ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba sent home from bubble to undergo a "comprehensive post-coronavirus evaluation" (Robbins)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Re: Mo Bamba contracted COVID-19 in June, says it significantly hurt his conditioning (Robbins) 

Post#21 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 5:52 pm

OrlandO wrote:Bamba (with help from the magic) should have revealed this sooner. Would have taken a lot of pressure off and avoided unnecessary drama. What was the point of hiding it?

What drama did it create? Do you mean that fans are arguing about his limited minutes? Maybe he felt better about revealing it now. Truth be told because of HIPPA laws, the revealing can only come from his say so. He had the right to tell the organization and anyone else he came in contact with in case he exposed anyone else, but he didn’t have to tell the fans.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Re: Mo Bamba contracted COVID-19 in June, says it significantly hurt his conditioning (Robbins) 

Post#22 » by Xatticus » Fri Aug 7, 2020 6:02 pm

While this certainly offers some clarification, it doesn't really answer the question. Apparently Bamba was cleared for some amount of game time for the first two games, but that's two DNPs in a row. If he was ruled out, why even suit him up? It seems to me that he is in the doghouse to some extent or another.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#23 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:14 pm

OrlandO wrote:Bamba (with help from the magic) should have revealed this sooner. Would have taken a lot of pressure off and avoided unnecessary drama. What was the point of hiding it?

In the military.. DADT? lol

Seriously though.. why? Is it required to immediately declare to everyone you had it? I mean, I just read this week and last week on relagm headlines about X and Y player HAD contracted the disease in the past few months and they didn't announce it then as well.

Personally however, it is every person's choice to declare it or when to declare it. I don't know his reasons why and I'm fine with it. What will be an issue for me is IF he is lying about having it or not. If he is, then it is easily proven no? I mean I'm sure the magic org would have his test results from whenever he got tested and can say he is lying or not.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#24 » by OrlandO » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:21 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:

What drama did it create? Do you mean that fans are arguing about his limited minutes? Maybe he felt better about revealing it now instead of later. Truth be told because of HIPPA laws, the revealing can only come from his say so. He had the right to tell the organization and anyone else he came in contact with in case he exposed anyone else, but he didn’t have to tell the fans.

A lot of out of context questioning and criticism of him and magic staff. That's why he's squashing it now. But I'm not asking why he's revealing it now instead of later, I'm asking why he didn't reveal it 2 weeks ago to avoid this very predictable scenario.... why the desire to keep it confidential? What did he have to gain from a lack of transparency?
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#25 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:27 pm

OrlandO wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:

What drama did it create? Do you mean that fans are arguing about his limited minutes? Maybe he felt better about revealing it now instead of later. Truth be told because of HIPPA laws, the revealing can only come from his say so. He had the right to tell the organization and anyone else he came in contact with in case he exposed anyone else, but he didn’t have to tell the fans.

A lot of out of context questioning and criticism of him and magic staff. That's why he's squashing it now. But I'm not asking why he's revealing it now instead of later, I'm asking why he didn't reveal it 2 weeks ago to avoid this very predictable scenario.... why the desire to keep it confidential? What did he have to gain from a lack of transparency?

I don’t think it really matters with the drama. He could reveal or not whenever he wanted.

Didn’t realize I wrote “later”. Edit.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#26 » by OrlandO » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:44 pm

RookieStar wrote:

Seriously though.. why? Is it required to immediately declare to everyone you had it? I mean, I just read this week and last week on relagm headlines about X and Y player HAD contracted the disease in the past few months and they didn't announce it then as well.

Personally however, it is every person's choice to declare it or when to declare it. I don't know his reasons why and I'm fine with it. What will be an issue for me is IF he is lying about having it or not. If he is, then it is easily proven no? I mean I'm sure the magic org would have his test results from whenever he got tested and can say he is lying or not.

Health transparency is important in sports. Fans and press are part of the game... gotta keep them informed when your play is impacted or it backfires. I don't think he's lying... he told the team a while ago, he just didn't want it public for some reason.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#27 » by Bensational » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:49 pm

There's every chance he didn't want to entertain the questions of how he got it, where he got it from, why he wasn't on lockdown before, was he on lockdown during, etc etc.

I think his announcement off the back of two DNPs is just his way of quelling the noise about his disappearance, and probably masking some more internal politics at the same time. Clifford clearly isn't a fan of his.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#28 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 7, 2020 11:47 pm

OrlandO wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Health transparency is important in sports. Fans and press are part of the game... gotta keep them informed when your play is impacted or it backfires. I don't think he's lying... he told the team a while ago, he just didn't want it public for some reason.

Yes it def is important in sports. If he told the team about it but didn't tell us fans then that's fine. The only problem would be if he didn't tell the team then.

I think the reason he told the media now is because a lot of fans are starting to question his DNP and thus the team allowed that info out.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#29 » by NotACat » Sat Aug 8, 2020 1:30 am

Buddy Hield stats playing after "recovering" from COVID:

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Black Lives Matter
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#30 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Sun Aug 9, 2020 2:30 am

As someone doing COVID-19 research (why I have not been active on the board)- we call these patients "long haulers"- the symptoms are terrifying and can last anywhere from 12-18 months (that time frame is what Chinese researchers found during the 2003 SARS outbreak which was also a coronavirus).

In light of this, I think its wise to shut Mo down and let him recover completely. There is also a possibility he might have lingering effects into the 20-21 season.
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#31 » by TheGlyde » Sun Aug 9, 2020 10:44 am

I think that many of the players who tested positive (particularly early on) were ridiculed, some fans even turned on them...

Its possible Mo was embarrassed that he maybe did something he shoudn't have been doing in quarantine to catch it and fans would have labelled him stupid, careless etc so he kept it quiet hoping he would recover by now and be playing and avoid any backlash... At this point, the symptoms are obviously lingering and the DNP's kind of forced his hand to explain his situation.

If you guys remember, Ennis also didn't reveal to anyone that he tested positive until he had recovered and cleared quarantine (even though we all figured it out).
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,710

Post#32 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 9, 2020 11:03 am

It's possible that Mo is an A blood type which is much worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,254

Post#33 » by pepe1991 » Sun Aug 9, 2020 12:28 pm

BAMBAEXPRESS wrote:As someone doing COVID-19 research (why I have not been active on the board)- we call these patients "long haulers"- the symptoms are terrifying and can last anywhere from 12-18 months (that time frame is what Chinese researchers found during the 2003 SARS outbreak which was also a coronavirus).

In light of this, I think its wise to shut Mo down and let him recover completely. There is also a possibility he might have lingering effects into the 20-21 season.

So 2 more years of excues, like he was any good before guy in China decided to eat raw bat
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#34 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Sun Aug 9, 2020 7:48 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
BAMBAEXPRESS wrote:As someone doing COVID-19 research (why I have not been active on the board)- we call these patients "long haulers"- the symptoms are terrifying and can last anywhere from 12-18 months (that time frame is what Chinese researchers found during the 2003 SARS outbreak which was also a coronavirus).

So 2 more years of excues, like he was any good before guy in China decided to eat raw bat

What I don't understand is why not shut Mo down for the season?
And why admit it now after he has struggled and been relegated to the bench? Almost like Magic realize he is not the prospect they once thought of and now trying to make sure his value doesn't bottom out.
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,254

Post#35 » by pepe1991 » Sun Aug 9, 2020 9:00 pm

BAMBAEXPRESS wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

And why admit it now after he has struggled and been relegated to the bench? Almost like Magic realize he is not the prospect they once thought of and now trying to make sure his value doesn't bottom out.

I don't understand Magic shady approach with media at all.

Remember when in playoffs they refused to officially annaunce that Bamba and Fultz won't play for rest of a year?
Bamba was " getting better" or whatever they were lying to media ,just to find out Bamba was not even ready to play full time in summer league ,months later, after season for Orlando was finished.

Whole Fultz "personal reasons" absence from a first week of a bubble is also shady. Why nobody asked why he was out? Isn't that most logical question. I mean we know that Zion was out for "personal " it was - close family urgency. So something about his mom, dad or brother :dontknow:

isaac injury situation. Did he have surgery ? Why he was out for so long ? Why they didn't do surgery in first place if recovery took so long? Did they rush last part of recovery? Was early injury connected with ACL tear ( some youtube doctor said it might be ) .

Than we got this whole Bamba corona thing where it's still hard to know what's true what's rumor, about him being tested positive, than being tested twice -false positive after.
Than they said he is limited on 5 mpg , just for him to play more game later or so...

Just... What's going on? How can president of basketball operations even manipulate media and avoid any backlash from media ? Because nobody cares for Orlando ?
Weltman would get himself fired after 1 week of Knicks media.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#36 » by Bensational » Sun Aug 9, 2020 9:11 pm

^^ why would you feel entitled to know the inner workings of the team? Some stuff is none of our business, and some stuff would be counter-productive to the team's plans. So even if forced to reveal more info, there's every chance it's some form of misinformation designed to shut up questions and focus on the basketball.

There's just not much to say about the team. We know the product because we've seen this version for the last two seasons, and something similar for the past 4-5 seasons.

The off court drama isn't worth unpacking, even if it's speaking to player tension.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#37 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:32 am

NotACat wrote:Buddy Hield stats playing after "recovering" from COVID:

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Good thing for Hield is that he has a track record for production before the illness whereas Bamba does not. It doesn't help that he has had fitness issues since his first summer league.
aka: prorl
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#38 » by Furinkazan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:34 am

So he had COVID ever since we drafted him?
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#39 » by Skin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:58 am

Furinkazan wrote:So he had COVID ever since we drafted him?

Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#40 » by npiper17 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 am

pepe1991 wrote:
BAMBAEXPRESS wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I don't understand Magic shady approach with media at all.

Remember when in playoffs they refused to officially annaunce that Bamba and Fultz won't play for rest of a year?
Bamba was " getting better" or whatever they were lying to media ,just to find out Bamba was not even ready to play full time in summer league ,months later, after season for Orlando was finished.

Whole Fultz "personal reasons" absence from a first week of a bubble is also shady. Why nobody asked why he was out? Isn't that most logical question. I mean we know that Zion was out for "personal " it was - close family urgency. So something about his mom, dad or brother :dontknow:

isaac injury situation. Did he have surgery ? Why he was out for so long ? Why they didn't do surgery in first place if recovery took so long? Did they rush last part of recovery? Was early injury connected with ACL tear ( some youtube doctor said it might be ) .

Than we got this whole Bamba corona thing where it's still hard to know what's true what's rumor, about him being tested positive, than being tested twice -false positive after.
Than they said he is limited on 5 mpg , just for him to play more game later or so...

Just... What's going on? How can president of basketball operations even manipulate media and avoid any backlash from media ? Because nobody cares for Orlando ?
Weltman would get himself fired after 1 week of Knicks media.

Fultz’s partner gave birth to his first child. Is this really something you feel a team needs to announce?

Return to Orlando Magic