ImageImageImage

Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#101 » by daoneandonly » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:12 pm

at this point start Cleveland or Wright. The Luka-Curry-THJ lineup is just so bad defensively, you have to tinker and try something outside the box.

Again, this is the FO's fault for not having enough wings in general, let alone defensive minded ones.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#102 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 5, 2020 12:44 am

dirkforpres wrote:Time to bump this thread. Rick is arguably the worst coach in the entire bubble. I can’t stand him

Totally disagree. Best coach in the NBA outside of Pop hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Post#103 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 5, 2020 12:48 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:I think Carlisle need to be more flexible, offensively the team is becoming too predictable, and defensively the team is terrible. He should be more determined to bench player for not playing defense (see what Pop has been doing in Duncan era), including Luka. No matter it is due to physical limitation (e.g. tried) or lack of mental toughness or willingness to play defense. I think this can set the great example to the whole team. In late game, involve KP more offensively if he is shooting well that night, either in low post or the foul line area. It is not that easy to double team him. Would rather have KP shoot over shorter defender than seeing Luka shoot a step back 3.

That would actually fall on Luka if their offense is getting stagnant. Carlisle doesn’t call set plays unless they are coming out of a timeout. Outside of that he’s given Luka the keys to the offense just like he did with Kidd. If anything he’s too hands off.

At the end of the day though Luka is going to really benefit from Carlisle’s coaching.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#104 » by HMFFL » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:06 pm

I have defended him in the past throughout the years on Realgm, so this won't be any different, and you should direct your attention to the front office, because they need to provide Coach with pieces he can utalize.

It's easy to blame the coach first, but he doesn't have many defensive options, and you can't force players to play/learn it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#105 » by HMFFL » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:08 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Time to bump this thread. Rick is arguably the worst coach in the entire bubble. I can’t stand him

Pop, RC, and I really like Erik Spoelstra.
I won't ever forget when Lebron James tried to get Erik Spoelstra fired and bullied him. Pat Riley stood behind his Coach.

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#106 » by dirkforpres » Wed Aug 5, 2020 2:53 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I won't ever forget when Lebron James tried to get Erik Spoelstra fired and bullied him. Pat Riley stood behind his Coach.

Someone explain to me what they’ve seen this year that proves Rick is still a good coach, cause it feels more to me like I’m watching Larry Brown after he left Detroit than anything
FIRE JASON KIDD
D3ko
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#107 » by D3ko » Wed Aug 5, 2020 3:09 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:Totally disagree. Best coach in the NBA outside of Pop hands down.

Someone explain to me what they’ve seen this year that proves Rick is still a good coach, cause it feels more to me like I’m watching Larry Brown after he left Detroit than anything

We have seen a 4º year tanking team getting to the playoff
The best offense in NBA history
A 21 years old PG exploding into a 1º All nba team
Reworking all the roster to fit the needs of your sophomore superstar.
Letting your injured All star Big man recover without (high) pressure , letting him getting his legs back , increasing his usage throught the season.
Getting a waste and remodeling into an asset ( THJ)
3 Role player coming from nowhere ( Klever,Brunson, DFS)

Come on , bro we have a lot to improve to get to contender status, but check out where are the other 10 teams of last years draft and tell me , who would you rather be?
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#108 » by dirkforpres » Wed Aug 5, 2020 3:22 pm

D3ko wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Pop, RC, and I really like Erik Spoelstra.

Letting your injured All star Big man recover without (high) pressure , letting him getting his legs back , increasing his usage throught the season.

Come on , bro we have a lot to improve to get to contender status, but check out where are the other 10 teams of last years draft and tell me , who would you rather be?

- Us making the playoffs isn’t surprising. We have a young team that got hot quick and then the season was halted. What’s more eye opening is the amount of blown 2nd half leads (at least 10). Lack of defensive adjustments and letting his players get too tired by the end has led to numerous collapses, and that falls solely on RC

- Any smart basketball mind knew Luka was going to be a star almost immediately, that shouldn’t be surprising to anybody... Also, any good coach would tell him to stop taking 13 step back 3s a game and to drive more.

- Porzingis recovering wasn’t even really an option. He’s not the 1st option and that alone takes a ton of weight off of his body. The Mavs have one of the best medical staffs in the entire league... I think a lot of the praise should maybe go towards them instead.

Ask yourself how come we have so many talented guys come through that don’t succeed here: Nerlens, Rondo, Odom, etc and why having a “great coach” isn’t more of a free agent draw for the Mavericks.

These players know.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM

Post#109 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 5, 2020 3:45 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
D3ko wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

- Us making the playoffs isn’t surprising. We have a young team that got hot quick and then the season was halted. What’s more eye opening is the amount of blown 2nd half leads (at least 10). Lack of defensive adjustments and letting his players get too tired by the end has led to numerous collapses, and that falls solely on RC

- Any smart basketball mind knew Luka was going to be a star almost immediately, that shouldn’t be surprising to anybody... Also, any good coach would tell him to stop taking 13 step back 3s a game and to drive more.

- Porzingis recovering wasn’t even really an option. He’s not the 1st option and that alone takes a ton of weight off of his body. The Mavs have one of the best medical staffs in the entire league... I think a lot of the praise should maybe go towards them instead.

Ask yourself how come we have so many talented guys come through that don’t succeed here: Nerlens, Rondo, Odom, etc and why having a “great coach” isn’t more of a free agent draw for the Mavericks.

These players know.

Actually making the playoffs is surprising considering no one thought the Mavs would make the playoffs.

And not every smart basketball mind thought Luka was going to be a superstar in his second season. The fact that multiple teams passed on him is evidence of that. Also don’t act like you don’t remember all the people that didn’t think he was skilled enough to even play in the NBA much less be an arguably top 10 talent in the NBA at 21 years old.

No one knew what we were going to get out of KP. Most thought he was injury prone and would still miss more games than he’s played. I guess Carlisle gets no credit for managing his minutes and keeping him healthy huh? I seem to remember Carlisle doing the exact same thing with Tyson Chandler.

As for talent that came thru that didn’t work... Odom? Seriously? Look at what his life has become since leaving the Lakers. That tells you everything you need to know about why he didn’t work out. Rondo has become a career journeyman. He benefited from playing with 3 HOF’s and it inflated his ego. He thought he would come in and take over the offense from Carlisle. He didn’t have enough skins on the wall for him to accomplish that in Dallas. You can put Nerlens in that same category. Being a top puck inflated his ego. He had to be humbled in order to figure out he’s not half as good as he thought he was.

Serious question for you.... if you had the choice to fire Carlisle who would you get that’s clearly better? Because to fire a coach like Carlisle he would HAVE to be clearly better. Don’t give me some BS like Jason Kidd either, he’s garbage as a HC.

Truth is if Carlisle was unemployed today he would likely have about 25 teams begging him to come and coach them.

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#110 » by dirkforpres » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:06 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
D3ko wrote:

These players know.

Actually making the playoffs is surprising considering no one thought the Mavs would make the playoffs.

And not every smart basketball mind thought Luka was going to be a superstar in his second season. The fact that multiple teams passed on him is evidence of that. Also don’t act like you don’t remember all the people that didn’t think he was skilled enough to even play in the NBA much less be an arguably top 10 talent in the NBA at 21 years old.

No one knew what we were going to get out of KP. Most thought he was injury prone and would still miss more games than he’s played. I guess Carlisle gets no credit for managing his minutes and keeping him healthy huh? I seem to remember Carlisle doing the exact same thing with Tyson Chandler.

As for talent that came thru that didn’t work... Odom? Seriously? Look at what his life has become since leaving the Lakers. That tells you everything you need to know about why he didn’t work out. Rondo has become a career journeyman. He benefited from playing with 3 HOF’s and it inflated his ego. He thought he would come in and take over the offense from Carlisle. He didn’t have enough skins on the wall for him to accomplish that in Dallas. You can put Nerlens in that same category. Being a top puck inflated his ego. He had to be humbled in order to figure out he’s not half as good as he thought he was.

Serious question for you.... if you had the choice to fire Carlisle who would you get that’s clearly better? Because to fire a coach like Carlisle he would HAVE to be clearly better. Don’t give me some BS like Jason Kidd either, he’s garbage as a HC.

Truth is if Carlisle was unemployed today he would likely have about 25 teams begging him to come and coach them.

People said the exact same thing when Larry Brown left the Pistons about how he was a great coach and 28 other teams want him etc etc but it’s just not true. I’m not going to completely dump on Rick because he was a good coach. Regardless though, the game has passed him up, the exact same way it passed Phil Jackson and plenty of other HOF coaches. As far as other candidates, there are literally dozens. Becky Hammons would be a must to at least interview. Jamahl Mosley would be likely the favorite to replace Rick though and I’d be fine with that... Just get someone in that will actually COACH
FIRE JASON KIDD
bamba123
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#111 » by bamba123 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:21 pm

HMFFL wrote:I have defended him in the past throughout the years on Realgm, so this won't be any different, and you should direct your attention to the front office, because they need to provide Coach with pieces he can utalize.

It's easy to blame the coach first, but he doesn't have many defensive options, and you can't force players to play/learn it.

Rick is terrible situationally, I can remember at least 5 games this season where he messed up completely. Also his rotations are terrible. That is not on FO or the players, that is all on him.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#112 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:00 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

These players know.

People said the exact same thing when Larry Brown left the Pistons about how he was a great coach and 28 other teams want him etc etc but it’s just not true. I’m not going to completely dump on Rick because he was a good coach. Regardless though, the game has passed him up, the exact same way it passed Phil Jackson and plenty of other HOF coaches. As far as other candidates, there are literally dozens. Becky Hammons would be a must to at least interview. Jamahl Mosley would be likely the favorite to replace Rick though and I’d be fine with that... Just get someone in that will actually COACH

No way Hammonds leave San Antonio. Also I still wouldn’t take either of them over Carlisle. Dozens of options but again, one of them are good options. None of them are clearly better than Carlisle. Also the last thing I would want for Luka is to have a learn a whole new system every 3-4 years.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#113 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:01 pm

bamba123 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I have defended him in the past throughout the years on Realgm, so this won't be any different, and you should direct your attention to the front office, because they need to provide Coach with pieces he can utalize.

Rick is terrible situationally, I can remember at least 5 games this season where he messed up completely. Also his rotations are terrible. That is not on FO or the players, that is all on him.

Who would you suggest that is clearly better than Carlisle? That would be a realistic hire for the Mavs?

dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#114 » by dirkforpres » Wed Aug 5, 2020 8:25 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:

No way Hammonds leave San Antonio. Also I still wouldn’t take either of them over Carlisle. Dozens of options but again, one of them are good options. None of them are clearly better than Carlisle. Also the last thing I would want for Luka is to have a learn a whole new system every 3-4 years.

Why exactly wouldn’t Becky want to leave San Antonio for Dallas? Literally everything the Mavs could offer her is better than what she would be leaving with the Spurs.

I’m not even saying she’s the best candidate, there are plenty of good coaches out there. You could get an overseas coach that would fit the mold of this team better or even a coach like Jeff Van Gundy would suit the style this team should play with better than Rick does
FIRE JASON KIDD
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#115 » by leolozon » Fri Aug 7, 2020 1:41 pm

I think RC, even if he sometimes make mistakes, is far from the biggest problem on that team (if a problem at all) and I don't think that things will suddenly get better if he leaves.

Other than Luka (and KP recently) EVERYONE on that team has been incredibly inconsistent on offense and EVERYONE has been inconsistent to downright bad on defense. You never know who's going to show up, so it's hard to have good rotations.

Who's going to score efficiently in the next game? Who's going to stay in front of his man? Who knows? RC doesn't know either.

I thought that this team was making the playoffs next year and now I'm not even sure considering things are going to get tougher with Portland and GSW probably bumping the Mavs. This squad just can't get things done until they become consistent and play some defense. All THJ and DFS have to do is hit 3s and show up on defense, and they can't even do it most of the time.

That team, when everyone is playing well, is probably top 5 in the league, but the problem is that it barely ever happens.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#116 » by HMFFL » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:02 am

bamba123 wrote:

Rick makes mistakes like anyone, but he has two great pieces, and the rest are trying to find themselves. The rotations must be creative at times since players aren't playing the mount of minutes they once did.

What messed up completely moments are you referring, too?

Mr B
RealGM

Post#117 » by Mr B » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:25 am

It’s great to see Carlisle outside of his basketball demeanor. Just being a good dad to his daughter.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Dallas Mavericks