ImageImageImage

Welcome Cam Johnson

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Re: Welcome Cam Johnson 

Post#201 » by skiz2 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:11 am

I am the UNC homer that posted a scouting report on Cam when he got drafted. So proud of him. I remember on that thread someone asked me if I believed that Cam was a better prospect than Justin Jackson. Thought it was interesting to watch Cam drop a double double tonight while JJax got a DNP coaches decision.

His ability to get his shot off is so valuable in today’s NBA with his length. I know it was one performance, and he still has work to do, but seeing him stronger makes me think that there is a possibility I may have even undersold him a little bit (my bias may be showing).

Anyways, hope you all enjoy!

My scouting report over a year ago:

viewtopic.php?p=77477211#p77477211

Hope Cam’s dedication in the weight room and on his game is contagious to his little brother Puff who is set to suit up for UNC this season!
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#202 » by Saberestar » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:51 pm

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#203 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,473

Post#204 » by Stix » Wed Aug 5, 2020 9:43 pm

Brandon Clarke ranking higher than Cam in all of those cats.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#205 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 5, 2020 9:47 pm

ZER0 wrote:

Clarkes good, no doubt about that. I am a little curious how he'll look the rest of the bubble as a starter. One of the things I was saying around last year's draft was I wondered if his lack of size/length would show up a little more against the best of the best PFs. The fact the league in general plays smaller really helps him.

But regardless he'll be a good rotation player for like the next decade. Very efficient and good defensive instincts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,467

Post#206 » by bwgood77 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:24 am

ZER0 wrote:

Yeah, but it was nice to see Cam outperforming his draft position in 2 categories....TS%, which we might expect, but he also is not a big who usually have an easier time there...and it's best to compare them to other bigs....and then the team is slightly better with him on the floor, which is big considering the rest of our bench unit.

Now PER is not the best stat, and relies a lot on blocks, steals, assists, and things that are not his strengths....and FIC is interesting, but also relies on those same things....and that simply isn't his role.

Obviously I would have preferred Clarke, but one can easily argue that Cam fits better with Ayton (unless Ayton continues to hit the 3 and Clarke does too)...that gives us what might be premier defenders at 1, 3, 4 and 5....and Clarke could switch on anyone, is a killer on team and help D, and we'd be very very solid on both sides of the ball. I'd easily trade our pick for Clarke, not that they would.

But Clarke would also be a great defensive anchor for the bench unit...he is a premier defensive and efficiency guy....very smart player and by the above stats, especially overall floor impact, you can see how much difference he makes when on the floor.

A lot of people miss floor impact when guys don't rack up points and assists, and the same happens with Bridges....though Bridges seems to be somewhat growing as a fan favorite. I always said I'd easily take him over Shai, even though everyone was pissed we didn't get Shai, with the rumors McD wanted him and Sarver overruled him...I still question exactly what happened there...the timing doesn't work. We did NOT know we could even get Bridges until the Sixers called us when we were on the clock...McD even said this at the time. How would Sarver even know to overrule him when he was gone to the Sixers with no indication they were going to trade him. I think Charlotte simply stepped in when they realized Miles was available. Anyway, if Sarver did overrule McD, which doesn't even make sense (many people miss the process and when we found out Bridges was even available), I'm glad he did it.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#207 » by suns12345 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 5:26 am

bwgood77 wrote:
ZER0 wrote:

Yeah, but it was nice to see Cam outperforming his draft position in 2 categories....TS%, which we might expect, but he also is not a big who usually have an easier time there...and it's best to compare them to other bigs....and then the team is slightly better with him on the floor, which is big considering the rest of our bench unit.

Now PER is not the best stat, and relies a lot on blocks, steals, assists, and things that are not his strengths....and FIC is interesting, but also relies on those same things....and that simply isn't his role.

Obviously I would have preferred Clarke, but one can easily argue that Cam fits better with Ayton (unless Ayton continues to hit the 3 and Clarke does too)...that gives us what might be premier defenders at 1, 3, 4 and 5....and Clarke could switch on anyone, is a killer on team and help D, and we'd be very very solid on both sides of the ball. I'd easily trade our pick for Clarke, not that they would.

But Clarke would also be a great defensive anchor for the bench unit...he is a premier defensive and efficiency guy....very smart player and by the above stats, especially overall floor impact, you can see how much difference he makes when on the floor.

A lot of people miss floor impact when guys don't rack up points and assists, and the same happens with Bridges....though Bridges seems to be somewhat growing as a fan favorite. I always said I'd easily take him over Shai, even though everyone was pissed we didn't get Shai, with the rumors McD wanted him and Sarver overruled him...I still question exactly what happened there...the timing doesn't work. We did NOT know we could even get Bridges until the Sixers called us when we were on the clock...McD even said this at the time. How would Sarver even know to overrule him when he was gone to the Sixers with no indication they were going to trade him. I think Charlotte simply stepped in when they realized Miles was available. Anyway, if Sarver did overrule McD, which doesn't even make sense (many people miss the process and when we found out Bridges was even available), I'm glad he did it.

I'm still sad we missed Clarke (mostly thanks to your hype BW, but also he gets lots of praise around the league).

That said, I really am liking Cam and I think he will be a good player for us and a good player in the league for years. Both could be good role players on good teams, hard to know who will be the better pick for us when all plays out (irrespective of who ends up the all round better player)
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#208 » by itlnsunsfan » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:43 am

Cam has been better in the bubble than Clarke so far. I can honestly say I believe Cam has a higher potential ceiling than Clarke.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,485

Post#209 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:53 am

itlnsunsfan wrote:Cam has been better in the bubble than Clarke so far. I can honestly say I believe Cam has a higher potential ceiling than Clarke.

Could Clarke be a smaller version of what we would hope Aaron Gordon could be on the defensive end IF he committed himself fully to that role as a ultra athletic utility defender/ playmaker? :dontknow: :nod:
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#210 » by God Squad » Fri Aug 7, 2020 10:32 am

From Bum to Baller. I've taken notice Cam Johnson. Kudos.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,693

Post#211 » by Qwigglez » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:28 pm

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,040

Post#212 » by sunsbg » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:26 pm

Thunder Cam after the dunk on McGee.

I remember Dan Majerle mostly with his 3PT shooting, but there are also some other similarities like being underappreciated picks and versatile to play 2-4.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,485

Post#213 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 2, 2020 7:39 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09

This is really cool and elite for sure! I hope that it's an accurate representation of our GMs keen eye for undiscovered/ underrated high end talent. :nod:
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,911

Post#214 » by LV-Suns » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:41 pm

Cam gets buckets, he might be our 2nd best scorer after Booker. I love how decisive with the ball when he gets it. Really eases the pain of losing TJ for nothing.
I Dont wanna be here
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#215 » by oddity » Thu Nov 5, 2020 11:42 pm

So Cam shot 106 out of 272 3pt attempts last season.
Klay shot 111 out of 268. Slightly better but easily same ballpark.
This kid is a baller. Mark my words.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#216 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 7, 2020 7:17 am

oddity wrote:So Cam shot 106 out of 272 3pt attempts last season.
The 3pt shooting didn't surprise me, everyone thought he could shoot. The rest of his game did, he's a little better athlete and that combined with his BBIQ make him a much better defender than I imagined he could/would be. He also has a decent handle I wouldn't be surprised if he develops a nice pull up game. I don't think he'll be an all-star but he's a nice player.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#217 » by suns12345 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 8:56 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
oddity wrote:So Cam shot 106 out of 272 3pt attempts last season.
The 3pt shooting didn't surprise me, everyone thought he could shoot. The rest of his game did, he's a little better athlete and that combined with his BBIQ make him a much better defender than I imagined he could/would be. He also has a decent handle I wouldn't be surprised if he develops a nice pull up game. I don't think he'll be an all-star but he's a nice player.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

He had a few poster dunks this season, which isn't that important in isolation, but I felt that was a good sign for him.

Athletic, aggressive, not afraid of the nba... all the things you want to see in a "shooter" to mean they could be something more than that.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#218 » by oddity » Mon Nov 9, 2020 12:08 am

Whoops forgot to clarify it was Klay's rookie season I was comparing Cam's 3pt output to. Hope that wasn't confusing
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
Stark
Junior
And1: 686

Post#219 » by Stark » Thu Dec 3, 2020 12:52 am

Don't want to jinx anything but i have a feeling next season Cam will start catching fire one of those games and drop 30+ points. I hope gets extended minutes call me crazy but i prefer him to Crowder as the starting 4.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#220 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 3:09 am

Stark wrote:Don't want to jinx anything but i have a feeling next season Cam will start catching fire one of those games and drop 30+ points. I hope gets extended minutes call me crazy but i prefer him to Crowder as the starting 4.

With shooters like Cam, you can almost count on a handful of games every season where they go for 7 or 8 3PM and finish with 30+. Shooters just get crazy hot sometimes and they just hit everything.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns