ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#661 » by captain green » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:12 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:Assuming Kanter and Poirier leave after next year and Theis is re-signed, the big men on the roster for the near future are looking like Theis, Timelord, and Grant. Obviously team will pick BPA but I think there's a strong possibility of drafting a forward in this draft.

Precious Achiuwa has really caught my attention. He's remarkably similar to Bam Adebayo coming out of college with better defense, mobility and versatility on defense, but with a raw offensive game. He's a freak athlete and moves like a wing but he's about 30 lbs smaller than Bam. He's ready day 1 to be an impact defender and has absurd switch ability. His ceiling is to be 1st team all defense, or even just what Bam is currently which is arguably the best defender in the league on Giannis. Has elite traits to be an elite rim runner and to develop into a solid offensive contributor. Here are the comparisons:

Precious vs Bam
Height: 6'9" 6'10"
Weight: 225 250
Wingspan: 7'2" 7'3"

PPG: 15.8 13.0
RPG: 10.8 8.0
APG: 1.0 0.8
BPG: 1.9 1.5
TOPG: 2.8 1.7
FG%: 49.3 59.9
3PT%: 32.5 -----
FT% 59.9 65.3
ORtg: 101.3 123.7
DRtg: 82.5 95.8
PER: 23.3 22.0
TS%: 53.4 62.4
eFG%: 51.1 59.9
WS/40: .187 .196
BPM: 5.8 8.2

Here's a really good breakdown with Mike Schmitz:

;t=1894s

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He's just a freak athlete.

So far for my money he is the guy I want at 17 in fact do to our draft position he is my number 1 pick, but I'm still reviewing alot of other players. But out if the players mentioned here I like him the best.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#662 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:41 pm

I like Achiuwa a lot for just raw ability. What really intrigues me with him is the ability to switch on defense. I think he's someone who could truly defend all 5 spots. I love the defensive upside with him. Offensively, I think the issue is getting him to buy into a role. He plays like a wing on offense sometimes and that's just not what his game will be at the NBA level. I think he's got to focus on the corner 3 heavy and then off of that his handles will come into play attacking closeouts. People talk about the turnovers but I think that's a result of too great an offensive role. I think if he gets to the NBA and has a smaller role to focus on that will take care of itself.

I've been pretty strong on Kira Lewis Jr. and Patrick Williams as my top 2 realistic guys to fall to #17, but I'd bet on both going higher. I have Achiuwa as my #3 player. He's kind of in the same boat where in mocks he's usually gone by #17 but it's a realistic possibility he's there.

I think the ultimate swing trait with him is the shot. If he can be a good catch & shoot guy from the corner I think he can be a Jerami Grant type PF. If he never develops a shot, playing him as a 4 creates a spacing issue. Would require a shooting C, which is difficult to find. But he's definitely got big defensive potential as a 4, IMO. If he can't develop a shot and we don't find a legit shooting 5 to offset that, then I think you have to try and develop him as a Bam Adebayo type undersized 5. And I do think he's got the defensive chops to do that in spurts if he buys into that as his role.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#663 » by djFan71 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Ideal, semi-realistic world for me is MEM gets knocked out and we trade up from 26/30 so we have something like 14 & 17-21 range and get a shot at 2 of:

Tyrese Maxey
Aaron Nesmith
Kira Lewis
Patrick Williams
Precious Achiuwa
Saddiq Bey
Theo Maledon
RJ Hampton
Jahmi'us Ramsey

Not in any order, since I'm not that good a draft guy. :)
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#664 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:08 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:Assuming Kanter and Poirier leave after next year and Theis is re-signed, the big men on the roster for the near future are looking like Theis, Timelord, and Grant. Obviously team will pick BPA but I think there's a strong possibility of drafting a forward in this draft.

Precious Achiuwa has really caught my attention. He's remarkably similar to Bam Adebayo coming out of college with better defense, mobility and versatility on defense, but with a raw offensive game. He's a freak athlete and moves like a wing but he's about 30 lbs smaller than Bam. He's ready day 1 to be an impact defender and has absurd switch ability. His ceiling is to be 1st team all defense, or even just what Bam is currently which is arguably the best defender in the league on Giannis. Has elite traits to be an elite rim runner and to develop into a solid offensive contributor. Here are the comparisons:

Precious vs Bam

FT% 59.9 65.3

;t=1894s

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Tangentially related to Achiuwa but the idea of jettisoning Kanter to leave so inexperienced a big men group of Achiuwa, TimeLord, Grant, and possibly Tacko or Poirier is alarming. Brad likes bigs with experience for a reason. Part of the reason why I don't see us taking a young big in this draft. And also the reason why I'm beginning to lean more toward keep Kanter for next season.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#665 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:

Precious vs Bam

FT% 59.9 65.3

;t=1894s

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Tangentially related to Achiuwa but the idea of jettisoning Kanter to leave so inexperienced a big men group of Achiuwa, TimeLord, Grant, and possibly Tacko or Poirier is alarming. Brad likes bigs with experience for a reason. Part of the reason why I don't see us taking a young big in this draft. And also the reason why I'm beginning to lean more toward keep Kanter for next season.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. I said "Kanter and Poirier leave after next year" meaning they will be on the roster for next year when Precious would be a rookie. Kanter has a team option for $5 million next year which I'd be shocked if Boston didn't pick up.

I am doubtful Kanter will be re-signed after his deal expires is what I meant.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#666 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:25 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Precious vs Bam

FT% 59.9 65.3

;t=1894s

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. I said "Kanter and Poirier leave after next year" meaning they will be on the roster for next year when Precious would be a rookie. Kanter has a team option for $5 million next year which I'd be shocked if Boston didn't pick up.

I am doubtful Kanter will be re-signed after his deal expires is what I meant.

Ahh, I'm with you now.

patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#667 » by patman66 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:28 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:Just went and looked back at the draft thread from last year lol. Holy hell people lost their mind after every Celtics pick! It was "Fire Ainge" and "He's trying to get canned" and "What is he doing" after picking Langford, Williams, Edwards, and Waters. People wanted Sekou, Nassir, and the funniest was wanting Bol Bol at 14.

Apparently Langford and Williams could've been picked in the 2nd round and were major reaches, despite every mock draft having Langford comfortably in the top 20 and Williams projected anywhere from 18-30 :lol:

But same thing happened in 2016 when people flipped about not taking Bender or Dunn. And in 2017 when Ainge traded the Fultz pick.

I'm convinced that if they took Zion or Ja at #14 there would still somehow be complaints about the drat.

90% of the board was happy with the Tatum/Fultz trade. I would trade romeo for Sekou right now. And I was pissed that we traded Thybulle last year. I did want Bender, but I was OK with Brown. A young jump out of the gym guy like Sekou, paired with Thybulle, Smart, Brown backcourt would be great.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#668 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:Just went and looked back at the draft thread from last year lol. Holy hell people lost their mind after every Celtics pick! It was "Fire Ainge" and "He's trying to get canned" and "What is he doing" after picking Langford, Williams, Edwards, and Waters. People wanted Sekou, Nassir, and the funniest was wanting Bol Bol at 14.

Apparently Langford and Williams could've been picked in the 2nd round and were major reaches, despite every mock draft having Langford comfortably in the top 20 and Williams projected anywhere from 18-30 :lol:

But same thing happened in 2016 when people flipped about not taking Bender or Dunn. And in 2017 when Ainge traded the Fultz pick.

I'm convinced that if they took Zion or Ja at #14 there would still somehow be complaints about the drat.

People like me, who wanted Sekou, Bazley, Little, Bol, Clark, etc over the stiffs Danny chose are being proven correct. And the same thing will happen in the 2020 draft. There will be better player(s) still on the board after every single Ainge pick because he's a terrible drafter and he will deserve scorn. I seriously doubt people would have complained about Sekou being taken. Why? Because unlike Danny's picks, Sekou has a well above average combination of size/athleticism/skill with high upside. Fans love these types of players. The problem is Danny seems allergic to drafting these types of players. Hitting on top 3 picks does not determine whether a G.M. is good at drafting btw.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#669 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

People like me, who wanted Sekou, Bazley, Little, Bol, Clark, etc over the stiffs Danny chose are being proven correct. And the same thing will happen in the 2020 draft. There will be better player(s) still on the board after every single Ainge pick because he's a terrible drafter and he will deserve scorn. I seriously doubt people would have complained about Sekou being taken. Why? Because unlike Danny's picks, Sekou has a well above average combination of size/athleticism/skill with high upside. Fans love these types of players. The problem is Danny seems allergic to drafting these types of players. Hitting on top 3 picks does not determine whether a G.M. is good at drafting btw.

What have Sekou, Bazley, Little and Bol done so far? Bol has zero career minutes. Nassir Little has done nothing, Sekou has done nothing. Clarke looks really nice, I wanted him super badly too. Proven correct after these guys have played between zero and 750 career NBA minutes lmao
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#670 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:35 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

I think the truth is in the middle, as it usually is.

Rondo
Al Jefferson
Bradley
Perkins
Tony Allen
Rozier
Olynyk

are all NBA starters he's drafted outside the lottery. Getting NBA starters outside the lottery is good drafting. And then guys like Delonte West, Jared Sullinger, Gerald Green have all had kind of abbreviated or on/off again careers but were good picks where they were drafted for being rotation players as long as they were.

In the second round he's drafted guys like Ryan Gomes, Big Baby, ETwaun Moore, Abdel Nader, Semi Ojeleye, Leon Powe, Those are all good picks in the second round as each has cracked NBA rotations.

In the top 5, he's made 3 great picks in Tatum/Brown/Smart. None of those were "no brainer picks" and he nailed all of them.

He's been a GM for 17 years now. Anyone that's a GM for 17 years is going to have their share of James Young, Fab Melo, Juwan James, Marcus Banks picks. I give him somewhat of a pass on the Yabu/Zizic picks since he was purposely just taking draft-n-stash guys to save cap space (to me, those picks represent poor roster management to be "stuck" with those picks vs. actually criticizing the draft aspect of it).

I think to say Ainge sucks at drafting is a huge overraction. But at the same time, you do make a good point about the lack of "high upside guys". I think most of Ainge's picks have ended up being good value for what you expect out of players picked at that spot, but he hasn't had a lot those type of HOME RUN picks. In general, it seems he drafts on the "safe" side. Less focus on upside and more on getting guys he can project. And I think he's generally executed that strategy well.

The key is that he balances this by getting his all star caliber players elsewhere. He's traded for Ray, KG and Kyrie. He's landed Horford, Hayward and Kemba in free agency. And then when he has had those high picks, he's nailed them with Tatum/Brown and then in the case of Smart not an all star but probably the best player on the board (I'm admittedly a Zach LaVine hater).

So it's got to be a multi-faceted discussion. You have to look at the draft as part of his overall team building context. His strategy is to go get those top of the roster guys through trades/FA. The draft he's used to supplement the roster with guys he likes the projection on. That's key because if you look historically we don't usually go for lots of vets with minimum/exception signings. We usually round out the roster with youth which requires those guys to be able to play so Ainge has shied away from the boom/bust thing.

It's very easy to go through and list all of the boom guys he should have taken, but that philosophy would have inevitably resulted in more busts which would have hurt in situations where was relying on those picks to take roles to supplement the star players he got through other means.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#671 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:45 pm

Im pretty happy with my evaluation of last years draft:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1743353&p=76379190

Yes, in effect. I have preferences, as do most, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the guys mocked 3 to 25 ended up the third best player in this draft. I would be surprised if anyone in that range was above Morant or Zion.

I didn’t understand how Langford fit this team longterm [still dont]. I loved Clarke and Grant Williams [was right here]. I wanted to take a shot on Little [swing and a miss].

**** happens and people have reactions— you couldnt find a person who was higher on Tatum pre-draft than I was, but I was mad initially at the Fultz trade because the value we received seemed poor [hindsight being 2020, looks like I was right]. I loved Jaylen pre-draft. I’m very confident in my abilities to evaluate talent long term.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#672 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:22 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Im pretty happy with my evaluation of last years draft:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1743353&p=76379190

Yes, in effect. I have preferences, as do most, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the guys mocked 3 to 25 ended up the third best player in this draft. I would be surprised if anyone in that range was above Morant or Zion.

I didn’t understand how Langford fit this team longterm [still dont]. I loved Clarke and Grant Williams [was right here]. I wanted to take a shot on Little [swing and a miss].

**** happens and people have reactions— you couldnt find a person who was higher on Tatum pre-draft than I was, but I was mad initially at the Fultz trade because the value we received seemed poor [hindsight being 2020, looks like I was right]. I loved Jaylen pre-draft. I’m very confident in my abilities to evaluate talent long term.

IIRC, you and I were both driving the Tatum train going back to his games at Duke. I also intially was surprised by the Fultz trade also. I also was happy with Brown as well though Murray was my favorite that year.

patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#673 » by patman66 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:55 pm

jmr07019 wrote:Good back and forth Buckners. Last thing I'll add is despite my criticisms I don't see Grant that differently than you. Just wish we had taken a guy with a higher ceiling. Go C's.

We should have just stood with thybulle
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#674 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:02 pm

I hated the Kyrie trade. We could have drafted either Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Michael Porter Jr. instead of a rental of a one-dimensional malcontent. Imagine the next ten years with Brown, Tatum and one of them? That's a potential dynasty. Here's what these two young studs did today

SGA-24-5-2
MPJ-37-12-1 with a steal and a block

it's one thing to pass on Giannis and Gobert, to pass on Jokic and Siakam multiple times, but to fail to see the landscape ahead of you and the incredible draft class that was 2018, the likelihood of a top 10 pick? Then follow that up with a disastrous 2019 draft. Man smh, It's just inexcusable how poor of a talent evaluator Danny is.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#675 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:30 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:I hated the Kyrie trade. We could have drafted either Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Michael Porter Jr. instead of a rental of a one-dimensional malcontent. Imagine the next ten years with Brown, Tatum and one of them? That's a potential dynasty. Here's what these two young studs did today

SGA-24-5-2

it's one thing to pass on Giannis and Gobert, to pass on Jokic and Siakam multiple times, but to fail to see the landscape ahead of you and the incredible draft class that was 2018, the likelihood of a top 10 pick? Then follow that up with a disastrous 2019 draft. Man smh, It's just inexcusable how poor of a talent evaluator Danny is.

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#676 » by djFan71 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:47 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:I hated the Kyrie trade. We could have drafted either Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Michael Porter Jr. instead of a rental of a one-dimensional malcontent. Imagine the next ten years with Brown, Tatum and one of them? That's a potential dynasty. Here's what these two young studs did today

SGA-24-5-2

I hated including the pick in the trade at the time. But, ultimately talked myself into it. It was kinda the perfect storm of:

1. Danny not picking a path (youth/win now)
2. Kyrie whining and wanting out, but IT not having enough value to get him on his own, and Danny wanting to pair him with Hayward due to #1.
3. We had the strong possibility of PHI's Laker's pick that year. The PHI pick thing just turned out wrong at every turn. The reverse protection was genius until it wasn't - the Lakers did better than the protections allowed, then SAC stuck us with #14 the next year.
4. Gordon getting injured and Kyrie falling apart sealed the deal.

In theory, we could have come out of that with Kyrie, Gordon and Luka or JJJ in addition to the Jays & Horford. But the Lakers won just enough games to screw that up.

Or without the Kyrie trade and protections, we have 8 & 10 in a stacked draft.

Instead, the worst timeline played out and Gordon got injured, we endured Kyrie and have 550 minutes of Robert Williams and 300 from Romeo to show for it.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#677 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:57 am

SGA-24-5-2

We wouldve taken Sexton and you know this. He fits everything that Ainge looks for to a tee.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#678 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 2:45 am

I mean hindsight that trade looks bad but in the moment I do that 10/10 times. Kyrie was a bonafide stud and top 10 player. I am 100% confident they make the finals that year if Hayward and Kyrie don't get hurt. Hayward injury also had a big impact on last year too.

It just didn't work out obviously for many reasons. Kyrie wanted to come to Boston and then leaves after 2 years. The master plan was to pair Kyrie and AD which is a dynasty in itself.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#679 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 2:58 am

With JJJ out for the season, looks likely that Memphis pick will slot in at #14. I think it's pretty clear they need scoring off the bench and I'm sure Ainge and co are aware of that, just like they were heading into 2017 draft and then picked Tatum.

So at 14, the best scorers on the board are likely to be Maxey, Nesmith, and Cole Anthony. I think they've gotta go with Tyrese Maxey if he's still there. He has the most upside as a scorer.

Aaron Nesmith is a dead eye shooter but doesn't have as much potential. I worry that his shooting is his only translatable skill and that worries me drafting only guys who can shoot. But, shooting is exactly what Boston needs haha.

My favorite pick is actually Precious Achiuwa but I think scoring is most important upgrade this offseason. I would like to see them add a veteran in free agency who can fill it up as opposed to relying on a rookie but not sure how many roster spots are available for a free agent to come here.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#680 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 3:11 am

I've really been liking Saddiq Bey the more I've thought about the needs of this roster. The bench absolutely needs shooting and scoring. They need to get a two-way player who is happy to play a role and will be okay not touching the ball every possession. I really like how the Villanova system has translated to the NBA under Jay Wright as well. I think Bey is the safest pick in the draft to be a role player but he doesn't have the ceiling to be an all-star. Here is a quick analysis of Bey:

6'8" 215 lbs with a 6'10" wing. 3 and D wing with versatility on both ends.

16.1 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 2.4 APG on 47.7% FG, 45.1% 3PT, and 76.9% FT. He's an absolutely elite shooter canning 45% on over 5.6 attempts per game.

Great spot up shooter with a quick release. That's literally all we need from a bench player and what we all desperately want Semi to be. Bey has some secondary playmaking skills as well. Versatile defender to guard the 3 and 4 which is what we need of a wing off the bench who won't get killed on defense.

Downside is he doesn't have great burst. Average athleticism and lacks a quick first step when driving to the cup.

Defensively, Bey was one of the better defenders on the perimeter in the Big East this season, with the capability of switching onto 1s or bigger 4s depending on the matchup. His length is a real weapon, and he knows how to use angles well after being coached by Jay Wright. He should turn into a nice role player with starter upside if he keeps shooting at the clip he did in college.

I think he'll get picked anywhere from 15-25. I'm assuming MEM finishes at 14 now so we would likely have to package 26 and 30 to move up to the 20-22 range to pick Bey.

I would LOVE coming out of this draft with Maxey and Bey.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Boston Celtics