ask-supes/page/133/?tab=comments#comment-1028094

New Info:

1. Hawks are confident that if the draft ended today, they would be able to make their selection.

2. I figured this was the case and I was right, while Issac Okoro is high on the Hawks board, he's not top 3 high for us. In fact, we think he's a 6-10 range pick. This is why directs matter more than the marker chatter.

3. Hawks #1 player is Edwards. Hawks are very high on two player outside of Edwards. Obi Toppin and LAMELO BALL, Yes, LaMelo. I am not sure if this is real hype but I was told these two are 1/2/3 for the Hawks.

4. The biggest shock I got was Tyrese Haliburton was #4 on the Hawks big board over Okoro who I thought was a clear #2 based on previous conversations. It's clear, Golden State isn't the only team drinking the kool aid on Haliburton. People really really like his tape and love his analytics. He said, Haliburton is a can't miss role player with potential to be more down the road.

5. Hawks really like Deni A, Okoro, and Wiseman but have questions with all three to the point that they would take them but not so high. With Deni, they have questions about his position and many thinks he doesn't have one but is good enough to be a Swiss knife. Okoro, offensive polish and shooting. Wiseman, modern fit and shooting. Hawks tend to be higher on their upside than most outside of Wiseman where's it's parallel.

6. He was told that FA will impact the Hawks decision and who's available and for what cost.

7. Hawks have interest in Devin Vassell, Poku, and Cole Anthony as well. The Hawks are not as high at this stage on Hayes as they were in May. Travis really likes Cole Anthony is what he was told.

8. He was told the Hawks have interest in a PG, a sharpshooter and SF and thinks the depth of those positions is making them consider two 2nd rounders. He was told the Hawks are going to be major players in the buying a 2nd round pick train. He was told the Hawks want to really build up the G-League team this upcoming season. The names he heard was:

Killian Tillie

Grant Riller

Sam Merrill

Malachi Flynn

Payton Pritchard

Tyler Bey

Cassius Winston

Devon Dotson

Desmond Bane

Tres Tickle

Corey Kispert

Robert Woodard

9. The last four things he mentioned was more than ever, guys who entered last year will have an edge on the guys this year because the Hawks have eye tape and game-tape to see where those players improved. I was told this is why Atlanta is sky-high on Toppin.

10. He was told the Hawks want to be players in 2021 in the chance for Giannis and want to have the assets in place to trade for a major piece at some point to build a contender around Trae Young and maybe Cam Reddish or John Collins. The only for sure thing right now is Young but they are sky-high on Reddish as well.

11. The Hawks want another sharp but minutes will be everything. I was told the Hawks really want Joe Harris and they could target Buddy Hield.

12. He said the Hawks will target a lot of FAs but most of these players will be looking for short term deals and minutes. Atlanta doesn't have a lot of minutes. He also was told Atlanta will be bargain hunting and willing to overpay as well.

13. What I didn't hear from him was PG interest. No Melton, Dunn, Napier talk. He didn't mention us and serious trade interest. He did mention the Hawks want to build up their G-League, I think I mentioned that earlier though. He said that's the big focus. They really want to use the G-League like Miami and Toronto uses it. To develop legit NBA players to replace vets who move on. Right now, the Hawks G-league is bare bones. Hell, the main team's bench is horrendous

I did get some bubble info I can share which is trade talk.

1. While Knicks explored trades for Zach LaVine, they aren't interested in the price. A 1st rounder and a role player. I was told the Nets are. Prince could be on the move again aka. I was told if the price is met, he will be traded. I will say, the Knicks just didn't want to the deal. The Nets are also in trade talks for Buddy Hield as well but there is a preference for LaVine.

2. Nets coaching hire is on hold but watch for Mike D'Antoni. They like the fit of that style for Kyrie, KD, and Jordan. I still think this is going to be someone that Kyrie likes a lot but the Nets want a creative mind more than anything. Not any system BS but make it work around insanely talented offensive players.

3. I was told that OKC has put off rebuilding for another year unless they get offers they can't refuse which they haven't gotten yet.

4. Miami is really angling to sign Giannis and Dipo to join Jimmy and Bam. I was told, they are higher than Dallas who the media loves. While thi is my own opinion, people need to watch for us.

5. Portland loves Ariza but really wants a PF bad. I was told that they are open to moving everyone but Lillard, C.J. and Nurkic for that said player. He was told they are one of the biggest teams interested in a John Collins deal but they are targeting more than Collins as they obviously don't have enough for Collins. I was told they really want Lauri M from Chicago and would love to SnT for Davis Bertans. They would like to sign Christian Wood as well. My belief is that they sign someone like Dario Saric in FA. It's a weak position right now and almost everyone is under-performing other than the stars.

6. Of the up and coming teams, watch for Phoenix is what he was told. He said they been targeting Cole Anthony and think he's the perfect 6th man. They did just draft Ty Jerome who there are people who still believe he's the PG of the future there, they really want a dynamic 6th man to join Oubre.

7. If he falls, Vassell and the Spurs are the pair. A sleeper I was told for the Spurs is James Wiseman. He won't fall that far but don't be surprised if they moved up in the lottery. They have him at #1 I was told and have been doing their homework on him.

8. While I don't know if landing Thibs changing this but I was told the New York Knicks are locked into Ball like Atlanta was to Hunter and Reddish last year. I actually think they could land him unless they drop to 10 or something.

I think some of the important bits are, not many teams or rather about 3-4 teams might be looking to trade up. He mentions the Spurs, Suns and knicks. He says the spurs love Vassell but the Spurs main target is Wiseman. Knicks seem to be all in on Lamelo and would probably do all they can to get him, unless they fall to maybe 10.

The Hawks are very high on Toppin and Ball, obviously Edwards is #1 on their board, Haliburton #4 for them. They also kind of interested in Poku, Vassell and LOL Cole Anthony (I have honestly also thought about a backcourt of Cole and Trae would be very intriguing). Alot of teams higher on Toppin than Wiseman, Wiseman might actually drop to 5 if we are there. non-bubble teams have Edwards #1 guy.

Hawks also want to be players in Giannis lol, also only Trae is a sure fire piece for a championship roster, I think their 2nd sure fire player might be either Cam reddish/John Collins so I think they might be shopping Collins around, they very high on Reddish (I am as well).

The news on Lavine about knicks and nets, Bulls want a first and role player but NYX don't want to bite on that deal while nets are in talks. Nets don't want a system player, they want talented offensive players all around (Maybe KD and Kyrie having a say in this). OKC not trading anyone unless they get an offer they can't refuse, so they might not rebuild next year as well. Miami want Dipo and obviously Giannis so they might create space for 21, Dallas want Giannis as well. Portland want a competent PF, so willing to trade anything outside of Dame, CJ and Nurk. PHX want Cole Anthony as 6th man, along with Oubre

With this, I think we should all in on Wiseman if we can't get Edwards. If the Spurs see something with him then they know something other teams and Blog boys don't. Worst case we play him short mins like clippers use Zubac or Lakers use McGee. I don't know if I would live with myself if we pass up on him and he turns into the next David Robinson that lead spurs to Championships like the aftermath of Kings fans with Luka. Also please I hope they don't move out of top 5 unless they get a substantial offer
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#1667 » by TB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:08 pm

I'm starting to agree with a few posters above about Cassius Stanley.

He's got some negatives, but not nearly enough of them to be dropping like he seemingly is.

To me his game has moments that look like Monta, with a little less straight ahead speed and craftiness at the hoop finishing, but obviously more vertical ability. The fluidity in movement, compact but inconsistent shot, sloppy but improving handles, elite transition play.... i just see alot of similarities.

I also don't see any flags from an effort, character, intangibles side. All and all I wouldn't be against him as late 1st or 2nd round pick.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#1668 » by cdubbz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:11 pm

TB wrote:I'm starting to agree with a few posters above about Cassius Stanley.

He's got some negatives, but not nearly enough of them to be dropping like he seemingly is.

To me his game has moments that look like Monta, with a little less straight ahead speed and craftiness at the hoop finishing, but obviously more vertical ability. The fluidity in movement, compact but inconsistent shot, sloppy but improving handles, elite transition play.... i just see alot of similarities.

I also don't see any flags from an effort, character, intangibles side. All and all I wouldn't be against him as late 1st or 2nd round pick.

started liking his game last year for his senior year. he played with pippen & Kenyon Martins son. Going to Duke was a great choice too. You're right about character and effort - no worries or concerns there.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#1669 » by The Maestro » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 am

ShayDee wrote:With this, I think we should all in on Wiseman if we can't get Edwards. If the Spurs see something with him then they know something other teams and Blog boys don't. Worst case we play him short mins like clippers use Zubac or Lakers use McGee. I don't know if I would live with myself if we pass up on him and he turns into the next David Robinson that lead spurs to Championships like the aftermath of Kings fans with Luka. Also please I hope they don't move out of top 5 unless they get a substantial offer

Wiseman should be the pick. He’s the best prospect to have if we don’t end up trading the pick and he’s the best prospect to have for trade purposes. Either way he’s the guy.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1670 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:43 pm

The Maestro wrote:Wiseman should be the pick. He’s the best prospect to have if we don’t end up trading the pick and he’s the best prospect to have for trade purposes. Either way he’s the guy.

He is. If. His floor is lower than the other players up there but his ceiling is up near the top players ... so big risk for a possible big reward.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#1671 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm

Just take Wiseman. If he's considered a long term investment by the rest of the league, then that means his value is viable beyond 1 season even if he doesn't impress right off the bat. That means he becomes a good trading chip regardless. There is not one rookie in this draft that you can say will help more than a vet the Warriors can get in free agency. So if that's the case, then draft for value while hoping said draftee can help. Enter the free agent market for help. Simple.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1672 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:32 am

killmongrel wrote:Just take Wiseman. If he's considered a long term investment by the rest of the league, then that means his value is viable beyond 1 season even if he doesn't impress right off the bat. That means he becomes a good trading chip regardless. There is not one rookie in this draft that you can say will help more than a vet the Warriors can get in free agency. So if that's the case, then draft for value while hoping said draftee can help. Enter the free agent market for help. Simple.

Unless the inside information says that he's selfish, stupid, doesn't work, and doesn't like contact.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1673 » by ShayDee » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:01 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Just take Wiseman. If he's considered a long term investment by the rest of the league, then that means his value is viable beyond 1 season even if he doesn't impress right off the bat. That means he becomes a good trading chip regardless. There is not one rookie in this draft that you can say will help more than a vet the Warriors can get in free agency. So if that's the case, then draft for value while hoping said draftee can help. Enter the free agent market for help. Simple.

Unless the inside information says that he's selfish, stupid, doesn't work, and doesn't like contact.

He doesn't work? His offensive arsenal (which people are underrating btw) for a 7fter alone shows he put in a tremendous amount of work. He legit has a midrange that people have to guard and would be extremely lethal in our system. He can also beat other bigs off the dribble so if they push up to guard him he could blow by or at least get Fts
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#1674 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Aug 1, 2020 9:00 am

Bold prediction, Warriors wind up with the 2nd pick in the draft. Warriors get a 2021 2nd draft pick for trading down to the 4th pick in the draft. The Warriors then give up a 2021 1st round pick to trade up to the 3rd pick in the Draft. Warriots draft Wiseman the guy they wanted all along and were lyining about. Wiseman is not ready and spends the year in Gleague but eventually does make several all-star teams.

The best player in the draft is not drafted in the top 5 picks. The 3rd best player in the Draft is not drafted in the top 10 picks. Wiseman ends up being the 4th best player in the draft.

Warriors win the 2021 championship in a weak field.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1675 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:23 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

He doesn't work? His offensive arsenal (which people are underrating btw) for a 7fter alone shows he put in a tremendous amount of work. He legit has a midrange that people have to guard and would be extremely lethal in our system. He can also beat other bigs off the dribble so if they push up to guard him he could blow by or at least get Fts

I didn't say he doesn't work.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#1676 » by cdubbz » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:21 am

I would ask Wiseman how he envisions his career and what type of game he wants to have. He is raw and can turn on several different ways — How he envisions himself is important. I would also ask him how he envisions his rookie season with a championship team.

I can get excited for him it’s just difficult to see mentally how tough he is. Warrior championship rookies don’t get much love or training. Can he mentally get through a season with championship dreams on the line? Can he pick himself back up after fouling out, going 0-8, several DNP-CD?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1677 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:33 pm

cdubbz wrote:I would ask Wiseman how he envisions his career and what type of game he wants to have. He is raw and can turn on several different ways — How he envisions himself is important. I would also ask him how he envisions his rookie season with a championship team.

I can get excited for him it’s just difficult to see mentally how tough he is. Warrior championship rookies don’t get much love or training. Can he mentally get through a season with championship dreams on the line? Can he pick himself back up after fouling out, going 0-8, several DNP-CD?

Will he go back in the post after a Gasol elbow to the neck doesn't get called as a foul, and then again, and then again, and again.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#1678 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:09 pm

Gasol just stands at the 3 point line, he ain't bout it bout it throwin bows at people
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#1679 » by DAWill1128 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:42 pm

The Lakers struggled the other day against the Raptors length. LeBron and Davis were walled off on drives to the hoop with the depth of size the Raptors have. LeBron has always struggled with interior size inside, that's a great reason to take Wiseman.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1680 » by ShayDee » Tue Aug 4, 2020 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Trade down with Boston for 14, 26 and 30 if we at 5 or 14, 26 and a future 1st.

Take Bey at 14 and Bane at 26

Mle Gasol

TPE Rudy Gay

Win 65 games, Steph MVP

Parade, Steph FMVP, Top 10 all time

Return to Golden State Warriors