Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Game 68: OKC Thunder @ Memphis Grizzlies Aug 7, 3pm CST 

Post#1 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Update
Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Re: Game 68: OKC Thunder @ Memphis Grizzlies Aug 7, 3pm CST 

Post#2 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 7, 2020 6:00 pm

JV vs. SA should be a fun matchup...

I don't want us to lose, but I want our pick, too. So conflicted...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#3 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Aug 7, 2020 7:03 pm

getrichordie wrote:JV vs. SA should be a fun matchup...

What are the rules for that pick both this year and in the future?
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 7, 2020 7:21 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:

If we finish outside the top ten, we keep the pick. If we finish in the top ten, Philly gets 2 future seconds.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#5 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:10 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

If we finish outside the top ten, we keep the pick. If we finish in the top ten, Philly gets 2 future seconds.

Okay so either way Philly gets something. Just the difference between a late first or two future seconds. Would be nice to keep the pick but with all the draft picks OKC has I do not know if it is a dramatic need. In fact OKC might even be able to get Philly or another team to give up a late pick for the second rounders plus 3 million.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#6 » by NaturalThunder » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:52 pm

This is on track for one of the worst quarters in OKC history. 7:10 into the quarter and we're currently being outscored 20-3. At least we had a 12 point lead at the end of the 1st so we're not getting blown out...yet.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:53 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:What are the rules for that pick both this year and in the future?

Okay so either way Philly gets something. Just the difference between a late first or two future seconds. Would be nice to keep the pick but with all the draft picks OKC has I do not know if it is a dramatic need. In fact OKC might even be able to get Philly or another team to give up a late pick for the second rounders plus 3 million.

Until we actually have a young core besides Shai, I think there is a need regardless of how many picks we have at a later date. That's just my opinion.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 7, 2020 9:08 pm

I feel like Shai has the ability and moves in his skill set to be a great offensive player but he becomes a little too predictable by relying on the shots he's most comfortable with and the defense know it.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 7, 2020 9:36 pm

Tony Brothers is the most garbage official in the league.
NaturalThunder
General Manager

Post#10 » by NaturalThunder » Fri Aug 7, 2020 9:53 pm

We may come back and win this, but if not, our losses would be weird. Lost to the injury-riddled Nuggets and losing to the injury-riddled Grizz who have been awful in the bubble.

As great as we were in the 1st quarter, we've been even worse in the 2nd and 3rd quarters: outscored 70-41 in the 2nd and 3rd combined. And if we get the 6-seed, we will not beat the Nuggets. If we have any hope of winning our 1st round series, we need to be the 4 or 5 and play the Jazz or Rockets.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#11 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Aug 7, 2020 9:56 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:If we finish outside the top ten, we keep the pick. If we finish in the top ten, Philly gets 2 future seconds.

Until we actually have a young core besides Shai, I think there is a need regardless of how many picks we have at a later date. That's just my opinion.

I agree that it would be better to have it than not have it. I just do not have a really high value on picks in the 20's. That is not to say they cant become good players but usually they are not usually all star players. Sikiam and Butler were picked in the 20's so sometimes that is wrong but what are the odds? Sometimes in the past teams could buy late first round picks because better teams do not want to add another guaranteed contract for a marginal prospect. Actually Brian Windhorst just said he thought some teams could be willing to sell their first round picks this season partly because of Covid. Owners are feeling some financial pain this season.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#12 » by getrichordie » Fri Aug 7, 2020 10:02 pm

NaturalThunder wrote:We may come back and win this, but if not, our losses would be weird. Lost to the injury-riddled Grizzlies and losing to the injury-riddled Grizz who have been awful in the bubble.

As great as we were in the 1st quarter, we've been even worse in the 2nd and 3rd quarters: outscored 70-41 in the 2nd and 3rd combined. And if we get the 6-seed, we will not beat the Nuggets. If we have any hope of winning our 1st round series, we need to be the 4 or 5 and play the Jazz or Rockets.

Not really... we are w/o Schroder and Adams, two key players. Schroder allows us to run our famous 3-PG lineup and Noel isn't a proven starter by any measure...
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 7, 2020 10:07 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

I agree that it would be better to have it than not have it. I just do not have a really high value on picks in the 20's. That is not to say they cant become good players but usually they are not usually all star players. Sikiam and Butler were picked in the 20's so sometimes that is wrong but what are the odds? Sometimes in the past teams could buy late first round picks because better teams do not want to add another guaranteed contract for a marginal prospect. Actually Brian Windhorst just said he thought some teams could be willing to sell their first round picks this season partly because of Covid. Owners are feeling some financial pain this season.

Ironically the last time a team purchased a frp it was Utah and they drafted Rudy gobert who made his first all star game this year. Plus there is the possibility of using our pick plus the Denver pick to move up in the draft to get a better pick.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 7, 2020 10:17 pm

Bazley’s scrimmage bubble success against scrub trailblazers team was fools gold. His shots are all over the place. The only thing making him look good is Diallo’s box score.
NaturalThunder
General Manager

Post#15 » by NaturalThunder » Fri Aug 7, 2020 10:21 pm

getrichordie wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:We may come back and win this, but if not, our losses would be weird. Lost to the injury-riddled Grizzlies and losing to the injury-riddled Grizz who have been awful in the bubble.

Not really... we are w/o Schroder and Adams, two key players. Schroder allows us to run our famous 3-PG lineup and Noel isn't a proven starter by any measure...

Eh...fair enough, but they don't have JJJ and they had been pretty bad in the bubble (0-4 coming into today). Sure, they had a couple of close losses, so maybe they were due. Losing to them by 30 is still a pretty yuck/bad loss even without Schroder or Adams.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#16 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Aug 7, 2020 10:36 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Until we actually have a young core besides Shai, I think there is a need regardless of how many picks we have at a later date. That's just my opinion.

Ironically the last time a team purchased a frp it was Utah and they drafted Rudy gobert who made his first all star game this year. Plus there is the possibility of using our pick plus the Denver pick to move up in the draft to get a better pick.

I want OKC to have that pick if possible. Considering there is no home court advantage the downside is limited as long as they do make the playoffs.

Yeah that was a killer move for Utah. They really nailed that one and I forgot about Rudy when I mentioned the all stars that came from picks in the 20's. Gallo was on Denver at that point but I think that was not only a cash sale but a player trade if I remember correctly. Think Denver got Green or somebody from Utah in a preplanned deal.

Speaking of Gallo another 19 minute game. Not a big deal but I wish I knew why his minutes are so low each game. Gallo was the only plus OKC player in the game.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 7, 2020 10:40 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:I agree that it would be better to have it than not have it. I just do not have a really high value on picks in the 20's. That is not to say they cant become good players but usually they are not usually all star players. Sikiam and Butler were picked in the 20's so sometimes that is wrong but what are the odds? Sometimes in the past teams could buy late first round picks because better teams do not want to add another guaranteed contract for a marginal prospect. Actually Brian Windhorst just said he thought some teams could be willing to sell their first round picks this season partly because of Covid. Owners are feeling some financial pain this season.

I want OKC to have that pick if possible. Considering there is no home court advantage the downside is limited as long as they do make the playoffs.

Yeah that was a killer move for Utah. They really nailed that one and I forgot about Rudy when I mentioned the all stars that came from picks in the 20's. Gallo was on Denver at that point but I think that was not only a cash sale but a player trade if I remember correctly. Think Denver got Green or somebody from Utah in a preplanned deal.

Speaking of Gallo another 19 minute game. Not a big deal but I wish I knew why his minutes are so low each game. Gallo was the only plus OKC player in the game.

The Gallo minute situation has been odd.i had the game on my computer at work but didn’t get to watch as closely as I would have liked. Not sure if today was a result of just throwing in the towel early but bazley’s play wasn’t deserving of 27 minutes in a competitive game.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#18 » by getrichordie » Sat Aug 8, 2020 12:32 am

MEM had a lot more to play for in this game.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#19 » by thor19 » Sat Aug 8, 2020 1:02 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Ironically the last time a team purchased a frp it was Utah and they drafted Rudy gobert who made his first all star game this year. Plus there is the possibility of using our pick plus the Denver pick to move up in the draft to get a better pick.

The Gallo minute situation has been odd.i had the game on my computer at work but didn’t get to watch as closely as I would have liked. Not sure if today was a result of just throwing in the towel early but bazley’s play wasn’t deserving of 27 minutes in a competitive game.

Maybe they are giving him rest for playoff, I want Gallo healty when playoff start, if we can give more minutes to Bazley for develop purpose im fine with that
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#20 » by getrichordie » Sat Aug 8, 2020 3:29 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Ironically the last time a team purchased a frp it was Utah and they drafted Rudy gobert who made his first all star game this year. Plus there is the possibility of using our pick plus the Denver pick to move up in the draft to get a better pick.

I don't think the game was necessarily "competitive"...

I'm sure this is just asset management by Mr. Presti...
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder